Using chicken bone broth

Samphire

Hi all,

What do you do with your bone broth? I've just got back from holiday and I have some plain chicken bone broth currently defrosting. Before doing the whole 30 I would just drink it plain as a lovely snack. But during my first whole 30 I didn't really get organised enough to work out how to fit it into the template.

I also have a couple of lamb chops defrosting as well. No veggies in at the moment, but I'm going to pop to the shop near me in a bit to get some.

What would you do? Drink it plain? Make it into a recipe? Do lamb chop and chicken broth go together or is that weird?

• Moderators

I drink most of my bone broth by the mug in place of a cup of tea. When I am cooking something that could use some broth, I will use bone broth, but don't look for recipes to use up my bone broth.

Recipes may call for chicken broth or beef broth, but I normally use any broth I have when cooking without worrying about it. So I may make a soup with chicken broth and beef if that is what I have on hand.

I've been using it in the morning. I put leftover meat and veg in a bowl and pour the broth over to make a soup. It feels nourishing and it keeps me satisfied for a long time. The soup is nice with scrambled eggs in there too.

I also like it just plain in a mug.

I'm not a fan of drinking it, so I use it in soups and make sure I drink the broth out of it. Chicken veggie soup, taco soup, stews...and I agree that it doesn't matter if you use the broth type called for. I've even done a mixed broth (I had one pork bone and the bony refuse from a pack of chicken legs and thighs) and it turned out fine. Flavor is flavor!

• Moderators

Thanks Tom,

That's how I like my broth. As a simple drink.

Do you make sure to eat it with meals or is it ok to have in between?

I almost never drink bone broth with a meal, but sometimes drink a cup while cooking. Mostly I treat bone broth like tea, something I drink throughout the day. Even though there are some calories and nutrition in bone broth, I don't think of it as a snack or an element of a meal. I think of it as something that is good for me that I need to consume when I can fit it in. I drink anywhere from 1 to 3 cups per day when I have any made, depending on how the day shapes up.

The days I drink 3 cups per day are generally when I have been forgetting it is in the refrigerator for a few days and I need to finish the batch before it gets too old. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I add kale and garlic and other spices for a quick soup on the side of my meal. Gets me to eat more greens. I used to make gravy with it, but I used corn starch to thicken it. I'll have to figure out a new way to thicken it. And I love using it to pressure cook my chuck roast. It takes the broth to another level of flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived