Lyn's Whole 30 Log - Starting July 1!

Lyn1

Day 19:

What I Ate:

B - leftover duck, cabbage, and "no peanut" sauce (from Paleo Comfort Foods)

L - 2 scrambled eggs in ghee, cauliflower soup, cherries, apple w/coconut butter

S - snow crab legs, shrimp and spinach salad, berries, coconut butter and milk

How I Felt:

Tired today. Felt better in the morning and was sleepy in the afternoon.

Day 20: (Am I really 2 thirds done?)

What I Ate:

B - 2 eggs fried in ghee, sweet potato hash browns, cauliflower soup, green tea w/ coconut milk

L - Hazelnut pan fried turkey cutlets, green salad, vinaigrette, mango

S - More turket cutlets, sauteed bok choy with "no peanut" sauce, green salad w/ vinaigrette, berries, coconut butter, coconut milk

How I Felt:

Crappy. I think the crab legs last night may have had MSG in them. They were REALLY salty. Is there an app or something that tells you ingredients in restaurant food? I'd love something like that.

Day 21:

Excited about my farmer's market haul: real pork roast, pasture raised chicken, grassfed ground beef, pink heirloom tomatoes, garlic, watermelon (all organic). I love the farmer's market!

what I ate:

B - leftover turkey, salad, "no peanut" sauce, leftover sautéed cabbage and bok , cherries, green tea w/ coconut milk

L - 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash, tomato and cucumber salad, "no peanut" sauce, crio bru w/ coconut milk

Sn - apple, cashew butter, green tea

S - mocha ribeye steak, steamed broccoli, sautéed mushrooms, watermelon, coconut manna

How I Felt:

Headache for most of the day. I started doing Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred (OMG!) and I felt much better afterwards. (Legs feel like jelly though).

Day 22/23:

I missed logging yesterday's food and I was SICK today. Possible food poisoning or MSG in the salmon I had yesterday. Made it through my brother's birthday without straying. (I brought some mango and coconut manna to have instead of cake and ice-cream).

What I Ate:

Yesterday:

B- leftover steak, salsa, and guacamole, wrapped in bibb lettuce, cherries, coconut manna

L - (restaurant) grilled salmon with no sauce, sauteed spinach, and asparagus, roasted red peppers

Birthday party food: mango with coconut manna

S- fried egg, leftover turkey, tomato and cuke salad, 1/2 sweet potato

Today:

B - SICK (I think it was the salmon)

L - cauliflower soup, sweet potato, ghee, pecans, 2 fried eggs

S - roasted chicken and veggies, tomato and cucumber salad

How I felt:

Other than being horridly sick all morning, just fine! Actually, I am feeling much better now. I'm making a list of places to avoid eating and Deangelo's is on it!

Something that disappoints me:

My mother is diabetic and my brother is morbidly obese. I was hoping they would at least try the mango and manna. (I had brought enough for everyone.). My mother sniffed and humphed like she thought I was being rude by putting it out. They would not try it and only ate cake and ice-cream. How do you convince people that there are delicious healthy options if they won't even try it?

Day 24:

What I Ate:

B - leftover roast chicken and veg, mango and coconut manna, green tea and coconut milk

L - More chicken and veg, guacamole, sauerkraut, broccoli slaw

sn - apple and macadamia nut butter, carmelized coconut flakes (from Well Fed. OMG!)

S - Thai green fish curry, mango, coconut milk, and carmelized coconut flakes

If you have not tried the carmelized coconut flakes from the Well Fed cookbook (the recipe is also on the clothes make the girl website), you MUST try it! Totally delicious. It reminds me of eating warm popcorn.

How I Felt:

I've come to a realization today. I need to eat more food! I've been so tired and headachy lately, and I was reading on another thread that you need to eat more calories of you are breastfeeding. (I am.) So today, I had a headache and was so tired in the afternoon. I had a snack and immediately felt better! No headache and more energy. Bingo! I've been trying not to eat snacks at all, but maybe while I'm breastfeeding, I just need to go ahead and eat a dang snack!

I hear you on the cooking thing. I've never spent so much time cooking in my life! On this plan, if you want to eat something good, you have to cook it yourself. ;-)

Day 27: (Missed posting the past few days. Oh well.)

What I Ate:

B - 2 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, berries, coconut milk and manna, green tea

sn - Larabar (at the zoo. Everyone else was having ice-cream sandwiches. I had the larabar and crushed ice.)

L - sardine salad, olives, butternut squash casserole ( from Well Fed), cherries, rooibus chai, coconut milk.

S - spaghetti (meat) sauce with zucchini "noodles" (also from Well Fed. Totally delicious!)

How I Felt:

It's day 27 and I'm only now getting that boundless energy thing. yay! Went to the zoo with my baby girl and some friends. Still had energy to get a lot of stuff done afterwards. No nap, no headache. :-)

Yes, the cooking thing is making it difficult to get other things done! Wish I could hire a cook.... or a maid... or both! Oh well! I'm going to try to follow some of the Well Fed tips for pre-prepping food on Sunday to use for the week. (I think that's where I read about that...)

And I had the "snack to fend off the headache" realization, too! Also, more water helps.

So I thought the carmelized coconut flakes from Well Fed (which I meant to try tonight while my kids were eating popcorn, but didn't have time to make them) were coconut manna. But I'm realizing that must be wrong. What is coconut manna and where do you get it?

Coconut manna is very similar to coconut butter. actually, I'm not sure what the difference is because I've had both and they seem the same to me. I found it at Whole Foods. Also, you can order it on Amazon. They are both evilly delicious!

I recently got the Well Fed cookbook too. Her ideas are genius! I'm trying the weekly cookip this week too. (...but it'll be a Monday cookup.)

I think I spoke too soon about that boundless energy thing. Slight headache yesterday and had to have a nap today. I think I'm going to do the w30 again and really focus on sleep. (As much as possible with a baby demanding her 3 am feed.)

DAY 30!!!

Did I really get this far? I actually love eating this way and I want to continue. I'm not dying to go right out and eat bad stuff. I am, however, DYING to get on the scales! I didn't realize I was so compulsive about it. I'll wait until tomorrow but boy, do I want to get on it now.

Thank you, Derval. You have been so supportive to me! I appreciate it. :)

Last Meal: I treated myself to some Bora Bora Fireballs from the Well Fed cookbook. Yumolicious! They are so worth the trouble to make. Also had sauteed cabbage and salad with Sunshine sauce. Also delicious! I've tried both the No Peanut Sauce from Paleo Comfort Foods and the Sunshine sauce from Well Fed and the Sunshine sauce wins hands down.

I'm going to continue eating this way. I am convinced it's the way to go. Tomorrow I'm going to do a dairy cheat though to see how I feel. Reason? On Thursday, my husband and I are going out to celebrate our 9th anniversary at a fancy schmancy restaurant which is famous for their garlic cheese braided bread. I'm going to have a piece. It has wheat and dairy so if I have a bad reaction, I want to know if it was the wheat or the dairy. After that, right back on the program! (Although I might allow myself a paleofied dessert every now and then.)

Okay, I am seriously bummed! 30 days of clean eating and I have not lost any weight! Also, I only lost one inch in the hips. :angry: It's weird though because I started out wearing a size 16 and now I wear a size 14. How is that possible if I haven't lost more inches than that? Maybe I just measured wrong to start off with. My husband says my face looks thinner so that's good......but c'mon! Not even ONE pound?? Also, I still get tired and I still have headaches. Those are the 3 reasons why I did this diet in the first place! I wanna cry right now.

Ah Lyn, I'm gutted for you, I know you were excited to see the scales and your heart must have sunk.

Maybe take this evening off and start back in the the 8/1 possy tomorrow?

Take full body & face shots too!

Pick yourself & dust yourself off. Even though you didn't lose any numbers on the scale you were putting tasty wholesome food in your body, and nothing but, for 30 days, that's got to be a good thing, right?

Keep on truckin'

They say the scale doesn't mean much, Lynn, but I know how you must feel. Just think of how good you've been feeling (I think you said you were feeling great about halfway through) and the fact that your face is looking thinner. I don't know if you've been exercising, but if so you could've gained muscle, which weighs more than fat. Your body is transforming whether the scale admits it or not.

I have a lot of weight to lose to be at my "normal" BMI, so this first W30 for me is just the beginning. My plan is to finish W30, go through the reintroduction phase, take a couple of days "off" (not gonna binge, but I do really want to make these dark chocolate almond butter candies I found in Make It Paleo...there are a lot of treats in that book!) then I'm going back on the program. I'm going to really limit fruit and nuts to a once-in-a-while thing and just eat lots of meat and veggies...just to get the weight off. I'm also planning on starting Crossfit after reintro and all that. Maybe something like that will work for you. Just don't give up! You are doing yourself a lot of good!! Congrats on finishing :)

Thanks for the support. I am getting over it. Kinda. I'm taking a break this week and I'm going to do another whole 30. This time, I'm gonna lay off the fruit and coconut. looking back, I think I overdid it.

oh, and I agree that there are a lot of good- looking Paleo treats! It's nice to know that once you're done with the w30, you can still have a treat every now and then without sacrificing our health.

Archived