Family BBQ (with yummy salad recipe)

Yesterday we had a big family BBQ at my boyfriend's house. We did it potluck style so I knew most of the food showing up probably wouldn't suit my Whole 30. I planned things like grilled chicken, compliant burgers and fresh fish for grilling (I made sure my servings weren't doused in sauce or anything) and served Wholly Guacamole with veggies and a huge shrimp cocktail platter for appies. The family brought a Greek Salad made with feta and storebought dressing and a big potato salad....so I put my own big salad together for everyone to share in.

Mixed baby lettuces

thinly sliced red onion

roasted beets and carrots (in coconut oil)

thinly slices apples

toasted whole pecans (in coconut oil)

fresh Basil

dressed with lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper

So yum!

Everyone else ate storebought cake and pie for dessert (usually I make the homemade desserts but not while I can't taste test!) so I made fresh fruit salad with whipped coconut milk and felt good about not sitting there with a gut full of flour and sugar!

:)

That sounds great! I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy it has been to just serve Whole30 food to friends and family without anyone blinking. For the most part, this food isn't that "weird," I guess.

Actually, this food is so delicious, if you don't tell anyone it's part of your 'diet' they don't seem to give it a second thought. Makes me see how easy it would be to get others on board, if only they would understand the reasoning behind it, and why the SAD is so detrimental to their health.

That sounds great! I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy it has been to just serve Whole30 food to friends and family without anyone blinking. For the most part, this food isn't that "weird," I guess.

It's a heck of a lot easier to sell to people than vegan meats.

I don't see how it would be viewed as weird. My parents seem to think it will be "impossible to feed us" while we are on the whole30, but really, lots of people have salads to start, and vegetables with their meal, with a portion of meat. The only real thing being cut out, especially for dinners, is the carb portion, usually in the form of pasta, rice, or potato. The only oils I've cooked with for the past 2 years have been olive oil and coconut oil anyway, so even that hasn't really changed much.

The parts my bf has struggled with are not being able to use dairy (butter and cheese generally play a major part in breakfast) and things that we keep finding sugar in, like seasonings, bacon, etc. But he's getting the hang of it.

Dairy is going to be a tough point for me too, as I love cheese. My breakfast used to just be yogurt and nuts, and I needed milk in my coffee. The other tough point for me is going to be giving up gum, as I would pretty much be chewing it constantly.

But it really is amazing how many things have added ingredients that seem totally unnecessary. I had made a big batch of taco seasoning a month or so ago, only to discover the other day that the chili powder I used had sugar and vegetable oil. Had also made up a batch of taco beef to freeze some for lunches or emergency protein, which I can't have either. I'm just glad I discovered these before starting the whole30. But so many additives in things I wouldn't expect. Added caramel colour in balsamic vinegar, added soy in herbal teas. Just glad I had thoroughly read all the labels of everything in my kitchen before starting.

Archived