Help with tweaking the menu

Nadia B

Hi all,

I have a team lunch tomorrow. Manager of the place said that they are pretty flexible and can make changes to the menu. It looks very tricky to me. Happy tummy/compliance and no green-salad-no-dressing sufferings is the goal. Advice will be much appreciated.

• Moderators

How about going for a dry flat iron steak and special order a salad with all the ingredients you want and none that you don't. EVOO and lemon on the side and dress it yourself.

Must be frustrating for you since you always eat so well at home! At least you can order meat (not your strong suit, right?).

Keianna, that's the "suffer" scenario :D

How about going for a dry flat iron steak and special order a salad with all the ingredients you want and none that you don't. EVOO and lemon on the side and dress it yourself.

Must be frustrating for you since you always eat so well at home! At least you can order meat (not your strong suit, right?).

It is frustrating, because I have a reputation of a crazy one when it comes to food. Idea is to enjoy lunch without drawing attention to my food choices much. Another point is to avoid the image of a sad girl on the diet. That's why I've posted.

Steak was on my mind too! Not a strong suit to say the least. I can pull the spine out of squid with bare hands, roll pig's spleen (get the clue?) and cook tripe, but can't make a decent steak. Derval carries heavy duty of making me a decent meat cook. Lol.

Why can't people quit their jobs when others are NOT on Wh30 :)

I'd say the fish, the salmon, or the steak seem like good foundations. The mushroom soup seems like MAYBE it could be compliant, but you'd have to ask (maybe you could call ahead and ask to minimize day-of questions). Several of the salads look good

Maybe it is just me, but I would be too nervous to order cooked meats at the restaurant because who knows what kind of cooking oils and sprays are going on back in the kitchen (despite what you ask for). You don't want a boring "suffer" salad - I get that. There is a tuna tartare on the menu, which means they have fresh raw tuna. Maybe you could ask for an ahi tuna steak rare and seasoned. Good luck with the other stuff, I am seriously at a loss.

The salad isn't suffer food if you get some walnuts, apples, bell pepper, etc :-) make it fancy

Ok, I should have added that nuts, nightshades and eggs are out. Ooouch.

But I think I will follow your suggestion and make up the list of veggies and ask to grill them.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. It was my lucky day - chef is celiac. I shouldn't be happy about it, but I sort of was.

I had wild mushrooms soup (they swore that stock is homemade). Then I had the steak (no marinade or butter) and asked to gather nice side with whatever veggies will go with meat. Ended up with endive, arugula, radishes, beets and other winter ones. They brought me olive oil and balsamic bottles. I count this meal as compliant. I will know soon if they lied to me as I will have reaction.

Faces of co-workers - priceless. Yes, poor girl on the diet polishing that steak. Best part - I didn't have a tiniest bit of regret that I can't eat bread and pasta everyone was having. I didn't. Victory.

f0a83b6a-b493-4f45-abaa-70293ce22a2e_zps494802fd.jpg

e4ddf1a1-0e56-4adf-9cfc-4268c47401f6_zpse7653c43.jpg

Archived