Has anyone ever calculated their calories?

I know that we arent supposed to be calculating calories during the whole30, but I was curious today so I calculated my calories for the day and was surprised. Before I started the whole30 or paleo for that matter,I was eating 140-160g protein, 80-140g carb & the rest was fat/per day. Now I am hardly hitting 110g protein. I find it hard to keep my protein levels up with only 3 meals/day. Im eating huge amounts of protein at each meal and worry a little about overeating and gaining weight at the end of this whole30. My total calories lately have been 1500-1900 calories/day. I am 5'5 143 lbs with a muscular build. I lift weights 4xweek with cardio 2-3xweek. I've been struggling with metabolic issues from PCOS and just want to fix it. I have gained 25lbs since October and want to lock myself inside so nobody will see what I look like now. I'm really hoping the paleo lifestyle will cure me of my PCOS and help shed this weight that my body wants to hold onto.

Do anyone have any success stories they would like to share? If you have calculated your calories, where do you stand on #'s? Thanks!

I know that we aren't supposed to be calculating calories during the whole30, but I was curious today so I calculated my calories

STOP. just stop. I've counted calories before, and I can tell you that all it ever did for me is make me neurotic about calories and unable to nourish my body properly. It's impossible (outside of a laboratory setting) to know exactly how many calories you are burning and taking in, and even if it were possible, metabolism in the body is way more complicated than that. Luckily, your body is sophisticated enough to get it right. Feed it properly for long enough and eventually things start working and your hunger and satiety cues will actually line up with what your body needs. Really.

^^^

Yarp.

I see so many people trying to "figure out" the calorie thing. TDEE, TdEE - x%. This times that. X g of carbs. It's just adding stress and neurosis.

Just quiet the distractions of malfunctioning hormones and eat when you are hungry and till you are sated (or satiated? forget which is which--). That's what the W30 is all about.

Thirded. Also, don't worry about gaining weight. I know that sounds really weird, because outside of Whole30, we are told to worry about that constantly. But, really don't. Follow the meal template. Trust the program. don't calculate anything. Don't try to overthink things. It really works. It just does.

Thirded. Also, don't worry about gaining weight. I know that sounds really weird, because outside of Whole30, we are told to worry about that constantly. But, really don't. Follow the meal template. Trust the program. don't calculate anything. Don't try to overthink things. It really works. It just does.

^^^

Yarp.

I see so many people trying to "figure out" the calorie thing. TDEE, TdEE - x%. This times that. X g of carbs. It's just adding stress and neurosis.

Just quiet the distractions of malfunctioning hormones and eat when you are hungry and till you are sated (or satiated? forget which is which--). That's what the W30 is all about.

STOP. just stop. I've counted calories before, and I can tell you that all it ever did for me is make me neurotic about calories and unable to nourish my body properly. It's impossible (outside of a laboratory setting) to know exactly how many calories you are burning and taking in, and even if it were possible, metabolism in the body is way more complicated than that. Luckily, your body is sophisticated enough to get it right. Feed it properly for long enough and eventually things start working and your hunger and satiety cues will actually line up with what your body needs. Really.

Thanks so much to all 3 of you! I really appreciate it! I have good days and bad days. Somedays I'm comfortable not calculating and on my bad days I begin to question myself. I have always been VERY critical/hard on myself. I need to stop this. No more calculating!

One question though- today at lunch I had 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut oil, 1 pork chop and 1 1/2 cup broccoli. I was still hungry so I went back for another pork chop. Is this ok? Should I continue eating until I am full? I have problems sometimes with my body not telling me I'm full.

What Mm said! Your body gets it right. I really like this article "There is no such thing as a calorie to your body" if you'd like more on the subject.

We don't trust our body and underestimate it's abilities big time. However we trust someone who created an app/website and punched a bunch of numbers there. The worst part is not only being neurotic about the numbers. Your body learns with time that its' needs are being ignored. See where I am going? It stops sending you "I am full" signals. This is a true tragedy.

We have a built-in perfect "calorie counter" that we all managed to break over time. We don't need second one, we need to mend what's broken.

Don't be discouraged if the changes don't happen overnight. Please be patient and consistent. I've devotedly counted calories, I weighted every piece I was about to put into my mouth (even 3 grams of cheese, yes). I though I got it all figured out and calculated. I look back now and I can't believe I did that. Don't drag yourself into this misery.

Cheers.

What Mm said! Your body gets it right. I really like this article "There is no such thing as a calorie to your body" if you'd like more on the subject.

We don't trust our body and underestimate it's abilities big time. However we trust someone who created an app/website and punched a bunch of numbers there. The worst part is not only being neurotic about the numbers. Your body learns with time that its' needs are being ignored. See where I am going? It stops sending you "I am full" signals. This is a true tragedy.

We have a built-in perfect "calorie counter" that we all managed to break over time. We don't need second one, we need to mend what's broken.

Don't be discouraged if the changes don't happen overnight. Please be patient and consistent. I've devotedly counted calories, I weighted every piece I was about to put into my mouth (even 3 grams of cheese, yes). I though I got it all figured out and calculated. I look back now and I can't believe I did that. Don't drag yourself into this misery.

Cheers.

Wow. Thank you. Those words hit home for me. I'm going to have to remind myself of that whenever my doubt sets in. :)

• Moderators

One question though- today at lunch I had 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut oil, 1 pork chop and 1 1/2 cup broccoli. I was still hungry so I went back for another pork chop. Is this ok? Should I continue eating until I am full? I have problems sometimes with my body not telling me I'm full.

Eating another pork chop was not only okay, it was the right thing to do if you were feeling hungry.

I bet you all brought a tear to Tom's eyes with these knowledgeable responses!

Everybody: You said what needed to be said better than I could and with real authority. I'm proud of you.

Eating another pork chop was not only okay, it was the right thing to do if you were feeling hungry.

Everybody: You said what needed to be said better than I could and with real authority. I'm proud of you.

I truly can't believe how supportive everyone on this forum has been. I love you Whole9/Whole30 family! Xox

Great article Nadia. Thanks.

I also used to weigh my cheese. And when I made food I would weigh the whole thing and divide into grams so I knew the exact weight each portion should be. (This was after running recipes through a nutrition calculator.)

This is so much easier.

Archived