Resting an Injury while on Whole 30

eteson

I'm finishing up day 8 of my first Whole 30, and I have what is probably a pretty stupid question:

This morning, I hurt my hand, and will be unable to workout for at least the rest of the week. I'm frustrated that I won't get to do Crossfit (which is something that I love), but I'm also paranoid that I won't be seeing the results from the Whole 30, since I have to take at least this week off, and then my workout opportunities seem to always disappear during the last week of classes and finals (which are next week and the following week).

Am I going to be missing out? I normally Crossfit 5 days a week, so I'll be going from that + walking on campus (which can be up to a mile from car to class and vice versa) to just my walking on campus.

Any help for this worrywart?

I think because almost all of Whole30 is about adjusting your relationship with food and resetting behaviors around eating, you aren't going to be missing out or disrupting Whole30 at all. Just take time to heal; know that caring for yourself is important, and, because "it starts with food," the changes you are making are still going to be important, and you will still probably see evidence of them.

Well if you hurt your hand, you can still do some other kinds of workouts right? Maybe do some lower body workouts. Squats, lunges, or core workouts even. Maybe some cardio? At least something to stay active, even if not resistance training.

Also, a lot of people notice a dip in performance when they switch to a Whole 30/paleo diet, so you might be doing yourself a favour resting now anyway, rather than trying to push through when you hit the lack of energy stage (you sound like the type to push yourself hard :) )

But angekfire is right - there's still lots of stuff you can do without your hands - stationary bike at the very least.

Rest easy. I did my first Whole30 a year ago while recovering from foot surgery and I was basically sedentary for the whole thing. It was hugely successful, including more weight loss than I would have expected with basically no exercise (only PT).

The one thing I would advise is if being unable to exercise will stress you out, then you should do *something* because stress is not good for you (or your Whole30 results). Like others mentioned, there are things you can do without your hand that will get you moving (stationary bike, walking, etc) and that might be important for your mental well being more than your physical one. ;)

Virtually my entire whole 30 was "workout-less" due to recovery from multiple injuries (back in February). I was paranoid (or vein) I'd lose all the muscle tone/cut that had been in the making for years! (I was diagnosed with two separated shoulders/ac joint sprains, and plantar faciatis that would not clear up since last july.) I am still not lifting . When I was able to manage something in the gym (core did not use my shoulders or feet!) people who knew me from the gym asked me what I had done because, according to them, I looked better. :o All I could think to myself (painfully) was I have not lifted since November.

I also had to be creative in how I could just get myself to the gym to do something because working out for me is my peace of mind. I have learned the importance of taking care of my body, and through food/whole 30 is probably more important and results oriented than the delusion I was under about the intensity of and frequency of working out.

I wouldn't worry too much-- if you are burning fewer calories then your brain/body should signal you to intake fewer calories. It's actually probably a good thing that you were injured now instead of when you weren't on a Whole30 b/c the hormonal signals that your brain is sending to your body (and vis versa) should be clearer than ever. If you weren't on a Whole30, then you might end up over consuming out of habit without those clearer hormonal signals.

Plus I am sure that you will notice a difference once you get back to the gym-- the second half of my first Whole30 was where I had all my gains and began to feel great.

Archived