Baby healthy but underweight/doc is advocating whole grains??

nutmegh

Ok so my son is overall a very calm, healthy little boy (10 mo). He's just really skinny. I breastfeed him for times a day plus three paleo meals of meat, veggies, and fat such as avocados, eggs, olive oil, etc with the occasional full fat yogurt. He's been at the same weight now for a few months and he is close to 3rd percentile which has the doc concerned as to why he isn't showing any weight gain, and frankly I am too. She suggested to add 10-12 more oz of either breastmilk or formula which I'm fine with even though formula isn't optimal. But she suggested that I include whole wheat pasta and other such things as part of a 'balanced diet' which made me cringe. I told her we don't eat any of it and she was a bit shocked and tried to get me to see its for my baby not me or my husband. I really like her otherwise, but I do not want to give him whole wheat. Anyone have advice as a substitute? Maybe flax derived or gluten free foods? The goal is to just get him to gain weight at this point and if he doesn't, tests will ensue. Which, of course, I'm hoping to avoid. Help or advice would be greatly appreciated

What you are feeding him now sounds perfect. There is nothing in whole wheat that he isn't getting from vegetables...and adding that or flax or gluten-free pseudo foods would be making his diet worse not better. If anything could be tweaked, you might want to look at the amounts of starchy veggies (maybe more) and whatever you can do to get him to take in more food in general, ie. if he gets full really quickly from fats, you might reduce that and add more veg? or try having four meals instead of three, etc. Maybe even take some tips from Dallas' "clean mass gain program?" Also, does he seem healthy and thriving otherwise? I've had friends go through hell and back trying to pack weight on their healthy little girl to get her to the right percentile only to realize that she is just a petite little kid with small parents and she was really fine. Not saying that is you or not, but sometimes those charts just don't make a lot of sense.

I know two parents personally who have kids at the very bottom of the range on weight. One is only 18 months old, and she has always been small. Her pediatrician is not worried because she has seen a journal of what this kid eats and knows she's eating enough, plus she's always been small.

The other friend has a 4 year old who at 2 years old was measuring "too small" on the weight scale. They ran this child through 6 months of tests, including checking for cancer, and even accused the parents of starving her. They are not at all paleo and I remember seeing this kid eat 5 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausages and a big cup of milk all in one sitting, then eat a normal lunch four hours later. This kid ate, and was fed as much as she desired. She was just small.

She is still underweight at 4, but now that they have a new doc, it isn't an issue anymore. And, she is normal in every way, just a little short and skinny. But, weird, her mom is short too.

Come to think of it, I was actually "too skinny" and looked "too pale" when I was little and was put through a battery of tests when I was 4 over it. Nothing was wrong. I was just a super-skinny, very white little girl. Then a few years later I hit puberty. That fixed that!

I am not cool with doctors that are obsessed with the charts. Some kids just don't apply to them. My daughter didn't start talking until almost 18 months. Not one word. Some docs would have already labeled her with some disorder by 14 months. My doc just told me she was probably a late talker - and she was. She carries on full conversations now at almost 3.

I guess the point I'm making here is you might want to grab a second and third opinion before you do something you don't agree with. Being at the bottom of a chart doesn't necessarily mean anything. Kids are different and grow differently. The chart is just an average and any doc that doesn't remember that is probably not a doc I would want to have.

Thanks mommies! She actually is my second opinion because he hasn't gained any weight in about 4 months. I'm usually right on board with the whole not following the whole weight chart thing, but 4 months of no weight gain has me slightly worried. What can I say? Moms worry. The good thing is this doc is taking the lets double up on breast milk and supplement with formula approach to see if he can put on weight. She was more concerned that I am not producing enough. After I've thought about when I started to completely cut out bread, grains, etc is about when he started to plateau. I'm sticking with it for now and don't want to change my diet but I'd rather my son get the best if I have to sacrifice a little for a short time to get him to at least gain gradually. We'll see what happens.

have you tried coconut milk ...my 10month old grandbaby loves it...she is really tiny only14 lbs...her dr. suggested formula to augment breast feeding.. so my daughter found some on line that was goat milk based.....seemed alot healtier than most and she will continue to breastfeed

nutmegh - does your son have any other health issues? My son was tiny, too, but we figured he just got the shrimp gene (my mom is 5 ft) instead of the tall gene (my husband is 6ft3in). He also had pretty bad reflux. The meds weren't working, so working with a naturopath, we got him off the reflux meds and started high doses of enzymes and probiotics. In 6 months, he went from 10% on the charts to 75% for height (still 50% for weight). We later found out that food allergies were part of it and an elimination diet made things even better. Anyway, my point, I guess, is that maybe you want to try enzymes and probiotics just to see if they help. Even with an awesome diet, he may not be getting the nutrients he needs from his food and adding grains certainly won't help with that. It might be worth a try and it won't hurt.

If he started to plateau when you cut the grains, what about bumping up your carb heavy veg and see if that helps with him breastfeeding. I know my son LOVES homemade mayo--although your little guy is a little early for whole egg. Like MM said about the extra fats filling him up, I second the starchier foods, and perhaps bananas? One of my son's favorites when he was a new eater was mashed banana and avocado. I kept it tightly covered so it didn't brown very much, but he loved it! Good luck mamma!

Archived