Finished Whole30 and Feeling Obsessed

So today is my last day of Whole 30. My husband and I successfully completed 30 days, yay! I didn't have any "miracle" stories to relate, but we noticed very small improvements to certain areas, although I'm sad to say I never felt an energy spike. Quite the opposite, I felt exhausted each day from working so hard to cook all the time. It's a lot of work. But, even so, I read It Starts With Food, and I'm really grateful for all I learned about health, nutrition, and food during the month!

I'm writing because I seem to have the opposite problem of most people. I know this program is meant to promote a healthy relationship with food, but contrarily, I seemed to have developed an absolute OBSESSION with food now. Before Whole 30, I ate pretty much whatever, although I did try to increase my intake of vegetables by becoming a pseudo-vegetarian. However, I totally ate anything, and everything, and I am a skinny-minny. I'm 5'4" and weigh 100 pounds. So I definitely had no weight to lose. However, even though my food choices have improved, I CAN'T STOP thinking about food now. I think about it every minute of the day. I'm constantly planning what I'm going to eat next. I'm obsessive about researching new recipes. It feels so unhealthy to think about food this much, when I felt like I had such a "healthier" relationship with food before, when I absolutely didn't monitor anything that went in my mouth.

Anyone else experience this? I like what I'm eating now, the food is tasty and healthy, which is awesome! But folks I DREAM about food now... it kind of creeps me out.

I struggle with this too.....tonight my daughter had a ball practice and to get to know the kids the coach had them say their name and their favorite food. All of the little girls said things like pizza, cake, apples, enchilada's, etc....and while I recognize these foods are unhealthy, they sounded so convenient and easy and normal.........My food is weird, complex, and time consuming. BUT, the trade off for that is health. Those foods make me less healthy. Even though you don't have an outer issue.....you very well could be healing diseases inside by the way you are feeding your body. I just read an article about Jada Pinkett Smith (Will Smith's wife) and she said she does not eat for pleasure. She eats simply to fuel her body and eats only whole foods. I thought what a great simple way to look at it....fuel....not obsession......not all encompassing.....just fuel. Fuel so that I can have great relationships, be a great parent, be a great wife, have JOY in things of life, not food. Its a process and a learning experience. Be proud of the last 30 days and look ahead at maybe tapping into more peace surrounding it. I'll be workin' on it with ya!

Eat to live. Not live to eat. Right?

Pre-planning and doing big cook-ups (with leftovers) will help you not be constantly in the kitchen. I'm the primary cook in my family and a little preparation goes a long way. I'd be pulling hair out if I cooked every meal from scratch. Leftovers and base ingredients in the fridge makes me a happy camper (or cook in this case).

My food is weird, complex, and time consuming. BUT, the trade off for that is health.

I think this might be the key to the issue, here. Your Whole30 food does not have to be anything close to weird, complex or time consuming. I often see that folks become preoccupied with intricate dishes - it's like they feel that the complication factor will make up for the salty, sweet, greasy, whatever factor that their old food had. I really suggest focusing on simple meals - meals made of components - for a week. At my house, we enjoy things like bunless burgers, roasted chicken, steak and just pair them with two veggies. Most meals take less than 15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of active cooking time (some foods have a longer inactive time, but those are usually crockpot meals).

I felt exhausted each day from working so hard to cook all the time. It's a lot of work.

Agree with Robin! Are you making really labor-intensive recipes? If you're just cooking for 2, it doesn't seem like it should leave you this exhausted. Is your husband helping? If not, can he? My boyfriend and I cook everything for the following week on Friday afternoons. Together. It's a chore for sure, but we pick 5-6 recipes for the week and at least 2 of those are very simple, like a crock-pot roast or a meat that is just mixed with some vegetables and a few spices. I tried to get all fancy the first week or two, but quickly came to my senses and started skipping over the recipes that took too long. You can even just have tuna fish, boiled eggs, or hamburger patties once in awhile. 'Compliant' doesn't have to mean complicated. Maybe if you aren't laboring over cooking every single day, it will help you obsess over food a little less?

If you're really obsessed, could you please come to my house & cook for me, lol?

Kidding aside, could it be a "honeymoon" type thing where you think about food all the time because it's new and exciting?

Do you make a meal plan for each week or do you wing it each day? The pressure of making meals every day with no plan would definitely cause me to become obsessive! Are you getting a lot of feedback or attention from your family about the meals? Maybe the meals are filling a void or expressing some emotion that can't be openly stated...

Before Whole 30, I ate pretty much whatever, although I did try to increase my intake of vegetables by becoming a pseudo-vegetarian. However, I totally ate anything, and everything, and I am a skinny-minny. I'm 5'4" and weigh 100 pounds. So I definitely had no weight to lose. However, even though my food choices have improved, I CAN'T STOP thinking about food now. I think about it every minute of the day. I'm constantly planning what I'm going to eat next. I'm obsessive about researching new recipes. It feels so unhealthy to think about food this much, when I felt like I had such a "healthier" relationship with food before, when I absolutely didn't monitor anything that went in my mouth.

I have the same thing; since I went Paleo about a year ago I've destroyed my once-healthy relationship with food. I would eat a serving of ice cream out of the pint, and then put the pint back in the freezer because I was done! I ate a generally healthy diet, but didn't sweat the small stuff if I wanted dessert sometimes, and never really thought about what I was going to eat until I was eating it. And I've always been thin; I didn't lose any weight switching to Paleo, nor did I want to. Now, I can't have any nuts or fruit or even some sweet vegetables like carrots in the house because I'll binge like crazy, not to mention sugary junk food! Like you, I never had food dreams until I started restricting my diet.

Definitely second what everyone else says about find ways to make the cooking easier (it shouldn't be exhausting), but unfortunately I have yet to discover a way to get my healthy attitude towards food back while keeping the restrictions of the W30 in place. I'm almost coming to accept that the trade-off for better physical health is terrible mental health (food obsession, isolation, restriction, deprivation, loneliness...).

unfortunately I have yet to discover a way to get my healthy attitude towards food back while keeping the restrictions of the W30 in place. I'm almost coming to accept that the trade-off for better physical health is terrible mental health (food obsession, isolation, restriction, deprivation, loneliness...).

Have you read this article http://whole9life.com/2012/02/whole30-gone-bad/ I found it a real eye-opener and it really made me stop and think about food obsession etc

I'm constantly planning what I'm going to eat next. I'm obsessive about researching new recipes. It feels so unhealthy to think about food this much, when I felt like I had such a "healthier" relationship with food before, when I absolutely didn't monitor anything that went in my mouth.

Anyone else experience this? I like what I'm eating now, the food is tasty and healthy, which is awesome! But folks I DREAM about food now... it kind of creeps me out.

You could just be dreaming about food because you've been thinking about it so much recently.

Personally, I tend to get a bit overzealous whenever I start something new and do loads of research about whatever it is and put lots of time into it when it's brand new. I only wish I'd had this problem when I was in school, I probably would have gotten better grades.

And I'm totally obsessive about looking for and trying new recipes, but I see cooking as a hobby more than a chore and I only do it because I enjoy it. (I'll even watch the Great British Bakeoff because I like to see all the pretty cakes they make, not because I have any intention of baking cakes myself)

Archived