Pregnant with twins!

Amosmax

Has anyone attempted a Whole30 while pregnant with twins? I've completed one whole30 and it was great! I've tried to stick to paleo but the beginning of this pregnancy was awful and I had strong food aversions. I'm well into my second trimester, 19 weeks, and everything is fine but I don't feel good about my nutrition, and I'm still getting sick at times. I need to ditch the grains and greatly increase my veggies. I still have a very hard time getting veggies down without gagging, and I know most days I'm not able to eat as many calories as suggested for twins. My weight gain is on track, but I was still a little overweight before becoming pregnant and my body fat was a high. I just don't want to gain too much but gain enough "good" weight that the babies are big and healthy and recovery for me is easier. Any words of wisdom regarding trying a whole30 while pregnant with twins would be helpful, since it is soooo different that just one baby.

Congrats!!!!! I had no idea what Whole30 (or Paleo) was when I was pregnant with twins, so I'm not sure I can give any specific advice there. My girls are 9 1/2 now, wow! I remember eating lots of meat and spinach (also lots of cheese and tortillas - anything I could keep down, since I had nausea until pretty much the precise moment of delivery :wacko: ). Have you read the Barbara Luke book, or seen her website, yet? She was my guide through my pregnancy, so I recommend her - though she's not remotely connected to the Whole30 world. I would imagine that her nutritional guidelines could be adapted for Whole30, or for Paleo/Primal.

Congrats again! :wub: :wub:

Ok, I have that book! I guess I just didn't pay attention to the author. That's actually what I'm reading now and it is very helpful with the nutrition. I'm starting to think a Whole30 wouldn't be a good idea, because I just can't get enough calories in. I'm trying to clean things up by sticking to the whole9 principles but I'm drinking milk (I love it and tolerate it well) and having white rice with my meat and veggies. Veggies on their own just don't go down easily right now, it's awful.

This may not be a Whole30-approved response, but I'm not a moderator so I'll go for it: eat what works for you. It sounds like you're not sitting around eating big sacks of potato chips or other junk food. So, eat. My two (haha) cents.

Hey ladies, I really recommend that you read Melissa own post on her pregnancy and food aversions. I think you will be surprised to find Melissa is human and not a demi-god, but she also had some strong aversions to whole30 foods and had to improvise.

"While pregnancy is not carte blanche to give into every junk food whim and desire, you also have to be kind to yourself, and not expect perfection. Your everyday diet may be pretty close to Whole30, but pregnancy is a different ballgame." http://whole9life.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

http://whole9life.com/2013/02/aprilv-success/

Good point, Megan. I tend to ignore what people who are/were pregnant with singletons say about pregnancy (at least when talking with others who are/were pregnant with multiples) because the dynamics of the pregnancies are so different. But one thing that is certainly a common thread is food aversions - and on the other hand, foods one Must. Have. NOW. Speaking as a civilian of course, I think that Melissa's articles address that issue beautifully for both singleton and multiple pregnancies.

Another :wub: :wub: for our twin mama to be. (what kind of stroller are you getting????)

Archived