Doin' it and doin' it and doin' it well?

Anita

Today is Day 3 and I'm dying. I probably jumped into this without enough preparation, but I've done well for 2 days. Today I'm considering if this was the best time in my life for me to do this, but I started, so I'll finish. That's just how I am.

I've been doing alternative allergy treatments (NAET) every weekend since the end of January. I've had bad allergies and food intolerances since I was born. The older I get, the worse they seem to get. I've mostly suffered with my allergies as an adult after a childhood of western medicine treatments that didn't help. I do use Traditional Chinese Medicine remedies when it's really bad. My body is so sensitive that I don't like to take western medical treatments. With my body, traditional western medicine does what I call "fix one thing, break another." However, 3 years ago I began using a steroid nasal spray daily. My doctor assured me the level of steriods was too low to cause weight gain. Sensitive body = not typical results. I put on 5 lbs a year per year, so had gained 15 lbs. (See? Fixed one thing, broke another.)

Additionally, everything I was eating was making my stomach hurt, along with other symptoms. Eating Paleo helped, but I think I was still reacting to foods I was eating. I haven't had actual tests for allergies since I was young, so identifying what foods were causing reactions is difficult. My desperation drove me to NAET. The treatments are helping. But it's also been an emotional rollercoaster and has felt like 3 months of detox already. Every single food issue of mine has come up around these treatments. I went to crazytown and ate things I would never eat, so that resulted in even more weight gain/bloating. In search of some support and more self-control, I reached for the Whole30. But given how I'm feeling, adding the detox symptoms from the Whole30 on top of what I've already been experiencing is a real trip!

Just to throw more onto that pile, I have worked nights for about the last 20 years (anywhere from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. to my more recent schedule of 12:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.). A few weeks ago my schedule changed to 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Two hours earlier -- no big deal, right? I'm very happy about the change, but I didn't think this transition would be so difficult for me. I'm still adjusting. Trying to get to bed earlier, eat at different times, and figuring out how to do life maintenance tasks (shopping, exercise, laundry, etc.) both before AND after work, rather than doing everything in the morning.

Am I a crazy person to have taken on the Whole30 at this point? I don't think so. But today my mind is messing with me. I thrive on structure and this program is providing it. By the way, the daily emails and the content provided is STELLAR. I'm very impressed.

I'll get through this. I'm tough. I did, however, call in sick to work today. My head feels like it's going to explode and my body hurts all over. I've been starving the last two days, and today I'm not hungry at all. I tossed and turned all night, but I did get sleep. I need a nap and I've only been up for about 1.5 hours.

As far as food, I've been just quickly throwing things together based on foods I decided to eat the first few days. I've been having protein (chicken, beef, eggs), fats (coconut and olive oils, avocado, olives, pastured butter), lots of veggies, and nutrient dense carbs at each meal. I ate a few strawberries with dinner each of the last two nights. I'm satisfied by the meals and the last two days was happy to feel real hunger by the next meal.

I actually don't have It Starts With Food, and didn't realize I should have read it prior to doing this. I have another Paleo book I got last fall and I have Well Fed. I hope I'm not missing anything important by not having read ISWF. I'll probably order it, but I really needed to start on the road to more health NOW. So I did.

Today I intend to look at recipes and go shopping to get enough food to get me through to Saturday. Saturday I have another NAET treatment. During the 25 hours after the treatment, I have to avoid the item I was treated for, so food options are very limited. This weekend shouldn't be too tough. The Whole30 compliant foods I'm allowed this weekend are raw and cooked vegetables, raw tomato, eggs, oils, clarified butter, salt.

Anyway, long post, I know. I didn't think I was going to keep a log in the forums, but this morning I realized I may need this. If you stopped by to read, thanks for hanging in for all of that! :wub:

Thank you! I'm so grateful for the support. I'm actually going to make a grocery list and go out and grab that stuff, then try to nap around 2. I got the Daily email that said 2 is the best time to nap! :D

Day 3 – Didn't sleep much last night. Starting having sharp pains in my breasts 2 days ago. Could be pre-menstrual. Haven't had these pains in a long time. Headache is bad today. Can't tell if it's seasonal allergies, detox from this, or the NAET treatments. Whole body is aching. Not hungry. Going to have some tea and force some food down. Called in sick to work. All these new pains in addition to my neck being out, the crazy pains I've been having in my leg for a week, and my general exhaustion with my shift change, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

B – roasted chicken, broccoli, onions, olives, coconut oil, hot sauce, salt and spices. (headache better after eating and moving around a bit, but got overzealous with the number of errands I could run and now seems like full-blown migraine – vision blurry, etc.)

L – Not hungry again, but need to eat before I take a much later nap than planned. Having hard-boiled egg, two slices prosciutto (man, is that expensive, got this because I couldn't find sugar-free bacon), pearl tomatoes, avocado, a few olives, asparagus.

Napped for about 30 minutes after lunch and headache was a bit better when I woke up.

D – Ate pretty late because of feeling sick and moving slow. Salmon cakes, roasted asparagus with lemon zest and olives. Made golden beets but wasn't hungry after eating the above, so refrigerated for tomorrow.

One of the most difficult things for me is to focus on eating. Meaning not be on the computer or reading or something. I know this is very important and I've done it every meal so far on the Whole30. I need to clean all those projects and paperwork off my dining table instead of eating on the sofa!

Day 4 – Got to bed late last night and had trouble falling asleep. Woke up today and headache was better, although still having lots of body pains. Got up extra early because adjusting to new private pilates schedule. Realizing now I should have a portable breakfast for this day because I may not have time to eat before going to work. I'll get something in. I only have an hour to drive home from pilates (which is about a 25 minute drive, depending on LA traffic), run up 3 flights of stairs, shower, dress and get all food ready for work.

PWO – 1 hard-boiled egg with sea salt and pepper.

B PWO – 1 hard boiled egg with sea salt and pepper. About 2 Tbsp. almond butter. 2 carrots and ½ large zucchini – raw.

L – Salmon cake; mixed green salad with olives, scallions, roasted golden beets; roasted asparagus with lemon and olives.

D – Chorizo meatballs, mashed cauliflower with a bit of carrot added, fried plantains.

For about 2 hours today I had a crazy sore throat and post nasal drip. Throughout the day various glands in my neck were swollen and sore. Headache persists.

The pleasure of eating the dinner I made was so intense, it was crazy. That food tasted so good, it made me wonder why I got off track with this type of eating. Delicious!

Ok. So I learned last week that I can only manage so much. I can manage eating this way, but I couldn't keep up on the daily log. And that's fine. I had a particularly challenging weekend with my NAET treatment. For the first time since I started the treatments I auto-passed one of them. What did that mean for me? That we were going to treat for something completely the opposite, and that the foods I had planned to eat were not going to work for me in this situation. My choices were very limited anyway, then add Whole30 compliance and all I could really have was meat, poultry, and starches. I got through my 25-hour clearing period on prosciutto-wrapped spicy chicken thighs and roasted sweet potatoes.

I'm feeling much better and was a little tempted to step on the scale, but didn't. Here's to the start of another week!

Okay, so I suck at the log, but I'm doing the Whole30. Today was day 15 and I'm still eating clean. I can tell my systemic inflammation has lessened by quite a bit and I do actually feel like my fat pants are looser.

Why is it I (and many other people I know) always lose weight first where we need to lose it least? Is there some science behind that? I tend to believe it usually redistributes properly, but it always seems like my arms and legs get skinny first, my belly last. Anyway, I'm pleased with the progress. A little worried about the last week because I have a Memorial Day vacation, will then finish Whole 30 mid-week, then off to New York.

Every day I look forward to the email. Seriously, I love this program.

Hanging in there. A bit short on interesting food today (and some other days). Amazingly I can just throw a bunch of stuff together and it's not so bad. Need to make it interesting this weekend though. Day 18 or something like that.

Day 19 and I'm jonesing to step on the scale. Instead I'm going to try on jeans. They are always the best indicator of if I'm down to where I'd like to be. Closer to the finish line. I can do this.

Forgot to mention -- 2 days ago I was doing the hundreds (pilates warm-up/ab exercise). I recognized "my" legs! It's been a long time. The shape is coming back as I shed the water/fat that has been obscuring them. Such a great boost to my will to continue!

This cold stinks. I can't taste my food! Saw my acupuncturist yesterday and when I told her I was eating totally Paleo, she said how great that was and "it's such a good plan." :)

Archived