losing weight?

I know the purpose of Whole9 is to achieve healthiness, but I really want to lose weight! Everyone says to follow the template and exercise to lose weight. I basically just need to lose about 5 pounds or so, i just want to get rid of fat on the upper back of my legs, a little on my arms, and I would like my stomach to be more defined. I work out 5 days a week with weights, but I'm not seeing those changes and I'm on day 23.

• Moderators

I'm in the same boat, pretty much, and have just surrendered to the notion that I probably need more than 30 days to get the results I want.

Lowered expectations are a good thing.

I'm in the same boat, pretty much, and have just surrendered to the notion that I probably need more than 30 days to get the results I want.

Lowered expectations are a good thing.

Yes. In my mind the W30 is about shifting your relationship to food as well as healing your gut and hormones, so that you can get an accurate sense of when you are satisfied. Weight loss may or may not be a side effect. Then, post w30, you are in a better place to tweak foods and amounts for weight loss.

Do I examine my belly multiple times a day to see where things stand? Yes! Guilty. But I try to keep loftier goals in mind as well. ;) it sounds like your goals (5lbs, better muscle definition) can definitely be achieved. Change up your exercise? The body is an efficient machine. If you're doing the same workout you won't see the best results.

Do you implement HIIT training 1-2 times a week? Whenever I get stuck at a plateau, changing up the workouts usually helps. If I'm doing two long cardio days and one HIIT day a week and I start to feel stuck, I'll switch it up to one long cardio day and two HIIT days. Or I'll go from a balance-focused weight training routine to a interval weight training routine and vise versa. You have to keep your body guessing :]

You might not actually need to lose those 5 pounds. You might want to lose them, but your body might be perfectly happy where it is.

But, on a more positive note, I had absolutely no weight loss at all at day 15 or 16 and then dropped nine pounds in the last two weeks. See where you are at the end of the 30 days and then decide where to go from there.

Exactly what Annabel said, you might not need to lose 5 pounds. Thanks to the media and the celebrity fixated society we live in, many of us have unrealistic expectations of what a healthy weight actually is.

I obviously can't comment on your weight and whether you *need* to lose any or not but if we nourish our bodies as best we can, and I firmly believe W30 is best for that, then our bodies will do the best they can. However, that's not always what we see in our minds eye. Remember women naturally carry a bit of fat and are more rounded than catwalk models would have you believe. Celebrate what you have and let your body get on with it's job of being as healthy as it can be.

I do understand that we have a warped view of beauty based on society, but I think that it would be fine to lose the chub around my stomach. It's always been there and SO hard to get rid of. I was hoping this 30 days would help with that. I have lost some of the bloat, but I'm on day 26 and it's really not that much better. I have been eating a lot of fat. I know I know that fat doesn't make you fat, but does eating too much make you fat? I also have been avoiding nuts and not eating very much fruit (1- 1/2 servings a day).

If you eat "too much" of anything it will eventually make you store more fat. But the idea is to be eating sufficient fat so you can fix your hormones and your body can start sending you correct signals when you are full, and then you don't eat more than you need to eat.

I think the section in ISWF about why the meal template works explains this well, if you haven't checked it out yet you might want to.

I ate a lot of fat during my w30 and lost weight and, more importantly, inches. Will this continue? I'm not sure. If I were to be stuck at a place where I wanted to get more lean (Id like to be one size smaller because Im vain and I enjoy feeling lean(er) and fit) and my body composition was not longer changing for the better I think I'd pay more close attention to the meal template and load up more on veg. (I'm pretty liberal with fat and protein and not so much with veg.)

I've also read that for some people it takes longer than 30 days to see significant body composition changes. (Like into a second W30.)

so, my advice will go against the norm here, but from experience, sometimes exercising LESS and eating a little MORE will help you shed the last few pounds (gasp!). i know, it goes against the grain and our instincts, but i've had success each time i've made myself slow down. i've always lost weight doing HIIT and eating well (and at time restricting calories pre-whole9). but each time i had to or chose to take a week off of exercise and loosen the reigns with food is always when i saw better results. just an idea that maybe you can test-drive and see if it works for you?

Do I examine my belly multiple times a day to see where things stand? Yes! Guilty. But I try to keep loftier goals in mind as well. ;) it sounds like your goals (5lbs, better muscle definition) can definitely be achieved. Change up your exercise? The body is an efficient machine. If you're doing the same workout you won't see the best results.

I'm only on Day 3 today, but as an addicted daily (sometimes frequently each day) weigher, I've been getting paranoid that I'm gaining weight. No real evidence to support that, but its that daily belly analysis that's making me question... And like I said *only* day 3. And it's 5:33am on day 3. I get very hyper-analytic about what I eat, fats, carbs, protein, and how it's affecting my body/weight. It doesn't help either that due to a slightly chaotic home/work schedule, I haven't had time to workout since Monday (I'm one who MAKES time almost every day --- I can legitimately say that I have not HAD time to work out, between work, a 3yo toddler and an 8 week old newborn who I'm breastfeeding, another time-suck in itself). So that in itself makes my scale addiction a little worse. I'm trying to tell myself to have faith in the system. I'm finding myself very tempted to weigh myself as a means to confirm that I'm either taking in too much fat, not enough fat, or just the right amount of fat. Know what I mean?

Bethany- i feel your pain!

In the past my obsession with the scale, and the number was not healthy ... ( like you, I was weighing myself multiple times per day... Sometimes In different locations .because I didn't trust the results,

( digital scales were especially untrustworthy), and the number would determine my intake and my sense of worth.

It was crazy, stressful and demoralizing!

Stepping on the scale blinds you to unexpected changes ( ie I normally lose weight from the face down..Cheekbones...smaller bra... ribs get closer to the skin...waist whittles and then....nothing seems to happen lower... but for whatever reason the majority of my weight loss ( fat loss?) during my whole 30 was in my lower tummy, the backs of my thighs,saddlebags, and my a$$.. I'm also sure I would've been oblivious to my eyes being brighter, and the dark circles needing less coverage in the morning, if I was focused on my old ways of measuring success. (Because I would've been too busy doing math,and deciding how I could tweak the program to get better, faster results.) but I decided to trust the program and acknowledge that Dallas and Melissa are experts... And I'm just a fool that has hang ups and misinformation about food, and my body. So ...give yourself a break and skip the weigh in!

Also ... I read this somewhere online...therefore IT must be true,right? When you are attempting to become fat adapted, intense exercise can slow down the process. And who in their right mind would want to do THAT?

The ability to burn fat? Yes please!

Finally, I hope you find peace in the knowledge that If you are following the meal template, and you are not starving, in a stupor from being too full, or snacking all day long ...you are eating "right"....

THINKING Less IS more ... Fat IS bad... is WRONG!

I didn't do much working out (a home DVD I did 2-4 x a week, often partially, maybe 2 yoga classes, maybe a pilates class, maybe 20 mins of walking a day.

And I also lost weight around my thighs.

I understand your worries but the more you worry the more you are working against yourself. Cortisol says, "hold onto that fat!"

The more fat you eat, the more full you will feel and the less likely you are to snack between meals. Don't be afraid of fat, or calories. I ate the upper levels of fat and protein and still lost inches and pounds.

Not to mention the freedom from daily weigh-ins, the daily weight double and triple check, the weighing of food, the calculating of recipes, the worrying about how to calculate the ideal number of calories or points or grams.

At first it is scary. But then it is wonderful. Trust the process.

Omg. Just read you have an EIGHT WEEK OLD newborn?!?

Be gentle with yourself. And come on! Nursing a newborn is not a time suck. I BFd my kids and didn't ever love nursing--except isolated moments--but at eight weeks? That is still honeymoon period mama! Enjoy the teeny bean phase. Number 2 grows up really fast. You will make time to work out.

Read this and stop stressing about working out: http://pbexplorer.wo...-of-young-kids/

Your body just made a baby. Patience. Self-care. Self-love. Do it.

Along those lines, I highly recommend these pieces on why the number on the scale is a terrible way to judge your progress:

http://everydaypaleo...-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo...addicts-part-2/

This here is GOLD if you can get your head around it. If not, you'll likely be on to the next "quick-fix" diet to lose a few lbs, gain it back. Rinse. Repeat.

Your body can do whatever it wants with the new good nutrition you're putting into it. Repair damage. Boost immunity. Build muscle (which *gasp* could cause you to gain "weight"). You don't get to decide.

Take ~5 mins and listen from 2:02 to 7:39. Understanding this is key. "Healthy by choice. Hot by accident." is the mantra.

http://everydaypaleo.com/paleo-lifestyle-and-fitness-podcast-episode-12/

I'm a newbie to Whole30 but certainly not to revamping my diet to try to fix my relationship with food. I went Paleo last year and found I gained weight in the initial phase. I was eating all the proper foods, but just too much of them. Tossing back nuts and nut butters like it was candy. Clearly, I need to work on balance in my life. This time, however, my goal is to kick the sugar habit and not to lose the weight. Still, it is a bit unsettling to know I am probably putting on a few pounds as I work my way through retraining my brain and my habits. Probably much like quitting smoking.

Give it time. Personally, I think it is very difficult to spot-lose like you are requesting. Some just carry extra fat in the arms. Some of us just have thicker thighs. It is part of who we are. And, to the original poster (dw09), I say when I see your picture I see a thin face and a small girl! I am thinking you are asking something of your body that it just doesn't want to do. Plus, losing that last few pounds (especially if you want it in certain areas) is much harder than if you had to lose 20lbs.

Focus on developing a healthy relationship with food. Do less cardio and more strength training. Be mindful of your posture and your limitations while lifting heavy weights and congratulate yourself for being so close to completing the Whole30!

Hi, I'm on Day 75 of a Whole100-ish, and since I extended a 30 to a 60, then to a 100, I know my weights on those milestone days (see my sig). I've been slightly curious over the changes to my body in just the last two weeks, so I snuck a peek -- twice -- but the scale hasn't budged. Having been through the patience-phase of the 30/60 mindset, I'm not in the least bit concerned, even though I overall want to lose about 40 more pounds overall.

What I am seeing on Day 75 is far more leaner areas of my body. i didn't do Before pics, but my work uniform (coveralls/jumpsuit) is consistently fitting differently each week -- baggy in the butt and legs, zips easily, and (if you can picture this) the white pocket linings at my hips keep getting less noticeable, if that makes any sense. I noticed the other day that my upper arms are less large, and even the underarm flab looks different (I'm 50, so it's gonna be there, lol). The skin fold definitions at my waist when sitting are changing. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing more definitions to my lower thighs too.

All this to say, the scale is nothing. Oh, it's important for long-term goals, but knowing that I'm NOT exercising much the last three weeks due to circumstances, but that I AM eating compliant for another 25 days, these changes are not due to anything in my life other than what goes into my stomach. Whole30 HAS changed my relationship with food, and my body's relationship with food, and it's reorganizing my physical self as it sees fit.

Eventually I'll be doing things to facilitate the weight loss a bit, but for now -- I eat compliantly. Period. My body does the rest, on its own schedule.

I don't even own a scale, it's not that I care about the number, the 5 lbs was just to say that I wish to lose some fat around my stomach. I sure wish I could figure it out! My whole30 is done and I want to keep eating right to see if it will eventually go away. I do vary my workouts and I lift weights. I also wish I could pinpoint what is causing bloat. I know nuts does but it seems like there's something else too.

Archived