Depression?

Hi,

I'm new here but have been paleo for a while.

Here is my question. I started a whole30 on April 14th...did pretty well. I ran a marathon this past Sunday and went completely off the rails after. Like eating the rest of the day all bad stuff. I sort of got back on track Monday but still wasn't 100% compliant until today, Wednesday.

I felt great on the whole 30 after the first few days...have felt awesome eating paleo the last few months.

Now, the QUESTION. I have been experiencing sudden depression yesterday and today...worse than I've had in a long time. Could this be due to the horrible change in diet I made the last few days? I hope so but any reassurances that I will feel back to normal with starting my whole30 over would be helpful.

Thank you.

Erin

short answer: yes. Long answer: yes but there could also be other mitigating factors. Sometimes the end of something you've worked so hard for, i.e. the marathon & training, can bring about a case of the blues. Hormonal ups and downs of course could also be contributing. Fatigue is definitely a factor for me. I suspect right now might be a pretty emotionally charged time to be a runner as well. Regardless, getting back on track nutritionally is bound to help. I know 100% that poor food choices contribute to depression and anxiety for me and that eating a W30 diet as closely as possible helps combat it. Hormones are powerful things and when we eat hormone disrupting foods we suffer. Eating healthy, whole foods and skipping the gut irritating, hormone disrupting, psychologically addictive food/food like substances is equally powerful in combating depression.

congratulations on completing your marathon, that is an incredible achievement and one you should celebrate and be proud of....now get back on track so you can get back to feeling great!

Whole 30 definitely helped alleviate my depression, and when I have gone off the program, I have experienced many unpleasant side effects: bloating, fatigue and yes, depression. Depending on the severity of the "bender" determines how long the blues last. At Christmas time it lasted about 3-4 days.

Nearly two weeks ago, I went off the rails for a few days: Pizza, chocolate, ice cream, and some bread. Hardly the worst binge I have experienced (I'm a stress eater with a history of binging) but it took a few days to get back on track. And yes, I feel like crap - fatigue, bloating, pain, depression and anxiety. I've been good for the last couple of days and I'm finally starting to feel better, but I'm wondering how long it will take to undo the damage I've done. The good news is I will feel better with clean eating and I know you will too.

Congratulations on your marathon. Don't beat yourself up about the other stuff. We are all a work in progress. :-)

I quit sugar and grains for over six weeks. Easter weekend, right before my W30, I ate cheese and crackers, beer, pizza, garlic knots (never eat those!), and chocolate and candy.

I got really depressed. The night of the cheese and crackers and pizza I even had suicidal thoughts. (Just fleeting--nothing life-threatening.)

There is definitely a gut-brain connection. Depression can definitely be linked with sugar and gluten. Paleo Mom had a great piece on gut-brain--though I can't seem to find it. And there is loads of interesting info here : http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2012/07/eat-fat-be-happy.html?m=1

Archived