Adagio's Whole30 Dance

Adagio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry you are ill. In this case black tea helps me very well.

Thanks! I drink black chai tea often, and the herbs and spices seem to settle my stomach. I checked out your blog and although I cannot read Czech, your photos look delicious!

Whole30 July 14

B/L Frittata with sweet potato and ground pork. Banana

Snack: Store-bought Kombucha - cranberry, no sugar added.

D: Thai sausages, small amount of diced sweet potato, romaine lettuce. Handful of cherries.

Thoughts:

I've been under the weather with a nasty stomach bug. I loaded up on peppermint/ginger/fennel capsules and extra probiotics yesterday and this morning.

By late morning, I was hungry! I took a chance and made some brunch and I managed to keep it down. I normally don't eat bananas very much due to their high carbs, and I don't drink Kombucha often because it is expensive. But having that intestinal bug or whatever it is has been defining my food choices. At dinnertime, I threw caution to the wind and decided to cook the spicy sausages that had been planned. They didn't seem to bother my stomach, so I went ahead and ate some cherries for dessert. Perhaps whatever this thing is, it's finally on it's way out!

Hoping to feel 100% tomorrow!

Whole30 July 15 - All food Whole30 compliant, organic, local, pastured, and/or grassfed, unless otherwise indicated.

B/L Hash with sweet potatoes and ground pork, cooked in a little ghee, topped with 2 fried eggs. 1/2 banana. Coffee.

Snack: A serving of cherries. A tablespoon of almond butter.

D: Baked Chicken breast topped with a Whole30 compliant sauce, not sure which one yet, maybe just ghee and lemon. Salad with romaine lettuce and tomatoes, no dressing. I may eat another serving of fruit before the day is over.

Thoughts:

I am still having intestinal distress and my body is fluctuating between feeling nauseous and feeling hungry. Still taking the peppermint/ginger/fennel caps and probiotics. I haven't been eating many veggies, and last night was the first time I was able to keep down fruit other than bananas. I'm really hoping that this thing goes away by tomorrow so I can return to really enjoying my food. My digestive enzymes are being delivered tomorrow, so I hope that helps as well.

Have a great day, everyone!

Whole 30 July 16

B: scrambled eggs with ground pork. Coffee

L: eggplant dipped in egg and baked, then topped with ground cashews. A few cherries

D: Planning on chili (ground beef, spices, canned tomatoes) broccolini with ghee, side salad. Probably will finish off the cherries

Thoughts: I am still having diarrhea but otherwise feeling better. I started back on digestive enzymes, hoping they will help. The eggplant lunch was totally spontaneous, but the combination worked quite well. I had to stop myself from eating the whole thing because I wanted to save some for breakfast. I think it would be great accompanied by sliced tomatoes. I used Penzey's Tsardust Memories spice blend on the eggplant, which is: salt, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and marjoram. Sounds like a strange combination, but it's incredible!

I'm not having any cravings. I'm pretty content with my food these days and not even missing my chocolate! I'm just hoping my digestive system finally calms down. I think I may have eaten too many plums last week. A couple of years ago, I had the same reaction to plums, but wrote it off as possibly catching some bacteria on the fruit. I don't really know if it was the plums, but for now, I'm sticking to eating berries and cherries.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Whole30 July 17

(All food Whole30 compliant, organic, local, pastured, and/or grassfed, prepared with either coconut oil or ghee, unless otherwise indicated.)

B: Leftover eggplant slices (dipped in egg and baked, topped with cashew butter.) Sliced tomatoes. Coffee

L: Roast beef, mustard and lettuce on a Pure Wrap. Kale chips. Banana

D: Leftover chili from last night, the toasted cocoa cauliflower recipe from Well-Fed. (A big hit.)

Thoughts:

It appears that the digestion issue is on its way out, hooray! I started back on my digestive enzymes today, so perhaps that did the trick. I thought about having some blueberries tonight for a snack, but I'm so full from dinner that I don't think I will bother. Hubby is eating dark chocolate right now, and although I'd like a piece, I'm not having a huge craving.

I was thinking about after July Whole30. Perhaps on day 31, I may indulge in some really good (white potato) fries, but I will go right back on Whole30 and will most likely stay there indefinitely .

Do you think that having 1 day off after 30 days each time will derail me? I have to think on that some more. I am definitely not going back to dairy (except for heavy cream in coffee) or sugar, grains, legumes. But I do enjoy a serving of good-quality fries every so often. I don't deep fry in my tiny kitchen, so it's a big indulgence for me. Opinions/thoughts are appreciated!

I think that this post-Whole30 indulgence is totally OK. Potatoes are not bad, they just aren't as nutritious as sweet potatoes or other starchy veggies. So, only bad thing is oil (most places use sunflower or other vegetable oil). But once a 30 days sounds OK for me. Do you remember Whole9 Healthy/f*off scale?

Whole30 July 18

B: Roast beef, mustard, lettuce, in a pure wrap. Coffee

L: "Tacos:" leftover chili, guacamole in lettuce leaves. I ate the entire avocado, oops. 1 serving of cherries.

D: chicken breast with pesto sauce, zucchini "noodles," and grape tomatoes. 1 serving of blueberries.

Thoughts:

I was not hungry at all, but I forced myself to eat breakfast around 7. I had a pretty big lunch, and a lighter dinner. Still not feeling 100% in the digestion area, but I think it's improving.

Do you think that having 1 day off after 30 days each time will derail me? I have to think on that some more. I am definitely not going back to dairy (except for heavy cream in coffee) or sugar, grains, legumes. But I do enjoy a serving of good-quality fries every so often. I don't deep fry in my tiny kitchen, so it's a big indulgence for me. Opinions/thoughts are appreciated!

My impression of the Paleo way of eating at its core is that much is based on how you react to foods. A scientific approach might be to change only one factor of your diet at a time...in other words adding only one indulgence to your diet. Perhaps you could enjoy your french fries one day, then wait a few days before adding heavy cream to your coffee? I hate to sound clinical, but If you change more than one factor at a time, it will be more difficult to isolate which item has what influence.

I hope you feel better soon! Go away, nasty bug!

My impression of the Paleo way of eating at its core is that much is based on how you react to foods. A scientific approach might be to change only one factor of your diet at a time...in other words adding only one indulgence to your diet. Perhaps you could enjoy your french fries one day, then wait a few days before adding heavy cream to your coffee? I hate to sound clinical, but If you change more than one factor at a time, it will be more difficult to isolate which item has what influence.

I hope you feel better soon! Go away, nasty bug!

Oh, I agree!

Whole30 July 19

B: omelet with prosciutto. Black coffee

L: Leftover chili again, guacamole, lettuce. Serving of cherries

D: Small green salad. A tablespoon of tuna salad. Banana. A tablespoon of almond butter.

Thoughts:

Today was a weird eating day. I started it off by making an omelet, which would have been okay if I didn't over salt it. I was half asleep, and forgot how salty prosciutto is....oops.

Lunch was a big meal, so I had no appetite for dinner. I should have skipped the banana/almond butter after I ate the tuna, as it really filled me up a little too much.

I'm pretty much out of fresh produce, so I have to hit the store tomorrow and farmer's market on Saturday. I'm really craving soup for some reason, even thought it's very hot outside. I think I'm going to make some chicken broth in the crockpot this weekend and make my Asian chicken soup.

I haven't had any dark chocolate since I started Whole30. The other day I gave my chocolate stash to my hubby and told him I didn't want to see it around even after I'm done with Whole30.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Whole 30 July 20

B: Eggs, asparagus, mushrooms cooked in ghee and made into a breakfast casserole. Black Coffee.

L: Roast beef, mac nut mayo, lettuce, in a Pure Wrap. Banana. Coconut milk Chai.

D: I will have a burger, mac nut oil roasted carrots, and creamed spinach (made with coconut milk.) A serving of fruit after dinner.

Thoughts:

I'm posting this early, as today is a very busy day. I had a late start and didn't eat breakfast within one hour of waking. I felt dead on my feet until I ate, which ended up being around 11am. I know now that I cannot go back to that habit of not eating until late morning. Yuk!

I am beginning to think that almond butter does not agree with me. I don't eat nuts very often, because I tend to overeat them. I use a tablespoon of almond butter as a "go to" protein/fat when I am hungry and it is not mealtime. But the last few times I did that, it made me nauseous. I like to have a nut butter around as a fallback protein/fat, so I think I am going to try cashew butter, since I've used it a few times as a topping and in pesto, and it doesn't seem to have a negative effect. Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good, and I'm not having any other food issues or cravings. Tomorrow I'll shop the Farmer's Market.

Whole30 July 21

B: Egg casserole w/ asparagus/mushrooms. Coffee

L: roast beef/lettuce/mayo on a Pure Wrap. Banana.

D: Whole Foods Naked Rotisserie chicken with homemade sunshine sauce. Beets with ginger and kale salad from Whole Foods. Blueberries.

Thoughts:

Today held some unexpected surprises and stresses. Because of that, I struggled to stay on track with meals.

Bananas are not my favorite fruit due to the carb content. They are in the house when hubby is home because he likes them, so sometimes I 'll grab one to have with my meals, but I have to get out of that habit.

I forgot to defrost something for dinner today, so I ran over to Harry's Market (Owned by Whole Foods.) I quickly read the ingredients on the ginger beets and kale salad sides, but I believe they are compliant.

Tomorrow will be a better eating day! :)

Whole30 July 22

B: Egg/Asparagus/Mushroom breakfast casserole. Black coffee.

L: Shredded chicken, guacamole, romaine, on a Pure Wrap. Small Banana

D: Burger, Garnet Yam with coconut oil, Romaine salad. Blueberries

Thoughts:

Getting into a bit of a rut with cooking/meal planning. I have to take some time to review my cookbooks to come up with some new recipes. Feeling okay about the food, but still uncertain about eating bananas. I'm not sure they are all that bad, but I am so conditioned to avoid them that every time I have one, I feel guilty. We're on a strict budget right now, and organic fruit is expensive. Maybe I'd be better off doing without, but having fruit after meals is really helping me avoid the sugar demon. When I first went Primal, I avoided fruit entirely to keep my carbs low. I think that derailed me. I was brought up in a home where we ate a lot of fruit instead of sugary desserts.

Whole30 July 23

B: The last of the egg/asparagus/mushroom breakfast casserole. 1/2 banana. Black coffee

L: Prosciutto and mayo on a pure wrap. Applesauce.

D: Roast chicken with ghee, mushrooms with ghee. A few cherries.

Thoughts

Today I had more tummy troubles so I dug out the applesauce at lunchtime which was a mistake because I ate more than I should have eaten. Tummy felt better, though. I added a few cherries in this evening, because I want to see if stone fruits are the culprit. If so, I will sadly have to put them aside. Raspberries and blueberries seem to be fine, but I may be having an issue with stone fruit, darn.

I still want to add some more greens to my meals, but I am avoiding them due to this on-and-off tummy thing. I know I'm not eating enough food right now. Hopefully, whatever has been bothering my digestive system for the last two weeks will disappear soon, because I really do not have a huge appetite.

Whole30 July 24

B: Hard-boiled eggs and bacon

L: BLTA salad: Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Avocado on greens. Applesauce (Not homemade, but no sugar.)

D: Czech meatballs recipe from Well-Fed. Cabbage "noodles" sauteed in ghee.

Thoughts:

My little experiment with stone fruit confirmed my suspicions. I am definitely sensitive to stone fruits. I'm bummed, because I love plums and cherries, but I don't like feeling sick, so I'm eliminating them from my diet. Berries, apples, and bananas don't seem to bother me at all. Watermelon bloats me like crazy. I don't think I have FODMAP sensitivity, because some of the other foods on that list don't bother me one bit.

Anyway, I can tell I've lost weight by my clothes. :) 6 more days, then I can check for sure!

After Whole30: I'm staying Paleo for good. Since giving up cheese, I don't have heart palpitations anymore, hooray. (A weird but common symptom of casein intolerance.)

I may indulge in white potatoes maybe once a month when hubby and I go out for our burger/fries dinner, and I may have a glass of red wine once in a while, but other than that, I'm sticking as close to Whole30 as possible. Why not?

Whole30 July 25

B: hardboiled eggs and bacon

L: Dinner leftovers. (Czech meatballs and cabbage.) Chai with coconut milk.

D: I'm cooking my own recipe chicken soup at the moment. Ingredients: Bone broth, chicken, carrots, bok choy, coconut milk, aminos, ginger, lime, and garlic. We're also having mixed greens and Canteloupe.

Thoughts:

Why have I been craving soup when it's 95 degrees out? LOL.

Since I gave up gluten 3 years ago, I've noticed that I have trouble with bacon. Internet urban legend says that bacon is packaged with a bit a flour to keep it from sticking to the package. Not sure I buy it. At any rate, if I eat more than 2 slices, I have indigestion. Weird. I've tried many brands and the same thing happens to me, even when I buy it by the pound at Whole Foods.

I find that it is so much easier while doing Whole30 to discover which foods I can or cannot tolerate. That's a good thing, although I'm still bummed about the stone fruit. :)

Other than that, all is going well. Planning on trying a new Well-Fed recipe tomorrow night, either the Rogan Josh or the Cinnamon beef stew.

Whole30 July 26

B: scrambled eggs and tomatoes. Black coffee.

L: chicken salad, lettuce, handful of macadamias

D: Leftover chicken soup, mixed greens, apple.

Thoughts:

Today was a crazy day. I didn't plan to have chicken twice in one day, but I got really tired late in the afternoon so I opted for leftovers.

Hi Adagio,

I feel the same way about my coffee. I do not like the coconut milk and I really doubt I would like ghee in my coffee. I have just been drinking it black but not really enjoying it. I am on day 6 and cream in my coffee is really the only thing I miss. I have given up so many things over the last year but that is one thing that I may have to keep. However, I will go the full 30 days without it and then see what happens when I incorporate it back in. Other than that I am enjoying everything else. I have not really felt hungry. The first few days I had some cravings but now I am feeling pretty good. I am having a blast cooking new things. I love www.thefoodee.com - great recipes.

Faith

I feel the same way about my coffee. I do not like the coconut milk and I really doubt I would like ghee in my coffee. I have just been drinking it black but not really enjoying it. I am on day 6 and cream in my coffee is really the only thing I miss. I have given up so many things over the last year but that is one thing that I may have to keep.

THIS IS ME!! The only only only thing I am really missing in this whole adventure is a dash of full fat cream in my coffee. Aaaaaahhhhh.

Whole30 July 27

Decided to post my food log early today as I am unlikely to change anything.

B: hardboiled eggs and black coffee.

L: chicken with lettuce, mayo, a few green grapes, on a Pure Wrap. A few macadamia nuts

D: beef burger, baked garnet yam, and broccolini, all cooked with ghee. Raspberries.

Thoughts:

Looking forward to completing my first Whole30 in a couple of days! Now that it's down to the wire, I can honestly say that the only thing I really missed was the heavy cream in coffee. I'm sticking 99% with Whole30 after the 30 days is over. I won't post my food log since I won't be doing a 100% compliant Whole30, but I'll be reading and posting on this forum.

Tomorrow we are having a young guest, so I bought some gluten-free hot dog buns, corn on the cob, and gluten-free cookies. The entire time in the grocery store I didn't even think about eating those things myself. Instead, I bought some compliant Applegate hot dogs and plan to have them with raw saurkraut and roasted carrots. :)

Archived