Compliant energy bars

little_muffin

Hattie is doing well and although she has finished her w30 and we are still awaiting an appointent with the dietician, we are in no hurry to reintroduce any grain, dairy or sugar as she is so much happier and I have my wonderful little girl back.

Nursery have asked if there is an energy bar or something (pre-packed) that I can give to them so that if the other children are having something off plan, i.e. a cookie (!!!) Hattie can have the energy bar and won't feel left out. Also she has been complaining to both me and the nursery staff that she is hungry.

Does anyone have any ideas? It must be nut free due to allergy restrictions at nursery and available to the UK.

The only thing I can think of off hand is Mini Raw Chocolate Biscuits. The ingredients are dates, seseme seeds, cacao and coconut. they're available here http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=433 All the cereal free bars I know contain nuts. I'll have a scout round and see if I can come up with anything else.

OK found this http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/2302/frutina-fruit-snack-15g Fruitina fruit snack bar ingredients: Apples(95%), strawberry puree (4%), concentrated apple juice, natural flavouring.

Or these http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/17587/bear-strawberry-yo-yos-fruit-rolls-5x20g Yo Yos fruit rolls Strawberry Yo Yos Fruit Rolls ingredients: Fruit Puree (apple, Pear) fruit juice, natural strawberry colour and flavour. They also come in other flavours

The ingredients on the Larabar Banana Bread says: almonds, dates, unsweetened bananas. The LaraBar Apple Pie says: almonds, unsweetened apples, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon.

Those sound ok to me. I have had them on hand for my kids. I know the point is to not do foods like that, but with 5 kids, I have to make allowances where I need them. I'm wondering about the raisins now in the apple pie one. They could have extra sugar, but the banana one seems to be 100% compliant.

, can I get lara bars i the UK?

Just be careful, from what I've seen, most of the Lara Bars contain nuts. The two mentioned both have almonds. If she could have nuts, Nak'd Bars are easy to find but they all have nuts too.

Thanks Kirsteen. Wecan get nakd bars at our local Tesco but took them ito nursery and was told off because of allergies. They're not even allowed them in the school when she gets there and I'm not allowed to send something home made in for her. Beaurocracy!

• 1 month later...

p. 163 of It Starts with Food specifically calls out Larabars, stating to consciously avoid them because it may prop up sugar cravings. They go on to say if you are legitimately hungry, have a protein and fat instead. 

Hi GFChris. Yep Larabars really should be for emergency use only but the OP was wanting something nut free and prewrapped for a post W30 toddler to be able to take to nursery with her, it's kinda difficult to find.

The problem was, this particular nursery doesn't allow home cooked food, it has to be prewrapped and available in the UK. It was something so the child didn't feel left out when the others were given cookies.

No home cooked food?!?! Yowza, what kind of message is that sending?

How about some Whole30 compliant jerky?

Also, my gym's snack shop sells prepackaged hard boiled eggs (2 in a package), sliced apples, or sliced carrots and celery (the latter two are packaged with dips, which I don't eat). Would those options work?

It's very hard to get compliant jerky here in the UK. We don't have Primal Packs and although they'll post them here, customs won't let them in :(  Reading back the earlier posts I believe it was to be something the nursery could keep on hand to give out if the others were getting cookies as a treat so, ideally, it would have had to be something that kept rather than fresh and nut free because of allergies. That's why we suggested fruit rolls or fruit snack bars as they're just basically fruit and juice.

What about something like this?  I know that Enjoy Life sells a variety of nut/wheat/soy/dairy free products in the states.  I am not sure if this one is nut free, but that's something you could find out, I imagine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enjoy-Life-CKIE-CHOC-CRNCHY/dp/B0053Y1368/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1370351397&sr=8-7&keywords=enjoy+life#productDetails

Hi PamH, I'm afraid in this case it wasn't that prepackaged was easier it was that the nursery because of potential nut allergies etc, wouldn't accept anything that was home made it had to be prepackaged so they could guarantee the ingredients.

That is a really tough one.  MY 21 month old has the Yo-yos as a snack - they are quite good.  Waitrose sells them - not sure about anywhere else.  The other possibility might be some of the Ella or Plum baby food sachets with a fruit/veg mix - it's not really a cookie alternative but he quite enjoys the squeezing into his mouth action! 

I have a son on the Autism spectrum, so I went through the whole gluten/casein/soy free diet when he was a toddler.  Although that is a lot easier than Whole30 compliant foods, I did learn quickly that if we were going to stay GF/CF/SF I was going to have to teach my son that he couldn't always have a copy-cat alternative to what the kids were eating at school

This might sound harsh, but if you are planning on sticking W30 for the time being it might just be best to pack whatever food she can eat and not try to mimic what the others are eating to make her feel 'included' or not different.  Bottom line is, she will be eating very differently from others if she remains so restricted and now is the time to teach that.  I don't know your history so I don't know if Hattie is 2, 3 or even 5 or 6 years old.

BUT, if a good prepackaged alternative comes around by all means grab it!  As far as the hunger at nursery... add more fat at breakfast to tide her over?

This is tough, I know.  I've been there to some degree. Enjoy Life Foods has some options.  Abiding by the no nut rule makes it even harder!  If you are lucky enough to be able to add back gluten free oats, you could have some more options for biscuits and such.  Amazon.com.uk is a good place to look if you can ship to where you live.   Nakd makes some bars but I'm not sure they are nut free.

I feel for you!  It is so hard when we see results from removing common foods and then to struggle figuring out how to feed our kids when they are out of our reach.

Congratulations on having your happy little girl back!

Hi Everyone,

Nursery have generally been accommodating and as there is a child with an horrendous peanut allergy but no other nuts, we have the go ahead for larabars which Hattie loves. So as well as breakfast at home I allow a piece of fruit when she gets in to pre-school then an egg & a piece of fruit at morning snack, her lunch, an egg/larabar & fruit/veg sticks for afternoon snack then her dinner.  She has been hungry when we get home so I have also offered her some dinner with her younger sister which she sometimes has.

Generally she has been a little star but being a pre-schooler, has her moment, though thankfully now, they are just toddler moments and nothing more 'sinister'

Archived