STUFFED before my pre-wo meal!

kristanL

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole30. I work out, hard (45-60 minutes of intense kickboxing) 4-6x's a week, so I definitely need to add in extra meals these days. The classes, however, are mostly at night around 8 sometimes even nine. To add in my pre and post-WO meals later at night, I eat Meal 1 around 9, Meal 2 around 12-1, and Meal 3 around 4-5, so they are spaced 3-4 hours apart, and am trying to eat something small before I workout, but I find that at 6-7 I'm still STUFFED from meals 1-3! Stuffed as in, just the thought of putting anything in my mouth makes me feel like I'm going to explode.

So, should I eat some small protein and fat anyway? Or just skip the pre-WO meal and have some protein and starchy veggies after my workout? Or make other meals smaller? I'm afraid doing this will make me hungry during the day.

If it matters, here is a typical day:

Meal 1: 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, the rest of the plate filled with vegetables (varies from kale, cauliflower, bell pepper, zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, mushrooms...), some sort of fat (usually a scoop or two of nut butter, or guac to top the eggs)

Meals 2/3: 1/4-1/2 lb. of chicken, ground beef, or ground turkey, usually on a plate filled of spring mix with lemon-olive oil dressing, along with more vegetables! (from same assortment as before). I also tend to add guacamole if it goes with whatever herbs or spices I have used for my meat.

Today, I managed to eat some egg whites (ran out of actual eggs :mellow: ) and a scoop of almond butter for my pre-WO meal, but I'm so full I feel sluggish/borderline falling asleep that I'm wondering how I'm going to make it to class, let alone find the energy to go for 60 minutes!

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get!

• Moderators

I frequently skip pre-workout meals because I typically train at noon and am still full from breakfast at 9 AM. If you were training first thing in the morning, I would encourage you to eat at least one boiled egg before, but I would not worry about it given your schedule and routine.

Archived