Bulletproof coffee??

Do you guys use the upgraded coffee or the coffee you've always used? Upgraded is so expensive and since I am the only one that likes coffee..I'm really hesitant about buying it. I drink maybe a cup a day.. if that.. I can go days without drinking coffee, but I like having it around and know I have other options besides sparkling water and reg water.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we get the 'upgraded' coffee over here but I read a few articles about how much pesticide was used on coffee so I always buy organic fair traded, but that's just a personal thing. I tried coffee with coconut milk to up the fat with a meal but gave up, it seemed to make me feel sick and I definitely felt too full to eat so it was messing up my meals. I haen't tried bulletproof but :ph34r: don't fancy it :ph34r: I'm afraid for me, the only way is black. However the one great advantage of taking your coffee black is that, when you're out with friends, even if there's nothing on the menu you want to eat, you can always really enjoy a coffee :)

Do you guys use the upgraded coffee or the coffee you've always used? Upgraded is so expensive and since I am the only one that likes coffee..I'm really hesitant about buying it. I drink maybe a cup a day.. if that.. I can go days without drinking coffee, but I like having it around and know I have other options besides sparkling water and reg water.

Sharon I tried the "upgraded" coffee and hated it. It was very sour. So disappointing. Loved the idea behind it, but it was icky tasting. I forget which awesome member sent it to me after she tried and disliked the taste. I shared it with my trainer and he liked it. :0)

I like higher quality coffee bc I think it lacks the bitterness of what my dh's out of the states coworkers call The F Word type of coffee. They brought me some coffee from costa rica and I became a coffee snob. And totally understand why they called Foldgers the F word. LOL

But I like dunkin donuts or archer farms brands too, so it's not like you have to spend a crazy amount more either.

My morning routine is to put a pot of water on to boil and measure my coffee into the the french press and a slice of Kerry gold (1tbsp) into my bullet mixer container and go get dressed.

Come back and pour hot water into French press to steep the grounds, and pour remaining hot water into my mug so it is hot and go put makeup on.

Come back and pour coffee over butter and pulse until its all one creamy brown color. Just a few seconds. Then dump hot water out of my mug and pour blended coffee into it and go sit and contemplate life and my day.

Ideally, I will also have a couple eggs for breakfast.

It is very filling and I very rarely have more at any point in the day.

I agree the texture with it blended is fabulous. I don't think I could stomach it just being stirred in. I can say the Kerrygold unsalted is light years different than just using whatever stick butter. Bah. Ran out if Kerrygold and did that ONCE. Nasty. Oil slick is right.

I know I should try ghee or even coconut oil and I might this weekend.

But bulletproof coffee got me completely off of milk and sugar and it greatly reduced how much coffee I was drinking and I don't think I'd have made it through my W30 without it.

OK, this proves I'll try anything once! Tried it. Meh. Maybe I'm not as "fat-adapted" as y'all. ;-)

@Kirsteen, I *wish* I liked black coffee; it would make life much simpler. But for now, I'm going back to my Trader Joe's light coconut milk in my coffee.

I like higher quality coffee bc I think it lacks the bitterness of what my dh's out of the states coworkers call The F Word type of coffee. They brought me some coffee from costa rica and I became a coffee snob. And totally understand why they called Foldgers the F word. LOL

But I like dunkin donuts or archer farms brands too, so it's not like you have to spend a crazy amount more either.

My morning routine is to put a pot of water on to boil and measure my coffee into the the french press and a slice of Kerry gold (1tbsp) into my bullet mixer container and go get dressed.

Come back and pour hot water into French press to steep the grounds, and pour remaining hot water into my mug so it is hot and go put makeup on.

Come back and pour coffee over butter and pulse until its all one creamy brown color. Just a few seconds. Then dump hot water out of my mug and pour blended coffee into it and go sit and contemplate life and my day.

Ideally, I will also have a couple eggs for breakfast.

It is very filling and I very rarely have more at any point in the day.

I agree the texture with it blended is fabulous. I don't think I could stomach it just being stirred in. I can say the Kerrygold unsalted is light years different than just using whatever stick butter. Bah. Ran out if Kerrygold and did that ONCE. Nasty. Oil slick is right.

I know I should try ghee or even coconut oil and I might this weekend.

But bulletproof coffee got me completely off of milk and sugar and it greatly reduced how much coffee I was drinking and I don't think I'd have made it through my W30 without it.

I love your routine. It is very comforting. So you knew about BP before W30? Wow..I am impressed. You know there is no butter while on W30 right?

I love your routine. It is very comforting. So you knew about BP before W30? Wow..I am impressed. You know there is no butter while on W30 right?

Yes, I did know that and my one cup of coffee was my only butter exception that I planned from the start. There's just no way I would have been tolerable to live with without it and I knew it'd be better to know myself and finish the W30 as best I could than fudge it up the whole time until it was useless. However, I did not know I could use coconut oil in place of kerry gold. I'm giving that a try for the first time right now. It's "so-so". I really don't like coconut anything. I can barely tolerate coconut oil to cook with it. So it's not as bad as I thought it would be. No oil slick experience, but not nearly as creamy as kerry gold. If I were desperate, I'd rather have coconut oil blended coffee than no coffee at all. But otherwise, I'm going to give the ghee a try this weekend.

Yes, I did know that and my one cup of coffee was my only butter exception that I planned from the start. There's just no way I would have been tolerable to live with without it and I knew it'd be better to know myself and finish the W30 as best I could than fudge it up the whole time until it was useless. However, I did not know I could use coconut oil in place of kerry gold. I'm giving that a try for the first time right now. It's "so-so". I really don't like coconut anything. I can barely tolerate coconut oil to cook with it. So it's not as bad as I thought it would be. No oil slick experience, but not nearly as creamy as kerry gold. If I were desperate, I'd rather have coconut oil blended coffee than no coffee at all. But otherwise, I'm going to give the ghee a try this weekend.

Oh honey...lets talk about turning that kerrygold into ghee. So easy and perfectly W30 approved. :)

I think it's hard to get the full W30 benefit if you are planning to leave in items that the W30 eliminates.

I never knew I had an issue with dairy till I eliminated it from my diet. I would have never guessed it was the half and half in my coffee that was making me bloated and hang on to inches of belly fat.

I'm sure most ppl have things they can't imagine not eating for 30 days. You know?

I am a staunch and dedicated tea drinker, and don't drink coffee at all (love the smell, hate the taste), but all this talk about BP coffee almost makes me want to try it!

Maybe I should try making butter tea. I don't have access to yak butter (or a yak for that matter) but I'm sure ghee would substitute in ok!

Very green to this so I need to clarify- you mix ghee and coconut oil in with coffee in a blender? I don't have ghee. Will it not work if I use just the coconut oil? TIA!

I use full fat coconut milk instead of the oil most of the time, but sometimes will add a little ghee, too. I bought a small bonjour frother (battery powered; not the rechargable one) and it works great! Only 2T (plus 1t ghee when using it) needed for me to make a wonderful cup of coffee. I never got the point where I could add as much ghee/oil as the true BP coffee recipe talks about...

The key is emulsifying it with the hand held blender.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-430012/bonjour-primo-latte-milk-frother.jsp

I suppose that can be true but it wasn't for me. I had fabulous results from my W30. Enough that I'm working on sticking with w30 as my regular lifestyle diet. :)

I lost 43 pounds between Christmas and Mother's Day.

But I lost 3 inches in just the first 2 weeks of my W30! And I noticed the difference with even small amounts of forbiddens. But my bp coffee doesn't "seem" to be adversely affecting me. Tho I've already said I'm going to hunt down some ghee this weekend. And I tried it with coconut oil. Blah.

Yes. I know. It's probably easy to make. But the one thing I am really freaking sick of doing is standing in my dang kitchen what feels like 24/7. I don't want to make yet another thing. I just want to wake up and have my cup of coffee. Woe to anything or person that delays this. ;p

I always cooked from scratch to begin with, but W30 eliminates almost everything that both stretches a meal or makes it quicker to prepare.

So I'm not making ghee. If for no other reason than I don't want to waste 1/4+ of every stick of butter to only use what's left as ghee. I'd rather just buy something that is ghee and use all of it.

I think it's hard to get the full W30 benefit if you are planning to leave in items that the W30 eliminates.

I never knew I had an issue with dairy till I eliminated it from my diet. I would have never guessed it was the half and half in my coffee that was making me bloated and hang on to inches of belly fat.

I'm sure most ppl have things they can't imagine not eating for 30 days. You know?

I am a staunch and dedicated tea drinker, and don't drink coffee at all (love the smell, hate the taste), but all this talk about BP coffee almost makes me want to try it!

Maybe I should try making butter tea. I don't have access to yak butter (or a yak for that matter) but I'm sure ghee would substitute in ok!

Percy, tell me about this butter tea. Do you blend it like the bp coffee? I have some delicious chocolate tea that I want to try this with.

Ha, you got there before me! I was only thinking about it.

I only have a food processor (and it's quite a big one), no blender or stick blender so it might be a bit of an undertaking for just a cup of tea!

Still want to try though :)

They have little battery operated whirly things that work fairly well. Not as well as a blender, but lots easier to clean. I will give it a go tomorrow with my morning tea and let you know. :0)

Sounds intriguing! :D

I was just looking at recipes for butter tea and at a pinch you can just put the mixture into a container with a good lid and give it a shake. I might do that. Someone else suggested whisking.

They drink this stuff in heaps of countries! Mongolia, Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan. Going to Mongolia is a pipe dream for me. When I try this and hubby thinks I've well and truly lost the plot, I'll tell him I'm in training so as not to appear rude in the face of Mongolian hospitality ...

Sounds intriguing!

I was just looking at recipes for butter tea and at a pinch you can just put the mixture into a container with a good lid and give it a shake. I might do that. Someone else suggested whisking.

They drink this stuff in heaps of countries! Mongolia, Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan. Going to Mongolia is a pipe dream for me. When I try this and hubby thinks I've well and truly lost the plot, I'll tell him I'm in training so as not to appear rude in the face of Mongolian hospitality ...

Lol...it really is so good. I saw the shake it up idea. I could use my flip top mason jar. However, my blender is easy to clean. Not as easy as the whirly stick thing. I could use my immersion blender. I am hoping the small whirly stick works. The tea doesnt get as foamy as bp coffee. I will try ghee and co tomorrow.

Tell you what: I'll try the shake method and report back ... I suspect you'll have better results but at least we'll be covering all possibilities between us

Yes and it's important to iron out the details of such obsessions. :0)

I will be shaking my first one up tomorrow morning (so in about 11 hours). How much ghee did you put in Susan?

And I think we have officially hijacked this coffee thread. Sorry everyone else :wacko:

Archived