How about dates?

paleopaddler

They're not forbidden but they are total sugar bombs. Many people find them a trigger for sugar cravings so most people either avoid or severely limit them on a W30 but technically they're OK

Alone, they are like eating candy to me. I do use them to sweeten things. I can put one or two in my nut milks that I use in coffee, and a date in paleo ketchup is a definite improvement. Other than that, I don't touch them.

Yeah, I was doing really well with not needing to snack until I started nibbling on a few dates here and there. That led to several days of afternoon dried fruit snacking, and afternoon sugar cravings.

Great feedback everyone, thanks! I will make sure I don't use them often.

I usually use them when I'm making home made Lara bars. I use unsweetened coconut/raw cashews/cocunut oil/cocoa powder and a date or two. Even just one for the whole batch makes them sweet enough since I'm not really into sweet stuff.

And I keep them in the freezer and in the diaper bag for emergencies cause I can't be too low blood sugar when chasing this toddler or my patience goes away. Nobody likes a "hangry" momma!

Alone, they are like eating candy to me. I do use them to sweeten things. I can put one or two in my nut milks that I use in coffee, and a date in paleo ketchup is a definite improvement. Other than that, I don't touch them.

I'm so glad I read this. I was wondering how I was going to make my almond milk without vanilla extract and maple syrup or honey and thought I'd just have to pass on it for now. Putting a date or two in is a great idea!

I ate my first date ever yesterday! Definitely not going to bring out the sugar dragon in me (mine is like a mini-me sugar dragon anyway ;) ) but it was a nice sweetness without out being too over-powering. They could take the place of sweets for me anyday! :D

I like dates, but I nibble them over time, because they are sweet. So, I guess it's ok to eat them, if I'm not eating more than 2 or 3 in the course of a day? (And not every day, of course.)

I like dates, but I nibble them over time, because they are sweet. So, I guess it's ok to eat them, if I'm not eating more than 2 or 3 in the course of a day? (And not every day, of course.)

And as part of a meal following the meal template ;)

• 2 months later...

Maurene Boyle thank you, thank you, thank you for your advise! :) I truly wanted to find a way to add a little sweetness to my coconut milk for my tea and coffee. While I'm not into much sweets I do enjoy some in my hot beverages. Thanks again!

I have a related question. I'm on day 17 and doing great. I've been using dates very infrequently as an in-recipe sweetener. Every time I do that, though, I have to put whatever I'm making through the blender. I've been thinking about making a date paste (soak the dates in water and puree them in a batch) to keep in the fridge, so I can avoid the blender step. It would save me some time and some washing of dishes. But there's a part of me that feels like this could be a slippery slope. What do you guys think? Is it compliant, and I just need to keep a firm handle on it (and chuck it if I start to overuse it), or is it a bad idea?

Only you can really answer that but the fact that you think it could be a slipppery slope suggests it might well be ;).  I have used the odd dried apricot or date when i want to make a North African style rice pilaff and I've thrown the odd date into Marinara sauce that's been too acidic but when it comes to date paste, I personally, view it as any other kind of sweetener. When not on a W30, I'd probably prefer it to refined sugar but on a W30 I'd question why I was keeping a sweetener handy, what was I going to sweeten with it, was I going to start sweetening everything in site and was I going to miss out on a whole reset of my taste buds? Of course, I can also envisage the whole 'oh look there's some date paste here, I have to use it up scenario' :)

My answers would lead me to avoid it, your answers might be totally different. Whatever you decide, I would advise caution. good luck.

• 10 months later...

Naomi - I would really encourage you NOT to make a sweet creamer for your coffee and tea. Take this opportunity to change your habits in that area, rather than just replacing your ingredients.

Thank you for that.   I don't have a sugar but a cream dragon.  I was drinking 1 1/2 cups of cream aday for a pot of coffee.  Eliminating that much cream every day has been the best thing about this program for me.   I don't try to make anything to substitute or I'll want that much coffee again.   

Thank you for that.   I don't have a sugar but a cream dragon.  I was drinking 1 1/2 cups of cream aday for a pot of coffee.  Eliminating that much cream every day has been the best thing about this program for me.   I don't try to make anything to substitute or I'll want that much coffee again.   

Okay this creeped me out because you quoted another post and my name is actually Naomi.  Sign?  I think so lol!!!

Archived