"Ketchup"

I have eaten ketchup with eggs all my life. So, when I made my zuke/mushroom/egg omelette this morning, I was wanting some. I took a small fresh tomato and cut it into large chunks, tossed them into my mini food processor, and voila, an amazing tasting "ketchup" for my eggs. I will absolutely do this again. I've had tomato slices with eggs before, but it's not the same. :)

post-22683-0-82506600-1367580877_thumb.j

There are lots of paleo ketchup recipes out there, but most of them miss the mark. I find them more palatable with the addition of a date before blending. Another poster turned me on to straight tomato paste in place of ketchup. Sounds odd, but it's really very good. Processing a fresh tomato sounds like a great idea, too.

I was just thinking about how I am missing my ketchup!! The other day I blended some tomato paste with homemade mayo for a "special sauce" on my burger - it was good but definitely not ketchup. Maybe a dash of some sort of vinegar would help. I like your idea of using the food processor with fresh tomato as well!

I was just thinking about how I am missing my ketchup!! The other day I blended some tomato paste with homemade mayo for a "special sauce" on my burger - it was good but definitely not ketchup. Maybe a dash of some sort of vinegar would help. I like your idea of using the food processor with fresh tomato as well!

I do this almost every day. So far, 6 days :) It's not the same, but I might be liking it enough to continue past W30. It takes me no time to prepare the tomato and as much as I like those little buggers, another chance to have one with a meal makes me happy.

There's a recipe for "BBQ sauce" in ISWF (Appendix pg.278). Being in North Carolina, I can assure you this is not BBQ sauce, but it makes a great stand in for ketchup (kind of a spicy, grown-up version of ketchup) and I really like it.

I made a batch of "Beasty BBQ sauce" from Civilized Caveman Cooking last night and it is delicious. It's for the pulled pork which is currently in the slow cooker but I stole a splodge for my eggs this morning and I really like it. I wouldn't say it tastes like BBQ sauce, more like spicy tomato sauce with pineapple in it for an extra layer of flavour.

Am I allowed to post links to other websites? If so, I'll paste it here for anyone who might be interested.

I made a batch of "Beasty BBQ sauce" from Civilized Caveman Cooking last night and it is delicious. It's for the pulled pork which is currently in the slow cooker but I stole a splodge for my eggs this morning and I really like it. I wouldn't say it tastes like BBQ sauce, more like spicy tomato sauce with pineapple in it for an extra layer of flavour.

Am I allowed to post links to other websites? If so, I'll paste it here for anyone who might be interested.

I love that sauce. I had pulled pork topped with the sauce and avocado on grilled portobella shrooms. So delightful. I think I saw the dish on the W30 FB page. :)

link away as long as the recipe is compliant :)

It calls for Dijon mustard and none of the ones at my supermarket were compliant (all had sugar, preservatives in them). I swapped it for a bit of plain mustard made up with dry mustard powder. Maybe there are complaint Dijons out there but I'm glad I checked ingredients and did the switcheroo!

It calls for Dijon mustard and none of the ones at my supermarket were compliant (all had sugar, preservatives in them). I swapped it for a bit of plain mustard made up with dry mustard powder. Maybe there are complaint Dijons out there but I'm glad I checked ingredients and did the switcheroo!

Most Dijon mustards contain wine as well. I buy a stoneground organic mustard that is compliant and delish!!

It's almost 2 weeks later, and I'm still digging the fresh tomatoes pulverized. I've used tomato sauce, but it's not as good as the tomatoes. I'm okay with no ketchup. Even the organic stuff has some sweetener in it. I'm also learning to like Tabasco's chili starter. It's compliant and it's very, very good.

Archived