Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

I'm moving over to the post log area because I stepped off my bike yesterday. My husband brought some sugar coated nuts home from a meeting. A month ago, just starting my W30, I didn't touch them. This time, I ate a few on purpose and then found myself circling back to the cupboard over and over. That shows me that I'm not in control of my sugar dragon yet! It was pretty easy when I had the Whole30 rules to follow. Now, maybe not so easy.

Reaction to reintro of nuts/sugar: I've tried to avoid nuts by themselves (did eat an entire jar of almond butter in the past 30 days - that's another issue!), but avoided handfuls of nuts as they are a food with no brakes for me. They apparently still are. Especially if they are covered in sugar. The good thing is that they are not something that I will buy/have at home and there was a limited amount. I was very tired all day yesterday, and felt even more tired after the nuts/sugar. I can't blame that on the nuts/sugar. I had a headache after the nuts/sugar. That could be the nuts/sugar or could be from just being tired. My stomach felt not upset but just more active, if that makes sense. It's a feeling that I recognize that feels hungry but isn't but usually makes me want to keep eating. I did not keep eating, but I did feel the rumbliness. I slept ok, but I woke up with my stomach still feeling off. I attribute that to the nuts/sugar. My allergies are very bad today, too. Not sure if there's a connection. Overall, it wasn't awful, but not really how I want to feel.

Reset: I'm going to follow the W30 this weekend - a Whole 3, I guess - and then start reintros on Monday.

Reintro plan/goals: I can't say that my W30 left me feeling amazing. However, I did feel more in control of my food and I'd like to keep working on that aspect of the plan. I want to keep the template - 3 meals each with protein, fat and veggies. I want to avoid snacks and desserts, even with W30 approved foods (that is a work in progress, still). I want to keep getting enough protein and fat. I want to avoid sugar, except when it's truly special. I hope that perhaps some of the magic could still come and that my sugar dragon can be tamed. What I would like to not keep is the heavy reliance on meat. I'm a former almost vegan and it was only because I really don't like meat that much. I still don't, though I did better eating it than I thought I would and enjoyed some things like tuna salad. I hope that I will be able to transition some of my protein to eggs and yogurt and other things on the vegetarion list. I am going to start with yogurt on Monday and see if I can find a place for it in the template. Assuming that goes ok, I will add eggs back next and then figure it out from there.

Today's plan:

M1 - tuna salad, kale salad, sw pot with coconut butter, cm coffee

M2 - squash soup with sausage

M3 - leftover fish (bass), big salad, avocado, sw pot chips, 2 dates

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wah! I'm sick. The tiredness, headache, bad "allergies"? Not a reaction to the sugar/nuts, but a yucky cold. I'm still so tired because I slept awful last night with all the dripping, sniffling, sneezing and scratchy throat. Boo!

On a good note, I did a full wheel in yoga for the first time! My shoulders were always too stiff to consider it, but they feel better. That could perhaps be due to the diet.

Today's plan:

M1 - kale salad, leftover fish, sweet potato with coconut butter, cm coffee

M2 - soup, smoked salmon

M3 - Tom's chicken and brussels recipe

Nice job on full wheel. It's amazing how good it feels, how satisfying, when you finally can so a pose you hadn't been able to do. Feels great!

I think sugar can really immediately have an effect on your immune system. Or, maybe it's just a cold you would've gotten anyway. :)

My son corrected me (LOL) - I did a half wheel. Full wheel is where you grab your ankles and make a circle, right? Half is where you're kind of making a bridge with your hands over your head? Still - couldn't do it until yesterday.

Still feel icky. I hate colds. I made broth from chicken necks and giblets (Nadia and LadyM would be so proud) and just didn't think about it while sipping on it. :P Now I'm sipping on some ginger/lemon/honey "tea". Went to hot yoga again this morning. I certainly couldn't do much breathing through my nose, but I'm hoping I sweated out some of the cold.

The weather isn't helping! At least I'm at home sipping broth and tea. My poor husband and older son are camping with Boy Scouts. I can't imagine much worse than camping in 37 degree rain. My younger son is loving having Mom to himself!

I am sorry you have a cold! I wish I could tell you to go sit out in the sunshine and feel better :(.

I wonder if you were feeling the cold coming down and that is what made you so tired before the nut incident even happened?

The rumbly in your tumbly feeling - I SO recognize the description! I wonder how many of us always thought we were "hungry" and needed a snack when it reality our bodies were rebelling against our food choices!

Feel better and may we have sun this week!

Thanks, KB. I wish I could go sit in the sunshine, too!

My cold is still in full force, but I slept better last night than the night before. I woke up with my tummy not feeling very good. Probably due to the cold and I think my period is starting soon. I sipped some broth and then some tea and then had 1/2 a grapefruit and it slowly felt normal.

Today's food plan:

M1 - 1/2 grapefruit, fish, brussels, cm coffee

M2 - leftover veg soup, clams, sw pot w/ coconut butter

M3 - chicken plantain tostadas with guac, big salad, 2 dates

It's dairy day! I'm going to have yogurt for M1 for the next three days and see how it goes. Based on not feeling "amazing" after cutting everything out, I doubt I'll feel bad adding it back in, but you never know, which is why I'm doing reintros. Maybe not the best idea to add back dairy while I have a cold, but if I wait, it will spoil and it was expensive. I know - bad reason.

It's very hard to avoid the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) now that I'm not on the W30. I've been licking the sunbutter knife after making my son's PBJ for lunch and other stuff like that. I would like to not make that a habit. I have to be purposeful in avoiding it, though. The W30 rules make things easier. There's no need to think about it. I kind of miss that, but I also know it's not something I can do forever.

M1 - yogurt, roast sweet potato, massaged greens salad, kiwi skin (my kids won't eat the skin so I eat theirs LOL), cm coffee

M2 - leftover plantain tostada, chicken, ranchero sauce, guac - can't wait!

M3 - zoodles! with marinara and ground beef, salad, apple, too much sunbutter

I think my cold is worse today than yesterday. I'm ready for it to be done!

The weather is finally nice! I went for a long walk yesterday at lunch and it felt so good!

Reintros are hard! It's hard to know what causes what when there are so many factors. I reintrod dairy yesterday at breakfast. The Greek yogurt was yummy as a dip for roasted sweet potatoes and held me over fine until lunch. Here's the problem: I noticed my hands were a little swollen later in the day - but, it is finally warm here and I went for a long lunchtime walk, so that could be the cause of that. I got into the sunbutter after dinner, several spoonfuls - could that be because I didn't have enough fat for breakfast (yogurt is 2% because that is all I could find, though I did find full fat at a different store later and wil get that next time)? My stomach was bloated last night - dairy or too much sunbutter? I woke up with a coldsore this morning. I haven't had one during the W30 at all. Could that be because of the dairy? Or because of the walk in the sun (sun is a trigger, though I did use my sunblock stick)? Or because I am in my period (usually I get them about a week before my period starts not during, but it still could be hormone related)? Or because I have a cold, which also is a trigger? Sigh. It's impossible to know. Out of curiosity, I looked up coldsores and swelling in my nutritional healing book and not only do they not indicate yogurt as a cause, they actually recommend yogurt for both conditions. I am going to stick with my plan of having yogurt today and tomorrow and watch for the bloating (no sunbutter!) and then not buy any more for a while. I will reintroduce it again in a week or so and see what happens.

My next reintro will be quinoa. My mom is bringing a quinoa salad to Mother's day that I want to try so I'll wait on the rest until after that. Well, I may have a glass of wine. :)

I feel good sticking to the template and hope I can just keep on doing it. I do need to work on the after dinner dates/apples/nutbutters. That is not a good habit. It's better than ice cream or cereal, but one thing I still need to work on .

M1 - yogurt, roast sweet potato, massaged greens salad, cm coffee, coconut butter

M2 - leftover plantain tostada, chicken, ranchero sauce, avocado

M3 - steak, sw pot, salad, olives

snack - apple, coconut butter, chocolate :wub:

Interesting about the hands. I hope for your sake it wasn't the yogurt. I also would like to be able to eat yogurt sometimes. I think maybe though the issue is protein? Yogurt has far less than you got used to on the W30.

Hope your cold improves. Good luck with the quinoa!

I might advice you try dairy again when you are feeling better as one of the things that dairy tends to cause is increased mucous. I can definitely tell the difference between raw and pasteurized dairy for me. Hope you feel better soon!

I might advice you try dairy again when you are feeling better as one of the things that dairy tends to cause is increased mucous. I can definitely tell the difference between raw and pasteurized dairy for me. Hope you feel better soon!

I know you're right! I knew it wasn't a good idea to reintro dairy while I had a cold (mucus!) and my period (bloating). But, I did it anyway. I'm done with the yogurt after today and will wait a bit to try again.

Still stuffed up! Ugh!

I was hungry after my son's soccer game so I had an apple with a bite of coconut butter for some fat. Better, I think, than opening a jar of almond butter. Better to leave that sealed up for now. I also had a small piece of dark chocolate. Super yummy! Probably should have had some leftover steak instead, though. I'm still not very good at choosing template snacks. Need to work on that.

Tonight I will make some tuna salad to take over from the yogurt for the next few days. I will try yogurt again when I'm not in the middle of a cold.

I've lost another pound and a half, so that's almost 5 lbs now. I'm happy with that and hope to keep losing slowly until I get to my goal. I need to remember that the template is the key to that. My husband said he can tell I've slimmed down a little, too. That's nice to hear. I'll be able to wear my sundresses in no time!

M1 - yogurt (last of it), roast sweet potato, massaged greens salad, cm coffee, coconut butter

M2 - zoodles! w/ ground beef, marinara and olives

M3 - steak, avocado, cooked greens, chocolate, banana

Done with dairy for a while. Physibeth is right - I need to wait until my cold is gone, which it still isn't!

Funny how excited I was to find I had two avoados in my fridge. I thought I was out and would have to eat my tuna plain, but I found them and was almost giddy! But, now I'm out. Need to go to the store.

M1 - tuna salad, kale salad, melon, cm coffee

M2 - WF hot bar :wub:

M3 - more tuna salad, l/o cooked greens, veg, chocolate

• Moderators

I've lost another pound and a half, so that's almost 5 lbs now. I'm happy with that and hope to keep losing slowly until I get to my goal. I need to remember that the template is the key to that. My husband said he can tell I've slimmed down a little, too. That's nice to hear. I'll be able to wear my sundresses in no time!

So sorry you're sick (it makes everything harder)! Really happy, though, to hear that you're making progress by continuing with Whole9. I know you weren't feeling the magic on Whole30, so it's good to know the process has continued for you--and in the right direction!

Weeee! I went to the Whole Foods hot bar for lunch since it was "on the way" back from Trader Joe's, which is "on the way" to work (so not on the way, but I don't care!). And I didn't read ingredients. :ph34r: The only thing that I know is not W30 was some peas in the curried cauliflower, but other than that I was a good girl and actually got meat and veggies instead of quinoa and chickpeas and veggies. Very yummy treat.

Tummy is kind of wonky this afternoon. Too much food? Something in the food that doesn't agree with me? Forgot my enzymes? Who knows. It was still a good treat and dinner tonight is "scrounge" so if I'm not hungry, I don't have to eat.

BTW - my kids' favorite meal is scrounge. LOL

My tummy felt fine by dinner so I was able to eat with my kids. I resisted the urge to have a snack after soccer.

My son was up all night coughing. It was awful. He got my cold and boy did it knock him down. My cold was mostly in my nose and sinuses. His hit his throat. We tried everything - cough drops, cloriseptic, vapor rub, humidifier. I think he finally slept at 2am and is still sleeping. I will be staying home with him, which should make for a nice day. It's sunny out, too, so I hope he feels up for a nice walk in the sunshine. I think that will make everyone feel better!

M1 - tuna salad, kale salad, veg, cm coffee

M2 - soup, chicken sausage

snack - apple, sunbutter

M3 - taco meat, salad, plantain tostada

snack - wine!

Friday night happy hour - Hot Yoga! Yay! I'm planning on taking full advantage of it being Mother's Day weekend and hope to go to yoga Friday, Saturday AND Sunday! :)

Aw. Poor guy. Hope he feels better today. Hate it when my kids get a cough.

Glad your tummy is better.

And yay for three days of yoga! That is a Mother's Day treat.

I only went once this week, and I will miss pilates class tomorrow since we are out of town. I'm feeling the lack of yoga. I also haven't worked out at all. I seem to have a hard time getting food and exercise on point at the same time.

Happy Friday.

I had wine last night! After yoga, my mom/soccer/yoga friend hung out for a bit so the kids could keep playing and we opened a very good bottle of wine. So yummy!. I definitely felt the buzz with just one glass - it doesn't take much, I'm a total light weight. But, I did not notice any bad effects. I slept awesome (I was so tired!) and I feel fine this morning. The bad side effect, was that I ended up eating chocolate, too. Not a ton - no sugar hangover, but enough. There is nothing wrong with a little wine and chocolate with a good friend on a Friday night. I enjoyed it, but let it go now and stay on track today and not let Friday night wine and chocolate lead to a weekend full of poor choices. That is important to me. I want to be able to enjoy a special treat without it leading to a string of poor, non-special, choices. Today is a good day to practice that.

My main goal is to stick to the template the best I can - three meals, no snacks, no desserts. I know I'll have non W30 foods tomorrow at Mother's Day, but I will contain it to my mom's quinoa salad and will skip the desserts, bread and other stuff I don't need. Then, I will not graze my way through the rest of the day.

I'm going to try to make mayo today! Fries and sriracha mayo are on the dinner menu. Wish me luck!

M1 - tuna salad, kale salad

M2 - egg whites from failed yolk only mayo plus one whole egg, guac, plantain tostadas, salad

M3 - salmon, sw potato fries, mayo, salad, green beans, wine, chocolate

• Moderators

I enjoyed it, but let it go now and stay on track today and not let Friday night wine and chocolate lead to a weekend full of poor choices. That is important to me. I want to be able to enjoy a special treat without it leading to a string of poor, non-special, choices. Today is a good day to practice that.

My main goal is to stick to the template the best I can - three meals, no snacks, no desserts. I know I'll have non W30 foods tomorrow at Mother's Day, but I will contain it to my mom's quinoa salad and will skip the desserts, bread and other stuff I don't need. Then, I will not graze my way through the rest of the day.

Awesome job, Jen. Great plan!

I made mayo!!!! It took 4 tries. I first tried a yolk only recipe in the food processor. I then tried adding that failed mayo to another yolk in the blender. Then, tried adding that still failed mayo to a new yolk in the small food processor. Finally, poured it all out and used one of the whole egg recipes in the Mayo thread on the forums here and used the stick blender. That worked perfectly! Woohoo! We are having salmon tonight, so I will make sriracha mayo for me and tartar sauce for the kids (yes, it's painful to see them put tartar sauce on wild alaskan salmon). Can't wait!

I've yet to enjoy the sriracha mayo. Hope it was delectable. And that your kids ate the salmon. I wouldn't mind about the tartar (it's real mayo after all) if my kids would eat salmon.

Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your yoga.

Wine with friends is fun and, as moms, we need our fun any way we can take it. One glass of wine and a few laughs with a friend is good for the soul, I think.

Archived