Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Beets - My kids love salmon. And walleye. And pheasant. They have expensive tastes. LOL

Not doing so hot sticking to the template. I made the family pancakes this morning. They were Paleo pancakes, but still, no veggies in sight and I ate too much and now feel blah. But, they were good and if you can't have pancakes on Mother's Day, when can you? It will give me motivation to stick to the plan for lunch with the family (the plan includes quinoa, but NO dessert). Oh, and all that maple syrup I boiled down and canned? So yummy! :D

I finished off the wine last night. There wasn't much left and it was way too nice a bottle to waste (a gift from wine connoissseur neighbors). I also had a bit more chocolate. The family had ice cream sundaes, so I consider my choice better than that. The sriracha mayo was super yummy. My husband put wasabi mayo on his salmon. The kids had tarter sauce. Everyone was happy until the 8yo spilled his plate full of tartar sauce and ketchup on the white carpet. We were having a family movie night picnic so that the kids wouldn't be up too late, but with the time we paused the movie to clean the carpet, we should have just eaten in the kitchen and then watched the movie. Oh well. It came out.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

M1 - paleo pancakes, strawberries, syrup, coffee

M2 - braut, quinoa salad, green salad, too much fruit fruit, couple bites hummus

M3 - date rosemary chicken, tiny sw potato, coconut butter, salad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still sick. This is going on 11 days now of being stuffed up more than just my normal allergies. Ugh!

I did well yesterday. I didn't graze or snack and I stuck to the foods I planned to eat except for two bites of hummus. I felt very bloated after lunch. It could have been from just eating too much or from eating too much fruit or from the quinoa or the hummus. Or all of the above.

I made it to hot yoga yesterday afternoon, so I made it each day of the weekend - yay!. It was close. My family would not leave! I was debating just leaving when it was time. They finally were all gone with just enough time to spare for me to change and head out. It was fabulous. Just what I needed to relax after hosting a party. Then, I came home and made rosemary date chicken. So good!!!! I loved it. Nobody was very hungry, so I had tons leftover to make chicken salad with my leftover mayo for lunches this week. Perfect! I also made up some kale salad and hb eggs. I figured since I brought back eggs in mayo and paleo pancakes, I'm bringing back eggs. I just wish this cold would leave so I could try dairy again!

My goal this week is to just get back to basics. Three meals, no snacks, compliant foods. I have tons of good food made up for meals. I have no reason to stray. The dates and chocolate and wine are gone. Just basics.

M1 - kale salad, 2 hb eggs, salmon, small sw pot w/ coconut butter, cm coffee, strawberries

M2 - chicken salad, veg

M3 - sausage, sw pot w/ coconut butter, salad, strawberry popsicle

Snack - banana/almond butter

I am still sick. This is going on 11 days now of being stuffed up more than just my normal allergies. Ugh!

I'm on day 11 today too and mostly feel myself again but still coughing stuff up. This was a really rough one I think.

I really wanted banana cake and ice cream with the family last night! Just because I wanted it, not because it's that good. I resisted and had a banana with almond butter instead. Better choice than the cake.

M1 - carrots/almond butter, kale salad, 2 hb eggs, salmon, small sw pot w/ coconut butter, cm coffee, melon

M2 - chicken salad, veg

M3 - date chicken, sw pot w/ coconut butter, salad

snack - banana, carrots, almond butter - was very hungry after soccer (my son's not mine)

Wow. Banana cake sounds yummy. Great job!

I was surprised that you wrote you are inspired by my dedication. I feel decidedly less than dedicated. You are so strong in the face of all these tempting treats you make for your family.

And I'm glad you finally sampled that maple syrup. I bought a gallon of freshly-processed VT maple syrup last year through a listserv. It was a lot less expensive than $22 for a quart of organic syrup in the store. It is delicious, but I guess we don't use as much as I thought we would! I still have several ball jars on our freezer.

The kids love a bit of it in yogurt or in our banana "ice cream." I thought I'd use it instead of sugar in baking but last year I was too frazzled to bake much, and now I'm just not baking at all.

I think we all inspire each other. That's why the forums are so helpful. We see others struggle and succeed and are inspired to do the same. We see others not succeed and it gives us tips to avoid our own struggles. We all help each other. I see you survive a weekend away with minimal lapses (you really did great considering what it could have been if you'd not gone prepared with your brisket and cabbage!) and figure I can survive one Mother's Day lunch.

We gave most of the 4 gallons of syrup we made away to friends and family. I doubt we'll use what we kept, but we'll see. I will use it in some baking, I'm sure. That reminds me that I have a ton of frozen bananas and should make banana ice cream. The kids love it!

Whew! Super busy day! I haven't had time to breathe since I got to work today. I was debating on whether or not to go out to lunch with my sister - I would like to but I didn't really want to "stray" from the plan. Friday night will be her law school graduation party and I'm sure I'll stray then. "Luckily" (ha!) work made the decision for me.

Dr said I have a sinus infection and gave me antibiotics and a nasal spray. I am sure it will clear it up quickly and I will feel human again.

After rushing from work to the dr and then home, I arrived home with 45 minutes to feed everybody and get out the door to drive across town to my son's soccer game. I arrived home to find my younger son and the neighbor boy digging a hole at the base of the slide, pouring water into it and sliding down into the mud pool. They were caked with mud head to toe and there was mud all over my laundry room from where they'd gone in and out to get the water. That was exactly what I didn't need at that time. I was SO MAD! After I yelled at them, I had them go jump in the lake to clean off and then called my husband up from his office to supervise them changing and cleaning up the mess they made. By some miracle, we made it out the door and to soccer on time. I'm sure it will be a sweet memory in time, but boy was I mad yesterday!

M1 - kale salad, hb eggs, salmon, melon, cb sw pot, cm coffee

M2 - chicken salad, veg

M3 - shredded salsa beef, plantain tostadas, guac, salad

snack - carrots, almond butter

I just reintroduced corn. I was starving and the best option I had at my desk (from my stash of pre W30 snacks) was a small bag of kettle corn (corn, sugar, salt, oil), which I figured was better than the various granola bars with many more ingredients. So far, the only reaction is that I'm no longer starving. :P

Ha! Hope you have no other delayed reactions.

I feel you on the mud! I screamed at my kids twice today: once when they spread diaper cream all over the living room (took five mins just to wash my son's hands) and again when he and his friend ran wildly into the street while I looked for my lost keys.

Grr.

These early dinners to get to soccer on time are killing me on the no pm snack. I just can't go from 5-10 without needing a snack. I also can't wait until 8 to eat dinner. Oh well. Carrots and almond butter aren't a bad snack. A better snack would be more of dinner, but I wanted to save the leftovers for dinner tonight. At least I'm not grazing on cereal all night anymore.

45 days into the W30, I'm down a total of 5 lbs. Yay! That's half of what I wanted to lose and I'm happy that I've continued to lose (though slowly) even after the strict W30 part was done. I'm still disappointed that it didn't help my allergies, but I'll stick with it to lose those last few pounds that I struggled with for the past few years. No amount of calorie counting or exercising or restriction would make them budge, but this plan is working slowly but surely. I'm happy to be able to wear most of my clothes now and feel confident that those last few pairs of pants will fit soon. I can get them on now, but they're only comfortable/flattering if I stand perfectly still. LOL I'm not aiming for a bikini body - I am almost 40 and have had 2 kids, after all - things aren't where they used to be! :lol: I just want my clothes to fit.

I'm also hoping that by sticking with this for a couple more months while I try to lose the last 5 lbs, the parts of it that I want to keep - 3 meals / limited snacks, more protein/fat, less grains, etc - will become routine enough to stick. I still have some tweaking to do. When this cold is completely gone, I will try dairy again. Eggs seem to not make a difference, so I'm glad about that. If I can have yogurt and eggs in place of some of the meat, I think I can keep this up long term.

M1 - hb eggs, kale salad, cb sw pot, cm coffee, strawb

M2 - chicken salad, carrots, small apple

M3 - shredded salsa beef, plantain tostadas, guac, salad

snack - carrots, almond butter, bites of apple - this is becomming a bad habit that I need to stop

• Moderators

45 days into the W30, I'm down a total of 5 lbs. Yay! That's half of what I wanted to lose and I'm happy that I've continued to lose (though slowly) even after the strict W30 part was done.

I am so happy it's paying off for you--and that you've been patient, persistent, and made your own way. Very inspiring to me!

Also, tell me more about the plantain tostadas. I bought a plantain and haven't yet figured out what to do with it.

M - There's a thread in the recipe forum devoted to discussing this particular recipe. But, basically, you peel and chop 2 yellow plantains. Add 1/4 C melted coconut butter and some salt and process in the food processor until smooth. Make 6 patties on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes - turning 1/2 way through. They should set up and be toasty brown. I made a ton and froze them so I can take out two whenever the family is having Mexican. It's a W30 approved way to deliver the rest of the meal into my mouth (instead of a tortilla or chips). I top it with the meat, salsa and guac. So yummy and a nice change from just putting everything on a salad. The first time I made them, the whole family ate them. Now, I hoard them. :) I liked the meat and ranchero sauce from the recipe in questions, too, but the tostada is the part I think I will keep forever! Way easier to throw a roast in the crockpot with some salsa than to follow that recipe.

Ugh! Too full. I was in an eat-y mood this morning, I guess. I doubled up on the kale and the coconut butter to stop the need more food feeling. I'm hoping, though, that it means I can wait until 1 or 2 to eat lunch so that I won't need to eat anything before my sister's law school grad ceremony and can wait until the party after at 8ish. I did bring two lunches, though, in case I do need to eat before the ceremony. Or, if I get to the party and there really isn't anything I want to eat. I plan to have a glass of wine, but otherwise, hope to stick to W30. My dad ordered appetizery food from an Italian market, so I'm hopeful that there are some olives and meats and veggies in there somewhere to make a meal of. Otherwise, I'll eat my chicken salad in the car. LOL I'm going to do the best I can, but plan to avoid grains, dairy and desserts all together.

My dad and family are spending the night after the party and will be around for breakfast tomorrow. My plan is to put out hb eggs and a big kale salad and let my dad make GF pancakes for the kids (my dad's wife and my littlest sister are GF). That way, we will all be happy. I strugggled trying to think of something that would make everyone happy, but then I decided to just go with the flow and have a bunch of stuff.

M1 - hb eggs, kale salad x 2, sw pt, cb x 2, strawb, cm coffee

M2- squash soup, sausage, spinach, carrots, tomatoes

M3 - do the best I can

Alone in the car eating chicken salad. Aw. Make it a good chicken salad. Or I hope there's other stuff you can eat.

Last weekend at my brother's I kept using my psoriasis as the driving factor behind my "strict" diet. My sister (who as my sole bridesmaid on my wedding day told me she'd been working out with the sole intention of looking better than me) said something like, "I feel like I lucked out in terms of my genes for skin and my weight. I never had to be strict like you."

Nevermind that she smokes. Drinks a lot. Or that I was a size 4 at 5'7" through my 20s. But why do I even go there? Why does a silly comment like that get me all jammed up for days and make me feel so competitive about weight? I'm doing this for my health. :)

Hope your sisters don't say anything like that--and that you have a lovely time with your family.

Ugh! Competition over weight is ridiculous, but we all do it at times. Just maybe not as obviously as your sister! I can't believe she said that at your wedding!

No worries about mine. My graduating sister is 28, my youngest sister is 8 and my sister in law is also 28 and is 4'8", so there's no comparison, let alone competition, there. I'm the old one who has had 2 kids. :D

My main issue is that my dad's wife is obsessive about the food she and my littlest sister eat and so I feel a need to be NOT obsessive and just go with the flow. So, if there really isn't anything I want to eat, I will probably just wait it out and eat my chicken salad at home rather than say anything. Luckily, it's not a sit down dinner so nobody will notice what I eat or don't eat. It's just appetizers and stuff at my brother's house. Plus, with my brother's dogs, I'm sure I'll have to leave within an hour due to my asthma/allergies so I won't have time to get into trouble with the dessert table. Sigh.

I'm sure it will be fun, anyway, and it's so cool that my sister is graduating from law school! When she was in 7th grade and told me in all seriousness that she couldn't be expected to get good grades because she had to focus on being popular, I would not have believed she'd one day be the most educated sibling! (my brother and I have MBA's, but a JD tops that!)

I'm the only one with kids in my family, too. My sister is six years younger than me. And a little bit crazy. :)

I was really proud of my brother when he graduated from law school, too. I think he made up his mind to be a lawyer a long time ago, though. He loves tax law. I mean, he's very funny and surfs and likes to have a good time--but he also likes things that are rigid and orderly.

Congrats to your sister!

My sister does not like rigid and orderly. She was a theatre major in college until she discovered mock trial and realized that going to court is a way to "perform" and get paid a whole lot more for it than being an aspiring actor. LOL

• Moderators

My sister (who as my sole bridesmaid on my wedding day told me she'd been working out with the sole intention of looking better than me) said something like, "I feel like I lucked out in terms of my genes for skin and my weight. I never had to be strict like you."

Nevermind that she smokes. Drinks a lot. Or that I was a size 4 at 5'7" through my 20s. But why do I even go there? Why does a silly comment like that get me all jammed up for days and make me feel so competitive about weight? I'm doing this for my health. :)

Hope your sisters don't say anything like that--and that you have a lovely time with your family.

Out of context, your sister's recent comment could be read as compassionate. But regarding your wedding? Yikes. She sounds like a mean girl. :( Sometimes your crazy-making stories make me grateful I don't have kids or siblings, Beets. Thanks for that, I guess. :huh:

I did the best I could. And then I didn't.

I did make it until after 8pm just fine

I ate tons of delicious roasted vegetables

I ate some meatballs

I ate some fruit

I ate some candied walnuts - yep, there I go with the sugar coated nuts again

I ate a prosciutto wrapped goat cheese pear thing that was so delicious and so worth it

I ate a few tiny sesame cookies

I had 2 small glasses of wine and 1 small glass of champagne (would have skipped the 2nd glass of wine if I'd known there would be a champagne toast)

That was all fine. Not perfect, but fine.

Then, I came home and had to wait an hour for my dad to follow and ended up snacking on coconut butter and chocolate. That I am not happy about.

I also only got about 6 hours of sleep.

So, I don't feel awful, but I don't feel great. Just kind of blah all over and slightly unhappy tummy. I didn't eat nearly the sugar I would have before the W30, but it was way more than I'm used to and I didn't drink enough water and didn't get enough sleep.

I will stick to the template today and try to get to bed early so that I will feel great tomorrow.

Today will be spent watching soccer in the rain. At least it is supposed to be warm rain. Sigh.

Weird day of awkward timing

M1 - 7am (before guests got up) - cb sw pot, cm coffee

M2 - 9am (after guests got up) - kale salad, hb eggs

M3 - 11:30am (before soccer game) - 2nd cb sw pot

M4 - 3pm (after soccer game) - coconut sardines on salad with avocado and lemon juice and apple

M5 - salsad, sausage/guac on plantain tostadas x 4

Out of context, your sister's recent comment could be read as compassionate. But regarding your wedding? Yikes. She sounds like a mean girl. :( Sometimes your crazy-making stories make me grateful I don't have kids or siblings, Beets. Thanks for that, I guess. :huh:

There is a LOT of drama that comes with siblings (and kids, for that matter). My family could be a soap opera.

A lot of drama indeed.

I don't think my sister meant the wedding thing in a mean way. She was drunk when she said it and I think she thought she was being charming.

She never got over being the youngest in our family and for years staked her identity on being the un-me. Whatever. She has her own fish to fry.

Your eating sounds pretty good! I think in our own heads we exaggerate the "violations" but if you step back you will see you did fine. Family things are so hard.

I've been reading about making kombucha. Maybe in the summer. Report back!

Archived