Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Moderators

Sounds like an overall great weekend! Sorry about the yoga injury. That's terrible. Congrats on continuing your NS streak! Very impressive. My best guess about the cold sore is that it's more stress about the house and shift in everyone's schedules for summer than the physical injury, but who knows. Maybe use it as more incentive to continue laying off the booze and sweets, though!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay for a great weekend!  Ouch for falling out of the headstand.  I'm so glad there weren't many after effects!

I think that your clean eating keeps the cold sores away most of the time, but my best guess is you will still continue to get one here or there, infrequently.

A really fantastic choice to continue on with NS when you were already full from dinner.  I did have a bite of cheesecake last night, but I was glad I didn't succomb to the pressure of having a piece for myself.

Wow. I don't think I could have resisted licking the strawberry rhubarb part of the crisp! I love fresh fruit crisps.

And bravo getting so much done. I agree with LM on the cold sore front. I know the impending end of school is causing a lot of stress in our house. 😬

NS46 today!

It's possible that the stress of changing schedules could also be a reason for the cold sore.  My naturopath step-mother also said that the inflamation caused by an injury could also be the cause.  Or, like Sara said, maybe I'll still get them randomly for no reason.  Still, going from January to June is HUGE so I'll focus on that. 

I had a bad night last night.  Long frustrating drive home in the rain, very whiny grumpy 9yo, soccer team drama and technology that wasn't cooperating.  Oh, and my favorite yoga teacher being subbed by one I don't like.  I ended up shouting at 9yo and sending him to bed.  Sending him to bed was the right decision.  Shouting was not.  I felt bad and was irratible all night.  As a result, I did a little AB dipping, but somehow reisted the leftover crisp or other sugar, despite wanting it badly.  I'm happier today for that effort.  Sugar would not have helped me feel better.  (I have to keep reminding myself of that)

Great job resisting sugar on a tough night!  I feel badly when I lose my temper with my son.  He has a way of picking that moment when all hell is breaking loose to work on me.  But I'm the adult and I need to be responsible for my actions.  Thanks for the reminder.

Hopefully today will be a smoother, calmer day.

So tired!  We had to drive 2hrs away for a soccer game.  The nice thing is that it was to my hometown so all the grandparents were able to meet us for dinner and then come cheer on the team.  We didn't get to bed until midnight.  I will pay attention today knowing that pending AF and 5 hrs of sleep will be working against my heathly efforts.  My goal is to eat clean and get to bed early.  Sadly, I'll probably cancel yoga because I could use that extra hour of sleep tonight. 

I survived the day without faceplanting into sugar or biting off anyone's head. :)  I did not, however, sleep well.  It was muggy and the geo system wasn't doing a good job with that.  And then we had storms.  I'm so sick of rain and storms! 

Plan for the day is the same as yesterday - don't faceplant into sugar, don't bite anyone's head off, try to get to bed early.  I would like to go to yoga, though.  That would prevent an early bed time, but might help me sleep better.

I feel like I've been doing a really awful job with my patience and my kids lately. Before my whole -- I was on a big "no yelling" project with my kids. But since I started focusing on my eating and working out that has suffered. I'd love to think eating better makes me a more patient mom and maybe it does in the big picture. But I also find my fuse shorter sometimes.

Usually when I fail it's bc I'm really scoldy or I'm using threats to get them to do x. But sometimes I really yell and that feels horrible.

Good job keeping your face out of the sugar! Hope the cold sore thing resolves soon.

Yoga was great.  Much needed.  I realized I've canceled the last three sessions!  So, I'm very glad to have gotten in an extra.  The stars aligned to make it happen - soccer game canceled, boys headed to a movie instead and fav teacher subbing.  Yay! 

Still, I didn't sleep great.  It's kind of muggy.  I think that is probably the reason.  But, it was better than the night before.

My hope for the weekend is (between soccer games) to catch up on some sleep, get plenty of stuff done, and get to yoga a couple times.  And maybe a walk.  And husband and I have to have an argument discussion about how many activities the kids should have going at one time.  Husband doesn't want to let 12yo drop scouts (even though he doesn't enjoy scouts, soccer is crazy busy and pretty much year round AND he's going to do the special math program that will take up every Thursday night and require 10 hours of homework...).  He also doesn't think we should let 9yo drop sports (even though he is so stubborn that if we make him do something he doesn't want to do, he will make our lives h-e-double-hockey sticks, and he is very involved in scouts and during the school year needs extra time for homework and reading and really needs his sleep).  Wish me luck winning this "discussion".

NS50 is tomorrow!  I'm pretty happy with that.  Keep it up, me!  I don't see any challeges this weekend.  Except a sleepover Sat night.  I'm sure I'll make Miss Jen's special popcorn.  (It's funny, and kind of sad, that for my kids' friends, popcorn made from scratch is such a novelty.  Those microwave packets are scary!)  I just have to not eat it.

Have a great weekend, all!  And, wishes for great weather!

• Moderators

Good luck with the "discussion" and the popcorn. I'd have a very hard time resisting. That might be a "worth it" treat to me. And yes, those microwave packets are SCARY. Maybe you could make kettle corn and then maybe have an easier time resisting it because of your NS challenge? Or is that the craziest idea I've come up with in a while? :blink:

Hope you were able to resist the popcorn!  We do the air blower popcorn, the microwave popcorn is just not right.

I hope your "discussion" went well.  That's a tough one.  School year activities are so hard to make work and the kids really need their sleep.  I'm sure you can find a place where you are all comfortable.

I hope you were able to get some yoga into your weekend!  And congrats on your NS continued success!

Good morning.  The weekend was pretty good.

I did eat a little bit of popcorn with butter.  I got a bit of a stomach ache.  My tummy's not used to corn or butter, I guess.  I did not eat a ton and didn't eat any with candy added. :)

The discussion didn't happen.  Maybe we'll just ignore it and it will go away?  I'm the one who signs up for stuff and the one who drives to stuff, so if I just don't do it, it will be too late.  I know that's passive aggressive, but I've brought it up many times and we never find time to talk about it so I kind of feel like just ignoring it.  Maybe we'll talk about it this week.  Football sign up is due by next Monday and soccer not long after that so if we don't decide soon, it'll be too late anyway.

NS52!  For the record, it should really be no desserts or no sweets.  No sugar isn't really accurate as I am not worrying about sugar in stuff - marinades, dressings, rubs, cures, whatever.  I made a ham last night (we have 4 from our pig and have to use them - no way am I wasting any part of that expensive local organic happy pig!) - there is sugar in the curing, I'm sure.  I'm not worried about that.  Not having to stress about hidden ingredients when eating away from home (or even at home) is what is allowing me to stay the course on this.  Still, 52 days with one dessert (date night) and not one spoon of ice cream or cookies from husband's ice cream or piece of candy from co-worker's desk or cake for co-workers birthdays or all the other not worth it occasions that pop up constantly is very good for me. 

You know, your clarification is for you!  I think your challenge is going so well and you seem so positive about it.   :)

I can see wanting to avoid the discussion, but I know in my household, that would lead to scrambling to figure things out at the last minute, which I hate.

• Moderators

You are doing such a great job making this work for you, Jen! I'm not freaking about sneaky sugar in some condiments or marinades, especially eaten out, either. I did, however, have my first deliberate swypo today and was pretty delighted with it. I threw the last bit of a can of coconut milk in the blender with four frozen strawberries and voila! A single serving of sugar and garbage free ice cream. Definitely not sweet enough to fire up the sugar dragon, but so satisfying and refreshing that my niggling desire for a summer ice cream treat has subsided.

So tired!  I am not happy with my body right now.  It keeps waking up at 5am and not going back to sleep.  It's so annoying!  Even with the blackout curtains (which, unfortunately, let light in around the edges, but not that much).  It doesn't matter if I go to bed at midnight or 9pm, I wake up at 5.  So frustrating. 

Besides that, things are fine.  AF and lack of sleep is making me feel kind of blah and bloated, but I'm not fretting about it.  I just keep trying to get some more sleep.  We actually have a rather light week this week for a change.  I went to yoga Monday and Tuesday hoping it would help with the sleep.  Tonight, I will skip yoga and try for some more rest.  And, we actually can all sit down and eat dinner together.  No evening activities.  I can't remember the last time that happened.  Just went and looked at our google calendar and for weeknights, there are NO nights with no activities in June or May.  I didn't look back farther than that.  There were a few nights with canceled soccer, I think, but no planned free nights.  My yoga and husbands city council / committee meetings are in there, too, so there were some nights one of us was home with the kids, but no nights we all could plan on being home.  That's just crazy!  I need to sit husband down and show him that and ask him where he thinks we can add more stuff in.  It's not possible.  Or healthy.

• Moderators

Wow, Jen. What a revelation! I agree: that is no way to live. It seems everyone I know complains about how busy they are and how badly they want to slow down. Funny thing is, all any of us has to do is make the choice to slow down and say no to a few things. Of course, some of us have the unenviable added challenge of getting our husbands on board. . . . Good luck with that!

Also, I hope you can get more sleep. Sounds like earlier to bed is the only way. Good on you for giving yourself the yoga classes!

Yeah, I think we're ready to crack.  Need to slow down!

I slept until 5:45!  I would have liked to sleep a bit more, but at least it wasn't 5:00.  We had a lovely night at home.  12yo had a soccer game at 4:30 (so, there was still an activity but it was before dinner), so we were all home and eating together by 6.  Then, we snuggled in and watched star trek together.  It was relaxing and much needed.  Back at it tonight with more soccer running around.

I made a decision.  I have too many clothes.  Whatever I don't wear this summer is going away, whether it's because it doesn't quite fit (I have to give up on that last 5 lbs...), or because I don't like it that much or because of whatever reason.  I'll do the same after fall and the same after winter.  I'm almost 40, I'm not going to fit into those clothes again and even if I do fit into them again, they are probably out of style and too young for me anyway.  Time to move on!  And, make room in my closet for new clothes. :)

Great decision on cleaning out the closet.  I need to do that as well.  I think a part of me is worried that if I keep only what I wear, my closet will look ridiculously empty!  But I really don't need 5 pairs of jeans from when I was 25.  Even if I could fit into them, I'm sure they are hopelessly out of style.  Silly to keep them around!

Hope you got some sleep this weekend!

Archived