Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back.  We were at the cabin for the weekend.  We had a very nice time.  It rained some, but it wasn't a wash out, so we were happy.  Unfortunately, that means I did not get much sleep.  Everyone is up at 5 to go fishing and I have a hard time going back to sleep.  I tried to catch up last night, but I barely slept at all!  I think it was too much coffee in the morning, but, whatever it was, it was awful.  So, I am a zombie today.  Goal is the same as last time - don't faceplant into sugar and don't bite anyone's head off!  I'll keep the coffee to a minimum today and get to bed early.

As far as food goes, I did well at the cabin.  I enjoyed one piece of cinnamon toast each morning with my eggs and a couple glasses of wine with my mom (who came up for one night), but totally avoided sweets and desserts and snacking.  I'm pretty happy about that. 

Today is NS60!!!!  That's incredible.  I have to admit, I hoped I'd lose a couple lbs.  I have not.  But, I am happy not dealing with the temptations/cravings/guilt/etc that comes with sweets for me.  I'm going to just keep going.  I think, though, that I've been relying too much on AB as a substitute for the sugar.  I'm not willing to say I'll never have it, but I am going to try no nut butter for 1 week and see how it goes.  I didn't think I would ever go 60 days with only one dessert.  That would be crazy talk! LOL  So, maybe I can cut back on the nut butters.  If I'm going to crack, though, it will be the AB that comes back and not the sugar.  So, today is NS60 and NNB1. :)

I'm starting to think about the holiday weekend and what I'll do.  I'm not feeling the need to give myself a pass on the sweets.  If something comes up that is fabulous and worth it, I can use one of my exceptions, but it will have to be very good.  I'm also not planning on drinking much.  I'll take it one occasion at a time, but won't drink just because others are.  It'll have to be because I want to.  And, the goal will be to eat normal meals at meal times and not graze all weekend long at the various get togethers we have.  (I know of 5, so far - scary!)

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.  I'm glad to be home!

Glad you are home, Jen!  Sorry about the sleep, but holy heck, congrats on the NS60!  That is super impressive and I'm so glad it has meant "not dealing with the temptations/cravings/guilt/etc"!   :D 

Five get togethers, yikes!  We don't have anything scheduled at the moment, but our neighbors might have something impromptu.  We will be  using the weekend to get the house ready for my son's birthday party the following weekend - 44 guests and counting!  :blink:

Good luck, your stomach might thank you having a week off nuts??? i did a whole100 and gained weight so Im with you on not losing weight being NS but finding life easier to deal with. I am starting NA2 today... No alcohol! Also going for an E60... 60 minutes of exercise a day. It's good to have goals!

Goals are good.  I think we need some structure.  There was a post recently somewhere about that.  We need structure just like the kids. :)  I think there's some truth to that.

NS61, NNB2 - I really wanted some AB last night, but I resisted. 

I got almost 9 hours of sleep last night.  I feel much better.  Still tired but not zombie like. 

Yoga and hopefully another good night sleep tonight.  I don't have to set my alarm for 6am tomorrow for the first time since school let out!  Not that it matters because I wake up so early anyway, but perhaps knowing I had a hard deadline for leaving the house was part of why I kept waking up so early.  12yo had summer academy so we had to leave by 7.  That's not much earlier than I would leave normally, but nobody is watching the clock when I get to work so a few minutes either way doesn't matter.  I wonder if deep down inside, I was afraid of getting him to class late so kept waking up early?  I guess I'll find out.  Summer can officially begin now. :)  The summer enrichment class is really good for him (good to see learning as fun and challenging rather than boring), but it does make it seem like summer doesn't start until July.  I'm sending the boys berry picking tomorrow to load up on strawberries so I can make more jam.  I couldn't figure out when I could get up there with them so I'm sending the nanny!  I kind of like this nanny thing.  LOL  Now we just need some summer weather and we'll be all good.

Get togethers and plans (talking to myself here)

Thurs night fish fry at friends' - I'll bring salad, will eat the fish even though it's battered (fresh walleye is worth it) and will probably have a cocktail.  No dessert!  There will probably be chips, salsa and guac.  I'll bring some carrot and celery sticks to dip.

Fri afternoon neighbor party - it's after lunch so I'll skip the food and drinks.  I'll just bring my own water or kombucha.

Fri evening neighbor party - I'll bring salad and will eat a burger/no bun.  Will skip the drinks.  Not worth it.  I usually head in early anyway because I hate fireworks (traumatized as a kid).

Sat cabin afternoon with famiy - I'll bring salad and brauts.  No desserts.  Probaby skip the drinks.  Ooh, and my dad is bringing smoked salmon.  I'll eat that for sure even though I'm sure it has sugar in it (ok under my NS rules as it's not a dessert).

Sun BBQ with friends at my house - I'll make good real food and it'll be easy peasy.  Dessert for the kids is going to be watermelon cupcakes!  I've been waiting to try that.  I saw it online.  Just cut the watermelon into rounds, put them in cupcake papers and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.  So easy and so much healthier than real cupcakes, despite the whipped cream.  If I were doing dessert, I'd put coconut cream on mine, but I'll just skip it.

That's my plan.  I can be flexible.  But, it's good to have an idea ahead of time what I will or will not eat / drink so I don't run into problems for myself.  If I run into a fabulous worth it dessert somewhere, I may have some (I still have 4 of my 5 allowed exceptions), but I'll take that as it comes.  General rule is no dessert.

Glad you finally got some sleep.  Maybe I'll catch up tonight.  Great job on resisting the AB.

Structure is good for me.  We have a lot to get done this weekend, so I need to make a list or else we will end up cramming everything in on Sunday, which is miserable.

I hope your "real" summer allows you to sleep in a bit.  It is cool that your son can take an enrichment class and still have some time off - that works out great.  My Mom works with my son almost every day, some workbook pages for math and reading and some reading from a book of his choosing.  I like that it keeps him familiar with school stuff, but without the rigors of school itself.

Good plan for your party-filled weekend, and having those NS exceptions in your back pocket keeps you flexible.

I'm sluffing off today.  I am "working at home" and got to go to an am yoga class.  It was a good one!  They are closed the next two days.  So sad!  I suppose they deserve the holiday off.  Maybe. :)  I finally went to Lululemon yesterday and used my Christmas gift card.  I got a super cute top that is a bit higher in the chest than the others I have.  The downside is that it doesn't stay down when I'm upside down, but I can just tuck it in before doing headstands and stuff.  And the benefit of that is then I can see the cute waist band of my new pants.  :)  I also got a hot yoga towel that can be machine washed! (my mom gives good gift cards!)  Very fun! 

So far so good today - sticking to normal breakfast and lunch so that if dinner is a bit off road, it won't compound. 

Have a great weekend!

Happy Monday.  We had a great weekend.  So many get togethers and fun times with friends and family. 

I did not, however, eat very well.  I grazed and ate way too much every day and had at least one cocktail each day.  I still struggle with a table full of yummy food.  For the most part, though, I stuck to clean(ish) food and didn't off-road too much.  Just too much food.  Too much guacamole, mostly. :)  I managed to avoid the sweets completely except for my exception #2 which ended up being a slice of the fresh picked strawberry pie I made.  It was worth it.  Fresh picked local strawberries are so much better than store bought so it's a once a year worth it treat.  Oh, and I didn't have any nutbutter.  It helped that I was never hungry enough to even think about a snack.  I'm happy to get back to normal non party eating this week.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I have an all day meeting today with lunch provided.  If it was just work people, I'd bring my lunch, but it's board members and outside advisors and I feel like I need to eat what's there and not stick out.  So, the plan is to eat as much of the salad as I can and the inside of a sandwich.  I may starve, but I won't die. :)  I had an extra big breakfast to prepare (skipping the breakfast provided as it's likely donuts).  And, I brought some HB eggs and veggies in case I really am starving and need to sneak back to my office to snarf down some real food.  Wish me luck!

Good morning.  The lunch plan worked great yesterday.  I didn't starve at all. :)  Two big plates of salad (with almonds and blue cheese for some fat - not the top choices, but it worked) and the insides of a sandwich held me over great.

I'm going to be tired today.  I went to bed at 10, but ended up reading until almost 11.  Then woke up when the kids and husband went to bed at midnight (12yo had a sleepover - they usually don't get to stay up that late!).  Then again at 5 with a bad leg cramp.  Then up for good at 6.  Ugh!  And, I skipped yoga in favor of appliance shopping.  So, I'm not doing great on the self care this week.  I need to get on that.  Hopefully, I can work in a lunchtime walk today (been missing that, too) and get to bed on the early side.  Then a good yoga session tomorrow.  I'd go tonight but I really don't like the guy who teaches Thursday nights.  Maybe I'll get over myself and go anyway.  It might be good.  I'll see how tired I am this afternoon.  We're having some lovely weather right now. I need to make time to get outside to enjoy it.  Maybe I'll go for a walk tonight instead of forcing myself to go to yoga.  That's a better idea.

I had AB on my banana (leg cramp reaction) for breakfast this morning.  It was great!  I need to watch it though.  I'm ok with it occasionally as part of a meal.  Just don't want it to become the snack of choice again.

• Moderators

Great awareness, Jen! I say skip the yoga teacher you dislike and get outside! I've been thinking lately about how the three times in my life I lost weight without even trying we're when I moved to big cities and walked everywhere. Walking really is wonderful and real exercise. I have to keep reminding myself of this.

Also, cheers to some real sleep pronto!

NS 70 today!  And, NNB 1. :)  I need to watch the nut butters.  A week wasn't long enough to break the craving cycle, I guess.

I walked at lunch and after dinner last night.  It was good.  And slept almost enough.  Tonight will be yoga and hopefully good sleep.

Tomorrow, we're meeting my grandma for breakfast and then going to a family reunion for lunch.  I'll do the best I can and just avoid the sweets. 

Have a great weekend, all!

I did great this weekend.  NO sweets.  The dessert table at the reunion was SO tempting.  Ooey gooey brownies, chocolate chip blondies, strawberry shortcake, blueberry pie, etc.  All homemade.  But, I resisted and happily had some salad, veggies, smoked salmon and a few raspberries.  I never regret not eating something.  Breakfast with grandma was good, too.  Egg/Veg scramble with broccoli on the side instead of toast.  I failed at the NNB thing, though.  I'll keep trying. 

We ordered the appliances for our kitchen remodel.  Oh boy, are appliances expensive!!!!  We've been lucky so far to only have to replace a few and those one at a time and with good deals at the Sears outlet center.  But, this time not so much.  I'm getting good stuff, though, and I can't wait!  I'm also starting to think through how I'll survive 6-8 weeks without a kitchen.  I have to figure out how to make eggs and kale in the microwave. LOL  I wonder if a microwave steamer thingy would work?  Luckily, it will be fall and not too cold yet so we can grill a lot.  I just have to remember it will be worth it in the end.

Adding - I made these avocado stuffed burgers for dinner last night. Everyone, including both kids, loved them!

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/avocado-spicy-mayo-stuffed-burgers/

• Moderators

"I never regret not eating something." So true and so worth remembering.

Well done this weekend! I am thrilled for your new kitchen! Going without will certainly be a creative challenge, but between the grill, microwave, and crotchpot, you'll have it covered. You may need to branch out with your breakfast, though! A microwaved eggs-kale-swpot is not going to be the same animal. I've seen interesting recipes for breakfast casseroles and meat loaves in the crotchpot, though. . . .

Yay for new appliances and getting your kitchen remodel underway.  We bought all new appliances when we bought our current house, and I love how everything works together.  Plus I LOVE my 5 burner stove with a drawer that is an actual second oven (not just a warming drawer).

One thought for when you are without your kitchen for 6 weeks - the freezer.  If you make your eggs and kale into egg muffins or a crustless quiche, that would be easy to reheat in the microwave (that's what I do every day at work).  Grilling is great for lunches and dinners, but I wouldn't want to be dealing with that in the morning before work!   :o

So glad you had a great weekend and that you were able to avoid the sweets.  I also avoided my favorite chocolate cake and the cream cheese cupcakes I love at my son's bday party.  My son had one of each though!

AF is here.  And I got a cold sore. :(  So sad.  My main benefit is failing me.  I have no explanation for this one.  I haven't been eating sugar or anything else really that is new.  Maybe more fruit.  Maybe that's enough sugar to trigger it?  That would be sad.  Luckily, it's a small one, so it's not too noticable.  I just hate them so much! 

Other than that, I'm feeling good.  I avoided the sweets at the cub scout picnic last night.  I brought watermelon cupcakes, which were super cute and a hit.  I don't remember which website had the idea, but it was basically watermelon cut into cupcake shapes and put in cupcake liners then topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.  Super cute and healthier than regular cupcakes.

Super busy week.  10yo's (10!!!) birthday is today.  We also have a big soccer tournament for 12yo today.  So, last night I was up wrapping gifts and cleaning up from the scout picnic.  Tonight I will leave work early so we can do early presents and dinner and then go to the opening ceremony for the tournament and then friends are coming back to our house for a sleepover - so up late tonight.  Juggling work and soccer all week.  It should be pleasant weather, though, so that will help. 

• Moderators

So sorry about the cold sore. Chalk it up to non-diet related stress?

Happy birthday to your little one. Hope y'all have fun and that mama Jen gets some sleep despite the sleepover!

Jen, I get cold sores too but mine always seem to be brought on by weather (too much sun or too much cold and wind) and other illness or stress.  Are you sure yours are diet-related?  Do you take a pill for them?  I started doing that and they are gone almost as soon as they arrive.

Archived