Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Mine can come from stress or sun or a cold, but usually, they come with AF (every 3 wks, by the way - stinks!).  But, since starting W30 last April, I have gotten them just a handful of times - after a week of eating junk at the cabin, after a week of eating junk at Christmas, after a weekend of drinking WAY too much in Vegas and after mainlining sugar at Easter.  That's it.  4x in a year and after a sugar loaded off road.  Until last month and this month.  Very frustrating.  It could be stress.  I don't think I'm more stressed than normal, but I am busy, so it could be busy stress.  It could be sun.  I have been trying to get outside for more walks.  Who knows.  I really thought it was diet (I blamed sugar).  I'll just keep on and see, I guess. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remember that your diet can cause the same type of stress in the body that other factors can so all those incidents still could be the triggers. It might be overboard on sugar + holiday/vacation stress could be enough to do it. Right now it might be AF+sun+business. Unfortunately these answers are not always simple...in fact they rarely are. 

Happy Birthday to your little man! I hope the sleepover was fun and mamma still got her sleep.

Sorry about the cold sore.  Hopefully this will be the last for awhile!

Happy Birthday to your 10 year old!  I hope they had a blast at the sleepover, and that you were able to get some sleep.

I hear you on juggling, it is a struggle with work and swimming, especially with three meets this week.  But we've got this!

Thanks for the support, ladies!

I got to sleep by 11, which isn't too bad.  10yo loved his birthday - presents, dinner out with best friend fRamily, bored at the soccer ceremony, but enjoyed the sleepover afterwards.  It was all good.  At dinner, I ordered a salad with grilled chicken and avocado and sweet potato fries.  I ate all the fries.  They were good and I don't regret it at all!  ;)

The rest of the week should be pretty good.  I have a ton to do at work, but plan to do some working at home so I can easily hit a couple soccer games and not deal with traffic too much.  The weather looks to be perfect.  Very unusual for this week.  Usually, it's so miserably hot this week.  It looks like a perfect soccer week. :)  We're on the home stretch.  After this week, summer soccer is done.  Tryouts are next weekend and then I think we might get a whole month off before fall soccer starts. LOL 

So interesting about the cold sores Jen.  Every three weeks is awful!  I get them maybe 2-3 times a year and they seem to be associated with the weather/stress/sickness for me.  I haven't had one since I started eating paleo so maybe that is helping . . . who knows!

Not having to commute will definitely help, glad you have the ability to do that.  And wihoo for a happy 10yo!  :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy the time off from soccer, gives you a chance to do some other things (hello, yoga!).

• Moderators

Sweet potato fries YUM! Glad he had a good party and you got to sleep at a reasonable hour. Enjoy your month-long respite! (Whatever happened to that "talk" you and hubs needed to have about overscheduling those boys?)

I went the passive aggressive route. :ph34r:  The deadline passed for football and soccer and I just didn't sign him up.  If husband cared that much, he could have done it.  I think it will work out ok, though, because 10yo is willing to try karate.  I just need to look into it.  (See a pattern here?  Frustrating.  Though, I'm more than willing to do the organizing if it's something they want to do.  Just not for things they don't want to do.).  12yo will have to speak up when it comes time to start up scouts again.  I will support him, but he has to want to drop it enough to tell his dad.  We'll maybe do a family meeting about that one. 

I feel like it is good to have the kids doing something active, because I just don't think they get enough movement during the school day.  Obviously I think karate is a great choice, so let your son try it out, and if he likes it great, and if he doesn't he can move on to something else or back to soccer/football.  My son really likes that karate isn't a team.  I don't know why.  He gets other kid interaction, but he is responsible for himself.  Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to get him on a swim team for Fall/Winter.  I'm not sure if it is me pushing him or if he is really interested.  He says he really wants to do swim team next summer, but is balking at the Fall/Winter because it is with a different team.  He tends to get really stuck in a rut about things like not trying something new (like a new team) and I don't want that attitude to hold him back.  But I also don't want to push him to do something that is really just something I want him to do.  Aack!  (Oops, verbal diarrhea in your log!)

However, I do agree with you that if they are really interested in doing something, it shouldn't just be up to you to make it happen.

Very interesting.  I have certainly been eating a ton of it this summer.  I'll have to see if I can watch that video and get other ideas.  I have a huge book on nutritional healing that gave some ideas, but that didn't mention watermelon. 

Doing well.  Juggling work and soccer this week.  We're up super early this morning for a 7am game.  That's just mean to do to kids during the summer.  They'll all be half asleep.  If they win, they play again this afternoon.  If they lose, they are done.  I'd be ok with that.

The weekend looks to be low key as far as food events goes.  We have a family birthday party Sunday night, but I'm hosting, so I can make sure there is food I will want to eat and will just not eat the dessert.  Other than that, I should be able to just eat what I eat.  :)  I hope to get in some good yoga and walks, too.

Happy Monday.  NS80 today!  I did not make it all week without NB, but I only had it a couple times as part of a meal and didn't just eat bananas with NB for snacks because I felt like it.  That's good.

The weekend was good. 

12yo played 2 games Friday - won the am game and lost the pm game.  So, soccer is done for the year.  Well, for a month until fall soccer starts.  Tryouts are Sunday. 

The family birthday party was good.  I ate way too much fruit (and so am kind of blah feeling today) but I didn't eat the ice cream sundaes or cookies, so I'm happy.  The in laws stress me out and I tend to eat when stressed out, so avoiding the sweets and not grazing away the evening is a good thing.  10yo was happy with his party and his presents. 

I got in plenty of yoga and a couple walks.  It's going to be very hot this week, so it will be interesting to see if I can get myself to go to hot yoga or for walks.  Neither sounds good in this weather.  I may have to do morning walks.  Or hit the basement gym. 

I spent some time cleaning out my closet and have started a pile of clothes to give away - things that I don't wear, that are just a tiny bit too small, things that are worn.  I still have a ways to go, but it feels good to get a start.  I tried on a couple of my suits and they fit, but are pretty out of fashion.  I'm keeping them anyway, just in case I need them. 

I'm going to try to cut back on the fruit a bit this week and continue to watch the NB. 

I hope everyone has a good week!

• Moderators

I'm thinking early morning and evening outdoor exercise this week too. I welcome the heat, though!

Congrats on no sugar for 80 days, woot! And for a month off from soccer.

I'll bet it will be so much easier to stay away from the nut butter if every time you stick a spoon in it you think about cold sores. Ouch.

A soccer reprieve, yay!  Glad to hear the party went well.

Cleaning out the closet always feels so good.  Especially when you know that the things you are looking at actually fit and are in wearable shape.

Good luck getting exercise in the heat.

I went to yoga on what is, I think, the hottest day of the year so far.  Crazy me.  12yo was at a party, husband and 10yo were going to the archery store, so I figured why not.  It actually wasn't hot enough!  It was a pretty slow class so with that and not being very hot, it didn't feel like a great workout.  It's good for me, though, to not always be pushing.  I'm glad I went.  I'm going to try to take a lunchtime walk today and go to yoga again tonight.  I'm not sure about the rest of the week, so I want to get it in while I can. 

M - I need to watch that video so I can get some motivation to stay away from the nut butters!  I can't see it at work, so I have to try to remember to look at home.  I'm doing much better than I was, though.  And I didn't have any watermelon for breakfast.  Small wins, I guess.  :)

Good job getting in the exercise when you can.  That's what I've been trying to do, although I could have fit in a walk last night before my son's bedtime, instead of watching an episode of American Horror Story.   :rolleyes:

There is something to rich and indulgent about those nut butters...

• Moderators

Yay yoga! And you're right that it doesn't have to feel like a workout to be good for you.

Nut butters are evil, that's what I tell myself every day. They're my kryptonite. So much better without them as a dessert crutch. I still use them in recipes, though, like sesame cucumber noodles. But I can't remember the last time I ate it from the jar or smeared on a piece of fruit, my old trick.

I'm getting better with the nut butters.  I haven't just eaten it on a banana nearly as often as I used to.  I have had it as part of a meal, though.  I like it on sweet potatoes and on my eggs (I know, I'm weird).  It's a work in process. 

We had 12yo's end of year soccer team party last night at GreenMill.  I brought a can of tuna mixed with 1/2 an avocado and ate that with the salad.  Pizza is not a worth it food for me.  It worked fine. 

Then, I went to yoga.  Much better class than Monday night.  :)  Though, I apparently was the yoga nazi because I told 2 ladies who were chit chatting loudly that we're not supposed to talk in the studio.  I don't think they appreciated it.  It just annoyed me that they weren't even trying to be quiet when everyone else was laying quietly on their mats trying to relax.  I figured they didn't know and if nobody told them, they wouldn't know.  I felt bad about it, though.

We're going out to dinner tonight to a chinese buffet.  Can you imagine anything more horrid?  It's where 10yo really wanted to go for his birthday and I promised we'd find a night to go.  Well, tonight's the night because we'll be over that way for a showroom visit to pick fixtures for our remodel.  I'm not sure what I'll eat, but I'll figure it out.  I think they have one of those mongolian grill things, so maybe I'll do that - pick my meat and veg and have them cook it up.  Either way, I'll deal and make the best choices I can.  Shudder.  What we do for our kids.

Have a good day, everyone.

• Moderators

You absolutely did the right thing at yoga, and don't for a second feel bad about it. You'd probably be just as upset with yourself if you'd said nothing, right?

Pizza is not worth it for me either. Great solution! I would shudder at the thought of a Chinese buffet, too, but you've got a good plan. Those places usually have something of a salad bar, too. Maybe even some sashimi. Ugh. My body would swell with the mere proximity to so much soy and msg. . . .

Too funny, pizza is one of my definitely worth it things.  Love, love, love pizza.  We made homemade pizza over the weekend and I did have a couple of slices and I enjoyed it immensely.

Hope the Chinese goes well.  You need to convince your son that Thai is better than Chinese.  Even though I know there is some sugar in the Thai sauces, to me they are worth it on a night out.

You would not have enjoyed the class had you not said something to those ladies.  And I'm sure there was a lot of unspoken approval from those around you.  Shouldn't the instructor have taken care of it though?  Not that you shouldn't have, but the situation would have been less uncomfortable if the instructor handled it.

Thai is definitely worth it!  I wish we were going to my favorite Thai place instead!

Re yoga - the instructor was out in the lobby greeting people so didn't know they were yapping it up in the studio.  Next time, I'll probably go out and ask her to do it.  It'll be less uncomfortable, for sure! 

Archived