Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Last night was ok.  The grill wasn't on yet (we got there pretty early) so I just made do with the buffet.  It's not the worst buffet ever.  It's very popular so at least the food turns over quickly.  But, no buffet has actual good food.  The salad bar was mostly fruit and pudding :wacko:  but I managed to find some cucumber slices, daikon slaw and kimchi.  All good.  They had sushi rolls. So not good!  Didn't have any more.  From the main buffet, I had some green beans, chicken and broccoli, teriyaki chicken and salmon.  I'm sure I ingested plenty of soy, msg, gluten and dairy from the sauces, but I feel like I did ok with what was available.  My tummy wasn't particularily happy last night and isn't this morning, either.  But, it wasn't awful, either.  Just a little bloated and rumbly.  Hopefully, it will be a long time before we have to do that again!  For the record, 10yo ate mostly mussels, crawfish and a million mini cookies that I'm 100% sure were from Chips Ahoy or something.  He was in heaven.  Sigh.  The mussels and crawfish, at least, were probably ok.  Glad that's over!

On a more positive note, we picked all the fixtures for our remodel - faucets and sinks and stuff.  That was fun.  And we visited FIL in the hospital where he just had the first of his two knee replacement surgeries.  Good reminder to not let my husband end up in the same shape as his dad.  I told him as soon as he starts looking or feeling like his dad, I'm cutting off the toast and the ice cream. 

Goal today is plenty of water to flush all the nasties out! 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad  you made it through.  We have a picnic tonight, I may just not eat there.  We'll see.  Hope the water has your feeling better quickly.  And I'm glad your son enjoyed!

My Mom had both knees done years ago.  She should really get them re-done, but the doctor is hesistant to do it because of all her health issues - cardiac, diabetes, etc.   :(   I think it is much less than it used to be, but when my Mom had her knees done, it was MAJOR recovery.

• Moderators

Your description of the buffet and your son's dinner tickled me! Yes, let's hope you won't have to do that again for a long time. My BFF loves those places and goes at least once a week. I marvel at what he puts away in a sitting and that he doesn't fall over dead instantly. Going to such places reminds me how the other half lives and renews my commitment to w9. You'll recover quickly, no doubt!

Yay for new fixtures and mama bear Jen! No toast and ice cream for you! :)

If anything, my tummy is more bloated today.  Sigh.  It'll pass.  Lots of water and hopefully a good sleep tonight (up too early today due to a storm rolling in). 

The weekend has its normal share of challenges.  We're going to the county fair on Sunday night.  I think I'll just bring my own dinner.  If there is something there I can't live without, I'll make that choice at the time, but I'll plan ahead with good food so I don't end up having to eat something icky that I don't even really want.  It bugs my husband when I do that, but since it will also save money, he'll get over it. :) 

No yoga tonight.  So sad!  But, I should be able to go tomorrow and Sunday.  I'm crossing my fingers that the rain passes in time to go for a lunchtime walk today.  Otherwise, I can go for a walk tonight. 

• Moderators

Enjoy yoga and the fair! Fair food is rarely as good as you want it to be. My one exception is a corny dog at the Texas State Fair. That's on my list of worth-it major offroads. But anything else? Meh. I know you'll make good choices. Have a great weekend!

Happy Monday.  The fair was fine.  I ate my salad on the ferris wheel. LOL  I didn't eat anything else.  Yay me!  I have, however, been feeling a little off.  I need to stop eating so much fruit, I think, and stop the AB monster.  Work in progress.  It would be boring if I didn't have anything to work on, right?

We had big drama yesterday with 12yo - he tried out for a new soccer club because our club won't have enough kids for a team next year.  The new club cherry picked a few of our best kids and then put the rest on their bottom team.  He's not happy!  I barely slept last night fretting about it.  It's so hard to see your kids upset.  We'll all get over it and he'll have fun playing with his friends.  It just won't be particularily challenging for him. 

Hope all had a nice weekend.

I'm sorry about the drama with your son.  It is really hard to see your child upset, but there is something to be said about learning how to deal with adversity.  It sounds like the new club was not interested in trying to make the transition easy on your team.  Hopefully he finds the fun in it anyway.  Will he move to a high school team at some point or is it all club teams in your area?

Always things to work on!  Glad the fair was fine.

• Moderators

Great job at the fair! Eating salad on a Ferris wheel. Sounds like a euphemism. . . .

Ugh, competitive sports. I know they teach kids important life lessons, but ugh.

Oh dear, I hate those sorts of things with the kids. This morning I dropped my son at camp and a couple of the kids weren't letting him play. Ugh. Terrible, these things. 

I had to laugh at Lady M's line about salad on a Ferris Wheel. LOL. Totally does sound like a euphemism. For what I'm not sure. But bravo. Fairs for me = fried clams (my fair experiences were in ME, mostly the Clamfest where, like M's Texas corn dog, the fried clams are amazing), fries, fried ____ and something hideously sweet that makes you immediately feel ill. Fairs are so sweet though. I love the ones where 4H kids show off their animals. Makes me long for a life of bucolic old timey-ness. I always want to time summer visits to NH or ME with a fair but it never pans out. 

And the scariest thing about fair rides is how rickety they are! 

Anyway. Good luck with your eating goals. 

Hi!  Sorry to disappear.  I was at the cabin all week and somehow got logged out and couldn't remember how to log back in. :) 

We had a great time at the cabin.  The weather was fabulous.  Warm and sunny during the day, but cooled off at night so sleeping was good, too.  The boys had fun swimming and fishing.  I took a lot of long walks and read a lot of books. It was so nice to have a week without work, alarm clocks, makeup, dressing up, etc.  So nice!  It's hard to come back!

Last year over our cabin week, I gained 5 lbs that I never lost (I've VERY slowly been losing it this spring/summer, but still haven't gotten to my pre last year cabin weight).  This time, I stayed the same.  I am happy about that.  I had plenty of "treats" - corn on the cob (not quite ready yet :( ), cinnamon toast for breakfast, tortilla chips, too much guac, too much nutbutter, too much fruit, a couple glasses of wine, etc.  I had dessert once.  Our friend family came up for the 2nd weekend and the mom brought rice krispie bars.  I had one just because everyone else was and I didn't want to be weird (stupid reason, I know).  It wasn't worth it.  Anyway, that is my 3rd of 5 exceptions.  95 days with only 3 desserts is amazing for me.  I think the reason I didn't gain this time, despite the treats, is because I was very mindful about sticking to the template and to 3 meals and not grazing / snacking.  I had one piece of cinnamon toast with my eggs and kale for breakfast.  I had the tortilla chips or corn with dinner.  I think just not eating between meals and continuing to avoid sugar is the key for me to at least maintain.  And to just feel good.  In the past, by the end of a cabin trip, I'd feel very bloated and blah and icky from eating too much junk.  It's much better to feel good.  And I'm also happy to not be stressing about a few pounds.  I am happy to not gain any, but I'm also ok staying where I am.  I may never get to my "goal", but I can be ok with that.

My goal for this week is to cut down on fruit and nutbutter and just get back to eating what I eat without the "treats".

I hope everyone had a good week.  Hopefully, I can catch up! 

Glad you had a good trip and that you stuck to your resolved for the most part. I agree that 3 desserts in 95 days is amazing for anyone! I'll admit its been so hot here I've had more than one Popsicle in a day more than once.  :ph34r: Keep maintaining your weight and striding forward in strength and health and who knows where you'll end up. 

• Moderators

So glad you had a great time and that it was informative, too. That's pretty liberating to figure out how to maintain, isn't it? And yes, the template is powerful. I'm convinced it's the way forward. I know when I stray is when I get snacky and "off."

Happy you're back!

I ate tons of veggies yesterday, which is awesome, but ended up dipping zucchini in AB and had too much of that, too.  I really love fresh garden zucchini dipped in AB, but I can't stop at just a taste.  It's amazing how quickly something can become a habit and then a craving.  Nipping it int he bud today.  NO nutbutter for me. 

Yoga was wonderful.  I'm getting used to the hot again after a week off.  I can't go tonight or tomorrow night, so I'll try for a lunchtime walk instead.

Have a good day!

• Moderators

I have the same thing with nut butters, Jen, and it's just a habit to break. I can't remember the last time I dipped into a jar, and it's just because I got out of the habit, one day at a time. You can do it! And in the meantime, maybe play with some other dips (beside guac--I know that's a prob, too) to get you over the hump. Or better yet, eat less snacky hand-to-mouth things. Turn that crudités into salad.

Anyway, you're doing great. But thought I'd share what's worked for me in case there's something in it for you.

Ah, nut butter, your old foil!  We've been grilling our zucchini and it is just so darn buttery delicious.

I bought the stuff to make the avo/yogurt dip, now I just need the avocados to ripen.

Enjoy your lunchtime walk!

M - The snacky thing is the key.  I had TONS of veggies in my salad.  It was the old after dinner need a treat thing that I keep fighting.  I'm getting better, though.  I just need to remember not to start because then I don't have to try to stop! 

No walk yesterday.  Work was too busy. I will make time for it today.  I have icky stuff going on at work (hate managing people!) so a walk will be good for my sanity even if I don't technically have time.

I had to eat dinner at 5pm because of 10yo's party.  I was hungry at 830 when I got home and really wanted a banana with AB.  I resisted and had more chicken salad.  Go me!  The only reason I resisted was because I didn't want to come here today and "confess." :)  That is why I stick around!

The chicken salad was good.  I used leftover roast chicken, homemade mayo thinned with lemon juice and spices, and a ton of veggies and herbs from my box - celery, carrots, fennel, squash, scallions, kolrabi, basil, parsley, probably forgetting something.  I added some raisins and walnuts.  It was very crunchy and flavorful.  Yum!

Your chicken salad sounds wonderful!  My tuna/chicken salads always come out blah, I'm not doing something right.

Go you on resisting the AB!   :D

Hope your personnel issues resolve quickly.  I hate dealing with that stuff also.

• Moderators

Way to go, Jen! That's the way to break the snack habit: eat a mini template meal instead, which is exactly what your scrumptious chicken salad was. I can always tell when my snackiness is something other than true hunger when I offer myself a template minimeal but want a handful of fruit or nuts or even carrot sticks instead. Oh how far we've come, eh?

No NB again yesterday.  I got hungry (early dinner again) and didn't have an easy mini meal so I just had some celery sticks and a banana.  But, no NB! 

I made it out for a walk at lunch.  Our weather is glorious right now!  Not too hot or humid, but sunny and warm.  So nice!  I also got in a bike ride to the karate studio with 10yo.  I am planning on another lunchtime walk and yoga today. 

Busy weekend planned.  Tomorrow, I have a walk for coffee, a pedi and yoga planned with my friend.  :)  Then, the kids and I are driving to Duluth to see my parents.  We're having a little birthday for 10yo at my mom's tomorrow night and a big birthday at my dad's for his 60th on Sunday.  Then, I'm bringing my 9yo sister home with me for the week.  That's my gift to my dad - taking 9yo so he and his wife can go camping.  So, there will be some temptations.  I will just have to do my best.  No sugar/desserts for sure.  Even if whatever they have looks wonderful.  I just don't want to do it.  (at least that's my plan right now :) ).  I'll probably have some wine Sat night.  No alcohol Sunday as I'll be driving home with 3 kids and need all my wits about me!    Other than that, I'll just do my best to not graze and to stick to the template if I can. 

Archived