Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M - could be the canola oil.  I don't use it much at home, so I'm probably not used to it.  And, yes, it is funny about the meat.  I will probably never like it.  That's part of why I eat eggs for breakfast everyday and tuna for lunch.  I do like seafood.  I guess I like not feeling starving all day more than I don't like meat.

Sara - I use balsamic vinegar as flavoring.  It makes everything taste better!  And guacamole.  That helps, too. :) 

McJule - I really love the consistency and knowing what works.  Everytime I vary, I am reminded why I like to stick with the same meals.

Great yoga class last night!

I'm so tired, though.  I had to get up eary yesterday for a dentist appt and then early again today for an early meeting.  I'll make a point to get to bed early tonight. 

mcjule - I bring a big tupperware of greens and various veggies.  Then, I just empty the can of tuna into it, add 1/2 an avocado and kind of smush it together, add salt and pepper and balsamic.  Then, I eat it.  I've become too lazy to do anything more fancy than that.  :)

We're going to the fair tonight!  Which means, I'm having a bucket of cookies for dinner. :ph34r:   I'm not sure what else I'll have.  I won't graze my way through the fair or eat anything I don't really want, but I will eat as many cookies as I want and I won't feel guilty about it.

Unfortunately, I can't say I feel great.  I think lack of sleep, more than food, is impacting me.  I meant to get a good night last night, but a big storm woke me up way too early, so again, I'm tired.  My tummy then feels off.  My weight is up.  I'm sleepy.  I'm sure it would be better if I went home tonight, got an early night and calm eating.  But, the fair is once a year and the kids can't wait.  I won't change our plans.  There isn't another time we can go.  We'll have a great time and then I have 5 days until my trip to detox.  I'm planning on just eating calm, avoiding sugar and nut butters and snacks and trying to start of my trip feeling great.   

I just hope the morning storms go away and don't come back!  As it is, it's supposed to be steamy.  Not the best for the fair.  But, if all we do is get my cookies and see the pigs (for 10yo), we'll consider it fun.

Oh, and I found out yesterday that the kitchen remodel isn't the 6-8 weeks they originally told us, but now 10-12 weeks!  I really don't know if I'll survive with my sanity intact.  I am not a person who can live without a kitchen.  Ugh!  It better be worth it when it's done.

• Moderators

Get your cookies and love on those piggies! You will survive the kitchen remodel and come out the other side a kitchen ninja!

Enjoy the fair! I am so excited for your vacation. You certainly have earned it!

SO MANY COOKIES!  They were so good. I also had sweet potato fries, because I needed something real. LOL  I was then at the edge of ill so didn't eat anything else.  The boys enjoyed mini donuts, scotch eggs, cheese curds and ice cream.  Good thing it's only once a year!  10yo was SO excited to see AND PET baby pigs.  They were pretty cute.  It was a fun night. I actually don't feel bad today. I'm glad I didn't eat any more than I did.

Back to normal for me.  Eating will be calm and normal and I'll avoid snacks, nut butters and sugar.  I've had my 5 desserts now, so no more for me.  Today is day 112!  With only 5 desserts.  4 of which I'd choose again.  Not bad!

• Moderators

Love your NS challenge results, Jen!

I swear that problematic food doesn't have (as many) ill effects when you eat it joyfully and in a good frame of mind.

And yes, it's a good thing the fair is only once a year!

Thanks, ladies.  It's a work in progress, but I feel like it's definitely getting better.  You know, in all these days of NS, I didn't lose any weight.  But, I feel calmer around food and in general.  I take that as a win.  Now, if I can work on the nut butter thing, I may move that needle, too.  We'll see.  It may just not be worth it to me.  I'll figure that out after vacation. 

Well done Jen.

I am cutting out nuts, fruit, coconut and cocoa as I think this will budge the needle for me. It's taken me a long time to decide that its worth it to give it a go so I know exactly what you mean!

I intend to try ten lots of 10 days which will take me into summer. Cutting processed food isn't enough. I think I gained 10 pounds from the whole100 I did last year. My health improved lots though but its not where I wold like it to be yet.

Jen, yeah, it's interesting what moves the scale and what doesn't.  Cutting out gluten didn't really move the scale for me, which I was sure it would, but I feel tons better so overall it's a huge plus.  I also cut way back on my nuts/nut butters post-Whole 30 and that hasn't worked either!  I'm a bit stumped.

I'm thinking of cutting back my fat a bit . . . I am pretty generous with my coconut oil and butter.  I'm also pretty sure that workout out regularly would help, but I just don't have the ability to do that with small kids so I'm doing what I can.  

Still feeling the effects of the fair food.  Not regular.  Bloated.  Ick.  But, I'm sure I'll feel better if I can just get myself to behave until my trip.  Had banana/nutbutter last night when the kids were having sundaes.  It's better than a sundae, but wasn't necessary and isn't part of my plan.  Will do better today!  Heading to yoga shortly.  That always makes me feel better!  Have a great weekend!

As usual, I ace the class only to fail the final exam.  Sigh.  My heart's just not in it anymore, I guess. I had cake and ice cream on Saturday and cookies yesterday.  The plus side, though, is that unlike Easter when I went down in massive flames, I had one serving of cake and ice cream and then was done and had 2 cookies and didn't go back for more.  So, though it's not the clean week before vacation I was planning, it's much better than the end of my last W30.  And, 111 days with 5 desserts is not bad at all!  I will just do my best to reign it in until vacation (Wednesday!) and then plan to start a new challenge on 9/2.  114 days of no sugar between then and Christmas Eve with 5 worth it exceptions.  I think after a long weekend of indulging and drinking wine, I'll be ready for a new challenge. 

I hope everyone in the San Fran area is ok.  My trip is still on, but I have to admit to being a bit worried.  Earthquakes are not something we're used to in MN!

I slept awful last night.  I hate when that happens.  I read and folded laundry from about 2 to 4.  I'm tired now!  I will try to get a good night sleep tonight. I  need to start packing, too!

• Moderators

I say you did a great job, Jen! Sometimes you just need to let loose, and it sounds as if you contained it quite well.

Sorry you're not sleeping well, though. Sugar? Anticipation for your trip? Anxiety about back to school? All of the above? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Countdown to Wednesday!

• Moderators

Mcjule, I've heard people sometimes gain weight when they cut gluten bc all of a sudden they can absorb and assimilate the nutrients they're taking in.

I know I do better with less fat. Not 1990s less fat, but low end of the template less fat. Sometimes no added fat when I'm eating a fatty cut of meat.

No, I don't think it was the sugar.  I think it was arguing with husband about letting 12 yo quit scouts.  And husband snoring. LOL  We just don't agree on this issue and can't seem to find a compromise.  With 10yo, we found a sport (karate) that he's willing to try, so husband is ok with him dropping soccer.  We'll have to fight that one out again if he ends up not liking karate, but at least for now, that one is settled.  12 yo, though, we can't figure out.  We'll work it out eventually.  I just can't help fretting about it. 

Fretting is just a part of being a mother, although letting go what you can't change is good for your mental state.  I'm fretting over my son's teeth and my husband is just not concerned.  Ah well.

As for your NS, I think you did fantastic.  I think having the fair so close to your trip didn't help.  Almost a why be good when I know I'm indulging in 5 days, and those cookies still on the mind.  Just a thought.  Either way, you did a great job and have a wonderful plan for when you get back.

Get to packing, lady!

You're right, Sara.  The fair cookies got into my head and now I can't get myself to care about the next few days that much.  I'm not worried about it.  Just need to remember that feeling awful because I way overindulge isn't worth it on vacation. 

Packing!  On that tonight for sure.  I am now confident enough in the weather to start making decisions.  Fun!

Archived