Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Moderators

"Just need to remember that feeling awful because I way overindulge isn't worth it on vacation."

If you can take this to heart and put it into practice, it will all be more than worth it. I try to remind myself as often as possible that it's all learning....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stil falling apart and not following my own advice.  Very annoying.  Also annoying that cabbage, a very healthy food, makes me feel bloated.  So sad.  Planning a very calm eating day.  Mostly packed.  Leaving in the morning!  Wheeeeee!

I'm back!  I had such a nice time.  It was nice to be away from work and on vacation.  It was nice to spend time with my mom and friends.  We ate great food and plenty of sweets and wine.  We saw redwood trees, learned about vineyards and how wine is made, did some shopping, walked a lot, chatted a lot, laughed a lot.  It was perfect. 

Yesterday was all about laundry (the boys were camping while I was gone, so that was particularily nasty) and cooking and errands and getting ready for the week.  The kids are not so happy about school starting, but at least we are all ready. 

And, for me, today starts back on track.  Day 1 no desserts and no nutbutter outside of meal recipes.  The plan is go go straight through to New Years Eve.  121 days.  I'm going to give myself 5 exceptions like last time, plus Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas Day dinner (note to self - that is the main meal, NOT the whole day!!!).  I had thought of stopping at Christmas Eve, but I figure if I'm going to fall apart a week before the end, I'd rather that week be the week between Christmas and New Years rather than the week before that and continuing right on through.  After offroading my way through Sonoma, I feel ready to get back to my normal.

I've been thinking about you.  I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip, it sounds great!  I need to get back to wine country!

It sounds like you have a solid plan for the rest of the year.  I think I need to give the rest of the year some thought, once I get through my race on Sunday.  Thanks for the inspiration!

It was good to get back on track yesterday.  I was very hungry all day, though.  I think my body got used to the off roading - late breakfast, some grazing, foods I normally don't eat, later dinner, etc.  I powered through and made sure to have a sweet potato this morning.  Hoping that will make for a less hungry day. 

I spent much of my vacation kind of bloated and never really hungry.  I'm not sure if it was the wine, cheese and crackers (among other things), AF or all three (most likely).  But, I never felt awful, so that is good.  Just "off".  It's good to be back to eggs and kale. :)  On our way into Sonoma, we stopped at a fruit stand and bought the most delicious strawberries.  I also bought some zucchini there so I at least had some veggies for breakfast.  I ate it with peanut butter and hardboiled eggs.  And whatever muffin they had out that day. :)  For the rest of the meals, I had the most delicious, fresh tasting salads.  So good!  And cheese and crackers to soak up the wine tastings.  That was yummy but also kind of necessary.  And desserts every night. :ph34r:  We were celebrating birthdays, so we got a bunch of free desserts.  Can't pass that up!  All in all, I would say I didn't do horrible.  I off roaded, for sure, but didn't fall completely apart.  I had my fun, so I can get back on track happily.

First day of school went well.  The kids weren't happy about summer being over, but it all went smoothly.  Our schedule is now crazy busy after a brief lull in August.  Every single night.  Ugh!  We'll get used to it, I'm sure.  And I'm going to make husband do more of the planning/running as this is mostly his fault.  :P

Glad to hear you are enjoying being back on track.  All in all, it sounds like you made the most of a special time and enjoyed it, good for you!

Ha, as if my husband would do most of the running.  I guess it doesn't help that I work locally and he has a longer commute.  But still...  I shouldn't complain, he is doing karate tonight so I can run.

Don't get me wrong, I will still do most of the running!  I am just making him do more than I usually do.  He wants the kids to be over scheduled, he can help more.  We'll see how long that lasts.  :unsure:  He's as busy as they are in the evenings.  Last night, the kids didn't have anything, so we just stayed home.  Husband went to his meeting, but at least the kids and I could just stay home, do the little bit of homework they had, get the 10yo a bath and early bed, and make sure everyone was ready for today.  That calm-ness was worth skipping yoga.  Husband is out all evening again with two meetings.  I'll get 12 yo to soccer, run to Target and hopefully, have a not to stressful evening.  No yoga again, but I don't like the Thursday night teacher, so it's ok.  I'll go tomorrow.  Hopefully, the weather will allow me to walk at lunch today.  We're definitely not having a fall draught this year! 

We made cookies last night to celebrate school starting.  I didn't eat any and didn't even lick my fingers.  I thought about it, but reminded myself that wouldn't be NS so I resisted.  Yay!  I did dip a couple slices of zucchini in AB, though.  Still a work in progress, that. 

I jinxed myself yesterday, because as soon as I was done posting, my husband texted to let me know he had to stay late for a conference call.  So yes, heavy lifting of running will always be me.  But I will say that my husband is not the over-scheduler.  I just want to make sure my son is exposed to different things.  Being really prepared on the weekends is going to be essential for getting through the school weeks.  Things like the kahlua pork that makes lots of leftovers is going to be key, I think.  And also deciding that something easy to eat for my son is going to be necessary on Tuesdays if I want him to eat at all!

Great job not licking the spoon!  That is always a tough one, as my favorite part of most baking is eating whatever I'm making raw or straight out of the oven.  Your old nemesis!   :ph34r:

Happy Monday.

I don't like the new look of the forums.  I can't tell which posts I've read and which I haven't.  Very annoying.

I'm doing fine with NS, but still not really even trying to cut out the nutbutters.  I say I want to, but I don't do it, so I obviously don't want to enough.  Oh well.  I'm stressed out about packing up my house for the remodel and the fall/school/activity busy-ness.  I'm going to just give myself a break and go with it. 

I got my laundry room packed up and emptied out this weekend.  We have way too much stuff!  Seriously.  I am weeding out as I go, but it's amazing just how much STUFF we have and feel we need.  I think the kitchen and laundry room are the worst for that - lots of stuff in lots of cupboards.  I'm on schedule, though.  My plan was to do the laundry room this past weekend.  The kitchen (except the stuff we use daily) next weekend.  Then, we're out of town for a weekend.  Then, the last weekend in Sept will be moving all of the rest of the stuff - the food and other stuff we determine we need to move to the temporary kitchen in the basement.  Then, it's go-time.  I have several weeks, but with our busy evenings, I will have to do it on the weekends.  It better be worth it!

I got in three yoga sessions this weekend.  That was needed, both physically and mentally. 

I got a bunch of cooking and chopping done yesterday.  I made mayo with my new stick blender (mine broke).  It worked so well!  I love it already.  I also made dill yogurt sauce to put on salmon this week, chicken with olives, tomatoes, onions, artichokes, chicken salad with the leftover chicken and mayo for dinner tomorrow, zoodles for dinner tonight, a cucumber mint salad we had with steak on Sat night.  Lots of good fodd inspired by my CSA box.  It feels good to know I don't have to cook much this week.

Have a good week, everybody!

I don't like the new look of the forums.  I can't tell which posts I've read and which I haven't.  Very annoying.

I agree with this completely!

Great job getting so much done this past weekend.  Your plan sounds reasonable and sticking to the schedule will keep things sane as you lead up to your re-model.  And it will be worth it.

Glad you are giving yourself a break on the NB.  As you said, if you really wanted to give it up, you would.  That time will come.

I'm jealous of all the food prep you got done.  But my nap after my half was worth being a little behind this week.   ;)

Jen, I'm having the same problem with the new format!

You're doing the right thing with the nut butters -- that's how I felt about wine and non-gluten grains last week.  You need to be in a good place to tackle the hard stuff and stress is not a good place!

Also, I hear you on having too much stuff.  We moved over a year ago and still have boxes in our basement.  Obviously we do not need that stuff since we've been without it for a year!  It's so embarrassing!

I'm struggling.  I'm not dealing well with the transition to fall / school.  It's just so stressful.  We're too busy.  Husband is gone every night for some committee or commitment.  That leaves me to deal with kid activiites and homework.  10yo is fighting me every inch of the way on homework.  Something that should take 10 minutes takes an hour and ends up with me yelling, which I HATE!  I need to settle down and figure this out.  Even though my eating is "back on track" I'm not sleeping great and my digestion is off and my weight is up and it's bugging me.  I'm not getting in my yoga, either, because by the time I'm done fighting about homework and getting everyone where they need to be, I'm tired and don't feel like spending 2 hours driving to and from and class and husband is gone anyway so I need to get the kids to bed.

A few things we're working on: Husband gets that he's too busy and needs to step up and help more.  We're going to review the schedule every week so he doesn't just assume that if the calendar doesn't have green on it (his color) that he can make plans.  He needs to consider where the blue and red (the kids) need to be, too, and not assume I will do it all.  We'll see how that goes.  He's also considering giving in on karate and not making 10yo start a new sport.  While I think karate might be good for him, unless he gets into a good routine by October, when we planned to start, we may have to let it go.  10yo needs time for homework and sleep.  He's not giving in on 12yo's scouts, though.  But, at least I'm not doing anything with that.  He missed a troop meeting this week because husband didn't get it on the calendar.  Neither I nor 12yo were upset about that. LOL  We got 10yo's reminder chart out again and will work with him on remembering what he needs to do before and after school.  He has also been put on notice that there will be no playing, no technology and no dessert until homework/reading are done without fighting us on it.  Hopefully, the promise of a reward at the end will help.  I know we'll all get used to it again and get into a routine.  This transition is just tough.  We don't have anything planned tonight.  I even canceled yoga.  And I told husband he'd be in huge trouble if he planned anything.  The plan is a nice family dinner and then plenty of relaxed time for homework and all that stuff.  Then, tomorrow, it's back to the races.  Sigh.

Aack!  So sorry to hear the start of the school year is off to a bit of a rough start.  That being said, I think that is pretty much the norm.  Stricter schedules, factoring in homework, and tired kids can all lead to a headache.  A few comments:

• I'm sure your weight/digestion/sleep are all related to the stress.  Give it a couple more weeks and I think your body will start harmonizing again.
  • 10yo - I think getting him set up to do as much on his own as possible is the right way to go.  The best way to avoid fighting is to make his responsibilities as much his problem as possible.  And I know that electronics (screens in our house) are the key to our reward/punishment system.  I think your wait and see approach with karate makes sense.  October is still a ways away, but at least your husband is open to seeing how things go.
  • 12yo - glad you were able to push scouting on to your husband's plate
  • A weekly meeting with your husband sounds like it should clear up a lot of your stress.

I'm a week ahead of you on the back to school schedule, and things are finally starting to come together.  We are getting to know how his teacher operates.  We are working out his activities and how to fit life in around them.  My son is starting to be a little less tired on the new schedule (although this morning was awful!).  Figuring out how to fit in yoga may be huge for you (a little Jen time).  I had a panic moment yesterday.  I'm going away next week to visit my brother.  I realized I hadn't worked out with my husband/parents how we were handling my son while I was away.  Luckily everything worked out, but it is not like me to let that kind of thing go this late.

Jen, I so relate!  I was super frustrated this morning because my scale has been up the past week (like ABOVE where I started the Whole 30) and my eating hasn't been that bad but my sleeping has been terrible and my stress has been through the roof so I also think that's what is causing trouble for me.  We know our bodies don't do well with high stress and poor sleep!  I'm also having digestion issues even though my eating has been on track. Also related I think.

I'm having the opposite problem. I'm still recovering from my cold and not eating well and not doing much except getting though the days but my body seems to be coping better than it did when I put all that effort into trying hard to be extra healthy. I am sure it will catch up eventually but its never a straight forward process is it? I do think my body enjoyed the rest from fruit and nuts and coconut... Now I just need to get back on that wagon again...

Thanks for the support. 

Sarah - Good points.  And I'm glad to hear things are getting easier for you.  Maybe that means in a week, I'll be feeling better. 

McJule - Sorry you're in the same boat!

Juz - Yep, I gotta cut the nuts.  Sigh. 

Everybody stuck to the plan of no plans last night.  It was so nice.  Husband did homework and reading and spelling with 10yo before dinner.  We had a nice family dinner (dill yogrut sauce salmon was a hit) and then watched an episode of Star Trek.  And still got everyone to bed early.  It was lovely.  Then, I packed up one cupboard and used 4 boxes!  I think I'll need more.  I'm making good progress, though.  And, we decided that the temp kitchen will be in my workout area.  Which is a bummer because my equipment is now folded up and shoved in a corner.  But, it's a lighter, more defined, area of the basement and will be more pleasant than the other corner we had planned to use.  And, husband agreed to leave 12yo home for the first duck hunting / close up the cabin weekend.  So, 12yo is happy he won't miss his soccer game and I am happy to have a slave (I mean helper :) ) for the last weekend before demo to get the straggling stuff moved out.  So, for at least one night, I am feeling better.  Though, the body is still being a pain.  I need to get back to my normal non stressed self.  My boss called me teflon recently because I stay calm even when things are crazy and everyone else is going nuts.  I've lost that ability this week.  I need it back!

Tonight is busy with people coming and going, but I and 10yo don't have to do anything, so we should be able to do homework/reading/dinner/etc in a calm manner.  Husband is doing carpool for the math kids (12yo math at the university) and then going to a happy hour.  Another parent is doing the return carpool, so 12yo will get dropped off at home.  And his foot still hurts a bit from an injury last weekend, so we'll skip soccer practice.  All good for me!  I will monitor homework, make GF brownies for husband to bring to scout camp/training this weekend and maybe pack up another cupboard.  Helping make the brownies (and licking the bowl so I'm not tempted to do it) will be 10yo's reward for not fighting about homework.

Looking forward to the weekend! 

You sound calmer already.  I hope that means your stress level will start coming down.  You might be teflon on the outside, but no one is teflon on the inside!  I'm sure your calm exterior can exact the price of stress, digestion issues, and lack of sleep!

So glad you had a nice evening at home last night with the family.

Sara - You're right.  Just because I look calm on the outside, doesn't mean the stress isn't affecting me on the inside.  Good to remember.  I still want my zen back, though.

Juz - Special occasions are fun, but it is good to get back to normal!

Last night was good.  Others came and went, but 10yo and I got home and stayed home.  He gave me a hard time about homework, but I kept my cool and we got through it.  It was news to him that it's the law that he has to go to school and not just me being mean. LOL  I'm hoping we'll get into a routine and he'll stop fighting it so much.  We managed homework, reading, dinner, making brownies, bath and bed all by 815.  Not too bad!

I'm looking forward to the weekend.  I have yoga.  12yo has a couple soccer games.  Other than that, we will hang out and pack!  I found it amusing to listen to husband talking to a friend on the phone about "our" plan for packing and how "we" are working on getting stuffed moved.  His contribution has been picking up boxes.  Otherwise, he's never home!  Silly boy.

Archived