Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

I don't know how you heavy-schedulers do it! I guess my kids are smaller so the pain is spread out throughout the day. :)  But I always worry I should have my son enrolled in more sports. They all seem either a PITA to get into, to get to and/or really expensive--and I am not convinced my 6yo will maintain enough interest to make the $450 for soccer or $800 for basketball (!!) worth it. (I had him in a track class last fall and he spent half the time lying on the track, while I fumed on the sidelines trying my best to be supportive and empathetic.)

We have one inexpensive soccer option and the games are apparently always announced last minute--as in, day before or day of. That does not work for me. I am not going to go into my weekend with nebulous anxiety about soccer games. That said, there is so much pressure these days to "pick a sport" early, despite all evidence that it's not good for kids socially or even insofar as athletic ability is concerned, that I worry we are missing the chance. 

This fall my son has one art class and possibly a lego class and then we will do some one-on-one swimming lessons. He did group lessons all last winter and kind of learned how to swim but also had to be rescued by my fully clothed husband at our friend's pool last weekend. Thank goodness he'd taken his wallet and phone out of his pocket. I'd like to do tennis lessons, mostly because I always wished I was better at tennis.  :ph34r:

Also, on the husband front, mine maybe makes it home for bedtime twice a week. And he's traveling now to Montreal twice a week. I guess it balances out because I'm a SAHM and feel like that means I can never complain about childcare--but it's exhausting. I guess it's exhausting no matter how you slice it! 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your kids are young.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Let them go with their interests.  Do you have park n rec or something like that in NY?  Or community eduction?  That's where we did the little kid sports and it was usually $50 or so.  It was a good way to try things. 

I'm glad your son was ok after the pool incedent!  Scary!

You're in an exhausting stage.  It gets easier in many ways.  Less exhausting.  But, busier. 

My daughter's turning 14 this weekend and has 5 kids over for pizza, DVDs and a sleepover. She helped with all the shopping, cleaning and set up and I just have to leave them to it...... The work seemed interminable when they were younger but now I keep thinking only 4 more years and she will be an an independent adult :(.... My son is only one school year behind her too...

I'm glad you were able to have a night to focus on getting your son on schedule with school.  It isn't easy.  And I don't think over-scheduling a benefit to anyone.  My main concern was to try to get my son to try stuff before the commitment levels got too high.  By 8, everything seems to be minimum of 3 days a week.  It really is a commitment for the whole family.

We started bedtime last night at 7:15, after he got very little sleep at a sleepover.  It was a bit frantic, but worth it for him to get some extra sleep.

Hope the packing went well!

Happy Monday.  We had a good weekend.

Food was good and simple.  Lots of veggies.  I had dessert #1 yesterday.  We went to a frozen yogurt place.  I've never been to one and they've been all the rage for a while now.  So, I decided to try it.  The toppings were good, but the yogurt was meh.  I don't need to have it again.  I'm ok with making the choice to try it, though.  And, it seemed to have loosened some stuff up (TMI) with my digestion issues of late.  So, that is good. LOL

I packed up a ton of kitchen stuff.  I'm making really good progress.  And, though it's not necessary for the project, in the spirit of purging stuff, I had the boys clean out the basment toy cupboard and they have 2 huge garbage bags of stuff to get rid of!  I'm done packing for now, though, because we're having issues with our contractor suddenly saying the cost and time will be much more than the original bid.  Cross your fingers we can sort this out and not have to start over!

I slept great Fri and Sat night, though lousy last night.  I got to yoga 3 times and am making progress getting into pincha wihout cheating and putting my head on the ground to get up and then pushing up after.  I've gotten myself up with my head up 4x now, but, boy is it hard! 

Overall good.

We have a busy week, of course.  I'm going to try to just make it as simple as possible for me and 10yo and to make getting myself to yoga a priority.

So glad you got some yoga in and yay to making it a priority.

Ugh on the contractor issues.  How is it possible that as the job is supposed to start that it is suddenly more expensive and a longer timeframe.  That sort of thing brings out my cynical nature.  I hope it isn't doing the same to you and that you can find a compromise that will work out.  Starting over would be a bear.

Just googled pincha and Wow!  You can do that?  In any way at all.  That is totally awesome!

We're getting things worked out with the contractor.  It's so stressful, though.  They did a horrible job estimating the costs up front and then a horrible job communicating that.  Very frustrating.  It better be worth it!

10yo gave me a horrid time with homework Monday, but I kept my cool and we got through it.  He did much better yesterday.  I can only hope he'll figure out that it's a lot easier and faster to just do it rather than fight about it.  Husband has been out every night again this week with scouts, city council, cable commission, scouts again.  Next week, it's only two nights.  Sigh. 

No sweets.  I'm doing good on that, at least.  My sleep, weight and digestion are still on a roller coaster.  Very annoying, but I'm trying not to let it affect my mood.  I'm sure it's stress related.  I finally got a good night sleep last night.  I skipped yoga in favor of an early sleep.  That was a good choice.  I'll go tonight.  I wanted to go as often as possible this week because they're closed this weekend for a conference.  I wish I didn't really not like the classes on Thurs nights or I'd go tomorrow. 

The kitchen project is out of control and I am not handling it well.  My stress level is way high.  Yesterday was awful.  I spent much of it crying. I just hate feeling so out of control.  It doesn't help that AF will be here shortly, I have a small cold sore, my face is all flaky, I have a rash on my neck, weight and digestion are on a roller coaster, and so on.  Last night, I made the semi-healthy choice to eat too much zucchini dipped in AB and then go to yoga over what I really wanted which was a vat of cookie dough and a chick flick.  I guess that's something. 

I'm sure we'll get through this.  By Christmas, we'll be so happy to be in our new kitchen and this will just be a bad memory.  I just hope this is the worst of it.  I know the actual project will be rough, but I'm hoping we can just get into a simple routine and not stress too much.  We're done talking contracts, money, timing, thank goodness.  Husband had to step up and take that over, because I obviously was not capable of handling it successfully.  We're working with a husband / wife team and I think it was a mistake to let the two wives deal with it.  It got too emotional.  The guys need to just do it and I, at least, need to not think about or talk about it any more.  I HATE to prove stereotypes.  I'm normally a very rational, calm person.  I am also, however, extremely organized, data driven, analytical, controlled.  I run my complicated life through spreadsheets and lists.  I'm finding it hard to let go and just let these people run with something so big.  And when I asked for data/info or questioned things, the wife got upset over lack of trust.  At one point yesterday, the project was canceled.  The guys stepped in and now we're back on track.  I just have to stay out of the way and not think about it.  Ugh!  I really hate this.  It better be worth it.  Rationally, I know we can pay for it.  I know we can deal without a kitchen for 3 months.  I know it's just a blip.  I know it will make our house much more functional.  It will improve resale, but in the meantime, we'll be able to enjoy it for 20 years.  It's worth it.  It's just hard to let go and now that it's suddenly HERE, I'm freaking out. 

Feel free to ignore my rants.  I have a feeling there will be more to come this fall.  Feel free to not read them. :)

It looks like a beautiful day today.  I plan to take a nice long walk at lunch with my book on ipod and maybe again tonight.  That will help.

Rant away, Jen!  That sounds beyond stressful.  And I don't think you are proving any stereotypes other than it is hard for Type A personalities to let go, which isn't really a stereotype, but a definition!

A nice long walk on a beautiful day sounds like exactly what you need!  I think your mantra for the Fall needs to be, This will all be worth it!  :)

And I also had a run in with AB yesterday, and there wasn't even any redeeming zucchini, just a spoon... :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Honestly, it sounds like you're handling it wonderfully. I'm so sorry about the stress, but you're reining yourself in and making the best choices you can. Letting go of control is one of the hardest, and most necessary things we're here to learn. I'm convinced it's universal.

Sounds like we've all had our run ins with the almond butter lately! My co-op sells it in bulk, so I've decided I just need to buy the amount I need for a recipe if/when I want to do that. Sunbutter doesn't have the same effect on me. I could take it or leave it, so I can keep a jar of that on hand without problem. 

Thanks, everybody.  I did a lot of nutbutter grazing last night.  Sigh.  It's total comfort eating, which is not a habit I want to keep.  I am going to try to break the habit with no nutbutter, period, this weekend.  My zucchini is gone, which will help. :)

We're having a night out for our anniversary tomorrow.  I'll just make good choices, but will also enjoy myself and not worry about food or kitchens or homework or any of that stuff.  I need a night off from stress.  I'm aiming for skipping dessert, though, because I don't want to use another of my 5 in the first month.  I will, however have wine. :ph34r:

I hope everybody has a happy, healthy, calm weekend!

Jen, sounds good.  Nut butter is your comfort eating as candy is mine.  We can break away!  I need to just say "no" to it entirely instead of having it be an occasional thing because occasionally turns into regularly far too easily.

Enjoy your anniversary!  You deserve a night off!

We had a lovely weekend away.  The weather was perfect fall weather.  The leaves up there are in full bloom - so pretty.  The boys had fun with grandpa and we had a fabulous hotel suite overlooking Lake Superior (which is my happy place and so calming for me - just what I needed).  I feel recharged and ready to go (I'm sure that won't last long!). 

My dad's wife is a naturopath.  She gave me a relaxation pack with suggestions on how to cope with the stress of this project.  It included things I know I should do and am committing to work on - breathe work, meditation/visualization, happiness journal - plus some supplements, aromatherapy, etc.  I'm going to make a real effort to do it.  Starting with deep breathing several times a day.  I just need to remind myself to do it.  Maybe I'll program my phone to remind me.

Food was yummy but not so healthy.  I fell off the NS wagon.  I did skip dessert at the restaurant, but then they sent champagne and cookies to our room afterwards.  The champagne seemed like a great idea.  Then, after a couple glasses, the cookies seemed like a good idea, too.  Sigh.  The trail mix was just unnecessary but yummy.  Nuts and dried fruit = bloat, though.  AF didn't help matters.  I had nutbutter with breakfast (it was the only fat option - did the best I could there) and then a scone with lunch (that wasn't necessary at all! But it was good!)  Not all good choices, but, I was happy and I needed to not think about it, so I'm ok with it.  I decided to start over.  I have 101 days from today through the end of the year.  So, 101 days of no sweets except 3 worth it exceptions, plus Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas Day dinner.  No other sweets.  And not one piece of Halloween candy (I had issues with that last year - it is NOT worth it)  And, I'll keep working on that darn nut butter. 

One week to D day. (demo day)  I feel good about where I am with packing stuff up.  I got a few more boxes packed up on Sat morning before we headed out of town.  I've already had to dig through boxes to find something I needed several times.  Oh well.  I'll be working on clearing the rest out this week and the final push of everyday stuff on Sunday.  Husband has a honey-do list of things he needs to do to help.  His schedule isn't too bad this week so hopefully he can help some, but he'll be gone this weekend closing up the cabin so hopefully he'll do some stuff this week and not wait to do it all Sunday night.  So far, other than finding boxes, it's been all me, which is kind of annoying, but in reality, probably better because then I know where everything is. 

Here's to a calm week!

Calm week to you!

Sounds like an amazing weekend, good for you.  So important to reconnect with your spouse, especially with everything you have going on.

My eating was also way off this weekend.  I'm trying to just get back to normal eating.  I'm considering skipping wine for the week, but then with my hectic schedule, I'm worried about backlash if I "forbid" it to myself.

I think at this point, just getting the project under way will be a really good thing.

Yesterday was another calm day and got to yoga.  10yo didn't give me too hard a time.  He started to, but got over it.  Maybe, just maybe, we're getting into a routine.

Thanks to Craigslist, I sold the ancient vitamix that I inherited from my grandma, which I never used because it's too bulky, and bought myself a Ninja crockpot instead.  Unlike my regular crockpot, it has a stovetop and oven setting, so I can use that to brown meat and maybe do my eggs and kale (!!!!) and all kinds of other stuff.  Between that and the convection microwave, I should be pretty well set up to cook during the remodel.  I'm going to keep it simple, but it is nice to have some options.  The crockpot came with a big book of recipes that I can't wait to try.  We may not eat so horribly, after all. LOL  I think I could even boil water for kombucha tea in it.  But, I am going to go ahead with my original plan to stockpile as much as I can and put scoby in a hotel for the duration.  I'll bring her out when we're done. 

I packed up another couple cupboards last night.  I'm making good progress.  Everything I'm packing now is stuff I use often, so I'm just stacking the boxes and bins in the dining room and will take them downstairs on Sunday.  Husband has his honey-do list.  He just called asking where we keep the packing tape, so I'm hopeful that maybe he's working on it. 

Tonight, I'm going to early yoga and husband gets to deal with homework!  Yay!  Then, tomorrow night, we have not activities.

You sounds very calm!  Yay on your son maybe getting into a routine and finding some temporary kitchen solutions.  

I'm super jealous of your "stovetop to crockpot" crockpot!  I hate that I have to brown meat in one pan and then dirty the crockpot.  Sort of ruins the whole one dish idea of the crockpot.  And I have yet to get a food processor (although it is on my amazon wishlist, so maybe Christmas?), althought I don't want anything huge, I just really want to be able to make cauliflower rice.

Enjoy your night of yoga and no homework!  (I have to remember to say an extra special thank you to my Mom.  Last night was the first time this year that I've done homework with my son (and maybe 2 times total last year) and it was painful.  It didn't help that it was 8:30 at night, but I was having to mentally restrain myself from making threats I didn't really mean.  In my mind he was going to bed at 6pm tonight and never using electronics again!   :lol: )

I'll let you know if I think the Ninja is worth it.

I definitely think a food processor is worth it!  I love my Cuisinart.  I use it to make cauli rice, hm coconut butter, hm laundry soap (clean it well after of course!), shred cheese or veggies when I have a lot to do, etc.  It's awesome!

Yep, I've made those threats in my head and outloud! LOL

Oh, I never thought of shredded cheese!  I hate buying the processed junk that is pre-shredded.  But using a grater is rarely something I make time for, more ideas are making me want it even more!  If I get one, you'll have to give me your laundry soap recipe, although that might knock my SIL right into a coma!  Ha!

This is the one I put on my wish list, any thoughts: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S9EM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RY8X7P9PPK3V&coliid=I39TE6DLUJXLFZ

Definitely give us a ninja review once you've used it awhile.  It will definitely be getting a trial by fire with your kitchen reno!

Archived