Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I never thought of shredded cheese!  I hate buying the processed junk that is pre-shredded.  But using a grater is rarely something I make time for, more ideas are making me want it even more!  If I get one, you'll have to give me your laundry soap recipe, although that might knock my SIL right into a coma!  Ha!

This is the one I put on my wish list, any thoughts: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S9EM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RY8X7P9PPK3V&coliid=I39TE6DLUJXLFZ

Definitely give us a ninja review once you've used it awhile.  It will definitely be getting a trial by fire with your kitchen reno!

That's the one I want when mine bites it. I like the wider feeding tube. I use my food processor all the stinking time. The thing I really like about mine that this one doesn't have is it has a smaller bowl that sits on top for when I want to do something small like dice an onion or make a batch of pesto.

I heard a quote today that I LOVE and have to share.

“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining.”

I love that.  I need to be the lighthouse more often and not try to be all things to all people and take it all on me. 

• Moderators

I have a hard time imagining how anyone could do a w30 without a food processor! Though the stick blender does most of the work for me these days, I still use my cuisinart for bulk chopping for ferments, cauli rice, and pate.

Love that quote, Jen!

It's crunch time.  Monday is D day.  We're having a very casual garage sale tomorrow (Everything goes out and nothing comes back in and not worrying about tagging everything - I'll just wing it) and then Sunday we'll be moving all the stragglers out of the kitchen/laundry/bath.  EEEEK!  It's here.  Scary.  I think I'll be much less stressed once it's actually started and we can get into a new routine instead of worrying about it. 

Eating plan is easy food, no sweets, calm.  There may be wine Sat night.  :)..

My neck has been kind of sore since Tuesday.  I'm not sure if I did something to it in yoga or just slept on it wrong or what.  I'm debating whether to go to yoga, but take it very easy (skip shoulder stand, etc) or stay away longer.  Any advice?

• Moderators

That sounds like the way to go with a garage sale. I hope it goes well!

If I had a sore neck that was making me question whether or not to go to yoga I'd see the chiropractor. But I don't think you need to fear yoga. Maybe talk to the instructor ahead of time and s/he can offer modifications when necessary.

Good luck with everything!

Good luck getting it all done! It's funny every time you talk about this remodel I'm picturing you in our old house in Long Island where I lived through a kitchen remodel as a child (I was maybe the age of your oldest son?). I remember eating lots of take out in the dining room and I'm just getting these vivid pictures in my head. Pretty trippy considering it's been 23 years since we moved out of that house.

I second seeing a chiropractor or massage therapist for your neck.

It's D day!  Half of my house is empty and the other half is full of boxes.  Sigh.  At least it's starting and we can get into a routine and start the countdown.  11 weeks to go.  I put all the fridge food in coolers and got out of the way.  Hopefully, they can move the fridge to the basement first and then husband can put the food away.

I had a very casual garage sale on Saturday, sold all the big stuff I wanted to get rid of and then boxed and bagged the rest up for donation.  None of it came back into my house!  Yay!

I only went to yoga once.  Between the garage sale, soccer games and moving stuff, I just didn't feel like I had time to go.  I'm ok with that.  My neck is back to normal, too, so I plan to get in a few sessions this week now that the big move is done.

I did ok with food over the weekend, but was pretty liberal with the nut butters.  I figure whatever I needed to get through, right?  I also split a $60 bottle of wine from our trip with my friend Sat night. :ph34r:

Then, after said bottle of wine, I woke up at 130AM (all alone, by the way.  Husband was at the cabin bringing in the dock and kids were at friend's), went downstairs to get some water, and saw a person in my front yard.  I was FREAKED OUT!  I grabbed the phone to call the police, but then realized it was a woman with a big bag and she was leaving.  I sat by the window in the dark clutching the phone for quite a while making sure there was no more movement out there.  Our theory is that she was scoping out the as yet empty construction dumpster.  But, the adrenaline and fear then kept me from sleeping the rest of the night.  So, I spent yesterday moving boxes all day long on 3 hours of sleep.  Not great!  I slept much better last night.  My neighbor was joking that we should booby trap the dumpster to keep our other neighbor from putting stuff in, but now I want to booby trap it to keep people out!  Or, to put up a big sign that says "if you dumpster dive at night you will freak us out and we will call the police.  if you want something, please just ring the doorbell during the daylight hours and ask".  I mean, really!

So, new normal starts today.  I didn't bother to make my eggs and kale this morning.  I'll figure out how to do that soon.  I'm set for this week, pretty much.  My lunch salads are all in the work fridge.  I have leftover pizza and a newly made salmon salad for dinners this week.  I spent a bunch of time yesterday chopping and roasting and mixing and all that so I wouldn't have to do much in the new basement kitchen.  It'll hopefully let me ease in. 

I hope I stay sane!

You will stay sane!   :)

Seeing someone on my front lawn at 1:30 in the morning would have freaked me out for sure!  I'm not surprised you couldn't get back to sleep, especially home alone.

Congrats on the successful garage sale.

It does sound like you are well prepped for the coming week, which will definitely ease you into the transition.  It will be stressful, but you have a good plan and you can do this!  And if you have to rely on eating out a bit, then that is what you will have to do.  You will make it work.

I made eggs and kale in my Ninja!  Woohoo!  And it was good.  I will survive this after all. LOL 

It's a major pain to have no water in my kitchen, but it's not that far away so I just have to deal.  Other than that, it won't be too bad.  They built me some lovely plywood counters so I have plenty of space to work with.  That helps a ton! 

All of the kitchen counters and appliancs and fixtures are gone.  They are working on the walls.  It's crazy.  No going back now. 

So far so good.  Eggs and kale in the Ninja works great.  So happy abuot that.  I'm on NS10 this round and my wieght is back to where it was before the CA trip / anniversary weekend / super stressed early weeks of Sept.  Happy about that.  I have to admit I'm hoping maybe to lose a couple more while doing NS and trying to eat simply during the project.  I just have to watch the comfort NB eating.  But, my clothes fit, so even if I just stay the same, I'm fine. 

I fell on my face when trying to do pincha on 3 hrs sleep Sunday.  That was probably not the best idea.  It wasn't a bad fall at all, but I have a little cut on my nose from a fingernail, probably.  Now, I'm a little gun shy.  I tried it last night, but couldn't get myself to try hard enough to actually do it.  I'll keep at it.  Now that the packing / moving is done, I'm hoping to make a lot of yoga classes!

• Moderators

When I think back to the stretches of time in my life when I felt the happiest and best, they often coincide with times when I was taking unlimited yoga classes. It makes a HUGE difference, imho. Maybe as significant as getting your eggs and kale for brekkie, Jen! Good for you!

Sometimes being forced to problem solve and find our balance in extreme circumstances turn out to be really good for us. I hope that's the case for you now.

Things are running smoothly now that we're getting into a new routine.  It's annoying to have stuff everywhere.  I really don't like clutter.  But, I am just accepting it as part of this process.  Same with the construction dust being everywhere.  It's crazy to see all the walls down in that half of the house.  Kind of makes me sad that we're putting up new ones.  It's so big and open!  But, I suppose walls around the bathroom would be a good thing. LOL 

Made grilled cheese and duck breasts on the Griddler last night.  Worked great.  Who needs a stove! :P

Weekend should be good.  Boys all running in and out to various activities, but all I have to do is manage the chaos and go to yoga.  And errands and chores, of course.  But, no big committments.  I will have to process my CSA box in my new space.  That will be kind of annoying, but it'll be ok.  I'm certainly not going to let them go to waste.  I have plans to put half in a big crock of thai chicken soup and the other half in a big crock of cabbage/potatoes/sausages.  Hopefully, making enough for lots of leftovers!

Have a great weekend, all!  And, thanks for letting me rant and vent. :)

Archived