Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Oh, I can relate!!!  You sound like you're in good shape for tomorrow.  I wish you lots of motivating thoughts - like testing to see if you're really hungry by picturing steamed fish and broccoli.  Hmmm - smiling - that worked for me before, but I don't know if it would work in my current state.  Good luck!  I hope to follow suit.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jen, I'm so sorry you had a rough go of it for a little while. You haven't undone anything you learned, just getting to practice. I think we keep building on our foundation. You have s o many A days. I've been following you through the daily emails.

I'm leaving on vacation today. I'll see how much I've learned! :)

Thanks for the support!  I am hoping I can get back into the W30 mode and break the bad habits that snuck up on me. 

I couldn't fall asleep last night.  I got home from BP/BF at 9:30, showered and was in bed by 10.  I read for a bit and then turned out the light at 10:30.  At 11:30, I was still wide awake and my tummy was growling.  I got up, had a banana  and read for an hour.  I think I fell asleep after 12:30 sometime.  It was hard to get up this morning!  So tired!

Plan for today:

M1 - kale salad, hb eggs, sw pot w/ SB, CM coffee

M2 - squash soup, chicken sausage, carrots/celery

M3 - braut, salad, watermelon, banana, AB

Did ok yesterday.  The banana/AB maybe wasn't the best choice to add to my dinner, but my dinner ended up being kind of light and I wanted to avoid the need to snack later and I had bananas close to getting brown.  And I just wanted it.  I was too full after dinner, but by bedtime, I was just barely feeling hungry, which meant that I wasn't too full to sleep but also wasn't too hungry to sleep.  So, I just went to bed and slept great.  Still tired, though.  I need to get to bed a little earlier to catch up. 

Plan for Day 3:

M1 - kale salad, hb eggs, sw pot w/ CB, CM coffee

M2 - squash soup, chicken sausage, carrots

M3 - salmon, cauliflower tabbouleh, salad

A coworker had homemade cookies yesterday.  I really wanted one, but I did not. 

I was very hungry in the afternoon but managed to hold out until my late dinner by eating a few green beans from the farmers market and drinking kombucha.  Better than a larabar.

My FIL is bringing by fresh sweet corn that he grew himself for the first time.  Since I'm not doing a real W30 and don't think I have any reaction to corn, I am going to try some.  I'm ok with that.

Plan for Day 4:

M1 - kale salad, hb eggs, sw pot w/ CB, CM coffee

M2 - squash soup, chicken sausage, carrots/cucumber

snack - larabar.  I don't get how the exact same lunch that held me over just fine on Monday and Tuesday could leave me starving on Wednesday and Thursday.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the option to leave early and find a farmer's market today. :)

M3 - beef taco meat, guac, salad, corn

Holding out on a homemade cookie is pretty impressive.  It's worth it though.    What do you eat with your kale salad?  I thought we'd eat lots of salads once we started whole30 the first time, but we rarely have them.

I still eat tons of salad.  It's probably my favorite food.  :)

EandK - kale salad is just kale massaged with a glug of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt until it's wilty.  This week's had celery leaves and collards in it, too.  I usually just break up my hb eggs over the top and sprinkle it with pepper and eat it that way.  In the past, I've added balsamic and things like dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds or anything else you like on a salad.  The thing I like best about it is that it keeps well.  I can make a huge batch (2 bags of Trader Joe's kale) on Sunday and eat it for breakfast every day and it's just as good as the first day.  Tough to do that with regular lettuce salads.

Okay!  I just put two types of kale in my csa box to arrive next week.  I'll give it a go.  I once tried kale chips and didn't really like them.  I once made kale in lasagna, but that's out now.  We have fallen into some eating routines and I need to keep trying new things.

EandK - I hope you like the salad.  It's my favorite way to make kale.  I didn't really like the kale chips, either. 

Super busy day and I didn't even go to work!  I took the day off and spent the day shuttling kids around to get pre-school haircuts and dr appts and playdates.  I also went to BP.  The Y is a totally different place on weekday mornings!  Lots of people just hanging out like it's a community center.  There were even a few people playing music in the lobby.  It was kind of cool to see a different view of it.  I also cancelled my membership, so i only have 2 wks left.  I just don't see how I'd find time to go with school and kid activities starting up again and it will be even harder to get myself there when it's dark and cold and I have my own workout equipment in the basement. 

I successfully resisted the popcorn I made for the kids.  I make epic popcorn and the kids always beg for it when they have friends sleep over.  I couldn't say no.  I consoled myself with a banana and almond butter.  I'm not sure why it's ok to eat corn on my W30ishthing but not popcorn, but it's different.  So, I'm happy to say I didn't eat one kernal!

Day 5:

M1 - kale salad, hb eggs, CB sw pot, CM coffee

M2 - taco meat, plantain tostada, guac, salad

M3 - corn chowder, bacon, salad - not the best choice for W30ish, but delicious and fresh sweetcorn is very fleeting in MN so I'm ok with it.

snack - AB banana

Wonder how early I can convince the kids to go to bed!

Good day today.  I took a 4.5 mile walk with my friend to get coffee and then a 12 mile bike ride with the boys and my mom and stepdad, who came down from Duluth to see me for my birthday (which is Sunday), lunch out and then the friend and her boys (my boys' bff's) came over for dinner.  It was busy, but great.

Day 6:

M1 - fried eggs, sauteed kale, carrots, sw pot w/ CB, CM coffee

M2 - salad with chicken, bacon, avocado, hb eggs, veg, sw pot fries

M3 - corn chowder, smoked salmon, huge salad, glass of wine (to celebrate my birthday with my friend - ok with that!  I took the cake the lunch restaurant gave me home and let the 4 boys split it, so that is good.)

Tomorrow is my birthday and the state fair.  I will not be W30 anything! But, I will start right back up on Monday.  And, I will do my best to enjoy every bite of what I eat tomorrow and to not eat anyting I don't completely enjoy.  That includes the fourth or fifth bite of something.  Once it isn't totally delicious, I am done.  I will try to pay attention to that.  Other than that, I will eat whatever I want.  The MN State Fair is a big deal and a tradition for our family.  We've gone every year since the kids were born.  They love it - the food, of course, and the rides, but also the animals and all of the cool things to see.  And the people watching is good, too.  Kind of scary at times! :)

So, Day 7 plan: everything non W30, as long as it's worth it! :ph34r:

:) Huge Happy Birthday to you.

I think eating at the fair is a wonderful thing to do.  We ate at a music festival and it was a nice treat and we ended up not eating as badly as I envisioned we would.

Enjoy the fair and your family and hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  The fair Sunday was super fun.  We ate basically the opposite of W30 - grazed all day, no meals, not much protein, no heathy fat, tons of sugar.  But, it's once a year and worth it.  The food is a big part of the day, but we also visited the midway for rides and games, took the skyride, people watched, and a ton of other stuff.  It was a fun day.

Even so, I was happy to get up yesterday and have kale. :)  I ended Sunday feeling overstuffed and blah.  I slept horribly for some reason Saturday night, so I started off Sunday tired.  Then, added tons of sugar to the mix and had a pretty big mid afternoon slump.  And, got another cold sore.  That could have been from being outside all day (although I tried to keep putting on sunscreen), could be from AF starting, could be from the sugar, could be all of the above.  It was fun, but it's good to get back to healthy habits.

Kids are off to school today. I'm sad summer is over. It was a good summer and I'm not ready to be back to being super busy with activities and homework.  Blech!  My 9yo was super excited to get back to school and see his friends and meet his teacher.  It's fun to see the younger kids still get excited about school.  The 11yo was not excited to go back.  I'm sure part of it is being a little nervous about going to Middle School. 

Day 1 (yesterday):

M1: fried eggs, sauteed kale, CB sw pot, CM coffee

M2: salad with salami, cashews, figs, carrots, spinach

M3: ribs, cabbage, cauliflower, salad w/ cucumber, tomato, squash, avocado

Day 2 plan:

M1: fried eggs, kale salad, CB sw pot, CM coffee

M2: tuna salad w/ carrots and cucumbers

M3: chicken, green beans sauteed in CO, veg, avocado

It's freezing in here!  I'm going to make some tea.

Sounds like a wonderful weekend.  Isn't it nice knowing that your home is a place of good eating.  Mine sure wasn't before, but feels that way now.  Also nice to be able to know you had a good summer - makes for good memories.  Sorry it ended a bit too soon.  The start of school is such a fun time.  I love the new backpacks and notebooks and school clothes.  Enjoy your day!

I felt very munchy yesterday afternoon.  It is hard to work at home for that reason.  It's easier for every other reason.  I even wandered around opening cupboards.  But, I did not have a snack.  I kept telling myself that dinner was coming soon and I could wait.  We ate pretty early, anyway, so we could get to soccer practice for both kids.  I walked with a couple of other moms while the kids practiced.  It was much warmer outside than it was in my house, but it was still lovely and not hot.  I am kind of glad the super hot is done even if I do miss summer already.  We're back to busy busy busy trying to fit in dinner, homework, reading, baths, along with evening activities.  Just have to get us all back into the swing of things.

Day 3 plan:

M1: hb eggs, kale salad, SB sw pot, CM coffee

M2: tuna salad w/ carrots and cucumbers, plantain chips

M3: big salad of some sort

I hate that cabinet opening munchy feeling. Good job avoiding the snacks! A couple of weeks of the new routine and you'll be back in the swing of things. I'm feeling bittersweet about the end of the summer. I do like the cooler weather and it doesn't usually get super cold here. But on the flip side I know the dark dark rainy months are coming. I moved to Seattle after spending a summer here. I was not really prepared for how dark and dreary the winter months are and even after 14 years they still get to me. I don't miss the constant snow of a New Hampshire/Upstate NY winter...but I do miss the sunshine.

Sounds nice out walking with other parents.  Those munch monsters are a drag.  I'm always thankful that anything I do much is relatively within the healthy parameters AND that we have no medjool dates in the house.

I hear my kids waking up.  On to the rest of the day.  Hope you have a good big delicious dinner!

I was stuck in a meeting all day today.  It was freezing in there, which was probably good because it was the only thing that kept me awake.  They brought in sandwiches and cookies for lunch.  I had special ordered my lunch, but it wasn't enough so I had a larabar to hold me over to dinner.  Now, I need to wake up enough to be semi productive until I can go home.  zzzzzzz

Day 4 Plan:

M1: hb eggs, kale salad, AB sw pot, CM coffee

M2: salad with chicken, hb egg, veg

snack: larabar

M3: burger, guac, salad/veg

Super congrats on the larabar choice and good luck getting through the day.   Some days are tough that way!  Oh hey - we get our two types of kale this evening off the plane.  I'm excited to try the kale salad.  I told my husband we had to actively use our kale right away and told him your directions.  He looked like a nonbeliever, but we're going to try it out.

EandK - I hope you like the kale salad.  My husband and kids aren't huge fans, but I love it.  When I'm not W30'ing, I love it with roasted beets and goat cheese and TJ's cinnamon almonds.  Yum!  For breakfast, it's super with lemon pepper and hb eggs.  For some reason the crumbled egg yolk goes really well with the kale salad.  Enjoy!

Today will be a busy work day.  I'm hoping to get out a bit early to stop for groceries on my way home.  I'm also debating whether or not to go to BP.  My neighbor is having a party and it might be too hectic to fit in BP.  On the other hand, if the family is ok eating without me and going over whenever they want, I can go to BP and just go to the party later.  That might help my motivation to avoid the snacks and drinks.  Hmmmm.  I'll figure it out based on how I feel, I guess.

Plan for day 5:

M1 - same as every day

M2 - tuna salad, plantain chips, veg

M3 - salad w/ burger, plantain tostada, guac

party - kombucha!

Archived