Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not go to BP.  I ended up working a bit later than planned and, though I could have made it if I'd rushed, I was happier being more relaxed and skipping it.  I made it through the party with no drinks or desserts.  I had a banana with almond butter to celebrate when I got home (I was hungry).

Yesterday, I took a long walk with a friend, ran errands, watched a soccer game, got a pedicure and then went to the friend's for a birthday bonfire.  The soccer game was right during my lunch time, so I split my lunch into two parts and had part super early and part late.  It worked.  The 9yo birthday boy is my 9yo's bff.  Bonfires with that family (we call them our fRamily - friend family) usually involve wine and s'mores.  I had decided (since I'm not really doing a W30) to have 1 drink and no s'more.  I ended up holding someone's s'more that nobody wanted and it looked gooey and delicious so I ate it.  I did not have the drink.  So, I'm ok with that.  It wasn't W30, but it was worth it and I only had one and didn't have the planned glass of wine.  And, as a plus, one s'more doesn't affect my sleep like one glass of wine does.  Back to W30ish today.

Day 6:

M1 - tuna salad, veg, plantain chips, CM coffee

M2.1 - kale salad, hb eggs

M2.2 - CB sw pot, hb egg

M3 - salmon, caul pilaf w/ olives, salad

snack - s'more

Day 7 plan:

M1 - fried eggs, zucc with AB, CB sw pot, CM coffee

M2 - chicken veg thai curry

M3 - salad w/ ground beef, guac

I ate too much for breakfast.  It wasn't really more than I usually eat except I had AB and CB.  It didn't sit well and I don't feel the best.  I should have not had both, but I love AB on zucchini and I love CB on sw pots.  Oh well.  I'll feel fine soon. 

I made another batch of CB yesterday.  I can't get it as smooth as the stuff you buy in the jar, but for less than 1/2 the price, it's worth it.  Plus, while I still like it, I don't like it quite as much so I'm less likely to overdo it. 

Just finished a Jillian dvd.  My Y membership is ending on the 15th, but I can feel myself pulling away already.  It just didn't seem worth driving up there and back when I have a gym area in my basement.  I don't work as hard at home, though.  I need to focus on the workout and not on the spots on the wall that needed retouching (I did that as soon as the dvd was done)! LOL

Today is lunch with grandma, Trader Joe's and then getting ready for the week - laundry, cookup, etc.  Oh, and another soccer game to watch.  It isn't as hot today as yesterday, which is a very good thing.  It is hard on the kids to run for an hour in the 90+ hot sun!

It's HOT today!  I don't think I'll get outside.  We'll see if I am motivated to workout at home.  We have tons of stuff going on tonight, so we'll have to see. 

Day 9:

M1 - kale salad, hb eggs, CB sw pot, CM coffee

M2 - chicken veg curry

snack - almonds, banana bread

M3 - chicken taco salad w/ guac, cabbage carrot slaw

snack - banana bread

Gym memberships are tricky things aren't they.  The amount of time driving to and from really adds up compared to popping in a video at home, but popping in a video and then actually doing it is a rough one.  I woke up this morning thinking I'd do something, but that idea loses steam quite quickly.

I gave all my hard boiled eggs to my husband who is going out of town today.  I'll bake some more up and try that out with my next kale salad.  I did discover that I liked the lacinto kale wrapped around raisins.  It's an interesting thing that kale is.

Good luck in the heat!

I worked at home today because I got to work and realized I forgot to bring my laptop so I had to go home and I can only handle one commute per day.  I did not do so well with the munchie monster today.  I ate some nuts and banana bread (paleo recipe I made to get rid of overripe bananas).  I am now not hungry for dinner.  Sigh.  We have a busy night, so I can't really delay dinner.  I think I'll have some veg and protein and go light on the fat (nuts and almond flour banana bread cover that) and try to make it a small dinner and get back on schedule.  It was fun to make the banana bread and the kids were surprised and excited to come home from school and find Mom waiting with a freshly baked snack.  They don't get that very often.  So, though I wish I'd resisted the munchie monster, I'm happy I made the banana bread. :)

Oh, and I did get myself into the basement for 25 minutes on the elliptical, so all is good.

Sounds like a pretty dang good day to me.  Food should be about things like fresh made treats and even if you felt like you were munching, everything sounds like it was at least all still within the real food zone.  Hope you have a fun evening.

You're right - food should be about freshly made treats for the kids.  I just have so little will power around that stuff!  I had more after dinner when I was packing it up to put it away.  But, I am now done. The kids will eat the rest.  I don't need it!

Evening was typical school year - struggles with 9yo over reading and homework, running 11yo to scouts, scout committee meeting (I'm the treasurer - had to stop by to write checks, but I refuse to sit through the whole meeting), home to get everyone to bed, dishes/pick up, fall into bed.  Tonight will be more of the same, but replace scouts with soccer.  Oh well.  It's nice today, so I should be able to walk a bit during the soccer practice.

Day 9 plan:

M1 - the usual

M2 - salmon, cauliflower pilaf w/ olives

M3 - salad w/ ground beef and guac, cabbage carrot slaw

Ooof - such busy schedules shuttling kids around and doing all those extra things.  I also don't have great will power when it comes to many of the baked treats.  I'm not as bad around the paleo treats as I am around the SAD ones, but I still will eat far more than I probably ought to.  Best of luck to you with your busy weekdays.

Yep, they get busier and busier!  In some ways, it gets easier, though.  You don't have to do as much for them.  Just have to drive them around.

Tonight should be an easy one.  No activities!  Yay!  We have to go to the 3rd grade parent orientation for 30 minutes, but then have the rest of the night free to have a non-rushed dinner and hang out at home. 

Day 10 plan:

M1 - the usual

M2 - chicken veg curry

M3 - bass, cabbage carrot slaw, some sort of fat

I've had two people recently comment on my orange hands.  I finally googled it and it has a name - ceretosis, or something like that.  It's from too many sweet potatoes and carrots.  It doesn't seem to be dangerous at all.  And it makes sense considering I've eaten a sweet potato for breakfast almost every day since Apr 1.  And I eat a ton of carrots.  Still weird. 

My throat clearing problem is worse.  It probably is because I have not renewed my Advair scrip.  It's so expensive!  I think I need to get it, though.  And I need to get into the allergy dr to review my meds.  I need to take my son in, too, because he had a bad reaction to a wasp/hornet/something sting and we decided to get an epipen just in case.  He was stung on the hand and his hand and arm all the way to the elbow swelled up for several days.  I worry that if he were stung near the face or neck that local swelling could impact his airway.  Anyway, our family dr prescribed the epipen and told us to take him to the allergy dr soon just for a review.  So, need to set up appts for us both.  On my to do list to find a day off school to get us in.

Along with the throat clearing, I feel like my allergies are getting worse (hay fever season in MN) or I'm getting a cold.  I remembered to have ACV tea last night and again this morning.  I added some aloe juice to sooth the throat.  Not sure if it's helping or not.

It's nice and cool today.  I'll definitely try to get out for a walk. Not sure if I'll go to the Y for one last Zumba class or not.

Day 11 plan:

M1 - the usual

M2 - chicken veg curry

M3 - salad with chicken, veg, avocado

snack - paleo banana bread

Oh my gosh - you really ARE orange!  I thought you just meant you were eating lots of orange foods, but that's too funny that you are actually turning it.  I remember reading about excessive carrot eating as a kid and wanted to test it out, but I never did.  Too funny!  Orange foods are pretty hot items in our family.

Bee sting allergies are scary - smart to have an epipen and hopefully there's never a need for it.  I used to always carry Benadryl in all my different backpacks and pockets as a backup in case since I often forgot the epipen.  Now, it's been so long since I've had a bee sting I don't worry about it anymore.

I was reading about the ACV thing and people really swear on it.  I definitely noticed it gave my system a fighting chance and just helped that stuff move through my respiratory system.  Folks who use it say to have it consistently once you notice cold/allergy symptoms for two or three times a day.  I find I kinda like it so that hasn't been a problem.  Your allergies sound miserable - move to AK! 

I'd love to visit AK sometime.  My college roommate was an Air Force brat and lived in AK for a while and said it was her favorite place they lived.  Someday.  I think I'll try the ACV a few times a day to see if it helps.  I feel like I may be gettnig a cold, which is kind of normal this time of year.  The kids go back to school and germs start circulating!  Maybe the ACV will help me keep it at bay.  I finally got on the phone and made the allergy dr appts, too, but can't get in until Nov 1.  Darn dr must have kids because he's off on all of our no school days.  I found a late start day where he had an early appt.  I should have done it during the summer! 

November 1 is a long ways away.  Dang.  I live in fear of the back to school colds, but do feel better equipped to handle them than before when I was eating in my old ways.  Your body sounds very sensitive to things and reminds me of why medicine should be considered an art as well as a science.

Just wanted to say hi.  Was reading through and sounds like we have very similar attitudes towards food managing this post w30 life!  Looking forward to keeping in touch.  LOL - Alaska is the top 2 of 3 places on my travel bucket list.  Alaska in Winter and Alaska in Summer, LOL  (Australia is the 3rd)

I definitely have a cold.  I'm drinking the ACV tea hoping to keep it at bay.  Fingers crossed!  It hasn't become a huge cold, so maybe it is helping.  I also reordered my Advair.  I hope that the dr has another idea for a cheaper asthma med when I go in on Nov 1, but for now, it's worth paying for it to hopefully keep any cold related asthma away and hopefully help the raw throat/throat clearing thing.  Though, maybe that was because of the oncoming cold...  Who knows. 

I had a piece of banana bread last night.  We were celebrating the 11yo coming in 2nd (out of 70 kids!) in his very first cross country meet and the family was having sundaes.  I wanted something special, too, but didn't want ice cream, so I had a piece of the paleo banana bread.  It was good but then I felt bloated for the rest of the night and even this morning.  Probably the almonds.  That does seem to be a common thing.  I'll have to remember that and weigh that in when deciding if it's worth it or not.  Almond butter doesn't seem to do that, but almond flour does?  Weird. 

M1 - fried eggs, sauteed kohlrabi greens, CB sw pot, CM coffee

M2 - Whole Foods hot bar mix of mostly compliant stuff

M3 - tomato soup with chicken, avocado, salad

EandK - I actually don't think I'm very sensitive and am kind of bummed by it.  I didn't have awesome benefits from W30 and don't seem to have bad reactions to non W30.  I hoped I'd be more like some of the people here and was kind of disappointed that I felt mostly the same.  Although, I apparently am very sensitive to orange foods. LOL  Maybe I'm more senstive than I thought.  I hope I'm sensitive to the benefits of ACV!

Juliejem - thanks for stopping by.  Australia is on my top 5, too.  We hope/plan to take the kids to Australia/New Zealand when they're older.  Maybe for the oldest's graduation from high school.  We want them to be past the entertain me Disney stage and be big enough to keep up on hikes and such.  Husband and oldest want to visit the places Lord of the Rings was filmed.  I'm hoping to get the family to Alaska before that. 

Jen, I here you on the sensitivity thing although I do see a big change from my pre-paleo lifestyle it is mostly in areas where build up would make me feel it again I think. None of my introductions had triggered my brain fog but I have a feeling if I went back to "regular" eating for a week it would come back. Makes it harder to make choices but overall I know that eating mostly W30 is best for my body. I'm touch and go on nuts as well. I'm starting to think the things I am sensitive to are more tricky than eat it = pain. I think what else I'm eating/drinking plays a roll. Once the dust settles I might start taking a more comprehensive paper log with times and liquids for a few weeks to see if I can nail some of that stuff down. Might be worth a thought for you as well. On the allergies, did you get the dog living outside yet? If so has that helped?

Make sure when you finally do plan your Australia and New Zealand trips you give yourself a lot of time! I went in 2002 for about 3 weeks and I wish I had spent more time. I will be going back. I spent most of my time in Sydney, did a few days in Christchurch and surrounding areas, 1 full day in Cairnes, and a couple days in Melbourne. So lovely!

I want to make it up to Alaska at some point too. Would love to do one of the many cruises that goes out of Seattle. Husband won't do a cruise ship but my mom is keen. 

I guess I am grateful that I don't have immediate negative reactions to foods, though that would make it easier, I think, to make good choices.  I can't say that W30 foods are necessarily the best for my body.  I don't have any reason to say that oatmeal is bad for me, for example.  What I do know, though, is that W30 lifestyle makes making good choices easier and that is worth something to me.  It is easier to avoid snacking on cereal all evening (my nemesis!) when I'm just not eating wheat, period.  It's easier to not keep taking bites of my husband's ice cream when I'm just not eating dairy, period.  I also appreciate that the template of protein, fats and veggies keeps me full longer so I don't have to fight with hunger all day.  I guess I was just hoping for a miraculous solving of my annoying symptoms of allergies, asthma, and the inability to lose 10 lbs.  I need to remind myself of the good things and be happy for those. 

Yes!  The dog moved outside last weekend!  I'm hoping that a few cleanings will take care of any lingering hair/dander and that my allergies will get better.  She's not happy, but I am. :)

I remembered a benefit - before W30, I had lots of stomach aches and I don't have many anymore.  When I tried a "cleanse" diet in January that was basically fruit, veg, nuts and lentils, I had a stomach ache almost the entire month.  W30 doesn't give me a stomach ache.  Got to remember the benefits when I'm frustrated.

My cold is on its way out, so maybe the ACV helped!  I really only had it one day.  I'm going to keep having the ACV 2x a day to see if it helps with my allergies/throat.

I am going to try changing up my breakfast.  As much as I LOVE my CB sweet potato, maybe that is part of what is keeping me from losing weight.  Today I had 3 eggs (usually have 2), kale, celery dipped in AB.  So far so good as far as holding me over.  Though it isn't even close to lunch yet, so we'll see.  It's probably good to mix things up though I really love my W30 breakfast. 

I got Against All Grains from the library and boy is it a beautiful cookbook!  I'm finding  a few things I want to make.  If I find enough, I'll buy it. 

Today is soccer and errands.  Tomorrow is soccer and cook-up and laundry.  Normal weekend.

M1 - fried eggs, sauteed kale, AB, celery, CM coffee

M2 - tomato soup, avocado, smoked salmon

M3 - not sure yet

Good thoughts Jen and glad the cold is going away. Against All Grain was down to a pretty low price on Amazon yesterday though I've not checked it today. I'm looking forward to getting back to more cooking when this move is over. Hope you have a great Saturday?

Yay for a one day cold - hopefully it stays that way.  I'll be curious what you think about the ACV.  I've found that I just kinda like it and it reminds me a bit of kombucha.

I was also hoping that I could discover THE food that messed with my system or triggered my daughter's eczema, but no such luck - or at least nothing I'm identified yet in my very unscientific ways of eating.

I do think that many of the things I'm no longer eating (the grains and processed foods and sugars and food colorings and dairy) all contributed to layers and layers of inflammation in my system.  I really can't recall any times in my life where I've been able to catch a cold and still eat foods without triggering asthma attacks until the last few months.  Usually I'd have to stop eating everything except for rice and red meat.  Now I can eat all our regular foods and feel okay.

I do think rice seems to sit well in my system and I wouldn't be surprised if oats sat well too, but I'm okay living without for now.  If I reintroduced them, I think I might start that slippery slope.

Your ten pounds is a drag!  I was reading one of the blogs and it talked about dropping your carbs really low to get that last ten pounds off so perhaps cutting out the sweet potato is a good thing.  Any chance spaghetti squash could be a good replacement?  I should try it myself before I suggest it to others! :)

Happy Monday.  It was a pretty good weekend.  Both boys won their soccer games and had fun with friends.  I got my errands and cookup done.  I took a long walk each day with a friend.  I got a good night sleep last night, thank goodness.  Saturday night, I ended up going out to dinner, having a glass of wine, eating chocolate dipped in almond butter when I got home and not being able to fall asleep until 1am.  Ugh!  I was pretty crabby yesterday.  It reminds me that while a glass of wine sounds good, it's probably not worth it very often and wasn't worth it Saturday night.  It wasn't worth the lowered resistance to chocolate and it wasn't worth the bad night sleep.

I'm thinking of doing a more strict version of W30ish after my anniversary and through October and maybe until Thanksgiving.  That would mean no exceptions for a glass of wine, actually try to eat W30 when out, no exceptions for dessert, etc.  I probably still would have the occasional white potato and not worry about oils when I eat out, but no glass of wine just because I'm out and no dessert period.  I have a couple of weekends where I have people visiting during that time, so I just have to get my head around if I'm willing to be strict or not.  I have a couple weeks to decide.  In the meantime, I plan to be as W30ish as possible until my anniversary, enjoy that outing to the fullest, and have a plan for after.

Cold is mostly gone.  Just a tickle in the throat left.  It really was very mild.  I like the ACV, too, E.  It reminds me of kombucha, too.  I'm going through my bottle pretty fast!  I will need to get more soon.  I'm out of aloe, too, and need to pick up more of that.  I think between the two, it helps my throat issues.  And, I agree, it's layers for me, too, and for my son with his allergies.  It would be easier to have it be THE food as you called it, but it's not that simple.  Now that it's fall, spag squash should show up at the farmer's market.  I'll look for some to mix it up.  Good idea.

Sunday:

M1 - fried eggs, kale, celery, AB, CM coffee

M2 - scotch eggs from well fed, salad

M3 - salad, cumin lime chicken from Against All Grains, mashed potatoes, green beans

Monday plan:

M1 - fried eggs, kale, celery, AB, CM coffee

M2 - chicken veg curry, carrots

M3 - shepard pie w/ ground beef, tons of veg, l/o mashed potatoes

Winning soccer games and having fun with friends sounds like a pretty nice weekend.  

What a drag about the wine reaction.  It's certainly not worth it is it, but I've already spent 40 years testing to see if things that aren't worth it might just have a new effect to no avail and yet I bet I'll keep testing that idea!  I heard one of our stores might have gluten free beer and I can feel my head saying, "Ohh that could work well!"

Cumin lime chicken sounds delicious.

Archived