Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to come back regularly, busy or not.  I've been eating way too much junk (aka sugar) for the past couple weeks.  I feel awful.  I kind of just fell of the cliff between the purse thing, birthday, the fair, end of summer, holiday weekend, too busy, etc.  All poor excuses.  And not worth it.  One special treat is worth it.  Weeks of non stop "special" treats are not.  I need to get back to reporting in somewhere so I can't fool myself into thinking it's ok.  So, back on track today.  I just need to eat normally.  Unfortunately, I have 2 work dinners this week.  But, I will just have to do my best and not let the work dinners turn into an excuse to throw out the whole week.

Today's plan:

M1 - eggs, kale, 2 pieces of leftover bacon which I did not need and didn't make me feel good, coffee, cm

M2 - salad/veg, tuna, avocado

M3 - work dinner - do my best and skip the bread and dessert

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling great.  And I like Bethany's idea to spin it around to something positive.

I know you know how to get back to feeling good, now just do it.  Good luck!

How did back to school go?  Is everything resolved with your purse issues?

Thanks for the support!

The work dinner was fine.  Restaurants really don't serve enough veggies, though!  Even fancy ones.  I had a little wine and a little dessert but otherwise did fine. 

I still feel bloated and not my best.  I need to string a few good days together.

Today's plan:

M1 - eggs, kale, 2 pieces of leftover turkey bacon which I didn't need but didn't make me feel bad like the regular bacon yesterday, coffee, cm

M3 - chicken, salad/veg

Back to school went fine.  The kids weren't very happy about it, by any means, but they'll deal.  :)  I just hate how busy we are now.  I miss summer. 

The purse stuff is getting there.  I've gotten replacements for almost everything and am working on maybe getting the phone reimbursed.  That would help!

Glad back to school went well and the purse stuff is starting to resolve.

I agree with hating busyness and missing summer.  But I do feel like we really took advantage of summer this year, so that makes me happy.  Your busy season at work is in the summer, right?

Looks like a good plan and back to your normal eating.  :)

Sara - it seems like the busy season is all year long lately, but the worst of it is before board meetings so May, August, November, February.  Everybody tends to freak out at that time so I am super busy and super stressed.  The busy isn't as bad as the stress.  I really try to keep things calm but it can be hard when everyone around you is freaking out.  Stress and anxiety tend to be contagious despite my best efforts.

I ended up having to work last night until about 10:30 and then couldn't fall asleep.  I don't think I slept at all until after 12:30 sometime and didn't sleep well until after 2:30 and then had to get up at 5:30 to come in for an early meeting (see above - everyone freaking out).  So, I am tired, crabby, bloated, and will end up basically working a 17 hour day if you count the work dinner (which I do).  Ugh!  The board meeting is today so everybody better calm the heck down now!  I need to get some sleep.

Today's plan:

M1 - yogurt (yeah, yeah, I know.  It was too early and I was too tired to do a real meal), banana, AB, coffee, cm

M3 - work dinner

Stress and anxiety tend to be contagious despite my best efforts.

I agree with this completely.  The cyclical freak-out, fun times.  When I worked for a publicly traded company, quarterly results were king and I handled the LIFO calculation which caused huge swings - so stressful and so much freaking out.  I was told on many occasions that I could sleep when I was dead and there 24 hours in a day.  :wacko:   I do not miss that environment AT ALL.

Hopefully things will settle down tomorrow since the Board Meeting will be done.  Good luck!  And double Good Luck getting some sleep tonight.

Finally past all the work dinners and plan to focus on just eating simply.  This work dinner was at a fancy Italian place.  I ate around the pasta but did have a little wine and a little dessert.  I couldn't pass up the pistachio gelato!  It was a very late night (for me and especially on 3 hrs sleep!), though.  I slept well, but not long enough.  This weekend I will focus on sleep and yoga and veggies.

Today's plan:

M1 - yogurt, banana, AB, coffee, cm

M3 - eggs, kale

Good morning.  The weekend wasn't as much of a reset as I'd have liked.  Some family stuff kept us up late Friday night.  A last minute party invite Saturday included wine and chips (too many chips!).  I got some decent sleep Sat and Sun nights, made it to yoga each day and other than the wine and chips, ate well.  It wasn't clean enough, however, to make me feel like I'm moving back in the right direction.  Pants are tight.  Tummy is bloated.  Digestion is off.  My goal this week is to string 5 clean days together.  I can't recover from a pretty bad off-road period when I have "exceptions" like work dinners and parties every other day.  I have no reasons not to eat normally all week.  I need to get past the feeling that just because something is there, I should eat it.  Speaking of digestion, mine has been off since July.  It started before the cabin, birthday, fair, etc so I'm not sure of the cause.  I'm taking my magnesium.  I tried Sara's yogurt trick, which didn't help or hurt the situation.  The only thing I can think of, maybe, is that I haven't been eating my bit of sweet potato at breakfast.  I think the summer heat has made it less appealing or something.  Anyway, I will try bringing that back for a while even if I don't really feel like it, to see if that helps.  Have a good week!

• Moderators

Sorry you're not satisfied with the weekend "reset." Sounds pretty good to me, though! Lack of starchy veg definitely causes constipation for me. I hope you find some relief!

You can definitely string together five days of eating that will make you feel good. Cheers!

I agree that five days of eating what makes you feel good should get you back on track,

Sorry about the digestion issues.  I have found the only thing that really works consistently for me is flaxseeds.  If you are interested, I'll give you details.

Sara - details would be great.  Thanks.

One clean day down, many to go. :) 

Work is hopefully settling down, so hopefully less stress and anxiety will help on all fronts. 

I woke up to a storm around 1am, but luckily it was quick and I fell right back to sleep. 

I did blow up at 11yo, though.  He was whining and complaining and griping all evening long about everything we asked him to do after we'd been nice and let him play wii with a friend for a bit after school.  The family stuff that happened over the weekend was that my uncle's house burned down.  Everyone was ok, but it's still very traumatic.  At one point, I told 11yo he doesn't get to complain.  My cousins (15 and 14) can complain.  He can't.  When he kept griping, I lost it.  I felt bad, but boy was he being a spoiled brat.  Needless to say, he lost the privilege of any video games after school for the foreseeable future.  And, for the rest of the week, he can't play with friends until his homework is all done.  I hope tonight is better.

Whining little boys are tough to deal with.  I had it out with my son yesterday after I attempted to help him solve a problem and he was actually making things up as to why my suggestion wouldn't help.  <_<

I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle's house - I hope everyone was okay!

Flaxseeds - I use whole flaxseeds (I order in bulk, but you can get them at the grocery store or in health food stores) and I do this routine in the morning, after lemon/acv water, but before coffee.  The key is the oil and the fiber, but you need to release the oil (and flaxseed oil tends to go rancid quickly).  I microwave about 1/2 a mugful of water for a minute and then dump in three tablespoons of whole flasxseeds.  Let them sit between 10-20 minutes, long enough to cool (although I've let them sit longer or added cold water when in a rush) and then down the whole ooey-gooey mixture.  I used to add to yogurt or oatmeal, but I'd rather just down it and get it over with.  I've played around with amounts, but the 3 tbs seems to work best for me, with a 2 tbs shooter at lunch if I don't have a "successful" morning.

• Moderators

Sounds like your response to your son was merited. Hope he straightens up and acts right!

Here's another flaxseed mixture recommended to me by a lady who does colonics. One Tablespoon of each of the following drunk in the morning (and again at night if needed):

*ground flax seed

*flax seed oil

*chia seeds

*liquid chlorophyl

Mix together, add a little water and drink quickly. Follow with an additional cup of water.

It never worked for me, but I know my regularity issues are systemic and related to my thyroid. I hope you find some relief!

I've had 4 clean days and am on track for a 5th.  AF is just about to start, though, so I'm not really seeing any relief.  I will just keep on and know it will come. 

I had to go to the dentist to start the process of getting a crown from when I broke my tooth on an almond in October.  No fun!  I'm all numb now. 

We have a busy weekend of kid stuff - football, soccer, sleepovers.  I'm getting husband to take me to dinner Sat night.  I'll fit in some yoga, too.  Should be good.

Have a great weekend!

• Moderators

Congrats! And yes, just keep on and know it will come. Good for you!

I had a novocaine sitch Friday, too. No fun. But it wore off within a couple hours. Hope It worked out OK for you and that yoga was marvy!

Happy Monday.  We had a nice weekend.  I got in some yoga, had a nice anniversary dinner out (including sweet potato fries, wine and dessert, but it was worth it) and (other than the dinner out) ate well.  I'm still at my "winter weight" instead of my "summer weight" but with AF just getting going and having had Brussels sprouts and ham for dinner last night, I'm not really surprised.  Plan for this week is to just keep on.  It'll come or it won't but I'll feel better eating well rather than rebelling against myself like a child and eating junk.  We have dinner out Thursday at a sushi place but no food related weekend plans so I should be able to just get into my calm eating groove and stay there.  I'm not worried about the sushi dinner because the very rare sushi outing isn't my problem.  Sugar and snacking is my problem.   And, unlike the work dinners, I'll have control over what and how much I order. 

Still here and, despite AF now being gone and having been eating normally, weight is still up, still feel bloated, still not regular.  Very annoying.  I may try the flax thing this weekend.  It's really frustrating when something that had worked stops working.  I was feeling frustrated when we went to dinner last night, so on top of sushi, I rebelled against myself and also had a glass of wine and dessert.  Oh well.  Back to normal eating and extra mag and flax shots, I guess. 

Archived