Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These early dinners are killing me!  That, or a salad just isn't enough food.  But, I had a mini meal instead of a snack or dessert type food, so it's ok. 

My tummy was a little off yesterday.  Not sure if it was a delayed reaction to the catered picnic food or from having goat cheese 2x in one day or unrelated.  I will limit goat cheese to 1x a day anyway, just in case.

I forgot my enzymes today.  I will get them for dinner.  I wonder when I should start weaning off them, anyway?  I have been on them since mid to late-April, I think, so 2 months.  I wonder if that's enough time for my body to get used to eating meat again.  Hmmmm.  For the record, ever since I started the HCL (thank you, Beets!!!), I have been completely regular except 1 day right before AF, which is normal for me.  I was even regular through a traveling weekend, when in the past I would not have been.  I don't think I would have made it this far without it!

Plan for the weekend is to stick to the template as far as meal structure, but I am going to test oatmeal, I think.  To see if I can figure out a way to fit it in occasionally.  I don't think it will cause a bad reaction.  I just doubt it will hold me over as long as W30 breakfasts do. 

LM - You are so right.  It's ok to nourish ourselves!  And we don't have to worry about what other people think.  If the lunch had been pizza, I wouldn't have thought twice about bringing my own food, but being meat, I thought it could work.  I underestimated how ingrained the bad ingredient list was in my head!

PP - Yep, capitals = yelling at myself!  Or, maybe talking in a stern voice.  :)

Plan for today:

M1 - hb eggs, spinach, ab sw pot, cm coffee, fruit

M2 - banana, squash soup, sausage, veg

M3 - sw pot, ground pork/kale mixture, goat cheese, salad

NO SNACK/DESSERT

I made myself a more substantial dinner than a salad and I did not get hungry again.  Need to figure out how to make a portable salad more substantial. 

I went to bed early, but barely slept.  We had big storms roll through so my son and I slept in the basement guest room.  I slept awful even though it's a comfy bed.  It just isn't my bed.  Oh, and the squirmy kicky noisy 8 yo didn't help.  I will make today a calm day and get to bed early tonight.  We had kid/friend drama last week that is still on my mind, which also kept me up last night.  I am hoping to move on today.  It's all over but the hurt feelings, so dwelling on it won't do me any good. 

Today's plan involves errands, a dentist appt and lunch with my grandma.  And booch brewing and flavoring and maybe jam making with my son.

Plan for today:

M1 - l/o paleo waffles, strawb/zucc sauce, eggs, cm coffee

M2 - salad/veg with avocado, chicken, egg, olives, sweet potato fries

M3 - avocado shrimp salad, plantain tostadas, strawb/banana popsicle

I will, Calee!

Lunch with gma was canceled.  The storm was worse where she is and they're all without power right now.  Poor gma just wants a cup of coffee!  If she wasn't 45 minutes away, I'd bring her one.  Instead, my 8 yo and I had a lovely lunch date at a local diner.  I made a good choice, I think , with a salad with chicken, egg, avocado and olives and then splurged on sweet potato fries that I shared with my son.  Worth it!

We've done the booch flavoring.  8yo muddled the basil and blackberries and portioned them into the jars.  I think painting is next.  So fun!

Great night sleep!  My own bed.  No storm until this morning.  Husband (aka snoring blanket stealer) was up all night working (he's in IT - they were deploying a new SW).  Much better than the night before!

Great day yesterday, too.  I feel like I made ok choices and am ok with the splurges.  I feel not great (not horrible, either) due to AF on her way, but that's fairly normal and can't be blamed on any poor food choices.  I spent all day with my youngest.  We don't get to have one on one time with the kids often, so it was a nice treat.  We ran errands, biked, read, had a lunch date, made jam, made strawberry and banana "ice cream" popsicles and generally just had a nice day together.

Today should be good, too.  Older son comes home from scout camp, so I'll have tons of laundry.  Our framily kids are singing at church.  I have tons of cook up to do for this coming week.  My favorite way to spend a Sunday is doing a big cookup, so it will be fun. 

cookup plans:

prep oatmeal breakfasts for this week

strawb/rhub/zucc sauce for said breakfasts

boil eggs

saute greens

bake sw pots

cook chicken for Sun dinner and Tues dinner

make rhub salsa for Sun dinner

make burgers for Mon dinner

make plantain chicken salad for Tues dinner

Fun!

Today's Plan:

M1 - paleo waffles, zucc/rhub/strawb sauce, eggs, cm coffee

M2 - avocado bacon waffles (can you tell I'm having fun with my new waffle plates?), tomato, salad

M3 - grilled chicken, rhubarb salsa, potatoes, salad

No DESSERT/SNACKS!!!

I'm a Sunday cook up person as well, though it's just hubby and me to feed so on a much smaller scale.  I really enjoy it.  I've always liked cooking though, so I'll count myself lucky in that regard!

I like the NO DESSERTS/SNACKS notation. Hope you enjoyed your cook up. I can't even think about standing over a hot stove/oven when it's hot. And we are in the middle of a heat wave. Ugh. Last week's weather was definitely too good to last.

I make portable, hearty salads all the time. I usually throw one together before I get my son from school, and then eat it on the playground. My "salad" is usually meat plus lettuce plus avo dressing (avo, lemon/lime, olive oil, salt). I will just make a burger patty to put on top. (Or brisket or roasted pork depending on what I have.) I guess, though, now that I think about t, the fact that I can make this and eat it shortly after makes it ok--the burger or reheated meat is always still warm and the salad cold. But you could keep separate. Unless of course you don't want so much meat...

Well! That was not very helpful. I'm afraid. I'm looking forward to a good week with NO SNACKS/DESSERTS. :)

I'm a Sunday cook up person as well. I like having containers that I can pick and choose meals. I eat a lot of salads as Beets describes. I have a lunch meeting tomorrow and will take one of those.

Yesterday I cooked up chicken thighs and roasted sweet potatoes, cauliflower and zuchinni as well as picking up salad stuff at the market. I'm set for a few days. I have some pork and lamb patties that I froze last week to take out and eat. I also pulled one homemade pulled pork from the freezer for lunch today. I want o eat from my freezer and empty it out.

Waffles..... YUM!

Well, the avocado bacon waffles (foodieandfamily) were not a hit.  The family wanted to put syrup on them anyway.  Oh well.  It sounded good.  I didn't mind them, but I had to admit they were a little dry.  But with tomato slices and a runny egg as the author recommended, they were ok.  I have some in the freezer that I'll have to eat eventually because nobody else will.  Still, fun to try new things.

The avocado shrimp salad (paleomom, I think) I made Saturday night was a hit.  My son loved it.  He also talked me into buying an artichoke to steam.  He's a funny kid.  I love that he loves food.  With his allergies and tummy issues, he could be super picky and afraid to try new things, but he's a very adventurous eater (and booch drinker!). 

I got a little hungry last night, so I had a couple bites of the plantain chicken salad (paleomg) that I was making for Tuesday's dinner.  I think that will be a hit.  At least for me. :)

I am currently bloated and crampy and AF'y.  I hope it passes soon.

Goals for the week:

Test oatmeal and peanut butter

Stay on template

Limit anybutters to part of meals

No desserts/snacks (redundant to stay on template, but needs to be said again!)

Plan for today:

M1 - oats w/ pb, yogurt, zucc, rhub, strawb, cm coffee

M2 - l/o chicken, sw pot, rhub salsa, olives for fat

M3 - burger, guac, salad/veg, plantain tostada

NO SNACKS/DESSERT!!!

Yep, the 8 yo is my little booch and artichoke lover. :wub:  He loves aspaagus, tomatoes, onions, avocados and on and on.  He eats cow tongue and othe gross stuff with my husband, too.

The 11yo generally eats what is put in front of him, but will never admit it if he likes it.  It's his way of showing his independance.  He HATES sweet potatoes and squash and tells people who ask within my earshot that his favorite food is high fructose corn syrup.  Little stinker!

We try to see food as fun and an adventure.  We tell the kids they don't have to like it, they just have to try it and see what they think.  I think that takes some of the pressure off.  I also eat things I don't particularily like.  That way, when my 11yo complains that he doesn't like tomatoes, I can say, neither do I but they're good for us.  To be honest, they're growing on me.  I'm hoping they grow on him someday, too.  We also have a rule that if you complain you get more.  If they make gross noises (as boys tend to do) or whine about what is for dinner, they have to eat more.  It works pretty well, except now they like to complain and whine when I make fries or ice cream. :P

The 8 yo everyone is loving on ended up in bed at 7pm last night.  He's my button pusher.

My breakfast of oats yesterday held me to lunch fine. One day doesn't make a trend, but it's a good start.  I don't have any reactions to the oats or pb. 

I'm kind of frustrated.  I still feel body tired and fluffy.  I haven't lost any lbs since the week after I finished my W30.  I haven't gained them back, but I'm stuck there.  I'm in AF now, but I've felt this way the whole time.  Really no different than before the W30.  I don't work out hard, but my legs feel tired, anyway.  I never got the awesome energy or the awesome healing power from the W30.  And continuing to eat mostly W30ish hasn't brought any of that on.  Kicking my cereal and grazing habit is a good thing, regardless of the rest, but I can't help but wonder if there is some other way of eating that I haven't found yet that would give me the benefits so many find here.  Or, am I missing some nutrient or something that would help.  I'm not even sure how I'd go about figuring it out.  I eat, and did before, a ton of different veggies.  I've been eating some fruit because it's in season and yummy, but not too much.  I'm now eating a variety of meat.  I get plenty of healthy fat.  What am I missing?  I don't feel awful, so maybe I should be grateful for that and accept that this is normal for me and try to stop thinking about it.  I don't know.  If I stop thinking about it all together, I'll fall back into bad habits and grow out of my pants again and spend time feeling guilty.  But, I also don't want to waste time thinking about it if it isn't going to make a difference. Just not sure.

Plan for today:

M1 - oats w/ pb, yogurt, zucc, rhub, strawb, cm coffee

M2 - burger, guac, salad/veg, plantain tostada

M3 - plantain chicken salad, veg salad

snack - few bites dq blizzard

NO SNACKS/DESSERT!!!

Aw, it's easy to love them when we hear about all the cute chef stuff and don't have to deal with everything else!

I know what you mean with the frustration.  I think I'm in the same place you are.  I had a pretty good W30 but no measurable results (well, measurable in a bad way - scales went UP), no tiger blood and all that jazz.  I was compliant, though I did have too many snacks (ha, 1 snack is too many!  I would have been stoked with that prior to starting!).  I've cleaned that up a whole lot since finishing but still feeling fluffy as well.

You're definitely not alone!

I'm keen to stick with it for now, I don't believe I need the grains, dairy wasn't a biggie for me anyway and I like the amount of vegetables I eat now.  But am definitely not adverse to tweaking as I see fit.  Am actually considering adding in some intermittent fasting again, if my stomach is ok with it (I used to do it  regularly - two days a week at about 500 calories - and it worked really well for me) but had to stop when I started the immuno suppressants.

Maybe those are dirty words here, certainly not to template, but there is science out there reporting benefits for IF and I felt like it worked for me.

If you feel like the template is helping you control where you're at and keeping you eating healthy food, that has to be a good thing!

I'm still waiting on the tiger blood as well. I can totally relate to how you're feeling. I love the boundaries created by the template. I was eating good before but it's good for me to have this letting go process of the grains, dairy and sugar. I will say that my sleep has really improved and I'm delighted. My gym routine is the most intense I've ever done. Would I be able to keep up working out 5-6 days a week with the template? Dunno. So hard to compare apples to oranges.

Your NO SNACKS is great. :)

Thanks for the support and perspective, PP and Calee!  It helps to know I'm not alone in not feeling the full awesomeness that is the Whole30.

I am sneezy a bit again today.  I read a discussion in another thread where someone said that yogurt makes them sneeze  The fact that I'd been sneezing yesterday morning didn't even really register until I read that.  Wondering if there is a connection.  I did not notice that last time I tried yogurt, but I will keep an eye on it.  Of course, I made up 5 breakfasts with yogurt to last the week and I hate to waste food, so I will keep eating them, but will then go back to my W30 type breakfasts and see if the sneezies go away.  Could also be the oats or pb, I suppose, since I didn't notice the sneezies last time.  But, with my allergies, I don't usually notice a few sneezes.  Just something to watch.

I ate some blizzard last night after soccer. I knew I would be hungry (dinner super early), anyway.  I ate some blizzard and then stopped and didn't eat any more food when I got home.  I am ok with that.  Usually sugar begets more sugar and learning to isolate treats is something I would like to do.

Plan for today:

M1 - oats w/ pb, yogurt, zucc, rhub, strawb, cm coffee, watermelon

M2 - plantain chicken salad, veg salad, larabar (didn't feel full after salad)

M3 - plantain chicken salad, veg salad

NO SNACKS/DESSERT!!!

I've been in an all day meeting today.  Ick.  Luckily, I was able to get them to order me an almost compliant salad instead of the boxed sandwich, chips and cookie. 

Not regular today.  Kind of bloated.  Stomach "active."  Trying not to feed the active tummy.  Could be from 4 days of oats and yogurt.  Could be the larabar yesterday.  Could be unrelated.  Who knows.  Regardless, back to basics next week.

I say next week because we're going to the cabin this weekend and bringing along friends.  I'm sure there will be off-roading.  There will be alcohol and cinnamon bread.  My goal is to follow the 3 meals no snacks template, limit drinks to 1 per evening and skip desserts/sweets.  I will get back to basics Sunday night.

Today:

M1 - oats w/ pb, yogurt, zucc, rhub, strawb, cm coffee, plum

M2 - salad w/ chicken, hb egg, olives, tons of veg, chickpeas (forgot to tell them to leave them off with the cheese and croutons so ate them - there weren't too many) and olive oil / balsamic dressing

M3 - avocado waffles, I think.  8yo is making the family pancakes tonight with his new spatula, so I'll probably just eat one of the avocado waffles that I have in the freezer rather than mixing up a batch of some other kind of paleo pancake.  Prob will add eggs, salad/veg, and jam

Well done on lunch today.  Hope the tummy settles soon!

Smiling at thought of 8 year old cooking for the family with his new spatula.  Way too cute :)

And have a lovely time at the cabin, I like your plan.  Not too much party-pooping, but still structured.

Bummer news - the cabin weekend is off.  Husband has to be on call all weekend because the program they launched last weekend isn't going well.  The good part is that I now have more free time.  The bad news is that everyone is bummed.  And no cinnamon bread. Good and bad, there.

But, I can't really worry too much about anything.  My cousin's 16 yr old daughter died in a car accident yesterday.  I don't know them well (they have always lived far away), but it's just so heart breaking and puts life in perspective.  Who cares if I eat wheat or not.  Who cares if we are at the cabin or at home.  We are all healthy and together.  So sad.  I can't help but cry for my cousin's family and hug mine harder and be grateful for what we have.  Ugh!  Life isn't fair.  My dad is so upset.  My step-mother died about 11 years ago and my brother died about 5 years ago from a mitochondrial disease.  This news has brought all of those memories back tot he surface for him.  And while that was awful, it wasn't unexpected and we could somewhat comfort ourselves by knowing they weren't suffering anymore.  But, a healthy vibrant 16 yr old with no warning is just so hard to take.  Sad sad sad.

Everyone hug your kids or pets or booch bottles today. :wub:

Thanks Sophie and Beth. It was a rough day for my family.  Well, it will be a lot of rough days.

Anyway, the no cabin weekend started with some serious off-roading.  I had pizza, alcohol and a rice krispie bar.  But, I had only one drink.  I did not have more pizza even though I wanted some.  I did not continue with the sugar when I got home.  That's all good.  So, big off-road, but contained off-road.  Even so, I woke up with a headache (despite the one drink being hours before I went to bed and follwed by tons of water) and very sneezy and stuffed up. I blame the sugar for the headache and possibly the pizza for the sneezing.

I'm back to my W30 breakfast today - oatmeal/yogurt is done for a bit.  I think not having my greens and sweet potato in the mornings and replacing it with oats and yogurt contributed to not being very regular last week and to being more sneezy in the mornings.  I anticipate that getting back to my normal breakfast will clear up those issues.  We shall see.

Not sure what the plan is for today.  Walk this morning.  Maybe taking the kids rock climbing this afternoon.  Tacos and more drinks with the canceled cabin trip friends tonight.  I plan to try to keep food more compliant, but will probably have a drink again. :ph34r:

• Moderators

You know what you just said? "I anticipate that getting back to my normal breakfast will clear up those issues." Whole9 is your life, lady. Good for you! When I think back to how skeptical you were and how hard it was to start eating meat again . . . well, looks like it's done you some good.

Please do take care of yourself. Especially when we're grieving I think we need every kind of support we can gather, nutritional included.

Thanks, M.  I did eat my "normal" breakfast. :)  But, then I strayed.

I badly abused my tummy last night.  I had alcohol (not a ton, but still), cookies, corn chips along with my salad, salsa and guac.  I felt so full I could burst.  I was up last night with intense stomach pains and was clammy and cold and hot all at the same time.  It was not fun!  I need to be kinder to my tummy.  It has felt sore all day.  I have had 2 compliant, tummy kind, meals today and feel ok other than the sore tummy.  I hope to feel all better tomorrow.  I have not had any bad reactions when I have small amounts of non compliant foods.  I think I got cocky and thought that big amounts of non compliant foods would be ok, too.  Not so much. 

I have a ton to catch up on, but not tonight.  I need to do the normal laundry, dishes, food prep thing along with dinner, bath, bed for the kids.  I will catch up tomorrow when I'm at work. LOL

Archived