Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

I'm with you, Jen.  I try not to detail my eating too much, because it is definitely not W30 approved.  W30 definitely gave me some good tools to help me figure out what I want to keep out of my diet completely and what I have as treats and what I want in regularly.  And that has been changing/evolving.

I hear you on the running!  Two days a week, son and I get home at 8pm (his bedtime is 8pm).  One night we get home about 6:30.  And that is one kid in one activity.  Yikes.  Glad you are taking some time for your son.  :wub:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my definition too.  I have my basic foods that work for me and most of them are from the Whole 30 template.  But I don't want to stress when I eat out over whether there is added sugar and I do let myself have some non-gluten grains (mostly rice), dairy (occasional cheese), and sometimes wine.  But I try to keep the bad stuff -- pure sugar, wheat -- out of my diet completely.  

Thursday was clean for me. :)  Friday was not.  I ended up going to lunch with my sister and had the anti W30 sandwich at our favorite falafel place.  Mmmmmm!  And, I had wine later.  :ph34r:  Today, though, is going to be good, as will tomorrow.  Yoga and yummy eggs n kale.  :wub:   I have a spag squash to cook for dinner.  

My weekend plans changed a bit.  I knew I'd be working (super busy trying to get everything done for our quarterly board meeting before Thanksgiving weekend and a system upgrade), so I kept the weekend clear.  The boys were all going hunting so I figured I'd have lots of time to myself to work and hopefully get stuff done, too.  But, 14yo hurt his knee so he stayed home and we went to urgent care this morning.  Luckily, it doesn't seem to be anything serious.  Just a pulled ligament or something.  I'm actually happy to have the company, but it will be a bit less quiet.  I'll be working with the wii in the background. :P

The weekend wasn't clean.  I had more wine, popcorn and pumpkin bars.  Sigh.  I also ate too much squash. LOL

Plan for the week is 5 "clean" days the best I can.  I have a work happy hour tomorrow night.  I'm going to have to summon up some willpower to not have a glass of wine. 

• Moderators

Those boys sure do keep you on your toes, Jen!

When I was up north I went into a little local health food store to buy some produce and then I picked up a few homemade chocolates. When the cashier bagged them he made a comment about keeping all the "good" stuff in one bag--meaning the produce. My response: "It's all good." Because you know what? Those chocolates were divine--and exactly what I wanted in that moment and I savored every bite. Everything is medicine. Some good, some bad, often because of the spirit in which we receive it. 

If you drink the wine and eat the popcorn and pumpkin bars, do so with gratitude. Same with the squash (I have an amazing haul right now, too!) and the kale and eggs. You know what serves you best. And whether it's "clean" or not isn't always the point. That's how I'm thinking about food right now and through the holidays, anyway. It's so healing to be permissive AND mindful with food. It loses the drama and actually becomes food that way.

My two cents, as always! :P

Thanks for the great perspective, M!  I missed you. ;)

Calm, no drama, continues to be the goal.  It's amazing, though, how old habits stick.  The one bite of pumpkin bar I wanted became two servings.  That's why I still feel the need to be vigilant.  Sugar adds drama.

Anyway, Monday was a good day.  I'm setting my mind to not drinking or eating at the retirement party happy hour tonight.  It'll just be easier that way.  Plus, I don't want to stay very long and it will be dark and rainy on the way home and I'll be tired.

Glad it is nothing major with your son.  I'm also glad to see you keeping calm over your eating, even if you are going "off plan" on the  weekends.  Calm, calm, calm.

Oh, and I ate half a bagel yesterday at work because the power was out.  Huh??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL, Sara!  We always have good reasons to off road, right?  That's even better than "because I had a coupon". 

I didn't eat or drink anything at the party last night and was very happy with that.  I was kind of tempted by the brie I saw on the appetizer table but just never made it over there so all was good. 

There's an Office 365 fair going on today at work with cookies and popcorn and hotdogs.  I can smell them.  Luckily, hotdogs hold no appeal and "movie theater" popcorn makes me feel icky (I only like homemade).  The cookies I'll just have to stay away from. 

• Moderators

I would have been in the same boat as you. Hotdogs: no thanks. I've spoiled myself with homemade popcorn cooked with ghee and tossed with nutritional yeast. But cookies are my kryptonite. Making the decision to say no and stick to it is the best tactic in such a case.

You ARE doing great! Congrats!

Yesterday was a big failure on the food front. I was SOOOOO tired and my defenses were down.  At a retirement cake party I took a piece of super yummy carrot cake.  I wouldn't have been tempted by regular cake but the carrot cake looked so good and I was so tired.  I would have said it was worth it, but it woke the dragon and so I then ate a bunch of cookies at home when I was making them for 14yo to take someplace.  I proved once again that once I start, I really can't stop.  Lesson to be learned is to just not start.  And to get more sleep.  Anyway, moving on.

Still tired and now gassy and uncomfortably full feeling still.  It'll pass.  I will eat as normally as possible today and tomorrow, enjoy my girls night in Saturday night and then get back to eating normally Sun-Wed.  And likely Thurs, too.  Friday will be my day to indulge.  Enjoy the weekend!

• Moderators

How'd the weekend go?

I don't know how you moms do it--creating and buying treats and snacks constantly. If I had to do that I just don't know how I'd manage.

Good information: even a truly delicious sweet leads to more sweet leads to suffering. "Sugar adds drama," a wise friend reminded me recently. We just have to keep learning over and over and over again. I think that's the definition of life, actually.

The weekend was great.  I took the weekend off from work (sad, but true) and got in a lot of to-do's, errands, reading, yoga, etc. Girls night in was super fun.  We indulged in wine, chocolate, guacamole and hummus while watching Pitch Perfect 1 and 2.  Super fun.  I don't regret indulging and relaxing.  11yo asked to make apple crisp last night so we did that, too, and I indulged again.  Again, don't regret it.  I will, however, focus on calm, normal, no drama eating this week to feel good by the holiday. 

If you don't regret it then enjoy it and move forward!  Calm, normal, no drama is my mantra for the week.  Last year was the first Thanksgiving where I just ate a normal portion of food and didn't feel bloated and yucky.  I want that again.  I try to remember that it's just a dinner!

Just checking in before the holiday.  My plan is:

Don't sample too much will cooking :ph34r:

Thursday - eat a normal sized meal, skip dessert, skip wine

Friday - eat a normal sized meal, wine and dessert, but a reasonable portion

Saturday/Sunday - normal, calm eating

I think I did pretty well last year.  I can do it again. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Of course not. :)

I didn't do horribly, but did eat more desserts than planned.  I'll strive for normal eating this week and no sweets.  Need to get back to calm, non holiday, eating.  And need to remember not to guy any of the treats that are all over in the stores right now because chances are good I'd be the one eating them!

Winter has officially started.  We got a couple inches of snow overnight and the traffic is at a standstill.  I headed out and ended up turning back because I was getting nowhere.  The buses are running way late.  The kids are whining because they think it should be a snow day (seriously - it's 2 inches.  MAYBE 3!).  More on the way tonight, though, so maybe another WAH day tomorrow! :D

I hope everyone had a great holiday!

• Moderators

Yes to calm eating and moving on from indulgences. I'm struggling! And reminding myself that I do not have to behave as if Christmas is a snackdrinkssweets free for all. Calm December. Yes.

Still no snow here. It must be coming, though.

Hi guys!  Mind if I join?  I did my first Whole30 in October and did very well.  Have been eating 90-95% compliant ever since (except for Thanksgiving weekend). Had a stomach bug yesterday so plan on being back on track today.  I've lost 15 pounds and had lots of NSVs but found myself grouchy, grumpy, and slightly depressed the past two days.  Time to go back to good eating.  It really, really does make a huge difference!!

Archived