Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Welcome, Robin.  Feel free to join in any conversation.  I find it helpful to keep my post log going in order to keep myself accountable to my goals.  It's always nice when others post on my log, too, to offer encouragement or suggestions. 

Kind of bloat-y today.  I blame the ham soup.  Our ham is as happy as it can get, but it's still ham.  Unfortunately, we get a ton of it.  Ah well. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much!  I was part of another post whole 30 log but it kind of stalled out and I like accountability.  It's been a great journey so far.  I find that it's easier to get back on plan with whole 30 than anything i've ever done before.  I love ham....had it at Thanksgiving.  I know it has added sugar but it's one of those things that I don't let bother me since I only eat it once in a while.  I try not to be militant about things except when I'm doing an actual whole 30...I still have to live my life and eat but I chose more things that are better for me than are not.....that's a victory in my book!!

So...even though I did well and got through my whole 30 with not too many issues, I didn't really follow the strict guidelines for reintroduction.  I've been feeling sluggish again but don't really know if it's because of all the Thanksgiving festivities, the time change (which my body still has trouble with), or the off plan food. I want the wonderful energy I had a few weeks in!!  I do think I stumbled on something last night, though.  I decided to make an asian shrimp dish but didn't have coconut aminos so I used soy sauce.  First...it was so salty (even though it was low sodium).  Second....I woke up with and still continue to have the stuffiest nose and headache!  I'm wondering if it's the soy.  However, we have had some really crazy weather here in VA....today it's warm again and muggy which usually affects my sinuses.  Don't know.....sometimes I find this confusing :(

Robin - Have you started your own post log?  I find it helpful to keep my own so that I can go back and look at things to see if I can find trends.  I post in others' logs to offer encouragement and suggestions and friendship, but I really do it to keep myself accountable.  For example, the last two years, I went back to the Halloween before that and re-read post after post about how mad I was at myself for eating candy and how I couldn't stop and kept saying I was done but kept getting into it.  Re-reading that a year or two later really helped remind me not to even start.  Sometimes, I can find other trends, too.  Like for your soy question, note it in your post log and then just move on.  You don't have to try to recreate it.  Just note it and then next time it comes up, see what happens.  It's really helpful.  Because sometimes it's not all about the food! LOL  Sometimes it is warm, muggy weather (where are you?  it's NOT warm and muggy here!).  Sometimes, as it was for me, it's the new puppy or the cotton wood trees or a cold.  It's hard to remember that sometimes because we focus so much on food here. 

Ham bloat is gone.  I'll let husband eat the leftovers.  I had brussels for lunch.  We'll see what that does.  Sigh.  I love brussels.  Work is crazy busy this week with everyone freaking out over the upcoming board meeting.  Will be glad when that's done so we can actually get some work done. 

Thanks, Jen.  That is a great idea!  I'm probably going to do another whole 30 after Christmas and do a proper reintroduction.  I'm not doing so bad with my eating but have noticed more joint pain, crankiness, headaches, tiredness recently.  I'm sure it's not all related to food but I just remember feeling so fabulous while doing my whole30.  I live in Virginia and the weather is constantly up and down.  We have had an unusually warm fall.  Today it's in the 50's but the past several days it's been mid to upper 60's and rainy with high humidity.  I'd rather be cold!!!  Thanks for the good advice!

• Moderators

Love the reminder that it's not always all about the food. It is very useful to focus on it for a period of time (hello, Whole30!), and it's also important to return to our deeper complexity as humans in the world with many influences and factors with lessons learned.

Yay for ham bloat gone. I find that pork in general doesn't sit well with me, no matter how happy the pig was or how I eat it. So, I eat it less and less. Though I will be busting into my sugar-free bacon in the freezer when I do my January W30. . . . sometimes it IS worth it, just like Sara said. Brussels do the same to me. Why are they so much harder on us than cabbage? Because they're so tightly wound? It's a mystery.

Funny - pork (other than ham/bacon) sits better for me than beef.  My tummy doesn't really like beef.  We have issues at my house.  We have 1/2 a cow and a whole pig in the freezer.  I don't like beef.  11yo won't eat pork.  Sigh.  At least the other two eat anything.

Very bloated and kind of upset tummy so far this week.  I had a lot of little off roads over the weekend and seem to not want to stick to my plans.  Sigh.  Some were worth it.  Some not.  Despite having kale and eggs at 2:30 in an attempt not to get hungry, I got hungry while at the ski hill Sat night.  The only real food on the bar food menu was turkey wild rice soup.  It was warm and cozy and delicious.  Worth it.  I also got a cuppaccino.  Also warm, but not really worth it.  I made my holiday fudge (it's a tradition) and did not manage to not sample it.  Oh well.  Also had some popcorn while watching all of the hunger games movies Friday night before going to the last one on Saturday.  So, nothing huge or out of control, but I think lots of little off roads didn't agree with me.  Oh, and brussels Sun night.  Sigh.  And I think maybe butter just doesn't agree with me.  I used herb butter on the chicken Sun night which was then made into soup for Mon night.  Should have used ghee.  Trying to just stick with normal food this week and hopefully will feel better soon. 

• Moderators

Since wild rice is really a grass, when I'm not W30ing, I think of it as downright virtuous. Love turkey wild rice soup! Sorry you're not feeling great right now. The nice thing is it will pass. And now you've been reminded that ghee is better than butter for you. 

M - I also don't consider wild rice bad.  It's the cream.... :rolleyes:

Feeling more normal today.  Salmon and sweet potato for dinner felt good.  Need to just stick with calm food and get into the non-treat mindset that works for me.  Once I let the treats in, it's hard not to let them all in.

• Moderators

Once I let the treats in, it's hard not to let them all in.

Yep. I struggle with this all-or-nothing mentality, too. I think this is why super-restrictive programs like W30 appeal to and work for us!

I gave into cookies at church last night.  Because they were there.  And because for some reason I had a hungry day yesterday.  Sigh.  Luckily, it was only a couple small ones and once I when home, there weren't any there to tempt me.  Moving on!

Yep.  I am not letting it get to me but I am trying to resist when I can.  I don't want it to get out of control.  I'm going to need willpower, though.  The kids want to bake.  I will have to package up whatever we make and give it away fast! 

And, I'm thinking of switching up my strategy.  The last two years, I tried pretty successfully to have no sweets at all until Christmas Eve/Day.  I then ended up losing control and mainlining sugar for the next week.  Instead, this year, I'm thinking I'll use restraint but if an occasion comes up where I have a treat I won't beat myself up.  No treats at work, though.  That's another once I start, I don't stop situation.  Then, on the actual days, I will have zero sugar.  I know I'll have wine and a big meal and I won't need a treat.  And, I know that, even super full from dinner, once I start, I won't stop.  I need to not start.  Especially when I'm also having a glass or two of wine.  Anyway, it's a thought.  Gotta try something new.

The weekend should be uneventful, food-wise.  We might go out to dinner, but that doesn't worry me.  No parties or anything, though.  We plan to get our tree.  I want to start wrapping if I can get the kids out of the house.  And we may bake cookies for a party next weekend.  I'll put them in the freezer right away.  The basement freezer! 

Have a great weekend! 

Very quick because work is way too busy!  I had cookies, wine, popcorn, ate out, ugh!  None of it was out of control, but it was too much and I feel icky.  I'm also not sleeping well because work and Christmas have me stressed.  I'm going to aim for zero treats this week.  Just normal, calm food, to get back on track.  And to avoid all of the treats that will be at work this and next week!

Then, on the actual days, I will have zero sugar.  I know I'll have wine and a big meal and I won't need a treat.  And, I know that, even super full from dinner, once I start, I won't stop.  I need to not start.  Especially when I'm also having a glass or two of wine.

Good thoughts!  Drinks definitely lower food inhibitions!

Drink lots of water and you'll be feeling better in no time.  No good for work to be busy during the holidays,  Hope you can contain your stress.

Calm!

• Moderators

I think maybe I've said this before, but what if you changed the language--at least in your mind--from "treats" to something that doesn't seem like a reward? "Sugar bombs" or something like it comes to mind. It just seems extra hard to resist something that sounds so lovely and enticing!

Jen, I'm doing that too.  If I "save up" for sweets it seems to go worse.  Instead I'm allowing myself to indulge when I see something that is really yummy, but so far I've been able to keep it pretty in check (a cookie here and there).  They do make me feel yucky though.  It would be nice if I could avoid them entirely but that doesn't seem to work for me.

Doing ok.  AF showed up early, which helps explain my inability to resist sweets this past weekend and my not so happy tummy.  Wish I'd realized what was going on.  I perhaps could have dealt with it better.  Good news is that it should be easier from here out.

I haven't been sleeping well.  I've been waking up between 4 and 5 every day.  Last time this happened, I'm 99% sure it was the new asthma meds my dr had me try.  This time, there's nothing new.  I'm guessing it's stress from being too busy at work and the holidays coming up.  I don't really need to be stressed about the holidays because I'm pretty much ready.  I just have a few gift cards to pick up and will clean and cook before people come on Christmas Eve.  Otherwise, it's all good.  I think it's that the work busyness is making me stress that I won't be able to relax over the holidays and that makes me mad.  It's silly to let worry about next week make me not sleep this week.  Oh well.  Just trying to relax when I can and get to bed early.

M - Good advice, as usual.  I'll have to think of a different word.  When I say treat, I mean sugary things, alcohol, extra snacks, etc.  Anything out of the norm for me.  I could just call it junk.   

Archived