Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Moderators

Junk is the perfect word!

Dang that old AF. Or rather, dang us. It seems she announces herself, but we still have such a hard time paying attention. . . . 

Cheers to rest, rest, and more rest to restore yourself so you can actually enjoy your holidays. <3

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick check in - wknd involved cookies, wine, cheese and crackers.  And lots of all.  But, other than the party and baking, I ate normally and feel fine, if not great.  Plan is to stick to normal foods this week and to avoid sugar even on the holidays.  And try so hard to eat normal sized meals and not pick away while I cook.  Good luck to us all!

Oh, and work is still crazy busy but I'm in a better place about it.  I can only do what I can do and am not willing to sacrifice a happy holiday with the family.  Therefore, I actually slept until 6 this morning!  Sad that I'm excited about that, but after waking up at 4 something all last week and getting tireder and madder about it, I am happy that I slept well last night.  Hopefully, I can keep this calmer attitude through the next two days.

• Moderators

I find it so helpful to remember that we all struggle this time of year--in one way or another--and that the best thing we can do is roll with it and not beat ourselves up. So glad you're sleeping a bit more! That goes a long way toward calm.

Jen, I hear you on the not sleeping!  It's driving me crazy!  I turned off my alarm because even though I need to go to work, I don't need to get the kids to school but they've been waking up too early and I've been going to bed too late and I just feel AWFUL.  My eating has be eh too.  Hang in there!

Checking in.  I have had many things I shouldn't.  I did not succeed at no sugar on Christmas, but I did succeed at not picking all day.  I had a couple cookies after dinner and that's it.  I didn't sample the sweets ALL DAY LONG like last year.  So, that's progress.  I have had a hard time getting back on track.  I think a January W30ish (not willing to stress if eating out) is a good idea. 

Doing OK.  I had 3 hours of yoga workshop on the 1st which helped keep the wine and sweets somewhat in check on NYE.  Still had fun, though.  And the workshop was awesome.  Still, with all of the holidays and off track eating, my weight is up a bit.  AF is about to arrive, too, which doesn't help.  I'm just taking it in stride and doing my version of W30 in January.  Over the weekend, we had a funeral (husband's aunt) and a soccer game.  Other than that, it was all about getting ready to get back to reality - packed up Christmas, put the house to rights, groceries, cooking/prep, laundry, etc.  I also made time for yoga and reading.  And made a point of blocking all stressful thoughts of work out of my mind. 

It was so nice to be off work or at least WAH for over a week.  It was SO hard to get up at 6 and come to work today.  I really wish I could not work all the time!  Work will be super busy (still!) in January and February, so I will have to try to keep the calm.  The kids were pretty sad that break was over, too. 

Goals/resolutions for January/February:

Do my version of W30 - 3 template meals, limit snacking but don't starve, just do my best when eating out but most of all, keep the calm!

Know that work will be busy but I can only do what I can do.  Set boundaries and maintain time for family, yoga and sleep.  Keep the calm!

Hey, Jen!  We made it past the holidays!  I was off work for 2 weeks and can say I did not have a sugar free Christmas.  I didn't eat on plan every day. However, I didn't overeat or pig out.  And I ate mexican, chick-fil-a, and Chipolte once or twice.  I actually managed to lose 2 more pounds....I would have been happy maintaining.  The greatest thing about whole 30 is that I feel like I have the tools to succeed in this!  Back to work today and back to eating 3 on plan meals a day.  I'm going to try to do the same as you...my version of W30.  Just need to start avoiding the peanut M&M's again....but they sure were good!

Robin - I'm impressed that you managed to lose 2 lbs over the holidays.  I gained 2 lbs. :P

Busy week = no yoga = sad.  I think I can go tomorrow.  Last night, we had high school information night!!!! :blink:  Scary!  We have middle school information night Thursday.  And a soccer parent meeting tonight.  Busy busy busy! 

Had roast beef in the crockpot last night and, as usual with beef, I was kind of bloaty.  Chicken soup tonight should be better.

Hanging in here.  Making mostly good choices.  I had some nuts last night, but I'm fine with it.  I got to yoga last night.  It felt great.  We have Middle School info night (SO sad that I won't have an elementary kid anymore :wacko: ) but hope to get in yoga Fri, Sat and Sun.  I got a ton last week so it's kind of hard to skip days now.  Maybe we'll win the lottery so I can quit my job and go to yoga every day.  That would be lovely!

Still just hanging in here.  We had an impromptu dinner date Saturday and I didn't make the best choices.  But, other than that, I am sticking to my goal of being W30ish in January.  I will have to decide if I care enough to stick to W30ish even when it's not convenient or fun. For now, though, I'm happy just getting back into my normal routine most of the time. 

Trying to go a little hard core this week!  Having cravings....ugh and stomach bloat....super ugh!  And really need to get into a good exercise routine.  That was my January goal...which I have not met yet.  Just trying to figure out what I want to do and where.....dragging my feet :(  

Have a great week, Jen!

Not doing great.  It's the exact same thing as last January.  I ate not so great over the holidays but then got back on track Jan 1 but instead of feeling better, I just feel worse - more bloated, higher weight, etc - every day.  It's so frustrating.  Nothing worked last year.  I just have to try to not let it bug me and keep aiming for calm and normal eating.  So annoying.  I have had some mayo a couple times this week that I had made a couple weeks ago.  Maybe it went bad somehow and is resulting in the bloat?  That's the only non-normal thing I've eaten this week.  I'll toss the rest and aim for super normal eating this next week.  I should make some broth/soup, too.  That might help.  It'll help warm me up at least.  I hope everyone else is doing better than me!

Jen, I'm not doing well either (as you can see from my log) but mine is more caused by NOT eating well (and other things).  I am guessing it just may take time.  Is that something you are eating that has caused stomach problems/bloat for you in the past?  

Every year since I've  been here, I gain 5 lbs to my "winter weight" in the fall and lose 5 lbs to my "summer weight" (which is still 5 lbs higher than my goal, but I've accepted that may never happen and really doesn't matter) in the spring for no logical reason.  But, January seems to be really bad with a very bloated tummy and even extra weight gain.  Maybe it's just a very delayed reaction to the holidays.  The frustrating part is that I know it's not real but sometimes I can't help letting it get to me.  Last year, I struggled and whined and got frustrated and the worst of it passed but I dealt with feeling like something was off for a long time and tried all kinds of things suggested by friends and then for no apparent reason it just changed in the space of days in the spring.  I don't feel depressed AT ALL but I wonder if it's something weather/light/temp related like SAD?  It's weird.

Anyway, I'm doing better.  I went "hard core" per Robin over the weekend eating basically just veggies and fruits and not much else.  Lots of lemon water, broth, soup, juice.  The worst of the bloated tummy, irregularity, etc, has gone.  So, I'm back to the normal for me winter weight, my normal winter clothes fit, my tummy doesn't look/feel 5 months pregnant.  I can live with this.  I'm planning to stick to super simple (eggs n kale, tuna n avocado) whenever I can for as long as I can to just feel better. 

The weekend was good.  It's super cold here so we didn't go outside unless absolutely necessary.  I ran kids around to birthday parties and soccer games.  I went to yoga.  My mom and family came over for dinner.  It was all good.  I'm WAH today due to the holiday (no school).  We have a big meeting tomorrow so I hope the day isn't too hectic!

Have a good week, everyone!

Jen - I'm glad you had some relief from the bloating/digestion issues.  I'm struggling a bit this January too, although in some ways I know what the issue is.  I think there is definitely a seasonal component to it.  I just don't know home much of a component.  I wasn't even going to post, because I'm feeling a bit down about it.  Hang in there, it sounds like you are getting through it.

Hope you are able to get a lot done today!

Still doing ok.  I did eat a bunch of popcorn last night but I'm ok with it.  I had an 11 hour meeting yesterday in a room that was too cold and with food that wasn't enough (fancy but small salad for lunch) being tempted and resisting the muffins and pastries and then caramel  and cheese popcorn in the afternoon.  Even though I had a good dinner when I got home, I think my resistance muscles just got worn out.  I'm happy that I ate fairly healthy popcorn at home rather than the junky sticky sweet stuff at the meeting.  I could have obviously made a better choice, but I'm just moving on.

This weekend should be ok.  I'm going to my sister's birthday dinner/party Saturday night so I'll have to decide if I'm going to indulge or not.  If I do, it will be small. 

Stay warm!

Archived