Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Yesterday, I said no to bagels in the breakroom (normally not an issue but they had cinnamon crunch!) and pizza and other snacks at the dodge ball tournament (also normally not a problem but I was getting hungry).  Instead I waited until I got home and had some sweet potato. 

Today - I'm working at home due to no school / Good Friday so I am hopefully able to sneak in some yoga!  So, pre yoga yogurt/banana, coffee w/ CM.  Lunch eggs n kale.  Dinner salad, chicken soup.  I'll try to get in a walk later. 

My plan for Easter is to just say no to any and all candy.  No No NO!  We're also celebrating 2 birthdays.  I might have a piece of cake.  It'll be homemade and possibly worth it.  Other than that, I'll stick to salad and HB eggs.  I like ham but it makes me very bloat-y from all of the salt so I think I'll just skip it. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it wasn't great.  I stayed out of the candy, but I had too much cake.  I had a small piece at the party and then picked at the leftovers all night.  Bad Jen!  Moving on.  I'm very happy to have stayed out of the candy.  Baking a cake was super fun (I miss baking).  Other than the cake I just ate salad and HB eggs all day so all in all it probably wasn't that bad.  And, I'm back on track today so it's all good.

And, I said no to candy, rolls, ham, more candy, wine, etc.  So, I said no more than yes.  For a holiday, that's not bad.

Because I'm committed to reporting to myself:

Fri ended up also having some carrots and AB - got hungry.  No walk because I worked too late. 

Sat yogurt, banana, coffee w/ CM, yoga, eggs n kale, latte, pork chops, salad, other veg, another yogurt because I got hungry when we stayed up late watching a movie.  Not the best choice, maybe, but it kept me out of the others' ice cream.

Sun HB eggs, asparagus, strawberries, more HB eggs, salad, cake, more cake, more salad, more cake.  And 2 walks!

Today's plan - eggs, kale, coffee w/ CM. salad, tuna, avocado. ground beef/tomatoes, salad, avocado.  at least 1 walk.  yoga.  probably a post yoga something.

Yesterday, I said no to more cake, candy and cookies.  I somehow need to get it out of my house! 

I am back to my winter weight (vacation weight was higher).  So, that gives me hope that I might see my summer weight fairly soon.  I just want to feel comfortable in my clothes.  Saying no to "treats" (aka junk) is the only way to go. 

My challenge coming up is that I'm hosting a baby shower for 36 people :blink:  on Sunday.  I am baking cupcakes and cookies.  As well as making other food, of course.  My goal is to do the baking without sampling and to have just one cupcake at the party.  Then, if there are leftovers, send them away with guests.  Well, I promised to keep one for each of the boys, but they'd notice if I ate theirs so those are safe. :P  Actually, cupcakes are safer than cake anyway because you can't pick away at a cupcake.  You either commit to the whole think or skip it.  Unlike the leftover cake which I could keep taking little corners off of until I'd actually eaten a whole piece.  Anyway, I'm determined to do better.  

Today's plan:  eggs, kale, swpot w/ CB, coffee w/ CM. salad, tuna, avocado. braut, salad, veg.  at least 1 walk.  yoga.  probably a post yoga something (yesterday was yogurt and banana because I didn't eat much dinner.  ground beef doesn't agree with me.  bummer that we have so much of it!).

Yes to the power of No!  Great job not falling into the Easter candy.  That has been your foil and you conquered!

Good luck with the baby shower!  I love to bake, I miss baking.

Also watching Downton Abbey, it is fun and full of drama.

Jen I was thinking of you as I stuffed jellybeans into my mouth, ignoring the headache that was instantly forming. I did fall into the candy and spent a day feeling terrible. Good for you! 

I have total faith you can make those cupcakes without sampling. You've done it before. Force of will! 

Beets - you're right.  I've canned 5 gallons of maple syrup without sampling.  I can bake some cupcakes!  Also, I may not have gotten into the candy trap, but I still overdid the cake.  Next Easter, the goal is to NOT overdo any sugar! 

Today's plan:  eggs, kale, swpot w/ CB, coffee w/ AM. salad, tuna, avocado. chopped salad with HB egg, veg, chicken braut (everyone else is having ham but we have a leftover chicken braut so I'm going to have that instead of the salty ham).  at least 1 walk.  It's rainy today.  I managed to get in a walk at lunchtime with just some drizzle.  I'm hoping it's dry-ish after dinner so we can walk to the elementary science fair instead of drive. 

I have a fitbit.  My sister had one, lost it, bought another, then found the first one.  She gave it to me to try out.  I've just had it a week or so.  I slept with it on for a few nights, saw that I sleep horribly but decided that the thing was actually partially causing the poor sleeping so stopped that.  I thought of maybe entering calories for a few days but got over that thought fast. :P  So, I'm just using it for steps.  It is, however, really helping to motivate me to get out for those walks.  I am realizing just how little I move during a normal day if I don't get out at lunch for a walk.  I go to yoga, but the fitbit doesn't count that, so it's helping me get over a little bad weather or feeling too busy and just get out there!  I'm hoping to build that habit back up again.  It was a good habit.  I walked at lunch for years.  It's just in the past year or so that I've stopped due to being totally overwhelmed at work.  I need to take back my lunch hour! 

I agree that the FitBit is motivating. I would definitely walk a little more just to get my numbers up. I used one of the wrist band ones last year and while it worked it was great. Unfortunately it broke twice. First time they sent me a new one but second time it was out of warranty. Keep wanting to try a different version. It didn't bug me at night so I liked that it tracked my sleep. I know it's not accurate in terms of REM sleep, etc but it it motivated me to get to bed by a certain time so I didn't wreck my average. :)

Maybe I'll look into the most basic one.  

Yes, you need that lunch hour! I keep telling myself I'll be more productive if I take short breaks to walk but I haven't been able to build the habit. 

I totally agree that I'm more productive when I get out for a bit at lunch.  I just need to do it! 

I made 11yo walk to the science fair last night.  It wasn't raining but it was dreary.  He wanted to drive.  I told him we have to walk so I can beat Aunt Mimi!  LOL  We actually had a very nice walk and I think he loved the one on one time where I was focused on the conversation with him and not splitting my attention with making dinner, cleaning up, his brother, etc.  So, double win!  And, I'm still ahead of my sister! :P

Today's plan:  pre yoga yogurt and banana.  yoga (I'm WAH so I snuck out for yoga this morning - Yay!).  coffee w/ CM.  salad/veg.  eggs, kale, swpot w/ CB. scotch eggs (dinners this week are built around having tons of HB eggs!) w/ salad/veg.  at least one walk. 

I'm going to make the cupcake filling today and NOT sample away the day!

Yay for sneaking out for some yoga!

My son complains so much about going hiking, but once we are out there, he loves having our undivided attention.  I'm glad you made him do it!

And I love your competition with your sister!  :)

I ended up going on a walk at lunchtime and then a super long walk after dinner with my husband.  Lots of steps!  I worked at home again today and snuck out for a great yoga class and have plans to walk with a friend tonight during soccer practice.  I am lacking sleep, though.  Last night, we couldn't help ourselves and watched the last 2 episodes of Downton Abbey, which put bedtime at 12:30AM!!!!  Tonight, after soccer practice, 14yo has soccer games at 9PM and 10PM.  That makes me mad.  It's way too late.  But, we committed so we'll go and not get to bed until almost midnight again.  :angry:  And, tomorrow night, we have a fundraiser to attend.  I'll just do my best and hope to get to bed early on Sunday.  If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have not stayed up last night!

The baking is going well so far.  I admit to having licked my finger a couple times but I've made the cupcake filling and baked all of the cupcakes without anymore sampling than that.  Just frosting left.  So far so good!  BTW - the gluten filled cupcakes look beautiful.  The GF cupcakes not so much.  Sigh.  I'm pretty sure it's just my stepmother and sister who are GF so I just need a couple of them to look ok after they're frosted.  The rest can look as ugly as they want!

Today's plan:  pre yoga yogurt and banana.  yoga.  coffee w/ CM.  eggs, kale, swpot w/ CB. salad w/ smoked salmon. walk.

Good for you for making that walk happen. It is so nice and rare to have that uninterrupted one-on-one time when you aren't distracted by 100 things.  And I'm with Sara about the hiking. My kids grumble a little but we have such a nice time of it. (Except in the fall when we were all covered w deer ticks.) 

10pm is mental for a game!!

Bravo on the cupcakes! One of my friends makes GF baked goods that are 100X better than most glutened baked goods. It amazes me everytime. Just thinking about that makes me want to eat one of her cakes so I'll stop thinking about it. 

I always get so mad at myself when I stay up to watch something I'm into. Always seems like a good idea at the time. I am still two seasons behind in Downton. I missed a few episodes and suddenly it had escaped. PBS is so greedy now with their on-demand. We use Hulu and Netflix streaming instead of cable and only have two or three  days to watch the thing after it airs. I was so mad when I missed the latest Sherlock. Three days later iTunes was charging I think $20 for the single episode. I alre3ady give PBS $! 

The weekend was good and bad.  The baby shower was very fun.  Everyone had a good time.  My SIL enjoyed it, which is what matters most.  I had fun getting ready for it with my mom.  I got rave reviews as hostess.  That all matters so much more than the bad, which is that I drank too much wine and ate WAY too much sugar.  Ugh!  I mostly just ate frosting yesterday.  Ugh, ugh, ugh!  I sent as many leftovers home with people as I could and then sent the rest to soccer practice to get rid of them.  14 yo boys are GREAT for getting rid of unwanted cupcakes!  :P   So, keeping life in perspective, I had a fun weekend that involved a fundraiser for the school, time with my mom and a great event at my house.  The rest doesn't matter.  So, moving on.  I am glad the event is over.  I put a ton of work into it and was exhausted when it was over.  But, it meant a lot to me to put on a nice event for SIL and for all of the family who came to my house.  Most of them haven't seen the house since we redid the kitchen so I also wanted to show it off a bit.  :rolleyes:   My husband and kids get credit to for moving tables and chairs and couches and helping clean and set up.  It was a family affair, for sure.  And, then they got kicked out for the actual party. :lol:  I'm happy to get back to normal calm now, though, in life and food.  We have the usual running around this week, but I think I should be able to get in some walks and yoga and plan to eat calm, normal foods.  I have no events anytime in the near future which would require baking.  Which is very good!  I obviously still can't handle it.  I probably never will.  Best to avoid it as often as possible, I think.  I did get rave reviews for my cupcakes, though, which felt good.

Back to reporting my day - eggs, kale, fruit, coffee w/ CM.  salad, avocado, tuna.  walk.  salad with shredded taco chicken and guac.  yoga.  after yoga something.

I'm so glad your event went well!  And glad to hear you are just moving on from the sugar/wine.

I think I'm still on Season 4 of Downton, watching on Prime.  It is so addictive.  I stayed up a bit late watching last night.  I need to do better tonight!

Good calm normal day yesterday. :)

Today's plan: eggs, kale, guac, coffee w/ CM.  salad, avocado, tuna.  walk.  chicken taco soup, salad.  yoga.  after yoga something.

I hope I can get out for a walk today.  It's not a pretty day!

Jen, loved catching up with your log.  I miss baking too!  I used to do it all the time and it was so fun.  I thought about baking for Easter but since we were visiting family that made it hard and I ended up not doing it.  Probably best for me!  I had a few pieces of Easter candy that my kids rejected -- malted chocolate -- but otherwise avoided it and didn't have desserts when visiting family.  I did have dessert two nights on vacation (not my own dessert -- shared) and figured that was worth it.

You'll get back to your summer weight!  That's what I keep telling myself . . .

I also love the walking.  My fitbit is a huge motivator because I hate when I'm below 10,000 steps.  On vacation I was averaging 15,000 per day, which was great, but since I've been back it's been much less.  We got hit with a huge cold spell here so it's hard to be outside!

I did get in a walk but did not go to yoga.  I got home very late and was very tired.  And cold.  Food was not great, either.  Working late, I got hungry and gave in to a packet of oatmeal and two little Reeses eggs.  Then, I wasn't very hungry for dinner so just had a small bowl of soup and salad.  Then, got hungry again and ate a cookie.  Sigh.  I blame AF and being off schedule.  Back on track today.

Today's plan: yogurt, banana, coffee w/ CM.  salad, avocado, tuna.  walk.  eggs, kale.  maybe another walk.

I did get a walk - a long one!  My sister is still smoking me on the steps, though. 

I had a hungry day yesterday and made some less than stellar choices.  I got hungry again in the afternoon but this time exercised my waiting muscles - yay me!  But, after dinner of eggs and kale, I was still hungry so had a yogurt, which is fine for me but should have just had more eggs and kale.  Then, just because it was there, I ate a couple spoonfuls of husband's ice cream.  But, I realized what I was doing and stopped and went to bed, so that's good.  Today, I added some sweet potato and coconut butter to breakfast to hopefully keep the hungries away and make better choices.  I keep going back and forth on that.  Sometimes, adding the swpot is too much and I feel over full.  Then, other times, if I don't add it, I get hungry more often later.  Maybe I'll try having a smaller chunk. 

Today's plan: eggs, kale, swpot w/CB, coffee w/ CM.  salad, avocado, tuna.  walk.  salad, ground beef, tomato sauce.

• Moderators

We all know you're the hostess with the mostess, Jen! Glad your party was a hit. 

Hope you're forgiving yourself for the less-than-stellar in-the-moment choices and spending more energy acknowledging if not celebrating all the kale and eggs and salad. AF is a doozy. And I think we could all use some help forgiving and being gentle with ourselves.

Archived