Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Thanks for the support, Beets. 

Yesterday was lovely.  The devil horned booch assistant is now 9.  He got a bigger bike, a practice pinewood derby race track and his very own spatula (the rubber scraper type this time)! LOL  We biked to a local place for dinner and then had our best friend family (our fRamily) over for ice cream sundaes.  I had a nice big salad at dinner and then enjoyed my coconut ice cream.  I did not snack or pick or go back for more dessert, so I get an A.  :)

I'm working at home today, which is always a challenge on the food front.  But, I will be strong and stick to my meals and no dessert, snacking or picking.  I'll be taking my son to a soccer game this morning and then a big ceremony to kick off the USA Cup soccer tournament tonight.  Our teams usually get beat pretty bad, but it's cool for them to play teams from other countries.  Of course, it's super hot and humid.  This week is always brutal for the kids!  And the poor Alaska team always comes in long sleeve jerseys. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy birthday to your little pancake maker!

Great job on snacking and picking. I can't imagine playing soccer in this weather. I can hardly survive a trip to the playground. A place where you need long-sleeved jerseys in summer sounds pretty awesome right now.

B day Tuesday.  I had dessert.  It was just a small corner of the cake that 9yo got from the restaurant on his birthday but that we saved because we were already planning on ice cream with friends.  But, I didn't need it.  Wanting to taste it isn't "Clean July".  I'll do better today. 

I think this has been a good exercise if only that it's showing me that I have many more exceptions than I'd like.  Treats seem to come up more than occasionally.  If I want to truely eat clean, I need to get my head around just saying no.  I don't need wine and ice cream just because it's date night.  I don't need wine and dessert just because I'm at a birthday party.  I don't need cake just because it's there.  I need to be a little more descriminating about what is worth it and what is not.  Or, I have to decide to just be happy with where I am and stop trying so hard.  My fear with that, though, is that it will be easy to slip back into old habits of grazing and snacking and then the parts of this program I do like will also slip away.  I have to figure out if it's worth it to me to try harder.  In high school, all I cared about was the A.  I had perfect grades, but I didn't have a whole lot of fun.  In college, after being traumatized at getting less than an A for the first time, I decided that having a ton of fun was worth not being perfect.  A few B's didn't hurt.  A few parties helped. :)  I need to find my balance in this endeavor, too, I guess.  Is it worth trying harder?  Or, do I have a little more fun and live with the consequences (i.e. fluff)?  I don't know yet.   

Treats seem to come up more than occasionally. 

And this is ultimately why the statement "everything in moderation" is complete crap. Treats are not treats when they are so commonplace. It is amazing how frequently "special" occasions can come up. 

I would say don't be so hard on yourself. You are learning to ride your bike. That comes with scrapes and bruises once the training wheels are off. Start getting in the habit of asking the questions "Is it special?" and "Is it worth it?" and allowing yourself at least 10 minutes to think about the answers to those questions before giving in.

The lie we believe is that without all these treats we can't have fun. When I started dating my husband he asked me to give up alcohol because it was something that really bothered him. I agreed because his reasoning was good. My friends scoffed and wondered why I would subject myself to less fun. Honestly though I don't need it to have fun. I have just as much fun without it. The same goes for any food really. 

You can find that balance! Just keep working towards it and being honest with yourself and your goals!

Oh, in case I need to look back for reactions, I should mention I had a few triscuits with dinner yesterday. Concsious choice. Not reaction that I know of. I also am eating yogurt this week. I *think* my throat clearing annoying habit is worse because of it. Allergies are bad with or without dairy. Because I'm dense, it took my sister asking me if I thought it could be the dog living in the house that is making my allergies so bad this summer. Duh! Of course it's the dog. I wake up MISERABLE (even if the windows were not open) and seem to get better during the day (while away from the darn dog). She needs to get bigger and move outside!

Thanks for the support, Bethany and Beets!

http://robbwolf.com/2013/07/11/9010-8020-4060-whats-paleo-percentage/?inf_contact_key=f1aa981de99abfec3da52e809de6184ed0d28474707de2ecb2f0410a882f6f4d

I just read this article that Nadia posted on Jess's log.  I'm linking it here, too, so I don't forget where it is if I want to read it again.  I like it for two reasons.  One, it shows me that I am doing pretty well.  I haven't had cheat days or cheat meals.  I've mostly had "one treat food."  A few bites of cake after a compliant meal and before being bombarded by and resisting free ice cream at the soccer tournament (in 90 degree sun, by the way), is pretty good.  Even at the birthday party, a little wine and a tiny piece of a super yummy homemade dessert after eating a compliant meal and avoiding the cake and pizza and bruchetta is pretty good.  So, that is good.  The second thing, though, is that the artical reminds me that I need to actively savor those one treat foods and if a bite isn't awesome, I stop.  I need to learn how to do that.  Good things to think on today.

Good day yesterday - A.  I got in almost an hour of yoga while I let the boys play video games. :ph34r:  I went to bed earlyish, but woke up at 4 too congested to go back to sleep.  Ugh!  The dog has lost her charm and needs to move outside!  I am planning another low key day today with no temptations. 

I'm calling today an A day (so I don't get tempted later!).  Two in a row!  I even got quite hungry this afternoon, but I just drank my booch and waited for dinner. :)  The weekend is always a challenge for me.  Tomorrow should be fine.  No need to have anything less than a clean day.  Saturday, my mom and family are coming to visit to see the 9yo for his birthday.  There will be wine.  I'm ok with that.  I changed the pizza plan to brauts, so I should be able to have a clean meal.  And I won't have dessert.  Sunday should be clean.  That is the plan and I'm sticking to it! 

I was itchy last night.  I'm not sure why, but in case I want to look back, this is what I ate for dinner:

ground pork w/ chili powder, cumin, garlic pdr, paprika

bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, avocado

plantain tostada - plantain, coconut oil

pepper jelly

All stuff I've eaten tons, so the itchiness may have been unrelated to food, but noting it anyway.

I got hungry before bed, but just went to bed anyway.

I was rewarded by seeing 139 on the scale this morning.  First time I've gotten below the 140 mark for a LONG time and first loss since the first week in June.  I'm hoping that will help motivate me to keep on program this weekend.

I started my day right with a Jillian DVD.  Doing more strength will help the fluff, too.

You're right, the itchiness may not be food related at all. You have a great plan in place for the weekend. I too find that having a plan is important for me.

That's awesome that you're so motivated by a new low number. I'd love to see that! I will use you as inspiration today!

I like your thoughts on the article. You are right. Even my "bad" days don't include full-on "cheat meals," usually just bits and bites. I guess it feels more out of control because of the way my stomach reacts to dairy--or whatever the offending ingredient is.

Congrats on moving the scale. Whatever the pros and cons of the scale may be, seeing a lower number is definitely motivating. I'm almost at what was forever my "goal weight," but I still have a squishy belly. I have really fallen off the wagon in the exercise dept. I blame the weather but it's really just a question is making myself do it.

Friday was an A day.  I had a very hungry day, so I ended up having four meals, but they were template meals and not snacks, so I'm good.  I had exactly the same dinner as Thursday and was mildly itchy, but may not have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.  That could be the dog, too, of course.  Or pollen.  Or sun. 

Beets - I have a feeling that the squishy mom belly will not go away ever.  Or, at least not without some serious workouts.  Which I don't have time for.  I, for one, have to just accept that my belly will always be squishy.  At least until I decide I care enough about it to pick up the workouts.  Which I don't for now.  I have no intention of wearing a bikini anytime soon. :)

Plan for today is template for all meals plus wine tonight with my mom and brothers.  No dessert.  No snacks.  No grazing.  I can do it!

Good news is that Saturday was an A.  I didn't snack, graze or pick, even while my company was eating chips and salsa.  I waited for dinner.  Yay! 

Bad news is that I slept awful.  I woke up at 1am and couldn't fall back to sleep until almost 4.  That hasn't happened since pre W30.  I'm sure it was the wine and the stuffy nose, but I'm not sure why it would happen this night vs the other few nights I've had wine and a stuffy nose.  I read for awhile and then had a larabar when i couldn't deny any longer that I was hungry.  I would have tried to find a better option, but my kitchen is right over my guest room and I didn't want to be banging around in there and waking up my mom.  So, I went for the quiet option.  I'm ok with that.

I'm aiming for an A today, too.  We are going to lunch with my gma.  I will do the best I can there.  Otherwise, the plan is just don't snack/pick/graze/dessert.  I will do it!

I love your grading. I've been striving happily to play along and my days end up being A. Thanks for the game.

It sounds like the forces just collided to give you a restless night. Isn't it great that it's just occasional now instead of often? I slept 8 hours last night which is a miracle. Love it,

Sorry you had such a bad nights sleep. I agree with Calee...I still have them from time to time but nowhere near as frequently as I used to. Larabar is usually what I eat when I realize I'm hungry and it is the middle of the night too. Great job on no snacking yesterday!

Thanks for the commiseration. :)

For records sake: lunch was Perkins.  I had eggs, roasted veg (who knows what oil), a small amt of hollandaise sauce (butter) and 1/3 a muffin.  I'm ok with the choice.  I don't feel the best, though.  It could be lunch.  It could be the lack of sleep.  It could be too much coffee.  It could be all of the above.

I have cooking and laundry to do today.  I will not snack or graze.  Today will be an A day and then I will go to bed early!

A for Sunday!  Yay!  I felt better by dinner.  I never felt awful.  Just off.  I did a lot of cooking yesterday, prepping for the week.  We had quinoa for dinner, along with salmon, salad and green beans.  The quinoa was fine.

So, for last week, I had A's 6 of 7 days!  It was a very clean week and it brought my avg up to 93%.  I'm going to aim for another great week.  I have a work dinner tomorrow where I'll do the best I can.  1 glass of wine and 3 bites of dessert (if it's worth it) otherwise, do my best to be compliant and have a clean day the rest of the day. Other than that, I don't have anything this week that should take me off track. 

I need to find time to do some exercise.  I walk a lot, but know I need to firm up with some strength workouts.  It's just hard to find the time.  I'm usually pretty tired by the time the kids go to bed and am ready to either veg on the couch with my husband (we're working our way through Star Trek Next Generation season 3 - his love, not mine, but it makes him happy to share it) or a book.  And it's hard to drag myself out of bed early.  Goal is to make time at least 2 x this week.

Great job Jen! Finding time to do some strength work will be really rewarding! Is there something you can do with the kids? Make it fun for everyone? I find the only way I stick to my workouts is when I schedule and prioritize them. But I don't have kids yet so obviously easier for me. 

It's fairly easy to do cardio with the kids.  We can bike or walk or whatever.  It's harder for strength.  I usually do videos and having them around annoys me (they're loud and usually start throwing balls around the room) :)  My younger one sometimes likes to do yoga with me, but he doesn't last very long.  It's cute while it lasts, though.  I know I just need to make time. 

I may have figured out a way to get in some more exercise while keeping the kids happy.  A friend and I are going to join the Y with a trial membership where we basically get 2 months for the price of 1.  We can try a bunch of classes and see if it's worth it.  And, the kids are old enough to be unsupervised in the pool (they have lifeguards), the gym and the teen hangout room (during certain hours), so they can run around the Y while I try body pump and fitness yoga and spin.  We'll see how it works out.  Good idea, Bethany!

Yay! Great for you and for your kids!

Personally my gym membership is such a worthwhile investment for me. Even though I only go to BodyPump 2x a week there I feel like I get my money's worth and I'm building some really good relationships there too. People that keep me moving and accountable. Hopefully I can get myself to the level to get certified to teach before I need kids club because its free for instructors.

A for Monday.  I signed up for a trial at the Y and went to a yoga-ish class.  I miss hot yoga.  But, variety is good, right?  I have almost 2 months to try as many classes as I can and decide if it's a good fit.  I have a hard time justifying the cost when I have a workout "room" in the basement with a treadmill, elliptical, tv/dvd and space to do videos.  I just have a hard time getting down there.  I'm hoping that if the Y can be a family thing we do with our friends, it will be easier to go during waking hours.  Plus, variety is good. 

Work dinner tonight.  I plan on making good choices with what is there and not worrying about it beyond that. 

B+ for Tuesday.  I was very hungry in the afternoon, but I toughed it out and didn't have a snack.  I think my lunch didn't have enough fat.  I'll remedy that today.  At the work dinner, I skipped the appetizers and cocktail hour cocktails (I had club soda).  I did have a glass of wine with dinner and part of the dessert (picked at the delicious chocolate caramel pecan sauce, but tried to avoid the ice cream).  I definitely didn't have enough vegetables.  I hate fancy dinners for that reason.  3 pieces of asparagus might look pretty on the plate, but it does not give me enough veggies!  I had the scallops.  There was some sort of creamy sauce on them.  The steak might have been a cleaner choice, but I didn't want steak.  I am ok with my choices given my options.  The B is for the dessert and cream sauce.  The + is for not eating the ice cream, bread basket, appetizers or cocktails. :)  I definitely did not overeat, but my tummy was off a bit last night and still this morning.  I think I'm just not used to rich food.  It's not horrible.  Just noticable and caused sleep to not be great.

Today will be a good, clean day.  I need to get out for a walk, too.  I worked through lunch yesterday and didn't get out.  I need to get out today for my sanity.

Also noting that my throat clearing habit is still bad even though I am not eating yogurt this week.  I know it's allergy related, but also think it might be habit, too, that I somehow need to break.  I really had hoped that it was food related and the W30 would make it go away.

Archived