Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A for Thursday.  Zumba was lots of fun and very fast!  We'll definitely go again.  The boys didn't really like the pool.  The life guards wouldn't let them rough house (as they shouldn't).  They'll try the gym next time to play basketball.

A for Friday.  I was very tired and a little cranky, but sucked it up and took the boys to the 11yo's end of season soccer party.  I ate before I went, avoided the pizza and chips and alcohol and cake and made small talk with the other soccer parents.  Then, I high tailed it home as soon as I could.  I just want a night off!  We're making sure we don't have any plans tonight.  No sleepovers.  No nothing.  We're going to veg at home and have family movie night. 

I went to the Y this morning and tried mat pilates.  It was SO BORING!  If I weren't so Minnesota Nice, I would have left in the middle.  It was not a workout at all and the instructor chit chatted through the whole thing about her cats and all kinds of other stuff.  It was bad.  So, the yoga-ish class was ok, zumba was fun, pilates was a snore.  I'm going to try turbo kick tomorrow, I think.  That at least won't put me to sleep and the instructor won't be able to chitchat. 

I'm getting lots of kitchen time today.  I made turnip "potato" salad for dinner tonight and am working on the 9yo's s'mores ice cream cake for his family birthday party on Tuesday.  So far so good resisting any tastes.  We had French Toast for lunch, using the last of the cinnamon bread I bought last summer.  I had 2 pieces along with more eggs and cucumbers.  I'm ok with that choice, but it is kind of sitting in my stomach like a rock. 

A for Saturday.  I licked a chocolate finger once, but otherwise, remembered not to taste.  :)  It helped having little helpers who wanted to lick spoons and bowls.  The cakes are all set for the party on Tuesday.  I also have squash soup made for the week and then some.  Zoodles draining for dinner tomorrow.  Cauliflower rice made for dinner tonight.  Lots of cooking today.  Love it!

Despite a nice streak of A's, my digestion is back sliding and my weight is up.  Sigh.  I'm not doing anything different (issue started before the French Toast).  I guess I'll just power through and hope it resolves itself. 

I'm going to try Turbo Kick tonight at the Y.  It should be fun.  I used to do kickboxing classes and videos pre kid (in the Billy Blank infomercial days), so it will be a blast from the past. 

A for Sunday.  I was bloated from too much cabbage and cauliflower (made paleo fried "rice") last night.  I wanted to feed the uncomfortable belly, but I resisted.  It wouldn't have helped.  I had a great week of A's.  I got my average up to 94%.  I'm bummed that it hasn't made a difference in the fluff department.  I thought it was, but that must have been a fluke.  So sad.  But, I don't feel deprived or restricted, so I think I'll just keep doing the grade thing through August and see if it makes any difference over a longer time.  I'd like to defluff and I'd like to lose 5 lbs, but I don't want it badly enough to go back to counting calories or measuring food or restricting anything.  If nothing else, I know I can maintain where I am by just not snacking, picking and desserting.  And with a few special occasions thrown in.  That's all good. 

I'm also hoping the Y membership helps.  I'm trying to make the most of my short time and try as many classes as possible.  The variety and different classes should shake things up and hopefully help with the fluff.  I am pretty sure I'll let it go when my trial is up (9/15) because I can work out in my own workout room when I watch my shows that will start back up in the fall.  I don't think I'll want to go out in the cold to go to the Y when I have a nice little workout room in the basement that requires no cold commute.  If I'm going to go out in the cold, I'm going to go to hot yoga.  The Y is a nice change of pace right now, though.

Challenge this week is a family birthday party tomorrow night to celebrate 9yo and husban's sister.  I plan to eat a compliant meal and try not to eat too much of it and then have a small piece of the 9yo's (i.e. dairy free) ice cream cake.  We made two - a regular ice cream one and a chocolate coconut milk sorbet one.  I'll eat that one.  Anyway, these parties are usually very boring for me and I tend to pick at the food and overeat because I'm bored and a little stressed.  My goal is to not do that.  Just eat my dinner and be done.  No alcohol, either.  The in laws visiting is not a special enough occasion.   :P

B for Monday. I had a granola bar.  It was technically part of lunch - I didn't feel satisfied after eating my lunch so ate one of the granola bars I had in my desk from preW30 days, but it wasn't the best choice and it made me gassy.  I need to trust myself to live through hunger if it comes rather than proactively stuffing myself.  I'm still learning.

Today will be good.  I'm determined.  I will not snack, pick, graze.  I will have a small dessert (this was one of my preset exceptions to the Clean July), but will not go back for more.

I'm going to let Clean July continue into August.  Mostly because I don't know what else to do and am not willing to do a W30 right now.  A month of almost 95% clean did nothing to remove the fluff.  I'm disappointed by that.  But, I didn't gain, either, and like Bethany said, I seem to be in a calm groove, so for now, I will just keep on going.

Body Flow last night was good.  11yo and his best friend came along.  It was pretty funny watching them try to do yoga moves.  They were good sports.  If it turns out that the kids like the Y more than I thought, I may have to keep the membership.  We'll see. 

Jen, perhaps it is time to clean out the desk and restock with Paleo friendly emergency foods. I don't think we should have to deal with being hungry just because we didn't plan enough lunch. I try to keep some not ideal but at least compliant foods in my office or purse all the time.

Totally agree that I should clean out my desk.  And that I shouldn't go hungry.  I brought some Larabars and put them in the freezer at work.  I've had a few go bad recently, which is why I didn't have anything worthwhile in my drawer yesterday.  Fresh whole foods are tough to keep in a desk drawer!  I figure a frozen larabar will serve in a pinch.  I can wait 1/2 hour while it thaws.

What I should have said above is that if I'd just waited 20 minutes, I probably wouldn't have been hungry so there was no need to resort to the bar in the first place. That's what I meant by trust myself to live through hunger.  It's not always real. 

Both good points, though!

A for Tuesday.  I had my slice of smores ice cream cake and it was good.  I was awfully tempted to swipe a bit more when I was packing up the leftovers, but I resisted so that I could keep my A. :)  Reporting my "grade" here really helps me remember my goals (most of the time).  Tummy was a little rumbly last night.  Probably because of the sugar and whatever ickiness is in the coconut sorbet.  I will resist the leftovers and go back to normal today.

So, Clean July left me in exactly the same place weight and fluff wise as it started.  Sigh.  I am still moving forward into Clean August, though, because I'd rather stay in the same place than move backwards and I'm not willing to do a W30 right now. I will think on my Clean August goals, but they will be much the same as Clean July.

One good thing from Clean July is that this is the first month I haven't finished an entire jar of coconut butter and an entire jar of almond butter.  I had both as part of my meals when they made sense (CB on my sw pot each morning, for example), but never went after either as a snack or dessert. 

I would say that your Clean July was a resounding success! Sometimes the mental goals and behavior goals are harder to meet and much sweeter when met than physical goals are. Great job! One more day and then on to Clean August!

Sigh.  Confession time.  I get an F for Wednesday.  It was bad.  I dove headfirst into the sugar bowl.  It started with leftover French Toast for dinner.  I was ok with that choice.  Then, as I was dishing up leftover ice cream cake for the kids, I thought I would like some.  So, I had a small sliver.  I think it was kind of like not studying for the final exam because you already have an A locked up for the class.  Not good!  Because, then I had another sliver.  And then husband came home from a meeting talking about the caramel pie they served and I thought ooh, I have a bit of leftover caramel that I should have put on my ice cream cake, that would be good.  So, I served myself a small dish of ice cream (dairy this time) with caramel sauce.  Then another.  All FOUR desserts were small, but still, it was FOUR desserts.  It was classic binge eating.  Keep going back for more.  By the 4th, I felt ill and had to throw out the rest.  I have a classic sugar hangover.  I'm super irratible.  My tummy isn't happy.  My allergies are worse than usual (they are never good - they are just worse today).  I am so mad at myself!

Ok, I confessed (by confessing to you all, I am really confessing to myself and owning my actions.  I need to do that).  Moving on.  Clean July didn't end clean, but overall, I earned myself an A with 91% clean based on my rules.  That is a good thing.  I had a great run near the end of calm clean eating.  One day doesn't negate the good.

Clean August begins today!  Rules are the same as Clean July. 

Eat to the template - 3 meals, no snacks, plenty of protein, fat and veg

No snacks (mini meals when hungry are ok)

No dessert (including fruit after dinner)

No blowing the final exam!

Known challenges:

We are going to the cabin for a week.  I will eat cinnamon bread for breakfast with my eggs and veg.  I will not snack.  I am allowed 1 s'more OR one glass of wine each night.  NO GOING BACK FOR MORE.  And extra credit if I skip the treat.

I'm not sure if we'll go to the State Fair in August or Sept, but there are no rules and no template and no grading for that day. State Fair day is a once a year, totally worth it, no holding back, free for all.  I will get a bucket of cookies and enjoy every one I choose to eat!

So here we go for a Clean August! 

Oh Jen so sorry that last day was so bad, but good for you for recognizing that one day doesn't undo all of your good work previously. Love the addition of "no blowing the final" to your rules and the extra credit. I hope you get through August with an A+!

A for Friday.  Body Pump was fun.  I'm not sore today, but I am aware of the areas that I think will be sore tomorrow.  Trying right now to not have a snack.  I can wait for dinner.  Even if I made a mini meal (which I don't really want.  I want a snack), it would probably ruin my appetite for dinner.  Need to just wait.  We're leaving in 20 minutes for church.  I can wait 20 minutes.  Then, I won't have a choice but to wait until dinner.

Don't tell me that! (being more sore after the 2nd class) :)  I'm not too bad today, either,  I'm going to go again tomorrow. 

A for Saturday.  I resisted the urge to have a snack before church and was just fine waiting until dinner.  No embarrassing tummy growls. It's good to remember that sometimes wanting a snack is not really hungry. 

I've got a B going for today.  I've been picking my way through my weekly food prep.  It's not bad food, it's just a bad habit.  After picking my way through making homemade coconut butter, tuna salad, sauteed greens, I wasn't very hungry for lunch, but I stopped the cooking/picking, heated up some leftover salmon (I'd had enough fat and veg), ate it and now I am done until dinner!  I find it easier to resist picking when I do my cooking after lunch rather than starting it before.  Another thing to remember.  Anyway, I only have a few things left to make, but I will do my best to not sample anything.

B for Sunday.  Too much picking while cooking.  I did do an impressive cookup, though.  I made: homemade coconut butter (like the jar stuff better, but may keep trying), boiled eggs, sauteed greens/cabbage, tuna salad, homemade mayo, roasted sw potatoes, pesto, zoodles and cleaned up a bunch of veg for snacking.  We're pretty set for the week, which feels great.  It makes life so much easier to have so much of my food prep done on Sunday. 

What if I also told you that after the 2nd class was the most sore I've ever been after Body Pump...does that help? I've been going 2-3x a week almost every week for over 2 years now. Love how strong and powerful it makes me feel!

Great job on that cookup! I've been training myself not to pick while I cook mostly because my husband's food is anything but compliant so I need to not have an automatic response to pick at food. Sounds like you balanced it out well though and have a new note about food prep after a meal and not before.

Yeah, I'm going to my 2nd Body Pump tonight.  The only thing still sore is the inside of my left elbow.  That kind of started last night, so I'm not sure if it's a delayed reaction to Body Pump or overuse during that big cookup.  :)  I'll ask the instructor tonight which moves to go easy on to avoid aggravating it.  I'm hoping to go 2x a week until my time is up.  Still not sure if we'll stick with the Y.  Soccer for both boys starts at the end of August and I just can't see when I'd have time to go. 

A for Monday.  Pesto zoodles with spicy italien chicken sausages and olives are delicious!  Body Pump / Body Flow both last night.  I'm not sore yet, but I am aware of my muscles, if that makes sense.  I have a feeling my arms will be sore.  I took it super light on the biceps track to not aggravate my inside elbow.  I'm going to go again Friday and then hopefully Sunday because I can't make the evening session next Monday.  Hopefully, by then, 2 days between is enough.

A for Monday.  Pesto zoodles with spicy italien chicken sausages and olives are delicious!  Body Pump / Body Flow both last night.  I'm not sore yet, but I am aware of my muscles, if that makes sense.  I have a feeling my arms will be sore.  I took it super light on the biceps track to not aggravate my inside elbow.  I'm going to go again Friday and then hopefully Sunday because I can't make the evening session next Monday.  Hopefully, by then, 2 days between is enough.

Yum! That does sound good! What you say about your muscles totally makes sense. I have found the bicep and shoulder tracks the two hardest to increase my weights on. I've always been weaker in the upper body combined with those being assisting muscles in everything you do earlier in the class makes it hard. Sounds like you have a good schedule planned!

B for Tuesday.  I ate watermelon after dinner while cutting it up for Nat'l Night Out (I forgot I was trying not to do that).  I also licked a couple fingers of candy coating and ate my one ok'd cake pop.  So, the cake pops...  We dipped and sprinkled them last night.  One broke while we were dipping, so I decided to make that one my one cake pop so I could see what they taste like before serving them to a bunch of kids.  It tasted ok, I guess (pure sugar), but it made my stomach wonky for the rest of the night.  In fact, it's not really normal yet.  I'm guessing that it's all the artificial ickiness that is in the candy coating.  It could be just the sugar, but one cake pop worth of sugar shouldn't upset my stomach so much.  Though there is a lot of sugar packed into that cake pop.  I think the kids will like them and be ok as they are all used to junk and sugar.  I need to do some soul searching, though, about what I'm willing to serve to others that I wouldn't want to eat myself.  Yes, it's a special occasion and it's what my kid wanted and normally he eats better than any kid I know, but still.  Ick!  The most interesting thing about the cake pop experience is that I totally woulld have eaten another and another and another if I hadn't "publically" committed to only eating one.  Even though my stomach felt icky, I still wanted more.  Sugar is bad.  For future reference: Cake pop = NOT worth it!

Kid birthday party tonight - jumping at a trampoline park and then back to my house for cake pops and watermelon.  9yo is super excited.  I am excited for it to be over! :) 

I need to do some soul searching, though, about what I'm willing to serve to others that I wouldn't want to eat myself.  

I totally get this. I'm in the same boat. Especially where my husband is concerned. The whole debate of is it more loving to feed him what he wants or more loving to feed him what he should eat. At Halloween I spent a lot of money on candy that was at least all natural ingredients because I couldn't bring myself to hand out candy that I wouldn't eat myself or let my children eat if I had them. Yet, when my community group has brought dinner to the teen center I've made my contributions with the cheapest "food" options because of the bulk needed. Kind of makes me feel like a hypocrite though.

Great realizations about the cake pops over all. 

Today was awful.  9yo was HORRID to the nanny today and as a result, we cancelled his birthday party.  Yes, it was that bad.  I really would like to dive into some chocolate.  But, I know that won't actually make me feel better, so I am resisting.  For now.  I'm just so disappointed in him.  His behavior this summer has been not great.  For some reason, he has not clicked with the nanny (the other three kids - 11yo and 2 from a friend's family) do fine with her, so I know she's not an ogre.  He is just testing and testing and testing her.  She feels so bad.  She's only 16 and doesn't know what to do with him.  He's the more spirited of my kids, but this behavior is over the top.  I hope that it sinks in now that he has to behave. Grrrr!

Archived