Whole30, the Whole way through July!!!

Ra_k_

After spending the last 7days mulling over the Whole30 program, and working out if it will fit into my lifestyle for the next 30 days. I am here and on DAY 1!!!!!

A little about me. I'm a 26yr old female, who loves being active. I weight train 4-5 times a week, and try and do sprints 1-2 times a week, and throw in the odd hill climb. I lead an active lifestyle, i walk to work most days, i try to be as active as possible at work, which can be difficult in my office job. I have also been diagnosed with Arthritis of the spine. i don't have any symptons at present, but they can come and go. I have been on high doses of fish oil which helps. i am also trialing a new vitamin and mineral drink to see if that can help.

I'm gluten and lactose intolerant, so as result tend to eat very closely to Paleo. I'm in the process of completing my studies in nutrition, with a focus on naturopathy. I've given up sodas, and artifical sugars in the last 2-3months.

I'm 163cm and weigh around 64kg. I'm going on my dream holiday to Europe in 1month and 22days (haha i'm been counting since 26weeks). I'm worried about my holiday and not being able to control my meals, as i'm going on a tour for 20days, and its mostly catered. I will need to find some ideas for eating over there. But in the meantime i'm looking to get down to 60kg before my holiday, and i feel this Whole30 program might just do it for me :)

So here is Day 1's food:

pre-workout: small piece of chicken

post-workout: 50g berries, 1/4 cup egg whites, 40g sweet potato mash, 1 cup water, mixed together like a smoothie. The sweet potato doesn't have a flavour when mixed with the berries, and this was actuallly really delicious. i used to love my protein powders mixed with egg whites, but i think this might be a new favourite....

Breakfast: 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 cup bean sprouts, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 70g chicken, 1/4 capscium

Lunch: 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 5g minced garlic, celery stalk, carrot stalk, 50g boccoli, 100g bokchoy, 1c bean sprouts, 1/2 cup zucchini, 12g sultanas, 125g chicken

Dinner: 1 t coconut oil, 5g minced garlic, 50g broccoli, 50g green beans, 1/2 cup onion, 70mls coconut milk, 100g white fish

Snack: 1 black tea sweetened with a dash of pineapple juice, 1 serving of tangy tangerine (vitamin and mineral supplement)

No real snacks is going to be hard for me to get my head around. i'm used to eating a few meals a day. But i'm feeling greta soo far. So bring on the rest of JULY!!!

"if you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain"

You'll get plenty of that if you come to Ireland on your travels! Have a great W30!

Actuallly i'm an irish Citzen. i have dual citzenship, and will making my first trip to Ireland in September, I CAN'T WAIT!!! I'm super excited :)

Day 2:

I'm feeling great today, freezing, as its minus 5 degree celsius, but great!

I had a killer leg workout this morning, although didn't improve on any PR's i was still focused.

Food review of yesterday, i did snack on sultanas and organic cocounut, and a few nuts (almonds, cashews, macadamias, and sunflower seeds). I enjoyed all the foods, particulary dinner, i added a tiny bit of curry to the coconut milk, and it was sooo yummy!!!

Todays food will be a repeat of yesterday, as i'm a creature of habit.

post-workout: 50g berries, 1/4 cup egg whites, 40g sweet potato mash, 1 cup water, mixed together like a smoothie. The sweet potato doesn't have a flavour when mixed with the berries, and this was actuallly really delicious. i used to love my protein powders mixed with egg whites, but i think this might be a new favourite....

Breakfast: 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 cup bean sprouts, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 70g chicken, 1/4 capscium

Lunch: 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 5g minced garlic, celery stalk, carrot stalk, 50g boccoli, 100g bokchoy, 1c bean sprouts, 1/2 cup zucchini, 12g sultanas, 125g chicken

Dinner: 1 t coconut oil, 5g minced garlic, 50g broccoli, 50g green beans, 1/2 cup onion, 70mls coconut milk, 100g white fish

Snack: 1 black tea sweetened with a dash of pineapple juice, 1 serving of tangy tangerine (vitamin and mineral supplement), coconut pieces and sultanas

I'm having a fund raiser with my brother to raise money for Cancer Council here in Australia, and we're going to supply the food, so i'm going to dig around this site, and look for delicious paleo foods so i can enjoy the foods as well.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Smarter people than I should, ahem, weigh in, but are you weighing your foods? If so, why?

i weigh my food, because i like to know exactly what i'm eating. if i didn't i'd over eat for sure. Its my way of keeping me honest. I do also like to know how many calories i'm getting per macro, so how many carbs, protein and fats i'm eating.

Just my little way to make sure i'm keeping me on track :)

Day 3:

I write these in the mornings, so yesterday things changed after i had posted. Basically in the afternoon i could not get enough food, i ate what feels like a ton of sultanas and coconut flakes. And to top it all off i was exhausted. I had dinner at 6pm and went straigh to bed afer, i doozed off around 8.30pm after watching some masterhchef on tv. Surprisingly, i only woke up once, and that was around 10.30pm, after that i slept straight through to my alarm, and that almost never happens.

I also noticed today that i woke up with a flat tummy even after eating what felt like a lot of sultanas. I guess things didn't impact the way i had expected. Strange.......

Today i'm feeling good, a little sleepy, and a little gassy :mellow: but i'm sure that will pass. Otherwise i'm not noticing any other massive changes.

Food is very similar to the other 2 days.

Breakfast: 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 70g chicken, 1/4 capscium

Lunch: 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 5g minced garlic, celery stalk, carrot stalk, 50g boccoli, 100g bokchoy, 1c bean sprouts, 1/2 cup zucchini, 12g sultanas, 125g chicken, coconut flakes

Snack: 1 black tea sweetened with a dash of pineapple juice, 1 serving of tangy tangerine (vitamin and mineral supplement), coconut pieces

Determined today to just stick to plan and not eat anything more, specially fried fruit and nuts.....

great job, Bec...you are doing awesome. I think Melissa would disagree with weighing foods. If you are eating to become satiated, it will become a natural part of your patterns (not overeating). But some would also argue, yours would be easiest to tweak. If you note sudden weight gains after your W30, you could drop the amount of foods.

Glad to see you started your journey...How are you feeling physically and emotionally?

We are in sweltering heat here in the US...I see you are in Australia....minus 5 degrees C? Wow...guess it's winter over there!

Thanks Donna :)

i'm a calorie counter from way back :| much to my detriment sometimes. I like to know how many carbs i'm eating, which is mostly why i weigh things. But as i'm now on day 4 i'm finding that i'm starting to feel satiated from the amounts i'm eating during the day, its when i get home i'm finding it hard not to eat just for the hell of it. So i've been having dinner at 6pm haha granny hour, and getting to bed around 6.30pm and just reading till bed time. This seems to be working, cos i'm not hungry once i get ready for bed, haha clearly its all in my head.

I'm feeling great, a little sleepy come afternoon, but i'm feeling lighter, and my belly doesn't seem as bloated by the end of the day. Although on a personal note i've had a lot of gass, haha is that normal?

OH My Gosh its freezing over here, i walk to work in the frost and today it was -6D celsius- CRAZY cold!!! I'll trade you warmth any day ;)

Todays food is much the same. Finally i'm out of sultanas and DO NOT plan to buy any more. So no more over eating on dried fruit. I also bought some flavoured tea to help me through the afternoon slumps.

I'm off to the farmers markets this weekend, which i'm suer excited about :D I'm also planning to mix things up for lunch next week, and do some cooking experiments in the kitchen this weekend, thanks to PINTEREST, best site ever (Ra.kearl, if you feel like following), juicing, is on the top of the list.....

post-workout: 50g berries, 1/4 cup egg whites, 40g sweet potato mash, 1 cup water, mixed together like a smoothie

Breakfast: 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 70g chicken, 1/4 capscium

Lunch: 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 5g minced garlic, celery stalk, carrot stalk, 50g boccoli, 100g bokchoy, 1c bean sprouts, 1/2 cup zucchini, 12g sultanas, 125g chicken, coconut flakes

Snack: 1 black tea sweetened with a dash of pineapple juice, 1 serving of tangy tangerine (vitamin and mineral supplement), coconut pieces, pineapple pieces, can of tuna, and pina colada tea.

Bit of an update on today DAY 4: i'm experiencing the startings of a blocked nose, and the roof of my mouth is itchy, also i'm super tired, and its only 1.45pm <sigh> still hours til bed time. I have just eaten my lunch and thought that might give me some much needed energy. Would this stage be the carb flu people talk about???

I didn't eat a whole lot of carbs before, maybe 100-150g per day. i'm just not sure if this is all normal, or if in fact i'm starting to get a cold :(

Bec,

Gut healing takes a long time....the gassy experience would probably be attributed to gut healing. Bad bacteria are being replace by good gut healing bacteria. Dysbiosis? is I think what the proper definition is. Do you have ISWF? It's a great expose on the process. Fatigue haunted me the first 3 weeks of my W30. It got better after week 3. So this may be normal. Be kind to your body as it heals....sweet potatoes with ghee were my saving grace to help pick me up during this process. If I had this at dinner, the next day was usually much better.

Thanks Donna :)

I've had the worst night. I went to bed pretty early last night as i was exhausted. I went to bed with a semi blocked nose and an itchy mouth, woke up 3 hours later and couldnt' get back to sleep, stomach cramps, headache, blocked nose, itchy mouth, the works...... So i called in sick to work today and have spent the day on the couch resting. But that has meant my food intake has been terrible.

So far DAY 5 food:

Vitamin and mineral drink, sweet potato and chicken, coconut cream and berries, nuts and sultanas, and my normal lunch.

I've over eaten today cos i'm at home and just hanging out on the couch and on the internet. I'm totally not hungry at all, but i can pull one positive from it, at least its all been Whole30 approved foods :)

I'm hoping to feel much better tomorrow, lots more fluids and rest for the afternoon and tonight, and then see how i am tomorrow.

Did anyone else get a cold during their whole 30??? I'm living in minus degrees Celsius at the moment, and everyone at work keeps coming into work ill :| sooo annoying. So its a fair chance i've got it from them....

Oh well onwards and upwards from here....

Sorry to hear that you are sick! I got sick during my last Whole30 and realized how much I comforted myself with junk when I was sick. You sound like you are still doing well food-wise; keep eating those Whole30 foods! I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Emily. Its made it a little bit of a challenge knowing whether what i'm doing in the whole30 is working, cos those symptoms Melissa describes in the timeline are being masked with the cold i have :( But i'm still 100% eating compliant foods, and although i'm not eating 3 meals, i'm still feeling strong in sticking to the whole 30.

DAY 6: Whoop Whoop, i'm at the weekend, and i've successfully stuck to the compliant foods. I'm still sick, but i managed to get out of the house today and pick up some kale, and oh my its delicious as chips :)

I'm also cooking stuff capsicum tonight for a friend and i. They are stuffed with beef and vegies, and i made coconut cream, egg white and berries ice cream for dessert. Should be awesome.....

I'm still feeling light, and my tummy is much flatter, so all is well other than this silly cold. I plan to try and get out and do a walk tomorrow, cos i've missed two days of exercise now. Which is ok, but three in a row might kill me :|

Bec,

you did fabulous all things considered. Your food was W30 compliant. Probably a winter virus. Our immunity is low during this challenge as we heal....hang in there. Plenty of fluids and you will feel better in a bit.

Thanks Donna,

Today started off terribly. I couldn't get my head off the pillow before lunch time, all i could muster was a bit of beef mince mix left over from last night, and some lettuce. It wasn't until 1pm i could get up and move around. I still didn't do much, but i managed to eat all compliant whole30 foods, again just grazing instead of 3 meals. but i'm happy i didn't reach for the chocolate, which i normally do :)

So back to work tomorrow, hopefully! Hoping for some structure in my day and routine, so then i can eat 3 meals again ........

DAY 8.......... YIPPEEE!!! I made it through a week without any sugar, grains, wheat, dairy, nothing that wasn't whole30 compliant. I'm soo happy with myself. Even when i've been feeling sooo sick from a cold. I still stuck with it!!!

Today i'm feeling much better, still not 100%. but i managed a workoout this morning, and i'm at work. Which is a lot better than i was. Food today is similar to my first week.

B: Chicken and pumpkin omelette

L: Chicken and vegies ( zucchini, celery, carrot, brussel sprouts, broccoli) spices

D: Beef Stufed capsicum and beans

S: sulatanas, coconut flakes, black tea, vitamin drink, coconut cream and berries

PWO: egg whites and berries

It hard to say if i'm feeling more energetic, or anything more, when i have this nasty cold. But i'm determined to see it through to the end of the 30 days.

Maybe in a weird way the cold is lucky... maybe it will mask any carb flu you might be having! Get well quick! We've made it through 8 days; at this point I usually start feeling better and getting in a groove! Keep on!

I'm starting to think that it might be a blessing in disguise too Emily. Cos i haven't been craving sugar or anything too sweet cos i've lost taste buds and my sense of smells cos of the cold. So my brother cooking cakes, and having lollies around the house, hasn't tempted me at all. Though i did have a dream last night i ate a 1L tub of ice cream, haha i can't even eat ice cream.....

I'm starting to feel better and YAY to DAY9, whoooo tomorrow will one the one third mark, and i'm sooo excited. Other than my cold, and trouble sleeping last night, i'm feeling pretty good.

Todays food will be the same as yesterday.

B: Chicken and pumpkin omelette

L: Chicken and vegies ( zucchini, celery, carrot, brussel sprouts, broccoli) spices

D: Beef Stufed capsicum and beans

S: sulatanas, coconut flakes, black tea, vitamin drink, coconut cream and berries

PWO: egg whites and berries

With the addition of celery and homemade almond butter to tie over in the afternoons.

I have stopped weighing things, and am making a mental picture in my head of the proportions on a plate, and what each item of food should make up. I know i am probably eating more carbs than i would normally like too, but thats ok, cos its coming from fruits and vege.

DAY 10- I MADE IT!!!!

Well not quite, its lunch time on day 10, but i'm feeling good. I've managed to almost kick this cold, and i'm startingt to feel like i have more energy, and i'm generally happier. Which is great!!!

I haven't noticed my clothes fitting better or anything, but i wasn't particularly large when i started. So can't really judge anything like that. And I have weighed myself, :o but it hasn't gone up or down, and thats ok. I'm ok with that, cos its not really about the weightloss, though i do want to lose a bit of weight, its more about cleansing my body and ridding it of bad toxins, and creating new healthy habbits.

I am noticing i am not craving sugar as much. I am feeling berries and apples cures any sugar craving, and tea can be drunk without sugar being added. I am still craving a piece of chocolate, dark chocolate, but i'm sure at the end of the 30days i'll be cured of that too.....

Food today is the same as yesterday mostly:

B: Chicken and omlette and lettuce

D:Fish and vegies

S: sulatanas, coconut flakes, black tea, vitamin drink, coconut cream and apple.

PWO: egg whites, apple and coconut water.

Not much else to report, i just can't wait ti rid this cold completely :)

Today is Day 11- whoop!!!

And as i venture into the next third of the program (i've broken it down into thirds, so it seems more managable, and not soo scary) i am going to try and stick to 3 meals ( not inlcuding post workout) and two smallish snacks. I can't make it through either the morning or the arvo at work without a little snack. But i'm going to stop eating when i get home from work, and just go straight into dinner. Because i am finding i'm eating tooooooo much of snacky food when i get home from work, and its not doing my body any good.

So i'll give this a go today, and see what happens........

I'm still battling this cold, it just wont leave. But it seems to be attacking a lot of people. And im nowhere near as bad as most of them, so thats a bonus.

Food today:

B: Chicken and omlette and lettuce

D:Fish and vegies

S: sulatanas, homemade almond butter with celery, black tea, vitamin drink, tuna.

PWO: egg whites, apple and coconut water.

Ok day 12......

Sooo late night something strange happened. I was fine till i ate my dinner. Not bloated or anything. Once i ate my dinner, BAM bloated as could be. I don't know what i ate that made this happen. I ate a piece of fish, some brocoli and green beans, in a fry pan with coconut oil and a bit of coconut cream.

i have no clue as what may have caused this. But i'm going to drop the coconut cream in dinner from now on. I have a feeling it might be that, and the cooking of it. Not sure, but i'm going to try eliminating stuff, cos i don't want that to happen again :(

So onto today. Cold is almost 50% gone, and should be gone by the end of the weekend. I'm laying low this weekend to try and fend off the cold. Energy is good. Woke up with a flat tummy, jeans fit great today. Skin is clearing, still has work, but i feel a little less dry. My arthritis played up a little yesterday, but is great today. All in all i feel good :)

Todays food is:

B: Chicken omlette with lettuce

L: chicken and vegies cooked in coconut oil

D: Fish and vegies cooked in coconut oil

S: sultanas, homemade almond butter with celery, black tea, vitamin water, herbal tea

PWO: egg whites, apple and coconut water

My plan yesterday worked i didn't snack near as much as i was. And i was sufficently full after every meal :)

Thats a score for me :)

DAY 15, Half WAY!!!! YAY

i didn't get to post over the weekend, but i kept on track and didn't eat anything that wasn't compliant. Even when i went to see my cousins at their bakery and they gave me gluten and dairy free goodies. I was surprised at how easy it was to put them in the freezer and not think about them. I plan to leave them there until after the whole30 and see how i feel, if i feel i want a small bite i will have it. But if i continue at this pace, they will be there for months :)

I've decided to cut coconut cream from my diet, as i believe it might have been upsetting my tummy. So we'll see how the next few days go and see if there are any changes.

Onto some changes..... i have way more energy now, its great!!! I'm still fighting off this cold. but over the weekend, not one nana nap was had. this is massive for me. i feel sooo much better.

So food today:

B: chicken omeltte with lettuce

L: Chicken and vegies stir fry

D: grass fed beef mince, with capsicum, green beans and cauliflower

S: vitamin drink, apple, cucumber, and celery fried with coconut oil,

PWO: egg whites, berries

DAY 16.......... Today i had to look at the calendar to check what day i was on. All this good high energy feeling has made me lose track of how far i've come :)

I spent days looking all through these forums and noticing people get awesome amounts of energy around day 15 through to the end. And when i hit day 14 and still wasn't feeling "awesome", i was feeling a little disheartened. But low and behold..... today, well i just feel AMAZING. Minus the runny nose. I am on top of the world. my weights sesison this moring was great, hit PR's and felt amazing. i can't believe its hear. I'm on track Day 16 and tiger blood is coming on :)

food today is same as yesterday:

B: chicken omeltte with lettuce

L: Chicken and vegies stir fry

D: grass fed beef mince, with capsicum, green beans and cauliflower

S: vitamin drink, apple, cucumber, and celery fried with coconut oil,

PWO: egg whites, berries

I think the trick from yesterday i have learned, is to only eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. And eat dinner as soon as i get home from work. This helped me mindlessly eating fruit and other nuts, as i had done previously. So i have learnt soo much in the last few days alone about how to fuel my boday properly.......

Bring on the next 14days :)

Archived