Paleofying

Could someone clarify what constitutes paleofying foods please?

I know the obvious stuff like baking, pizza, oatmeal, pancakes, etc.

What about these things:

1. meatloaf

2. almond flour/coconut flour as a coating for chicken

3. adding almond flour (or other nut flour) to thicken a sauce or bulk a meatloaf (assuming meatloaf is allowed)

4. casseroles

I am starting tomorrow and I want to make sure I had it right. I had thought meatloaf was fine, and then I read some posts suggesting maybe it wasn't. I had assumed all nut flours were out and then I saw some say they were fine as long as they weren't being made to bake goods.

Could someone clarify for me? Thanks!

I think meatloaf would be fine. Use egg instead of oats (or whatever you use as a binder), chop up some green peppers and onions to put in the meat mix, and make yourself some pureed tomatoes to go on top. Oh heck, now I want meatloaf!

I've heard of people using ground nuts for a coating. I've not tried it. I'm okay with no-coating chicken.

Thanks! So sweet potato fries are approved? I just saw posts on that. I guess I'm overthinking the paleofying thing. Is it mostly baking that paleofying applies to and not so much things like whole sweet potato fries, meat/veggie/egg combos, burgers, etc? If it's pretty much the obvious stuff like baking, oatmeal, pancakes, pizza, muffins, sweet treats, etc...I'm good. That's easy. :)

Yep, as Susan says you've got it right. When in doubt I ask myself:- 1)are the ingredients I'm using healthy and compliant, 2) is the end product going to contribute to my health or 3) am I just trying to recreate a not-so-healthy food because I'm missing it? If i can answer *yes* to the first 2 and *no* to the 3rd then it's liftoff :)

I would just add that if you're someone who used to go nuts on chips/fries, then fried sweet potato might come under the "paleofying" label, if you have the same behaviour towards them :)

I would just add that if you're someone who used to go nuts on chips/fries, then fried sweet potato might come under the "paleofying" label, if you have the same behaviour towards them

Good point. I had something nagging at me and that was it. :)

All of your examples are fine and are not considered paleofying. If muffins (other than egg muffins) or bread were on your list, that would be different. :0)

Hey now, I make meatloaf in a muffin pan, and they are totally compliant! I know what you mean though ;)

Easy to grab one or 2, which are each about the size of a palm, so easy for protein portioning. They freeze well and you can easily be reheated in the microwave.

Hey now, I make meatloaf in a muffin pan, and they are totally compliant! I know what you mean though

Easy to grab one or 2, which are each about the size of a palm, so easy for protein portioning. They freeze well and you can easily be reheated in the microwave.

Lol. So true. :)

I've done it 4 or 5 times. They always turn out well. Diced peppers make a good addition for sure. I've tried them with ground chicken, ground beef, ground pork, and sausage meat, and I think the ground pork on it's own was one of the least tasty ones personally. The sausage meat was the best, but also the fattiest, but that was before I was on the whole30, so it wasn't compliant.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it 4 or 5 times. They always turn out well. Diced peppers make a good addition for sure. I've tried them with ground chicken, ground beef, ground pork, and sausage meat, and I think the ground pork on it's own was one of the least tasty ones personally. The sausage meat was the best, but also the fattiest, but that was before I was on the whole30, so it wasn't compliant.

My favorite is a mix of ground turkey and ground beef for flavor...never thought of sausage meat!

Archived