Hi, I'm starting W30 this Tuesday and while I haven't officially started yet, I am shifting most if my eating habits that way to prepare myself (husband's birthday is Monday, so I want to halfway enjoy it).

Anyway, I'm looking for good pre-WO meal options to fuel my workouts, especially when my training runs go beyond an hour. My workouts are usually fairly intense, consisting of long runs, HIIT runs and/or hill repeats, TRX workouts, and weightlifting (with or without added high intensity cardio intervals). I know, per the template, that pre-WO should consist of small protein & fats, no carbs. Would HB eggs and cashews be a good choice & would it fuel me when I do longer runs? I've also read about chia gel (http://www.ultra-running-insights.com/chia-seeds.html), not sure if that would constitute a protein or fat, which I'd mix with either coconut water or coconut milk.

Thoughts out there from distance runners and/or other high-intensity athletes?

You might have to test some stuff out, what works for me is usually some carbs added to my pre-wod meal, but HB eggs & cashews sound good too. I scramble 2 eggs with some banana and have a bit of avocado on the side on most days.

Also, I found to really perform well on coconut flakes.

Not too keen on the chia seeds, they contain a lot of omega 6, something you don't want to get too much of. IMHO, chia is getting waaaaay to much attention as a "super food" these days.

Archived