Erin's W30 Log--Starting 7/1/2012

Erin

Day 1

Coffee with coconut milk (yum!)

Breakfast: scrambled egg, bacon, sauteed banana pepper and yellow zucchini

Lunch: peach

Dinner: ground beef, arabiatta sauce w/ pureed orange peppers, yellow zucchini, and tomatoes, julienned and sauteed yellow zucchini, strawberries

note: i bought a basket of yellow zucchini (super yum) at a farmers market on Wednesday and they don't last long, so I'm eating them up

Snack: pistachios, kale chips

Erin,

A peach is a pleasant taste sensation, not lunch. Your body needs you to eat at least 3 times per day - protein, veggies, fat. Com'mon. You can do it!

Oh, absolutely. I ate my breakfast super late and only had a peach between then and my early dinner so I called it lunch. :) Thanks, hope you'll continue to look over my log!

Just checked out your blog. Very cool! And I love Jesus too. :)

http://www.inhotpursuitofgod.blogspot.com

Day 2 (note: i woke up in the middle of the night with a full bladder. That NEVER happens to me. Perhaps from the large amount of veggies? I'm certainly not complaining!)

Meal #1: coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs scrambled with celery salt, cumin, and pepper, bacon, kale

Meal #2: mixed greens topped with leftover ground beef marinara, sauteed onions, and 1/2 avocado (DELISH!) and my 9 year old had the same thing and devoured it.

Meal #3: mixed greens topped with leftover rotisserie chicken (i was literally digging in the chicken, grabbing all of the meat and fat I could find), strawberries, leeks, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar

Snacks: larabar

Note: dinner should have been bigger, but I was in a pinch and ended up not having time to cook the chicken thighs I'd set out to thaw, no time to slice and saute a bunch of veggies either. So I was super hungry after my meeting got out at 8:30 pm and had a larabar. In fact, I'm still hungry. :(

Day 3: Feeling great! Thought I would miss chocolate and wine more than I am currently. I think getting to Day 8 will be a huge turning point, as I expect some cravings for sugar to appear tonight/tomorrow.

M1: coffee w/ coconut milk; 2 eggs scrambled, 2 slices of bacon, yellow zucchini, orange sweet pepper, and a tomato

M2: albacore tuna w/ mayo, sunflower seeds, avocado, and a plum

Snack: larabar

M3: paleo friendly chicken Marbella and mashed cauliflower (made with coconut milk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder). OMWORD!! Amazing. I should post the recipe:

2.5 lbs chicken thighs & legs

1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped

1/8 cup dried oregano

coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

1 cup cut pitted and chopped dates

1/4 cup spanish green olives

1/4 cup capers with a bit of juice

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the chicken

3. Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with the combined ingredients

4. Bake for 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices

When done, serve over mashed cauliflower and add lots of the pan juices

Question for a moderator: is it normal for my urine to be darker in color than usual? It looks like it does when I've taken a multivitamin in the past. So I'm wondering if it's from an increase in veggie consumption. Or maybe I'm not drinking enough water.

Day 4:

Feeling good!

M1: bacon, eggs, tomatoes, coffee w/ coconut milk (Bought pastured eggs--they're huge! 2 eggs are about the same in size as 3 organic eggs)

M2: leftover chicken Marbella, cauliflower

Snack: 1 large carrot

M3: beef brisket, broccoli salad, fruit (canteloup, honey dew melon, pineapple, grapes) @ Fourth of July party

Day 5: Sleeping like a rock and having weird dreams. Woke up feeling much less bloated, tummy is smoother, hooray!

M1: bacon, eggs, leeks, coffee w/ coconut milk

snack: plum

M2: picked up two tacos from Torchy's Tacos and took the good stuff out of the corn tortillas, put it on a bed of mixed greens, and topped it with salsa. (green chile pork and braised beef with onions and avocado) handful of raw macadamia nuts

***so...I don't really have cravings. I'm thinking this is because I started the 21 day primal transformation in the middle of May and have been eating that way about 80% of the time (i know, i know, how can i determine a percentage?) with the exception of wine and chocolate at night, pretty much every night. So anyway, yay for no cravings! The truth is, I have 3 packages of organic cookie dough in my refrigerator that I need to bake for my clients but I don't trust myself with cookie dough yet. Gonna give it to my sister to bake. I guess we'll see if the cravings come in the next week, but I'm pretty ecstatic that I haven't had to battle them thus far.

M3: scrambled eggs in bacon fat, sauteed kale in bacon fat, strawberries

Felt super skinny this morning and I had a fight with myself over whether or not to weigh myself. Ultimately, I followed the W30 and did not check my weight.

Meal1: Coffee w/ coconut milk, 2 eggs scrambled with green and orange peppers, 1/2 sweet potato, bacon

snack: green olives

Meal 2: big salad with summer kale, blackened chix salad from whole foods, broccoli, mushrooms

Meal 3: ok, the following is not excellent but the alternative was movie theater popcorn and diet coke.

larabar, plum, pistachios

Ha ha, I know that feeling! But then if you didn't like the numbers you'd go from feeling awesome to feeling crappy. And if you did like the numbers you'd feel awesome, but hey you were feeling that nayway...so...don't step on the scales :D

Well done on keeping the scale demons at bay....they should reside in a dark dank cave with the sugar dragons.

Day 7

Meal1: bacon, plum

Meal2: roast beef, larabar

Meal3: skirt steak with mocha rub, leeks and green beans sauteed in bacon fat, pistachios

Obviously not enough veggies today. What can I say? It's Saturday

While I am thrilled to have completed 1 week, I am feeling weak about finishing my W30. I almost caved last night while driving to the movies, imagining the popcorn which is one of my favorites treats. I could really go for some chocolate, people.

Aaaand so I made some paleo chocolate. :( put dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt in my food processor and ate some of the "dough". Shoot. Well, moving on...

You're right on the cusp of days 8-15 where "this is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know". Stay strong and remember that this too shall pass.

Thank you so much for reminding me of this! I was really dreading the next 3 weeks because I forgot that the chances are good that I'll get past the 2nd week and feel like a new person. One day at a time...

Day 8 (Week 2, woohoo!)

Had a late breakfast after drinking 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon **Note to self: self, you feel better when you eat before 9:00 am

M1: 3 slices thick bacon, 1 egg scrambled, 1/2 sweet potato (at 11:00 am)

M2: roast beef roll ups (roast beef with slices of avocado and unsweetened apple butter), strawberries, pistachios

M3: Paleo meatballs w/ tomato sauce, sauteed kale, peach and avocado salad, 2 chocolate date balls (will definitely be having this meal again)

Day 9! No cravings. Slept like a boulder last night. Man, that felt good!

M1: bacon, scrambled eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: leftover meatballs served over mixed greens with leftover peach and avocado salad

M3: home cooked pastured whole chicken (I'm going to have a leg), cauliflower mashed w/ coconut milk for fat, 1/2 sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil.

Plan to get my gym groove back on next week when my kiddo is in summer camp. It's been nice to just focus on eating healthy and not have to worry about the gym stuff. I wonder if it will prompt more cravings. Hmmm. TBA

Day 10 I've noticed that although my grocery bill is higher since starting W30, I'm saving a ton of money by not eating out. :)

M1: coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs scrambled, 3 slices bacon, 1/2 onion sauteed

M2: leftover chicken, cauliflower mashed, 1/2 avocado

M3: spinach salad with strawberries, bacon, chicken, pecans, and onions in a balsamic fig dressing

cocoa dates

Day 10 I've noticed that although my grocery bill is higher since starting W30, I'm saving a ton of money by not eating out. :)

So true! And the other thing I noticed in my last Whole30--I'm not spending a fortune on lattes at Starbucks. I don't want to say how much money that saves me each month, but if it gives you any idea, there is a Starbucks onsite where I work, and I used to be a regular afternoon customer. And sometimes twice a day. :huh:

So true! And the other thing I noticed in my last Whole30--I'm not spending a fortune on lattes at Starbucks. I don't want to say how much money that saves me each month, but if it gives you any idea, there is a Starbucks onsite where I work, and I used to be a regular afternoon customer. And sometimes twice a day. :huh:

Oh yeah, I can imagine. I can't believe I'm actually starting to enjoy my coffee without sugar! Another funny thing is that when I'm done grocery shopping and heading to check out, I look at my cart and think, "Oh, it's not full at all! This will be inexpensive." But no, because meat and produce is more expensive than dairy and cereal, it just takes up less space. Which should be a lesson in itself! :)

Day 11 Nearing the 1/2 way mark! I'm feeling excellent, great energy all day long, sleeping like a rock, and looking lean. One thing I've noticed is that I never feel my food in my stomach. Do you know what I mean? When I ate grains, I could feel my stomach expanding and whatever else was going on. It felt uncomfortable but I never thought twice about it because it seemed a part of digestion. But now I NEVER feel that way. I just ate a HUGE salad, and I don't feel full or bloated or uncomfortable. If I had to guess, I'd say I've lost at least an inch from my waist and some of that has got to be a decrease in intestinal inflammation. Right on!

M1: bacon, eggs, tomatoes, coffee with coconut milk

M2: mixed greens with chicken, strawberries, and sweet potato drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar, cocoa dates (uh-oh)

M3: bacon and cocoa dates.

I ate lunch at 3:00 pm and wasn't hungry for dinner, but we were heading out to a friend's house to play so I knew I needed to eat something. I finished off the cocoa date balls while I was cooking the bacon and felt soooo tired once I got to my friend's house. Obviously I'm not ready to have sweet treats in the house! However, I am excited to know that dates, pecans, cocoa powder, vanilla, and sea salt ground up and made into balls will be my chocolate treat of choice for the rest of my life. :) Non-dairy and sweetness from fruit!

Forgot to note that I had my first guilty food dream last night. I dreamed that I ate a huge bowl of lemon-blueberry ice cream and felt sooo guilty all night until I woke up and realized it was a dream. I can't believe how strong the emotion was that I literally sighed with relief when I woke up! Also, I think it's funny that my ice cream was lemon-blueberry. I wouldn't never get the flavor, but there is a local farm that makes lemon-blueberry chevre that is TO DIE FOR and I'm pretty sure I'm intolerant of it. :(

Day 12

M1: coffee w/ coconut milk, bacon, kale, eggs

during what would have been M2, a broken hearted friend came over, needing consoling and I forgot to eat. She left right before I had to leave for small group, so we drove through Wendy's. I really wanted a cheeseburger. :) But I order the berry almond chicken salad, skipped the dressing, and mostly ate chicken and berries for dinner plus a larabar. Not so hot.

Was very hungry when I got home at 10:00 pm so had some pistachios and a tablespoon of almond butter

Day 13

M1: coffee w/ coconut milk, eggs, bacon, cantaloup, and strawberries

M2: NY strip, 1/2 sweet potato, broccoli (coconut oil as fat)

I start a PT job at Truluck's (steak and crab) tonight. Kinda nervous about getting hungry while working and having to sample the dishes that contain grains and dairy. They do serve top quality meat and seafood though!

M3: Miso-glazed sea bass with crab fried rice. Oh my goodness gracious. Delicious. About as healthy as you can in a restaurant but not W30 compliant. Not too worried about it though, because my issues are with sugar, dairy, and gluten.

Day 14

M1: 1/2 NY strip, 1/2 onion

M2: 1/2 NY strip, strawberries and canteloup, larabar (this was my before work meal. it did keep full and full of energy for 6 hours)

M3: hot and crunchy trout, rice pilaf, and lobster bisque. I only had a few spoonfuls of the bisque b/c of the dairy. Again, delicious food at Truluck's! Felt a little acidic in my stomach this morning...

Day 15 (1/2 way! Feeling superb. A little annoyed that I can't sleep in in the mornings when I want to. I wake up at 7:00 am whether I like it or not!)

M1: 2 eggs scrambled, 1/2 sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil

M2: burger with mushrooms and onions (no bun of course)

M3: mixed greens with spicy shredded chicken, EVOO and balsamic

My body is so used to eating 3 times a day that I no longer even think about snacking between meal. Hooray!

This is the beginning of the last week of my cycle so I'm preparing to eat more starchy tubers, as Melissa suggested in a Ladies Only thread.

Archived