Look ma, no hands!

Beets

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Deep down I think that was really what drove me to the W30. I was sick of feeling like a blob of sad jello.

I got really caught up in thinking photographing children isn't "real" photography and lamenting the fact that I can't afford to get an MFA (which would give me the Institutional Academic Authoritative Blessing I so desire, like the insecure person I am) and blah blah blah. But you know what? I really enjoy it and I do find it artistically satisfying, if I do it the way I want. I'll be 40 next year (ack!) and it's high time I let go of all the should be doing X in my life.

I am so glad you put the link back. I don't know any of these kids, obviously, but I looked at each photo and thought that you had captured the essence of each child. Simply lovely! Oh how I wish I had captured moments like these when my kids were little and not the typical portrait studio shots!

You have a true talent!

Ok, I've missed like everything here. I am thrilled that we have a little crew of creative and talented women here. Your photos are so penetrating. Only someone who knows kids can take pictures like these. :wub: I also like that I know your name now (hope this doesn't sound too creepy).

Moluv - have you started rubbing the FCLO topical? I am still eating my capsules and the difference is great. Along with the sun my skin looks so much better. I wonder if you had some improvements.

Ok, I've missed like everything here. I am thrilled that we have a little crew of creative and talented women here. Your photos are so penetrating. Only someone who knows kids can take pictures like these. I also like that I know your name now (hope this doesn't sound too creepy).

Moluv - have you started rubbing the FCLO topical? I am still eating my capsules and the difference is great. Along with the sun my skin looks so much better. I wonder if you had some improvements.

Buncha creepy stalkers we all are...

Yes Nadia I have applied topically mixed with evening primrose oil. My kids said I smelled like a dumpster. I took a "before" pic and thought if give that and my cleaned up diet a week or two before I compare. I have also visited the tanning salon a couple times as well as sunbathed outdoors. When I am very dark in summer it totally disappears. I've taken vit d caplets too. I won't really know which thing works but its probably all the things together. Another odd thing I notice is when I have "Pleasurebelly" and I'm calmer I don't tend to notice the bumps now pick at them which also improves my skin texture.

I haven't done the leggings yet. Ha!

I have the cinnamon tingle (with stevia, which I will haven to ditch shortly) and the taste frigging lingers! Man alive. My daughter, my little kimchi-eating, cabbage-gobbling champion, asked for a second helping. I'm sure she'll refuse all food but chicken nuggets in due time but for now she's awesome with food.

In your face pediatrician who wanted me to fatten her up with crap rice cereal when she wasn't gaining weight fast enough! Like a turkey! Nevermind the childhood obesity epidemic. We need to fatten up these babies with garbage cereals.

Anyhoooooo.

Husband's birthday dinner was awesome: amazingly flavorful grass-fed strip steaks, perfectly roasted asparagus. 1/4 glass of red wine.

He's depressed. He turned 41. Said it's worse than 40.

Today:

-FCLO, digestive enzymes, ground GF beef cooked in strip steak pan with ginger, braised cabbage, kimchi, green tea, coconut water probiotics

-hideous quantity of our homemade "wallerbars." Didn't soak nuts and used cashews, dried mango, dried apricot, unsweetened banana chips, and dates--thereby undoing all my AM supplementation. Really yummy. Prob too sweet. I added a little CO to make it cohere (word? I'm tired) and then put in freezer. Ate a bunch and my stomach pooched out. Kids loved 'em!

-slow-roasted pork, braised cabbage (I ate through the message that I was full because I liked the taste. Needs improvement.)

-melted 82% choc mixed with yet more cashews and raisins, chilled and enjoyed (my PWO snack??)

-after yoga: ground GF beef, sweet pot

Tomorrow I'm soaking nuts. I read cashews need noire than six hours. I'm also thinking I need another W30 in May. I can't stop the off-roading. Though maybe I have to stop thinking "I have to stop the off-roading."

And in fairness nothing was terrible today, except that I ate the bars instead of eating lunch a little earlier than planned, which would've set me up for a pre-yoga dinner. Live n learn.

Thanks for your comments on the photos. Having my real name out there was one reason I hesitated. Not bc I don't want ppl to know, but it felt like I was removing an accepted internet barrier.

Happy to report that cohere is indeed the verb I wanted to use.

Phew! :D hate losing brain cells.

Yeah, I'm hoping the novelty of the bars was the big draw. My kids and I chowed the first batch. Putting the CO in and then freezing made it extra yummy--kind of crunchy but also chewy.

Happy to report that cohere is indeed the verb I wanted to use.

Phew! hate losing brain cells.

Yeah, I'm hoping the novelty of the bars was the big draw. My kids and I chowed the first batch. Putting the CO in and then freezing made it extra yummy--kind of crunchy but also chewy.

I was thinking adhere but I'm excited to learn cohere is a word too.

We gobbled those bars at first too, then it dwindled to a nibble. I want them to be less sweet even still. I'm going to try adding coconut butter to the dates, should hold shape without being too sweet. We made ours in little silicon ice cube/sphere trays so they were 2 bites each.

We made ours in little silicon ice cube/sphere trays so they were 2 bites each.

Silicon trays: great call. As is the coconut butter. I bought some cute Japanese decorative tape from Etsy thinking I'd use it to wrap the bars for my son's lunch. (I dream of being a mom who makes super cute Bento lunches; I'm not that mom.) But the oil from the nuts makes the tape not stick very well. It didn't look like this:post-19355-13680407922887_thumb.jpg

Cubes or balls would be much easier! I have a hard enough time keeping my kitchen in not-squalid condition. Nevermind cute tape.

If it's not too stalkery, I'd love the name of the farm-to-table restaurant in BK. I spend a decent amount of time in Bed-Stuy and am always looking for new places to eat.

P.S. You have no need to have any kind of sharing anxiety. Your site is beautiful. Very sparse and clean.

Beets - love your website and photos...when are you coming out to Cali so you can shoot my kids?! :)

I hope you enjoyed your ungodly quantity of wallabars, I ate lemon blueberry muffins for lunch. and that's it. I think they're great (obviously) but no one else will really eat them. I'm chalking it up to the fact that they eat actual real muffins and these are paleo with coconut flour.

I am doing a whole30 starting June 1 - I'm recruiting support right now! wait a couple weeks and jump on the band wagon with me.

and I dream of being that mom, too. I have a closet full of fabric to sew cute clothes for my kids and a sewing machine. I don't know how to sew.

^^the fancy tape, the sewing. This is why I don't do Pinterest. If Pinterest ever starts celebrating dirty dish stacking or safety pin appliqué Ill be all over that.

Haha. How about laundry piles that look like lava flow?

I don't do Pinterest either. I mean, I'm on there, but I don't follow cutesy crafty moms and I haven't logged on in almost a year. It's too much of a time suck and I am too much of a perfectionist to just haphazardly pin something? Without making sure it perfectly expresses something I want to say about myself? And fits into my color scheme?

I use Pinboard to save bookmarks: "social bookmarking for introverts." :D No photos. Just plain text.

Jess, both times I was pg I fantasized about learning to sew and making curtains or cute kid clothes. That was the extent of my nesting instinct.

Ha! I have a sewing machine and a bunch of fabric and a ton of scrapbooking stuff and lots of good itentions. And that's it! :D My New Years Resolution is to finish my 8 yo's baby book and then get rid of all the scrapbooking stuff.

• Moderators

How did you change the title of your thread? I am such a nerd (or so not a nerd, not sure) that I can't figure it out. Can you help me, Beets?

How did you change the title of your thread? I am such a nerd (or so not a nerd, not sure) that I can't figure it out. Can you help me, Beets?

I didn't change this one, it's growing on me. But I know how!

On the computer (won't work on phone I don't think) you go into the first post of your thread. Go into Edit with advanced options. You will see the title across the top and you can change it!

I actually researched this because I am a nerd. ;)

I'm getting sick. Boo! Feel betrayed by my body. Feel it in the back of my throat. Drinking broth with freshly grated ginger.

Today I ate:

-lamb burger, raw carrots, green tea. I made a cup of coffee. I was thinking, "I'm tired, it's rainy, I'll just drink this today." I was also thinking, "Getting off coffee was really brutal. Am I really going to do this again to myself?"

Fortunately, I don't really love coffee with CM. Good coffee, too! I drank a few sips. I felt an uncomfortable buzz. I thought of my adrenals and my anxiety. I made a cup of green tea and dumped the coffee.

-nibbles of wallerbars while packing kid's lunch but only nibbles! Also, olives from prepared foods place downstairs. Lemon, garlic and red pepper. Buying a case of good Q olives so I can season myself (minus red pepper for AIP).

Lunch was late. Drama with my son at school -> "chat" with teacher -> major anxiety. Her method of discipline makes things worse. Grrrrr.

-slow-roasted pork, cabbage sautéed in lamb burger skillet with ginger, kimchi, raw carrots, olives from son's uneaten lunch, Spring Detox tea

-no chocolate! frozen banana slices: mmm, creamy

-beef stew with star anise and carrots over sautéed cabbage with ginger (loving this combo right now!), 1/4 glass red wine, 2 cups bone broth with fresh ginger

Getting anxious for the weekend. We are headed to my bother's house tmrw night through Sat for a Mother's Day celebration. Bro and his GF were eating paleo--but but not on weekends... Menu: French toast casserole, frittatas, bacon. Lots of booze. Love 'em, but they are boozebags. I'm afraid I will buckle. Can't think that way. Must think: Nourishment. Will this make me more or less healthy? Will this set back my gut repair?

Almost asked her to make me a compliant frittata but then I got jammed up about factory eggs and thoughts of being rude. Also, remembering now I'm not eating eggs. Ack. I'll cook my brisket tmrw and bring that, a head of cabbage, lb of ground lamb (kids eating it like mad) and a knob of ginger. And five bottles of Gerolsteiner.

Ha! I have a sewing machine and a bunch of fabric and a ton of scrapbooking stuff and lots of good itentions. And that's it! My New Years Resolution is to finish my 8 yo's baby book and then get rid of all the scrapbooking stuff.

Lol. Sort of like the baby photo books I, photographer, haven't made for my kids.:D Just get it done by the time they are teenagers!

I really hope you are not getting sick!

I have no doubt you will be just fine this weekend! Look how great you did with your husband's birthday dinner out. Enjoy yourself, don't let yourself feel deprived. If you want A drink, have A drink and make it last!

Enjoy and drink more broth :).

I agree. I feel like I have done pretty well when off roading because I seriously planned to off road.

and I know what you mean about the eggs, etc. my parents always want us over to their house for dinner. they live pretty much next door to us and watch our kids a LOT, so they feed them a LOT, but I always bring my own food. even if they offer to make something for me or have something there for me! oh well, less stress for me and then I won't "feel bad" about not eating what they actually went out of their way to make and have for me specifically.

Yup. Thanks. I just confirmed with my brother's GF that I can use her slow cooker tonight to make my Korean BbQ brisket.

I hate feeling like the intruding guest. My parents live in NJ but come here a lot and watch and feed my kids, and there is always a weird guilt issue that comes from turning down their food. I'm getting over it but it's hard for me.

Wallerbars!

N, I was so proud of myself too. :D

Kb, throat still weird but keeping it at bay with broth and ginger, herbal throat tincture.

Archived