After dinner snack, is it really just my dessert replacement?

I am breast feeding my almost 4 month old, and have started the whole 30. After dinner ( I don't always get to eat all I want or need between my 3 year old and 4 month old) I always want some nuts and or nut butter, but I think this is feeding my sugar dragons? Should I switch to a hard booked egg? Or a little more dinner or is it really just my bad habit of wanting dessert after dinner? I don't want my milk supply to drop. I ideally want to cut out an after dinner snack, any recommendations? Will power likely

Can you save a bit of your dinner - maybe even when you are serving dinner - to have a mini-meal that fits the meal template, but in smaller form? If you are hungry enough to eat more dinner, then you should eat. Having only fat or only protein is less than ideal.

If your body needs food after dinner, stick to protein, fat, and veggie everytime, if you can.

Yes, as Nico says, a snack should ideally be a mini meal and ideally our meals should be enough to full us up. If you're breastfeeding don't be afraid to add in an extra meal if you need it. It's important to make sure you get enough good quality food. Nuts can be a good source of fat but ideally should be eaten with your meal, have them after and it does feed the whole 'dessert' idea. I know 'cos it took me ages to get over that ;)

In the beginning I found that having a slightly smaller dinner and then going back for a second helping seemed to do the trick til I got out of the dessert habit. However that was just looking after myself. I remember the days of having two small children to feed as well as myself and it's not easy :unsure: Just do your best and make sure you're eating enough to satisfy you. good luck

Archived