What to do with leftover coconut milk?

I opened a can of full fat coconut milk yesterday to use some for a recipe. I put the rest in a tupperware container and put it in the fridge, with intentions of it separating so I could use the cream off the top for my coffee. Apparently it doesn't separate once its been opened? Anyway, I'm an inherently cheap/frugal person and I do not want this coconut milk to go bad. I'm just wondering if anyone has any recipes, ideas, suggestions of how to use the remainder of the milk before it goes bad? Would it go well in an egg casserole muffin recipe (since a lot of those recipes call for regular dairy milk anyway)? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Funnily enough, I've got exactly the same in my fridge and no it isn't separating either. I'm going to make chicken soup later today and add it to that with some mild thai curry paste and see what that's like. I just need to work put what veg would be best with it.

Kristen, this should work, I've done it before (Thai stew/soup kind of thing). If you have Aroy-D brand over there look for a white pack - coconut cream. No freezing overnight for separating needed and there is no leftover liquid after.

I made some chia seed yogurt with coconut milk. You can freeze it and then make a whip cream with it for fruit. I love coconut milk and wish I could eat it with everything!! I hope you found a way to eat it, its not the cheapest thing to buy!!!

I made butternut squash soup this week and used the rest of my jar (I store it in glass; I think it tastes better but I'm probably crazy) at the end after I pureed the squash/carrot/onion mixture.

I put 2T in my crio bru each morning and use a small frother to emulsify. Yum.

Make a vegetable curry! Very simple. I'd probably just saute up some veggies in ghee and add curry powder. "Toast" the powder by stirring around for a minute over the med heat and then add some coconut milk. Simmer for a bit to thicken and salt. Since I seem to be obsessed with cabbage these days, I'd use cabbage.

I also use it to drizzle over my coconut 'pancake': 3 eggs and 1/4c coconut milk whisked together. If it is too thick I add coconut milk right to that mixture. Cook like a pancake in some ghee. It is savory enough to need something on top, so I used the coconut milk once as 'syrup'. I swear I was full until dinner!

I hate waste, and I give every can of coconut milk a whirl in my Magic Bullet before using. It normally stays blended once I refrigerate it. I do not skim the cream off the top for my coffee, I pour the milk right in. Tastes fine.

I don't understand the concept of "leftover" coconut milk :) . But seriously, transfer it from the can to a Mason jar, and then give it a good shake each time you go to use a little. I have never had one linger long enough to find out how long before it goes bad.

My coconut milk never did go bad... I just used it for coffee. :)

But now I'm wondering... There are lots of soup/stew recipes out there, I would imagine its safe to sub coconut milk in any recipe that calls for sour cream to make a creamy soup, but could I add a can of coconut milk to any soup/stew recipe to make it into a creamier soup? I pondered this as I was enjoying my chipotle chicken soup the other day... I thought it would make a great creamy soup as well and wondered about adding coconut milk. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I add some to my scrambled eggs to make them fluffier.  You can pretty much add it to anything. Also, if a recipe calls for this almond milk, you could sub in coconut milk like I did with this delicious Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo dish last week (that we are still talking about:)

http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/10/19/simple-supper-friday-chicken-broccoli-alfredo/

You can use coconut milk for hair, it makes it really silky and soft. I either make a homemade mask (there a lot of recipes) or just add it to my regular conditioner or shampoo.

I never thought about that! I use coconut oil (exclusively) for my post conditioning/heat defense/etc. but I never thought of using the milk as a conditioner!

I make AMAZING coconut milk creamer that is whole30 compliant. And it stays fresh in your fridge for 7 days!

1 can of coconut milk (13.5oz)

2 tablespoons of coconut oil

1 egg

Blend in a hand mixer so it gets all nice and think, foamy, and frothy! Adjust the recipe for the actual amount of coconut milk you have left over! I store mine in a jar and bring it to the office with me so I always have delicious creamer at work (and no temptations!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I add some to my scrambled eggs to make them fluffier.  You can pretty much add it to anything. Also, if a recipe calls for this almond milk, you could sub in coconut milk like I did with this delicious Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo dish last week (that we are still talking about:)

http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/10/19/simple-supper-friday-chicken-broccoli-alfredo/

What did you substitute the butter with?  More ghee?

Archived