Fruit & meat combos

moggle

I only recently seem to have grasped the concept of eating fruit as part of the meal, rather than a snack or dessert at the end.

And I'm loving it.

I've been having banana fried in coconut oil alongside my eggs etc in the mornings. A few days ago I pan-fried some Pink Lady apples to serve with roast pork.

Today I pan fried a home-grown (by someone else) pear and sprinkled with local (and freshly shelled) walnuts to serve alongside a pork cutlet. Divine!

Any suggestions for other tasty fruit/meat combinations? It's Autumn here, so I've missed all the great summer fruits, but there's still plenty of tropical fruit available (and there's always next summer).

I'm happy to eat most meat & fish but a bit hesitant about shrimp/prawns/shellfish

First combos that come to mind:

Pork + fresh apricot + basil! It blew my mind.

Turkey and blueberry sausage + sage/thyme/nutmeg/coriander

Pork + apple is a all time classic

White fish + strawberry salsa is perfect for summer

Salmon and tart apple

Tuna and poached pear

Duck + pear = heaven

Duck + raspberries = heaven2

I am yet to try it but apparently duck and cherry together is very nice. And I've heard of duck and orange together as well.

In France we would often see foie gras paired with fig. I know a lot of people are not ok with foie gras, but it is a very nice combo, so perhaps liver/pate and fig? I'm sure it would be nice with all meats.

Bananas in chicken curry. My dad would make that when I was little and I loved it.

One fall fav for us is parts of a whole chicken + 1-2 leeks (depending on size) + 2-3 thickly sliced apples (not peeled) + fresh rosemary.

Season each chicken part with olive oil, salt + freshly cracked pepper. Bake in oven @ 400 for 40-45 min. (longer if chicken is double layered. The apples help keep moisture in the meat and are wonderfully mashable to eat alongside the dish.

You can go medieval or Moroccan with lamb/goat plus dried fruits (apricot, dates, sultanas) plus "warm" spices such as nutmeg, mace, cinnamon.

Sharp fruits such as rhubarb and gooseberry cut the richness of oily fish (mackerel).

We've made some curry dishes lately that use unripened mango, usually with coconut milk and tamarind in the recipes, too - it's a really nice combo. Had both beef and fish curries with this combo.

We made a mexican pork mole yesterday that used plantains and raisins in the recipe. it was a lot of work, but turned out really well.

Thanks folks, they all sound fab! :)

Especially these:

White fish + strawberry salsa is perfect for summer

Salmon and tart apple

Duck + pear = heaven

Duck + raspberries = heaven2

I LOVE raspberries, so I feel compelled to try that one, but it will probably have to wait till next summer now. I still have plenty of the (gifted) home-grown pears, so I will keep my eye out for some duck.

The salmon/apple sounds really intriguing too. I only started eating fish in the last couple of years and I'm a bit nervous about cooking it - but I need to practice and get more confident.

No worries with fish. Your only tip - do not overcook it.

Strawberry salsa: strawberries, avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, red onion and jalapenjo.

Upgraded version: skip avocado, add kiwi and cucumber.

Salmon and apple: place salmon on a piece of foil, sprinkle salmon with cumin and cinnamon, slice tart apple (sweet doesn't work) and top your fish with the slices (overlapping). Seal the foil, heat oven to 400 degress and bake 15 minyets. Voila.

Plums. Chicken for sure. I am thinking or tenderizing the breast or tight a bit, spread chutney, roll the chicken. Rub with oil and spices, fix with toothpick and bake. Or glaze meat. I think plums will also go with pork. Make some sort of chutney. Add onions, evvoo, sherry vinegar, mustard seeds, ginger and bay leaf. Smth like this. Cook onions, add the rest of the stuff until fragrant, add water and plums. Stirr and simmer until thick. Google to the rescue.

Pears. Lucky you! They go with anything. Like anything. Ragu with mushrooms and pear, how about that? Chicken pear cinnamon stew. Pear also couples good with thyme or rosemary. Add them to the salad.

I am getting hungry :D

Hey, I thought medieval flares too. A few years ago I hosted a medieval feast 14th C. style and made a salmon + stewed figs, dates, and raisins + spices pie. It was called "Tart de ffruyte" if anyone want to look it up. You'd need to tweek it to make it Whole30 (like omit the crust) but it was a surprisingly tasty combo.

Can't wait til our local berry farm is ready for strawberries in July. The strawberry salsa sounds great for meal 1!

I've been having banana fried in coconut oil alongside my eggs etc in the mornings.

I tried this this morning, and also added some leftover diced sweet potatoes... The combo was delicious!!! Just thought I'd pass the info along to whoever likes sweet potatoes and bananas. They go great together!

No worries with fish. Your only tip - do not overcook it.

Salmon and apple: place salmon on a piece of foil, sprinkle salmon with cumin and cinnamon, slice tart apple (sweet doesn't work) and top your fish with the slices (overlapping). Seal the foil, heat oven to 400 degress and bake 15 minyets. Voila.

Strawberry salsa: strawberries, avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, red onion and jalapenjo.

Upgraded version: skip avocado, add kiwi and cucumber.

I will give the fish a go one lunch time. Most fish is two or three times as expensive as beef here, so I want to experiment in a small amount!

And the strawb salsa sounds lush!

Plums. Chicken for sure. I am thinking or tenderizing the breast or tight a bit, spread chutney, roll the chicken. Rub with oil and spices, fix with toothpick and bake. Or glaze meat. I think plums will also go with pork. Make some sort of chutney. Add onions, evvoo, sherry vinegar, mustard seeds, ginger and bay leaf. Smth like this. Cook onions, add the rest of the stuff until fragrant, add water and plums. Stirr and simmer until thick. Google to the rescue.

Pears. Lucky you! They go with anything. Like anything. Ragu with mushrooms and pear, how about that? Chicken pear cinnamon stew. Pear also couples good with thyme or rosemary. Add them to the salad.

I am getting hungry :D

I'm getting hungry too. I like your pear ideas. I better use the pears up though. Once they ripen, they go over real fast and it would be a shame to waste them!

You can go medieval or Moroccan with lamb/goat plus dried fruits (apricot, dates, sultanas) plus "warm" spices such as nutmeg, mace, cinnamon.

Hey, I thought medieval flares too. A few years ago I hosted a medieval feast 14th C. style and made a salmon + stewed figs, dates, and raisins + spices pie. It was called "Tart de ffruyte" if anyone want to look it up. You'd need to tweek it to make it Whole30 (like omit the crust) but it was a surprisingly tasty combo.

I like the idea of lamb with dates and apricots. And I really want to try cooking goat - there's a guy at the farmer's market who sells goat but I've been too nervous to ask how much it is!

Archived