Outback Steakhouse

What DID you eat? (I'm starting my whole 30 in 2 days and curious about what folks are able to find when they eat out.)

I went to eat at Outback on a regular basis when I did my W30! I usually order the Outback Special making sure to tell them no butter (most restaurants add butter at the end of the cooking process to make it look at shiny and pretty) and the mixed veggies with no butter. They have two different options for cooking their steaks...standard flat-iron grill and wood-fired. I have done both and also asked that they use little to no oil when cooking. I have also order the baked sweet potato with no toppings. Outback is one of the best places for modifying their foods and their steaks are really good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We eat out all over the place in the Houston area, and we say "no bread, please" as soon as they take our drink order. (which is water or unsweetend iced tea). The waiters never look at us twice, and often they will ask if we want croutons on our salad, etc. I think the food service industry is starting to get it...a little!

I order the small filet, mixed veggies/with no butter, and got the sweet potato fries/with no honey :)

Make sure to ask that they cook the steak with no butter or anything also. Just add salt and pepper when they bring it to you :)

I order the small filet, mixed veggies/with no butter, and got the sweet potato fries/with no honey :)

And be careful with the Sweet Potato Fries...do you ask what kind of oil they are cooked in?

Also be careful at Outback about their seasoning.  They were one of the earliest restaurants I know of that adopted a gluten free menu and one of the things they say on the gluten free menu is to ask for the steak without seasoning because it contains some ingredients that would offend a celiac. (All of the Outback-owned restaurants, including Carrabba's and Bonefish Grill, have gluten-free menus.)

That is also one of my preferred restaurants since I am on the Whole30.  

• 4 months later...

Be careful with the sweet potato fries.  I used to work there and although 90% of their food is fresh, the sweet potato fries are not.  They have many chemicals and preservatives.  I would stick to steaks, steamed veggies or plain sweet potato's.  The house salad is good too -- bet get it on romain w/o cheese and croutons and add slivered almonds. 

Archived