How much fruit is everybody eating?

dcgoff

I pick my own berries and freeze them - and then enjoy them the rest of the year, in a little bowl, with chunks of fresh orange. This can restore my will to live during a stretch of dark winter weather.

What's an "uzhe", Meadowlily? Seeing your name reminds me of "drive by fruitings" - which I am still quoting with a smile.

Stegner,   Uzhe.  The usual.

Uzhe. Abbreviation for 'Usual'. (also sometimes spelled 'yoozhe').

Can we talk among ourselves.  Snackity Whole 30's  can lend themselves into feastings on Day 31.  For 30 days they recommend that you slay that sugar/carb dragon.  Fruits and nuts are a throwback to snackity and can result in feastings on Day 31. 

I've been at this awhile and I do not eliminate fruit.  It's been my observation that thrill eaters go for sugar sugar and upside down sugars when left to their own devices.  I don't know why that actual meals are not their first thought  as a deterrent to allowing the sugar/carb dragon to take over again.

That's still a mystery to me.

I would prefer to go out for a steak or fish, ribs or chops than to the ice cream joint or candy shop.   I have not eliminated fruit and I believe that after 2 years that has helped me.  It is enough.

I don't think it's the sugar hit I'm after but appreciation for the berry glow.  I stick to mostly berries but I'm not shouting anyone down for eating a green apple, plum, peach or what have you.

If you're forgoing fruit for 30 days then add back those 1-2 pieces in.  For the love of drive-by fruitings.   Far better to eat 2 pieces of fruit aday than to return to the scene of the crime with all of the sugar sugars/upside down sugars and snackity multi-crap.

I've been tooling down the road for 2 years.   To quote something at the hospital I read recently.  To eliminate all of your favorite foods causes food obsessions and is not mentally healthy.

I believe it.   If I had dialed the template down to a nub...I would not be here 2 years down the road with weight stability.  Mentally,  I would have rebelled and started back in with thrill eating.  Does that reasonable amount of fruit help me.   I think it does.  It has kept me from rebounding with every single pound.     

I know I can peruse the perimeter of the grocery store and eat anything I want there.  It's where the whole foods hang out.   I'm free that way.   Anything less than and I'd feel I was back at Shawshank.

Ha! This thread was resurrected from three years ago! 

I'm only on Day 8. Some days I have none, some days one serving, some days two servings. I have had no sugar cravings at all, whether it was a no fruit day or a two-serving fruit day. The days I have fruit, I usually have a small handful of blackberries and blueberries after eating my full protein/veggie/fat breakfast and an orange after supper. I enjoy the fruit very much, but I'm not eating it because the sugar dragon is calling.

My last Whole30, I ate fruit whenever I felt like it. Bananas with nut butters were awesome. I also didn't lose any weight and crashed and burned after the 30 days were over. Looking back, I think the two were very connected. Yes, I was nursing, and so I was "allowed" to snack. But I didn't do myself any favors.

This time I am pregnant, and so I could also use that as a reason to snack. But I almost always save fruit to have with lunch or dinner. A big, compliant salad and a banana? Sure. An apple with my chicken legs and roasted veggies? No problem. But what I won't let myself do is walk past the bananas on the counter and go, "Ooohhhh. Bananas!! I can have one. Or three...." For me, it's helped with mental discipline, my sugar dragon, and I think has helped my blood sugar stay stable.

Most days, I have fruit once or twice, with a meal or mini meal.

I'm not perfect, and have had a few days, like yesterday, where I ate fruit and veggies as a snack, which is not really following the template. I was heading out of the house to a place full of sugar treats, and didn't have any protein and fat easily available to take with me. I decided an orange and carrot sticks was better than going crazy staring at cake. It worked out ok, although I think I was hungrier by lunch time than if I had just not eaten anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Advanced Member who writes, I love this post. It has a lot of wisdom and common sense. I am on day 25 and still using fruit as a meal and then trying to supplement with nuts and other stuff to make up for it. eating meals in the morning is just not something I want to do. Trying to get a handle on it and making it work. Thanks for the input.

I've found that pairing fruit with protein for a meal works better than eating it alone as a snack.  For lunch, I'll make an omelet and add a mashed banana or cubed apples and some walnuts and cinnamon.

It takes the cravings away and I feel full for a long time.

Leaning on fruit during your first Whole 30, fruit heavy is not optimum.   Fruit should not shove vege off your plate.  Vege is the hero actor of the day and fruit is the stunt double.  

Fruit = stunt double.  Doesn't get the same billing as the main vege actor but still has value. Nutritionally, vege will always have its' name in the marquee lights.  Fruit hangs back in the wings.  :ph34r: 

Fruit has value for me.   After 30 days of being fruitless, if you fall immediately back into refined food sugars....what if that one or two pieces of fruit had made all of the difference between going back to the SAD  vs. being able to pull away from food obsessions and sugar sugars.  

What if the small value in fruit was just enough to curb food obsessions.   What if knowing that the small value of fruit was the beauty you needed not to feel deprived while others are eating piles of frosting or sliding back off the goose into the bakery dept. 

What if...all that stands between you and that next thrill eating cycle is one piece of fruit.  One allowance that make you feel apart of life and being amongst the living.  That's what fruit does for me.  

It was the stopgap measure that allowed me to be standing here 2 years later without self-pity or sorrow.  Fruit has value for me. roman-smiley.gif?1292867663  It is my stunt double.  It does all of the high flying while vege gets the top billing.

• Moderators

I eat fruit to keep my blood sugar in control, especially if I'm not having another carby food at a meal. That means that often I eat fruit 3 times a day. 

If you're eating template meals that keep you going for 4-5 hours between meals, your blood sugar should be very stable... fruit spikes the blood sugar, so if you need the fruit to keep your levels stable, that tells me they are dropping drastically and that perhaps your meals aren't sufficient for the 4-5 hours.

If you're using the fruit to 'feel better' as in 'feel no cravings' then that's not really a good use of fruit and we don't suggest it, altho that's just a recommendation.

If you're eating template meals that keep you going for 4-5 hours between meals, your blood sugar should be very stable... fruit spikes the blood sugar, so if you need the fruit to keep your levels stable, that tells me they are dropping drastically and that perhaps your meals aren't sufficient for the 4-5 hours.

If you're using the fruit to 'feel better' as in 'feel no cravings' then that's not really a good use of fruit and we don't suggest it, altho that's just a recommendation.

I am meeting with my endocrinologist tomorrow to talk about halving my diabetes medication. I had an appointment with her already, but it's convenient that I'm seeing her during the Whole30 (day 5 tomorrow). I'm okay with less fruit. Right now, it's a balancing thing. I had a blood sugar of 67 before dinner and did have a cup of juice to treat it to avoid hard candy or other such traditional methods. Dinner included protein, tons of vegetables, and a small serving of shredded potatoes in the stew/soup. 

I do not advocate for others to eat the amount of fruit I'm having right now. I wasn't on this medication for my diabetes when I did the Whole30 three years ago so it was not a problem. 

Hopefully, after tomorrow, I will be cutting it back. The carbs in vegetables just aren't doing the trick in concert with the medication. 

P.S. I only keep juice around for blood sugar lows. Other than that, it is off limits for these 30 days other than cooking. I also have read the book from cover to cover in 2013 and re-skimmed it in 2016. I'm hopefully not encouraging others to eat too much in the way of fruits :)

Archived