Beef Bone Broth

Jinkse21

I made bone broth in the crockpot overnight and all day and smelled so good! I strained it and got all the icky stuff out and it looked so pretty with the glistening fat on top but then I started wondering if it the broth should be that fatty. Does anyone separate the fat from the broth and use the fat for cooking? Should I just leave it alone, scoop, and reheat??

You can do whichever. I chill it and remove the fat because I don't like oily broth. My last batch was not from grassfed cows so I did not want it. If it were from gf cows, I probably would try cooking with it to see if I liked it.

I think I am going to take off the fat after it's chilled. I plan on keeping the fat for cooking.

I did some research to find out more info on the benefits of bone broth and I found a great, informative site... http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broths-adrenals-bones-teeth/

I guess I will be making bone broth a lot! I save my chicken carcass and threw it the freezer so I can add more to it.

I chill and skim the fat, too. And save it to use in cooking.

I also am loving a cup of broth in the morning. My super picky 5yo has been taking chicken soup to school and told me I make the best broth. Made my day. Of course he hasn't finished his soup since, but it's a start.

That's a great article Jinkse. I skim the fat off when I use the broth but I save it and cook with it, it's the best flavour ever on roast veg. Mark Sissons suggested, if you're not using your broth right away, to leave the fat on top as it seals the broth away from the air and helps keep it fresh.

I keep all my bones in labeled gallon sized freezer bags. Haven't been consistent enough yet to get a full one of anything but chicken. I always make chicken broth as soon as I cook a whole chicken. I only take the fat off if I'm drinking it. If I'm using it in soup I just pour the whole thing in. I like to store my broth in quart sized mason jars in the fridge.

I took off the layer of fat to reveal a nice jell-o-e broth! I saved the fat layer to use for cooking and warmed up a cup. It's good but I guess I need to add some seasoning to it so it's not so bland.

I took off the layer of fat to reveal a nice jell-o-e broth! I saved the fat layer to use for cooking and warmed up a cup. It's good but I guess I need to add some seasoning to it so it's not so bland.

Did you add onions, carrots and celery? I also add ten peppercorns one bay leaf and one clove. Then when I use it, I add a little salt.

I usually throw in a small head of garlic and some ginger, in addition to bay leaves and peppercorns. I don't like carrots. In think they add a cloying sweetness, but I do like onions. Celery does not do much, but I throw in leaves and bits if I have them.

And yes, salt! (Try smoked sea salt if you find it. Yum. Mad good on everything, especially broth.) Almost every time I make broth I taste it and I'm like, "ehhh," and then I remember the salt.

One tip - only add seasonings when you heat it up not when you make it- you may want to use your chicken broth to make another dish and you could want totally different seasonings. When I heat up my broth I usually put in garlic salt and sometimes fish sauce for a little umami. When I have a cold I like to add some garlic and red pepper to clear out the sinuses

If the sources of bones are not organic, grass fed, etc, etc, etc... would you still use the fat from the broth to cook with?

I say no because the fat is where the toxins from stress and icky stuff are stored.

Sometimes I buy crosscut longbones, marrow bones, neck bones from the meat man. But I also like to use bones that are leftover from some kind of meat we ate for dinner like ribs or a roasted chicken. It keeps me in the broth making habit to have bone-in meats on hand because I would never just throw those bones out.

What kind of bones does everyone use? I've been paleo for awhile, whole30'd 4 times,but I never have made broth! I'm missing out

I always gets overwhelmed with choosing bones. Which are your faves?

I do what Moluv does. I buy a variety of bones from WF and another locally owned WF type store. I get the big round soup bones, lamb neck bones and then I save veggie scraps and bones of my own and stick it all in the freezer until I am ready to make stock. I am a bone broth ingredient hoarder. :0)

I have a running bag in the freezer for bones. I will buy a whole pastured chicken once a week and then add whatever bones are in my freezer bag. Having a chicken neck (he pastured chickens I buy come with them attached) and back (I cut the back out to spatchcock) seem to really add nicely to the gelatin factor. Ive heard feet are great but I don't have a good source ATM.

I want to get into more beef bones, but I do like to have just beef broth on hand for cooking. So I tend to keep my animal Classes (Orders? --Mammals and birds) separate. But I know I should mix them all up for max nutrition.

I've always wanted to be more consistent in my stock making, and this WOE forces my hand. I love it. A hot cup of broth feels so good and nourishing.

Archived