Working my way through 30 days

Terresa

I dove in head first on May 1st. It has been a frustrating week. I have never put so much thought into food. It would all be worth it, if I felt any change at all, but I don't. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I now don't want to eat. I loved vegetables, until a couple of days ago. I liked proteins until then too. Now, I just don't want to eat. It's not that I'm craving sugar. That really hasn't bothered me.

I should mention that I was grain, legumes, and nightshade (also yams and other high-starch veggies) free for a year, due to starch issues. Then my doctor talked me into trying to ease back onto the legumes, then yams, and then some ancient whole grains. I did that during the course of this last year. So, having to cut them all out again was frustrating.

But going without cheese, yoghurt, and ice cream is harder. Oddly enough, the cheese is the hardest one to do without.

I have a neuro-immune disease that makes the "feel better," noninflammatory aspect of the paleo diet sound so appealing. But I also gained 15 pounds very quickly during the weeks in early 2011 that I could hardly eat (as we later discovered, because of starch). My body went into "famine mode" and stored what little I did keep down. So now I'm very cognizant of my caloric intake. I don't want this to happen again.

But now I don't want to eat.

The extra weight is hard on my muscles and joints, and increases my pain level. But I have been unable to lose it. And I have not lost an ounce this past week.

That would not be so frustrating were it not that I don't feel any improvement at all, and now i don't want to eat, which could cause me to gain more weight, if I don't force myself to take in 1200 calories each day.

Right now, I'm thinking that quitting is better than risking gaining more weight!

Today, my appetite and desire to eat is still pretty much nonexistent. I am still using the calorie tracker to watch that I'm not eating too few calories. That unfortunately only works if I update it through the day. Since I didn't complete the entries yesterday (lack of time), I took in less than 1200 calories again yesterday. I am so worried that I'm going to trigger my body's famine response again!

As for my symptoms, I am the same as usual. No improvement that I can feel.

So far, for breakfast, I have managed to make myself eat tuna, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and a touch of almond butter. The veggies are still looking at me, but I almost gag at the thought of putting them into my mouth. I used to love veggies....

Yesterday's two eggs, with spinach and mushrooms, seasoned with tarragon and cooked in a touch of olive oil was more successful. But I just couldn't make myself eat eggs again today. So I need to make myself eat these veggies....

:unsure:

Lunch: 2 egg, spinach and mushroom frittata, with a dash of fajita seasoning, cooked in olive oil

Dinner: baked salmon, small baked yam, and spring greens, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Snack: almonds and an apple

Eating remains a frustrating necessity, despite choosing tasty foods I usually like. Dinner was good, but I didn't quite finish the salmon. Had to add an apple for "dessert" to get close to 1200 calories though. I'm going to end up spoiling my W30, trying to eat enough calories not to trigger my body's stupid famine response!

Thank you!

Today, I managed to eat 2 hard-boiled eggs, with carrots and a bit of almond butter, for breakfast. And just moments ago I realized that I forgot to eat lunch.

Needless to say, this is not good....

Spent the weekend away at a sporting event, with Allan and our boys. I managed to stick to my diet! If I made any slips, they're unknown to me, and not from lack of trying. I was fortunate enough to discover a cook in the restaurant at our hotel who is Celiac and was very understanding about my food requirements (since my grain and nightshade issues cause a remarkably similar reaction to her Celiac). But not having a fridge in our hotel room (I was sure there was one last time we stayed there) and the irregular eating schedule (very much set according to the racing schedule) sure posed a challenge! Still, I have survived.

I have also come to the conclusion that the stress of counting and recording calories to ensure a minimum daily intake of 1200 has got to be worse for me than being a bit short of that minimum. So I have quit i hope that this is a wise decision, and not a serious mistake, but the obsession with food and recording was just ridiculous and completely destroyed my interest in eating, which is the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish!

Today is Day 15. I have an appetite. (Yay!) Although I haven't been logging my meals, I have been doing well, using the meal plan template, and I feel better not counting calories. Dealing with each meal separately has taken a huge weight off my shoulders. I am a Mediterranean-style shopper anyway (which works best for fresh stuff in our household), so planning for a day is far more my style than for a week or more, unless we're camping. :lol:

Gods, but I love asparagus season! :D

So, yes, meals went well yesterday. Today my challenge is to plan meals for the long weekend. Monday is a statutory holiday here, and today is a professional development day for school teachers, so a 4 day weekend for the kids; The Victoria Day weekend is always the 5-race weekend here, where we travel to BMX tracks here on the island from a base camp roughly at a mid-point. So, my partner, 3 boys, and me all need to be fed between this evening and Monday evening. The Mediterranean shopper in me is already grumbling about the advanced planning! :lol:

I do know that I'm going to hard-boil at least half a dozen eggs, and package up a bunch of raw veggies to keep me fed while we're at the BMX tracks. Portable lunches are a must!

Funny, but the hardest part for me right now seems to be coming up with dinners for Allan and the kids. :lol:

You're doing great with your planning and also with asking for help to get your needs met, like with the chef. You've got your groove going so I can understand how your partner and kids could be more of a challenge.

Good job!

Thanks, Calee! Words of encouragement sure do help!

We arrived home rather late last evening, and it was a tiring but relatively successful long weekend. The kids sure enjoyed camping, and it was really great to be out relaxing around the campfire in the evenings with so many awesome people. But the erratic meal schedule once again disagreed with my body. And wow but I didn't realize how much camping food revolves around carbs! Everyone was cooking and passing around things that I had to politely turn down, until the bbq'ed prawns! Those were awesome! Despite the temptations, I kept to my diet, and did my best to eat at something vaguely resembling meal times.

And it's been 4 days since I took any Nexium! Whoohoo!

Today is Day 22. Yesterday was a "back home and back to normal" day. Meals are back to being so relaxed and easy (love that template!) that I really have to think to remember what I ate yesterday! No more obsessing feels wonderful!

And it's day 5 without Nexium! Now to figure out how to support the growth of good digestive bacteria....

Got over-enthused about veggies at breakfast today, and ended up with enough asparagus, zucchini, and mushrooms in my scramble to make two meals! :lol:

Yesterday was another good food day. Veggie scramble for breakfast, and salmon and salad for lunch. Dinner was sirloin, with sauteed broccoli, mushrooms, and onions in garlic-olive oil. I love veggies! Lost that for awhile, and I'm so glad it's back!

Today is Day 6 without Nexium, with no signs of needing it at all! And! I no longer feel or look bloated! :D

On day 26, and doing well. We are at our trailer for the weekend, which actually makes it easier, since it's just the two of us. My partner ate exactly the same thing that I did for dinner Friday and Saturday, and he really enjoyed both meals. And he has complimented me on my dedication to my W30 more than once, but is still not interested in joining me for more than the occasional meal.

I looked into the organic produce delivery company here in town, and (I may have known this before, but forgot) they deliver in our area between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Fridays. That would only work for us if they delivered on Thursdays (or another weekday), since we either take our boys racing, which means leaving the house in the early a.m., or go to our trailer on Friday afternoons for the weekend. Ah well, picking things out in person is more time consuming, but it is fun.

Hilary's birthday is on June 1, and I was trying to think of something that I could have with everyone, since it's after my W30. But I've decided that I don't want to try any of the three options that she'd like for her day: cake; cheesecake; or ice cream cake. Too many variables to add back all at once, and just not worth the risk to me.

Today is my Day 27, and 10 days without Nexium! I want to do another W30 to give my digestive system a real chance to heal, before I try adding anything back.

Besides, I'm loving the veggie scrambles for breakfast! :lol:

Grumpy today, but that's not at all related to my W30. I think I'm catching a cold. One of the kids has it, and another seems to be feeling stuffed up, with a sore throat, too. I'm having one of those, "if only I could run away from home for a couple of weeks," days.

Day 29, and almost 2 weeks without the Nexium. I have put it away in the cupboard, instead of keeping it with me, I am that confident that I don't need it anymore!

Keeping the cold at bay. I know it's there, but hasn't hit me like the usual ton of bricks, which is more awesome than I can describe!

Getting my hair cut this afternoon. Inspired by folks here posting about how great it feels to have their hair done. It just sounded like such an awesome idea!

Well, it's Day 30. It's kind of anticlimactic. *lol* My objective was to stop the Nexium. I believe I have done that. I haven't taken any in a couple of weeks. But I already celebrated that. *lol*

This wasn't a huge change for me though, so I wasn't expecting anything too dramatic, except getting of the medication, which I wasn't sure was even possible. I think that, if I'm looking for a standard W30 experience (energy, wieght-loss, improved sleep, etc.), I should be counting from the point where the Nexium left my system. I firmly believe that the medication (besides being known to cause bloating and weight-gain) would have held back any of the other beneficial effects of the W30, at least for me.

So, I shall carry on through to the end of June and make this a W30+weigh and measure day+30.

Thank you, Derval!

Well, today is my weigh-and-measure day. *lol*

• weight -5 lbs
  • bust -1 1/4"
  • waist -1 3/4"
  • hips -1 1/2"

And, for the best part, I now fit into my shorts from last summer, without the tummy bulge!

I'm nowhere near having a flat tummy, but I no longer look like I'm expecting. *lol* But 4 children and a far amount of lose skin will make a flat tummy pretty much impossible, I'm thinking, so not at all expecting that.

So, I reached my goal! I'm off the stomach acid suppressant! And I have a bonus of losing the bloat and a bit of chub! I'm actually healing!!! For someone who has been living with chronic illness for as long as I have, this is HUGE!!!

(we need a bouncy emoticon! *lol*)

I've just realized something else! Well, 2 something-elses, actually.

1. I am drinking about 1/4 the amount of coffee in the morning, than I used to. I restricted myself at the beginning of this W30, but now I don't even want more than a cup. I think I used to drink so much because of the sugar in the flavoured non-dairy creamer that I used to "treat" myself to. That treat had become a daily indulgence in chemicals and sugar that I don't miss now in the slightest!
  2. My sleeping patterns may be as erratic as ever, but I wake up in the morning actually awake! Rather than feeling groggy, foggy, and very much like I need to get some sleep, I am actually awake!

More bonuses to be excited about!

(yep, really need a bouncy emoticon! :lol: )

Fitting into old shorts is such a nice sensation!! Congratulations. Your positive results are good for me to read about. I feel loads better than I did before my first Whole30 in April, but I still have aches and pains and dependencies so it's nice to read of other people healing!

Congratulations on completing your W30! That's awesome. I think it's interesting that so many of us that started May 1st are continuing on.

Getting of the nexus must be a biggie for you. For me it was my 1/4 of an ambien at night. I'm down to about once a week.

I can relate about the coffee. I quit completely on Day 15. I think it's because our energy is so much improved.

Yay on getting into the shorts you wore last summer. And five pounds is terrific for a month!

Let's carry on! :)

Archived